Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new bike - up to €2500

Options
  • 01-12-2017 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    Looking to get a new bike and I'm trying to figure out the best options I have up to the €2500 price range. Currently using a Felt F95 which I bought in 2012. Sora gears and aluminium frame.
    I was thinking of the 2018 Giant Propel Advanced 1 €2300. This is a fully carbon, full ultegra bike. It looks pretty slick being a aero road bike. The only problem is the wheels on it aren't great.
    I can't seem to see another bike company offering a similar machine for that price.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What type of bike are you looking for? Does it have to be an aero road bike or are you looking for something more comfortable/endurance style? Might help people narrow down what's out there.

If I had 2300 euro I'd be looking at the obligatory canyon bike,

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-8-0.html

This seems a good deal and would leave you with a fair chunk of change to upgrade the wheels too,

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing-ultegra-black-friday/

Personally I like the look of the orbea's,

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2631/orbea-orca#description-tab-tab

You really have a lot of choice at that price, the majority of bikes are priced similarly enough, while you might get better wheels on one bike you might not get a full Ultegra groupset (might be a different crank usually, or brakes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Great bike. If you go to a bricks & mortar bike shop, they may do you a deal where they will give you credit for the stock wheels against buying something better from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For 2.5k you ought to be able find a good frame with Di2.

This is only 200 over budget:

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/endurace-cf-8-0-di2.html

For non-racing use I would expect that to be a much nicer bike to ride than the Propel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pippy527

Sorry, I should have given more detail. Part of the 2500 I have to use is 1000 from the bike to work scheme. So I would need to purchase in store I think? Do any retailers in Ireland stock the Canyon bikes? I’m based in Dublin but can travel.
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]That canyon looks amazing. I would not necessarily be using it for racing nor am I intent on an aero road bike. More long cycles, sportive and the odd triathlon.  [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Canyon is direct order only. But some employers will deal with them, that's up to your employer, best bet is to ask them and see if they have a supplier list or how they administer the scheme.

The Orbea is in Fitzcycles in Stillorgan. I'm only mentioning that because it's my favourite of the bunch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it canyon who have stopped dealing with the BTW scheme, in that they won't split an invoice in two?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

is it canyon who have stopped dealing with the BTW scheme, in that they won't split an invoice in two?

Canyon don't deal with a 'scheme', they deal with your employer, who buys a bike from them. There's no need to split an invoice.

Whether you can avail of the BTW to get a Canyon bike really depends on the flexibility of your company's accounts department. In my case they simply paid for the bike using the company PayPal account.

Canyon were a bit awkward when I asked for a new invoice reflecting a discount which was applied as a refund after purchase (the racing license discount they offer on some bikes), but in the end it wasn't needed. Canyon customer service isn't great, but the bikes and the prices are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Canyon don't deal with a 'scheme', they deal with your employer, who buys a bike from them. There's no need to split an invoice.

Whether you can avail of the BTW to get a Canyon bike really depends on the flexibility of your company's accounts department. In my case they simply paid for the bike using the company PayPal account.
    iirc, it was a request to one online distributor, to split the bill into two - one sum of €1000 to be paid by the employer, the balance to be paid by the employee, and they wouldn't play ball. i'm probably completely misremembering that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-x-lite-crs-ultegra-6870-di2/aid:885951

2350 for this! There are a few discounted models around this time of year and this looks a good deal to me. You can change the spec of a lot of the components as well.
    I have used Rose for a bike and clothing and spares in the past and they are really good to deal with, so I'm guessing you'll get a straight answer on using BTW with them if you ask them.
    They are an online retailer, like Canyon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

iirc, it was a request to one online distributor, to split the bill into two - one sum of €1000 to be paid by the employer, the balance to be paid by the employee, and they wouldn't play ball. i'm probably completely misremembering that though.

I see. Normally employer can pay for bike in full, deduct 1000 from gross salary and take payment of balance directly from employee or as deduction from net salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pippy527

Thanks for your feedback,
    Have a bit of a follow up question. My work uses travelhub or hubex for the bike to work scheme. So travelhub invoice work, work pays the invoice and then travelhub send me a one4all card with 1000 euro on it.
    I’m wondering, could I transfer that 1000 euro to my paypal or something similar and just pay for the bike online with my own money plus the 1000 euro from work?
    Has anyone who has had to use travelhub insight on the card that you get from them? Is it a bike shop specific card?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

yep, I did it this way and bought a Campy Ultimate CF. A delay in delivery meant that they were going to apply a discount but to save accounting hassle I just got them to throw in a bike bag instead.
    It all depends on your accounts dept. really as to how much they're willing to deviate from the easiest option.

**edit** Just to clarify, unless you're using one of the middleman schemes (which it looks like you are) then there's no need for any retailer to know you're using the BTW scheme - it is 100% an agreement between you and your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I just got a great bike off wiggle in Black Friday deals. Full carbon full ultegra Eddy Merckx bike for reasonable money. Wiggle seem to be great value.

If you like giant check out Ash Cycles in the UK. Good value on previous year's models and I've bought from them before without a hitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

joey100 wrote: »
    What type of bike are you looking for? Does it have to be an aero road bike or are you looking for something more comfortable/endurance style? Might help people narrow down what's out there.

If I had 2300 euro I'd be looking at the obligatory canyon bike,

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-8-0.html

This seems a good deal and would leave you with a fair chunk of change to upgrade the wheels too,

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing-ultegra-black-friday/

Personally I like the look of the orbea's,

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2631/orbea-orca#description-tab-tab

You really have a lot of choice at that price, the majority of bikes are priced similarly enough, while you might get better wheels on one bike you might not get a full Ultegra groupset (might be a different crank usually, or brakes).

Those Orbeas do look good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Having nothing at all to do with them, except been so happy with the first bike that I got one for my wife, a year or two later...the Columbus Genius carbon frames from ciclicorsa.com can be built up any way you like (and painted any way you like). Especially if you already have a wheelset or a saddle that you've upgraded in the past and want to keep, this can be a good way to get a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I think if I had 2 grand ish to buy a bike and it had to be new, I'd be looking at a cannondale caad12 ultegra.
    Everyone can't be wrong about them, and if they're even half as good as people say they are then.... I don't see how you could go wrong.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/cannondale-caad12-ultegra-road-bike.html

Either that or a canyon sumfink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Rather than start another n+1 thread, I'll hijack...

Looking at Giant's, so all other things are equal, is full ultegra worth the extra over full 105? Difference would go towards (most likely) a power meter, or maybe a wheel upgrade from stock...

Advertisement