Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crow Shooting.

• 01-12-2017 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello Lads. Can anyone tell me if you need a licence from the department to shoot crows at certain times of the year or can you shoot them all year round without licence.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

This thread here covers what can/can't be shot at various stages of the year:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315625

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Have a read of the yearly derogation to the wild life act in respect to wild birds, there are still some conditions and terms associated with the killing of particular covids over the period it's in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You can shoot them all year round without a licence if they are causing damage as stated under the derogations mentioned above. There is also a general open season on them during the winter months but again check the derogations for the fine details on the NPWS website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I currently have 2 grey crows causing serious damage to my car . They have pulled off the wipers and scratched the wing mirrors and paint. I cover the car but now they are attacking the house windows. I ha e tried noise decoys but the feckers keep coming back.

I don't have a gun or neighbours with them. What are my options to deal with them. At my wits end

CptMackey wrote: »
    I currently have 2 grey crows causing serious damage to my car . They have pulled off the wipers and scratched the wing mirrors and paint. I cover the car but now they are attacking the house windows. I ha e tried noise decoys but the feckers keep coming back.

I don't have a gun or neighbours with them. What are my options to deal with them. At my wits end

Usually its cos they can see their reflection in the window - best option is to hang a cloth or use the blinds on the inside to block light coming in and stop the birds seeing this reflection. It should only be for a couple of days till they move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You can shoot them all year round without a licence if they are causing damage as stated under the derogations mentioned above. There is also a general open season on them during the winter months but again check the derogations for the fine details on the NPWS website

Minus jay, chough and raven.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DubPredator

If you hang a dead crow in the garden it usually deters them. Granted this might not be practical but it does work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If you have a local gun club they might be able to give you a loan of a Larsen trap. Not too difficult to build one, plenty of building instructions online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

CptMackey wrote:

CptMackey wrote:

!! Thankfully you don't have a gun. You can't let off a gun near a house old chap. Little thing called the law. Pellets would also make a balls of your windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

An Ri rua wrote: »
    !! Thankfully you don't have a gun. You can't let off a gun near a house old chap. Little thing called the law. Pellets would also make a balls of your windows...

Absolutely no such law little or big dictating minimum distance from a dwelling for shooting a gun, now I'm not saying you should stand out in the back garden of your standard semi d poping crows common sense surely prevails here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I am hoping to shoot jackdaws and crows for a friend. There is one crux I can't shoot around the yard. The place is alive with same. If I used a crow/pigeon magnet would I be able to draw crow's away from yard with it. Noise of shots going off is the problem.

I am hoping to shoot jackdaws and crows for a friend. There is one crux I can't shoot around the yard. The place is alive with same. If I used a crow/pigeon magnet would I be able to draw crow's away from yard with it. Noise of shots going off is the problem.

Possibly - a ladder trap in the yard is another option

Would a Larsen trap work for Jackdaws this time of year.

Would a Larsen trap work for Jackdaws this time of year.

Should do - I had one yesterday trying to break into a nut hanging feeder I had out for the small birds so they must be hungry atm!!:confused:

I saw somewhere that using one crow on a magnet is better than using two crows. Has anyone any experience of doing this. What would you use as a counter balance.

Just to clarify. Can we or can't we use plastic crow decoys to shoot crows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Can't......

Advertisement