Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam European Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

EyesClosed wrote: »
    I admire the positive folk here. I just really don't see this happening. They have made no announcements for any festivals, there is already something like 5 gigs in Malahide next year, there won't be anymore.

The only thing giving a glimmer of hope is that it's not inconceivable they might play Glastonbury, and this would be an ideal warm up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

UsedToWait wrote: »
    The only thing giving a glimmer of hope is that it's not inconceivable they might play Glastonbury, and this would be an ideal warm up..

Fly into Shannon...play Thomond...and back to Shannon airport for a flight out the next morning...
    badabam-badabing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thunder77 wrote: »
    Pearl Jam would surely play a bigger venue than Malahide, especially as they haven't played in Dublin since 2010 and demand would be massive for a PJ show, maybe Eddie is touring solo again next summer, he tends to to that and then tour with PJ after that

Yes,Malahide is simply too small for Pearl Jam.
    They would easily sell out the RDS ,I mean Eddie sold 15000 tickets on his own last year,so an extra 20k would be no bother to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It's gonna happen folks.

It's gonna happen folks.

If it doesn't the first half of your name will be changed to Perma! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's gonna happen folks.

We're u the guy who said Metallica would play Slane ?

It's gonna happen folks.

Convince me or I'll ban you from this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hope they will announce it very soon. I am holding off with my holidays booking.

Tbh happy either way as I was lucky enough to see PJ in London in June but then again I saw Foo Fighters too this summer and I'm going to them again next summer so the same could go for PJ If they come here lol

Next summer looks good for me, Hurling/Metallica/Bon Jovi/Eagles and Foos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Argh, I hate this thread! It'll be an hour before this 'unannounced concert' goes ahead and people will still be insisting it'll happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It's all part of the joy of being a PJ fan.

Now, did anyone say new album? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Now, did anyone say GOOD new album? :)

Fyp :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Was told today, the gig is definitely on, but it might be Eddie Vedder on his own, and not Pearl Jam.
    That probably makes more sense. The people that are passing on the info for who the gigs are to be set up for etc. are Councillors or Politicians. They may have heard his name, asked who he was, and continued with the PJ version from there.

I really hope it is Pearl Jam playing, but it makes much more sense that it would be EV on his own with a band. Hopefully the rest of them are still deciding to play and will come around to the idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Now, did anyone say new album? :)

Well, Eddie said at the last of the home shows that the next time they'd play together as a band would be in the studio. Hopefully they're getting some work done before Christmas so that we might see an album the middle of next year.

Suckit wrote: »
    Was told today, the gig is definitely on, but it might be Eddie Vedder on his own, and not Pearl Jam.
    That probably makes more sense. The people that are passing on the info for who the gigs are to be set up for etc. are Councillors or Politicians. They may have heard his name, asked who he was, and continued with the PJ version from there.

I really hope it is Pearl Jam playing, but it makes much more sense that it would be EV on his own with a band. Hopefully the rest of them are still deciding to play and will come around to the idea :D

Eddie solo outdoors ???

3arena again would be better

If it's Eddie on his own he would do a night down south again surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm beginning to thing Eddie is a chancer.
    He promised us last year that he wouldn't leave it so long to come back and then he ignores us this year with Pearl Jam but he is ok to come back and take our money for another solo gig next year.
    A bit cheeky.

Only so gigs a man can go too and it will all depend on the date if PJ/Eddie do play here

Travel/drink/food/merch all come into play for gigs and by god I have a busy 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm beginning to thing Eddie is a chancer.
    He promised us last year that he wouldn't leave it so long to come back and then he ignores us this year with Pearl Jam but he is ok to come back and take our money for another solo gig next year.
    A bit cheeky.

Imagine how the French must feel. No solo show, no PJ show. They don't tour all that often, and when they do, it's not for long. Playing sets of their length requires a lot of rest between dates, so have to count it lucky if you get a show. And ireland won't be the biggest of markets to play at that. Or maybe one of the other band members doesn't like it in Ireland and Eddie can't force them to play.

That, and some ghoul jumped off a balcony and cost MCD a lot of money at the last show, so maybe they aren't too keen to run the risk of similar events at the same band.

Them at Glastonbury seems logical almost, and would explain the few rumours of a show here. Exact sort of place they'd play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mushy wrote: »
    Imagine how the French must feel. No solo show, no PJ show.

Pearl Jam were in France after they last here though and its under 4 hours to drive Werchter from Paris where they played twice in the last 4 years think it's quite obvious we've have had the rougher deal.

He surely is at least a little bit of a chancer he was in France on the solo tour no official date there instead opted to sod the ordinary folk off for a intimate show for the likes of Nick Jonas and Ellie Goulding. :D

• Advertisement

Pearl Jam were in France after they last here though and its under 4 hours to drive Werchter from Paris where they played twice in the last 4 years think it's quite obvious we've have had the rougher deal.

He surely is at least a little bit of a chancer he was in France on the solo tour no official date there instead opted to sod the ordinary folk off for a intimate show for the likes of Nick Jonas and Ellie Goulding. :D

True. Shows how little they tour though, it's every 4 years, so not extensive by any means. Using the driving excuse...well it's the joys of being on a small island, even less likely to come here (Or be brought here by promoters at their cost).

Took their money and ran...smart man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Guys, this isn’t happening, it’s become the new AC/DC at slane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

s8n wrote: »

no no AC/DC are supporting in Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They did 2 gigs in 1996 ..
    One in the "Cow shed in Cork" ..... and then up to the point. So if they are willing to do it, it can be done. But why play 1 or 2 medium shows in Ireland , when they can do 1 off bigger shows elsewhere for more money ?

Remember the "We wont leave so long the next time " ..... that was in 2010.

Money talks.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    They did 2 gigs in 2006 ..
    One in the "Cow shed in Cork" ..... and then up to the point. So if they are willing to do it, it can be done. But why play 1 or 2 medium shows in Ireland , when they can do 1 off bigger shows elsewhere for more money ?

Remember the "We wont leave so long the next time " ..... that was in 2010.

Money talks.

The cow shed was 1996.

There's actually little logic to their tours. Even last one, one gig Germany, 3 in Italy. So wouldn't be expecting a medium size show any decade now. Also seem to only play select indoor shows too, adding to the illogical nature of the tours.

Is it any coincidence Alice in Chains haven't played here in years? Think 2010 was last one, maybe 09. Both bands would sell good amount of tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

This is going in circles. They are not touring next year, no new material due, they routinely skip Ireland (as does a lot of bands these days, hence why promoters are cultivating a stable of Irish acts to fill venues).

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

I can only assume you didn't read the two posts that I've copied below, the use of capitals and bold has convinced me that they will be playing.

"I have it on VERY good authority that PJ in Malahide is a done deal. Holding back announcing it as there's been a spate of big gig annoucements recently"

"Same as that. I don't want the person that told me to see this page, so I can't use word for word. But it is also VERY good authority.

I don't bet, if I did and if I could figure out how to, I would put a lot of my money on this, with the condition that it's moot if something happens to cause it to be cancelled.

As far as I am concerned/believe, -right now- this gig is definitely going ahead. I'm not easily convinced, and I have been reading this thread and the thread linked here, and other posts that say there's no way it's going ahead. They don't convince me over the person that told me it is.

Edit - and yes, I will feel foolish for believing that person if this doesn't happen."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

they routinely skip Ireland (as does a lot of bands these days, hence why promoters are cultivating a stable of Irish acts to fill venues).

What bands? Don't really see it tbh, sure we could do with a 3-5k venue but that convo has been done to death.

For every show announced whatever genre a venue slot is taken up and decreases options for a promoter, a certain act may only be viable in a particular venue and may not be possible within a touring schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

spindex wrote: »
    I can only assume you didn't read the two posts that I've copied below, the use of capitals and bold has convinced me that they will be playing.
    He oviously didn't :D

I care not. I am happy enough Eddie Vedder will be playing in Malahide with or without Pearl Jam.:p

• Advertisement

What bands? Don't really see it tbh, sure we could do with a 3-5k venue but that convo has been done to death.

For every show announced whatever genre a venue slot is taken up and decreases options for a promoter, a certain act may only be viable in a particular venue and may not be possible within a touring schedule.

Metallica is first in 8/9 years so skipped a bit, Alice in chains are non-existent on these shores. Black stone cherry, considering amount of UK shows, are rare. Ghost only doing first show next year so skipped a lot. Would include Tool but it's their first time skipping since last tour. Smashing pumpkins appear to be skipping, as do Weezer.

With that reasoning of the venue choices, exact same could be said for PJ...maybe suitable places are booked for others and doesnt fit the touring schedule

Advertisement