Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam European Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good old Dimitri has said there's a "but" regarding the Eddie and Glen show here. And I think he mentioned July 4th is wrong date. So it'll be that week, supporting the Who. Venue unknown, Would say Marley Park most likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dagenham Dave

July 4, Marlay Park, supporting The Who

Put a monkey on it, monster monster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Who website says "The Who with special guest Eddie Vedder, and support from the Kaiser Chiefs"
    Special Guest? just a different way of saying "support" ??

https://www.livenation.co.uk/show/1248042/the-who-with-special-guest-eddie-vedder-and-support-from-kaiser-chiefs/london/2019-07-06/en

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

greenspurs wrote: »
    The Who website says "The Who with special guest Eddie Vedder, and support from the Kaiser Chiefs"
    Special Guest? just a different way of saying "support" ??

https://www.livenation.co.uk/show/1248042/the-who-with-special-guest-eddie-vedder-and-support-from-kaiser-chiefs/london/2019-07-06/en

Yeah it's fairly frequently used by now, particularly if it's more of a well known band playing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mushy wrote: »
    Good old Dimitri has said there's a "but" regarding the Eddie and Glen show here. And I think he mentioned July 4th is wrong date. So it'll be that week, supporting the Who. Venue unknown, Would say Marley Park most likely
    The 'But' he said was to do with the artist and the setup.

Monday to Wednesday not really ideal for a 'The Who' gig that size. Friday 5th is doable, and then travel to UK on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Suckit wrote: »
    The 'But' he said was to do with the artist and the setup.

Monday to Wednesday not really ideal for a 'The Who' gig that size. Friday 5th is doable, and then travel to UK on Saturday morning.

Cant see them doing back to back days in different countries especially seeing as The Who are being backed by a full orchestra with all their equipment to transport.

Cant see them doing back to back days in different countries especially seeing as The Who are being backed by a full orchestra with all their equipment to transport.
    Yeah, couldn't see it myself tbh. Was just mentioning it, as, if 4th July has been confirmed as a no, the 1st-3rd wouldn't be better options imo, leaving the 5th as the only remaining choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Is it certain that the Dublin gig will be Ed supporting the who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

spindex wrote: »
    Is it certain that the Dublin gig will be Ed supporting the who ?

rumours suggest so but would prefer Ed on his own

The who are legends and be nice to see live but the prices will be Rolling Stones level (although Croke Park last year was amazing) and Ed will only get a 45/1hr setlist

just have to wait and see,already thronged with concerts in the summer and all near each other in dates too expect Foos in August

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Same size as Marlay Park and (Dimitris ruled out Malahide).

I wouldn't go to RDS if it was free.

The RDS is a dump allright.

Thinking I will give this a miss.
    I've seen both acts up close indoors and any decent seats for Dublin will be loony money.
    I've had my fill of outdoor concerts .

• Advertisement

The RDS is a dump allright.

Thinking I will give this a miss.
    I've seen both acts up close indoors and any decent seats for Dublin will be loony money.
    I've had my fill of outdoor concerts .

how many concerts hold a year though ?? there hosting 5 shows already

Croke Park would have surely been a choice for The Who. Spice Girls and Westlife already taking up two of the slots.

Croke Park would have surely been a choice for The Who. Spice Girls and Westlife already taking up two of the slots.

the promoters could of applied for a 4th licence like they did last year and were granted it ???

prob too big for the who tbh

wherever it is there will be drunken yobs who will ruin Eddies set by talking loudly/ shouting for PJ songs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Croke Park would have surely been a choice for The Who.

Seriously?

The Who didn't come anywhere close to selling the 3arena the last time they were here! (Albeit they did the Arena in Belfast too on the same run), Tickets were stupidly priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Am I the only one who thinks that the Who are a very average band?

Seriously?

The Who didn't come anywhere close to selling the 3arena the last time they were here! (Albeit they did the Arena in Belfast too on the same run), Tickets were stupidly priced too.

Stupid priced tickets were probably the biggest detraction. I wouldn't be a big fan of them, but at the right price as stadium gig from them could be a great gig, if all went well.
    Maybe Croke park would be a bit of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

This thread has jumped the shark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Stupid priced tickets were probably the biggest detraction
    Absolutely the suckers (Inc. me who'd never seen them) paying it was deemed good enough ahead of a packed house at a reasonable price I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Ye can blame promoters , venues... whatever ya want... but fact is it’s a different band with different principles and values to the one I first seen for 16 quid back in 1996 when they were at their prime ... I’ll be going to aic, a band who feel their Irish fans are worth visiting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Perifect wrote: »

I've heard a few singles that I don't mind, and parts of Tommy sounded good. But overall I just haven't been too bothered exploring them. And I love classic rock, Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.

Someone needs to tell me the "starter" album for the Who. I read that book "1971" recently and it mentioned Who's Next as a great album, so perhaps that's the one I try out.

Back on topic. Yeah solo Ed as a support slot doesn't really seem like a good proposition; Who fans may not be too bothered with some dude warbling away with a ukelele. If he had a full band backing him it would be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Back on topic. Yeah solo Ed as a support slot doesn't really seem like a good proposition; Who fans may not be too bothered with some dude warbling away with a ukelele. If he had a full band backing him it would be a different story.

For me its gonna depend on pricing.

And the inevitable of Eddie singing Baba OReilly with The Who …. :p

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Nope I feel the same.
    So much so I wouldn't be going to see Eddie for 45 mins at €xxx and then have to sit through a few hours of the Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Could be a case of them not filling the venue and being able to pick up tickets very cheap the week of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I've heard a few singles that I don't mind, and parts of Tommy sounded good. But overall I just haven't been too bothered exploring them. And I love classic rock, Beatles, Zeppelin, etc.
    Someone needs to tell me the "starter" album for the Who. I read that book "1971" recently and it mentioned Who's Next as a great album, so perhaps that's the one I try out.

I've seen them a few times, but The Who at Oxegen 2006 were absolutely phenomenal. Their first time here for forty years.
    Who's Next is a very good place to start. Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again have been concert staples since the album was released. If you like Who's Next, its closest in sound and style is probably Quadrophenia. There are several good compilations available too, of which the 2CD Ultimate Collection (from 2002) is probably the best.
    Also, David Hepworth's 1971: Never A Dull Moment is an excellent book. If you enjoyed it, I recommend the follow-ups, Uncommon People and Nothing Is Real.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've seen them a few times, but The Who at Oxegen 2006 were absolutely phenomenal. Their first time here for forty years.
    Who's Next is a very good place to start. Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again have been concert staples since the album was released. If you like Who's Next, its closest in sound and style is probably Quadrophenia. There are several good compilations available too, of which the 2CD Ultimate Collection (from 2002) is probably the best.
    Also, David Hepworth's 1971: Never A Dull Moment is an excellent book. If you enjoyed it, I recommend the follow-ups, Uncommon People and Nothing Is Real.

I have Uncommon People lined up next. I'm currently reading "Can't Stand up for falling down" by Allan Jones (from Melody Maker).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

"Big" announcement for Live at the Marquee, Cork this coming Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

poundhound wrote: »

Nothing to do with Eddie unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

poundhound wrote: »

It's a one day dance festival from what I've heard. Pure junk!

Seen The Who on their 50th anniversary tour, still a great live band. Might be a bit much in a stadium tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well they're a legendary band, but take Keith Moon and John Entwhistle away and you're not left with much. The prices for tickets for that Wembley gig are an absolute disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Well they're a legendary band, but take Keith Moon and John Entwhistle away and you're not left with much. The prices for tickets for that Wembley gig are an absolute disgrace.

They are still great live .
    I wouldn't have been a big fan when I saw them a few years back but they blew me away .

Advertisement