Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam European Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

I’m watching Let’s Play Two

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Find it very hard to believe but i heard it last week also that it is going to happen . Still cant see it happening to be honest . Hope i am wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

exilec wrote: »
    Find it very hard to believe but i heard it last week also that it is going to happen . Still cant see it happening to be honest . Hope i am wrong !

Same here..would be very surprising with those in the know saying they have no shows lined up but this is better than no news..although prob FAKE NEWS!

It's just been a great tour and I don't want it to end. On that note, it's early days of course, but there's word on the ground that the boys might be back to Europe next year. To add to that, it might have been just lip service to a fan on the street, but a central PJ member says Ireland will be included.

Add the new Dublin Live rumour to the above that I wrote back in early July, and it's hard for me not to get a bit excited about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Not a mention of it on the ten club forum . Always a great place to get information (although mostly wrong !). Trying not to get too excited yet :)

Add the new Dublin Live rumour to the above that I wrote back in early July, and it's hard for me not to get a bit excited about this.

Amen..ill cling to that :)

exilec wrote: »
    Not a mention of it on the ten club forum . Always a great place to get information (although mostly wrong !). Trying not to get too excited yet :)

Thats whats throwing me but they cant know everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That'd be a lovely way to spend a night now, it'd be unreal if true

Amazing!

So, what is the capacity and sound like?
    And how best to get to it, drive, Dublin bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just take my money lads. Hope it happens!

Mushy wrote: »
    That'd be a lovely way to spend a night now, it'd be unreal if true

I really like that venue especially if on a sunny saturday night and no work the next day..ok i need me bed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Meh not a big fan of open field gigs but really enjoyed the o2 show a few months back and you know they will give us a top show

Dont they do Malahide gigs in blocks ?? So it could be anytime from the 8th June too 22nd ???. Knowing the idiots of promoters they will put it on a few days after Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Its amazing how Pearl Jam are one of the most in-demand live bands on earth , especially since they haven't released a great album since 1998.

You say say a Bob Dylan is still a sell out wherever he goes regardless of the fact nobody listens to his last 30 years worth of albums- but PJ were just a grunge band from Seattle and not a musical icon like Dylan.
    PJ could probably match Dylan in ticket sales and thats fk't up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Burty330 wrote: »
    Its amazing how Pearl Jam are one of the most in-demand live bands on earth , especially since they haven't released a great album since 1998.

PJ wouldn't just match they'd overhaul it's not f'd up you say it yourself the live show is the issue there. PJ gain rave reviews constantly because of their shows whereas Dylan who's voice is pretty much his main instrument and it's damaged, reviews are fairly mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw PJ in June for the first time London and even with Eddie not 100% they were amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You say say a Bob Dylan is still a sell out wherever he goes regardless of the fact nobody listens to his last 30 years worth of albums- but PJ were just a grunge band from Seattle and not a musical icon like Dylan.

But they had 5 excellent albums up to that point, and that's a lot of material. Throw in 2 or 3 good songs from each of the albums after 2008, together with a multitude of quality B-sides and you have some back catalogue.

In any case, their gigs are only partly about the quality of the music. That, along with the unpredictability of what will happen, and the bond that forms between band and audience is what make them a stand out live act. I've only seen them once and it was brill. Unexpectedly, I actually thought the Eddie Vedder solo gig last year surpassed it. Best thing I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

Ok I’ll admit I’m one of those who travelled to several PJ gigs this summer- all amazing. But I just don’t get the mentality of someone to come on a thread dedicated to a particular band and start slagging them off. What kind of response are you looking for? Us all to say yeah your right, Dylan is much better and we’ve all been supporting the wrong thing, we will stop now that you’ve pointed it out? There’s loads of threads in this forum for singer / groups I wouldn’t pay bad money to see and some I’ve never even heard off but funnily enough I don’t click into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

But they had 5 excellent albums up to that point, and that's a lot of material. Throw in 2 or 3 good songs from each of the albums after 2008, together with a multitude of quality B-sides and you have some back catalogue.

In any case, their gigs are only partly about the quality of the music. That, along with the unpredictability of what will happen, and the bond that forms between band and audience is what make them a stand out live act. I've only seen them once and it was brill. Unexpectedly, I actually thought the Eddie Vedder solo gig last year surpassed it. Best thing I was ever at.

Ah, guess who was his Point gig last year :D

I'm one of those people that absolutely loves Binaural, Riot Act and the self titled one so I'll have to disagree there. Backspacer was ok, and the last one Lightning Bolt had a good first half with a weak second half. Definitely hoping for better next time out, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that absolutely loves Binaural, Riot Act and the self titled one so I'll have to disagree there. Backspacer was ok, and the last one Lightning Bolt had a good first half with a weak second half. Definitely hoping for better next time out, though.

Pearl Jam are viewed strangely by some.

When they were huge in the 90s they were seen as 'commercial', mainly on the back of a stupid comment from Kurt that he later pretty much retracted.

Then when they deliberately got out of the limelight, by essentially becoming a cult band, they get criticised for not being successfully commercial, which is used as evidence of their irrelevance.

I for one have enjoyed their lifecycle. I have long accepted that they are not going to feature in charts anymore, but that's a good thing surely.

As you say, bring on another couple albums like Riot Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Really hope this happens but it'll sell out in seconds I'd say. I saw Eddie Vedder in Cork last year and he was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

So what do ye reckon? Will they be calling over? So exciting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Yield was a great album from start to finish. Riot act was good , very good actually - but it wasn't very consistent.
    Half Full is probably one of PJs most underrated tracks. Its incredible.

Everything after that album was an embarrassment by their standards.

The best post Riot Act album was the B-sides compilation - Lost Dogs.

PJ are living off their reputation of being a great live band. A good chunk of the audience wouldn't be familiar with the material off their noughties albums , so its a moot point in regards to the only factor thats keeping them relevant - touring!!

Alice in Chains are raping PJ in the album department but as far as live shows go , its a no-contest to PJ because of the reputation they have for delivering great shows.

They could probably match if not better Bob Dylan ticket sales because of how great they perform live. That was the point i was making. The clue was in the opening sentence when I said how amazing it was.

Typical paddies always interpreting everything negatively!. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dylan sounds like an old cat now ,his voice is gone .
    He doesn't interact with the crowd ,he just comes out plays some songs and walks off .
    He is constantly touring so the demand to see him is reduced,he is mad for money.

Pearl Jam are one of the best live acts in the world.
    They play long shows ,they don't over tour and space out their gigs so as they are fresh.
    They play varied setlists and have lots of crowd interaction .
    They generally charge a flat ticket fee too ,have a good fan club that rewards members with good tickets and they don't rip off fans with platinum/vip bollox.

I liken Pearl Jam and their fanbase to the Grateful Dead. I've seen them 8 times myself but met people in Europe this year that have seen them 40-50 times. Die hard fanbase, the shows are always unpredictable as hell as well - never know what'll get played. They never stick to a setlist. Fantastic band. One of the all time greatest in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yield was a great album from start to finish. Riot act was good , very good actually - but it wasn't very consistent.
    Half Full is probably one of PJs most underrated tracks. Its incredible.

Everything after that album was an embarrassment by their standards.

The best post Riot Act album was the B-sides compilation - Lost Dogs.

PJ are living off their reputation of being a great live band. A good chunk of the audience wouldn't be familiar with the material off their noughties albums , so its a moot point in regards to the only factor thats keeping them relevant - touring!!

Alice in Chains are raping PJ in the album department but as far as live shows go , its a no-contest to PJ because of the reputation they have for delivering great shows.

They could probably match if not better Bob Dylan ticket sales because of how great they perform live. That was the point i was making. The clue was in the opening sentence when I said how amazing it was.

I think people are nonplussed because you seem to be suggesting that it is a problem that Pearl Jam are a popular live band because their live show is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

:confused:

Whatever about the rest of the post, this was the bit I noticed ?

Like to explain? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dylan sounds like an old cat now ,his voice is gone .
    He doesn't interact with the crowd ,he just comes out plays some songs and walks off .
    He is constantly touring so the demand to see him is reduced,he is mad for money.

People who go on about Dylans voice being "gone" are kind of missing the point. His voice was never that great to begin with.

Also he never really interacts with the crowd, he has a tendency to let the music do the talking and I kind of like that over the patrionising interaction you get at a lot of gigs.

I wouldn't say he i mad for money, he just likes touring. He's made more money than he's ever going to spend.

Also someone above was saying people don't want to listen to his last 30 years of albums but his albums of the last 20 years have been excellent and some of the best of his career or at least as far back as 1975.

That's just my Dylan rant for the evening. He's still a great live act in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

adrian522 wrote: »
    People who go on about Dylans voice being "gone" are kind of missing the point. His voice was never that great to begin with.

Also he never really interacts with the crowd, he has a tendency to let the music do the talking and I kind of like that over the patrionising interaction you get at a lot of gigs.

I wouldn't say he i mad for money, he just likes touring. He's made more money than he's ever going to spend.

Also someone above was saying people don't want to listen to his last 30 years of albums but his albums of the last 20 years have been excellent and some of the best of his career or at least as far back as 1975.

That's just my Dylan rant for the evening. He's still a great live act in my opinion.

Il agree he's written some of his best stuff in the past 18years , but I was so disappointed when I finally saw him thankfully he had a few warm up.acts so letting them in the pub after the show cheered me up but I was heartbroken with how bad he was

Advertisement