Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man living in Council House Slips after 5 Pints, Claims and is Awarded €105K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Holy ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

"Having regard to the fact this is a man who has worked in manual labouring jobs all his life, I decline to make any adverse finding against him having regard to the level of alcohol consumed by him that day," Mr Justice Barr said.
    What's this bit about? He's a working man therefore well used to drinking therefore immune to alcohol? I hope Justice Barr doesn't do drink driving cases...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

"Having regard to the fact this is a man who has worked in manual labouring jobs all his life, I decline to make any adverse finding against him having regard to the level of alcohol consumed by him that day," Mr Justice Barr said.

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong but is he saying because this man worked in manual labour jobs I'm going to ignore the fact he was drinking. Thats taking the ****ing p**s. Crazy judgement altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Shur builders are great lads for de gargle.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

I thought for a minute it was April the first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Surely it's nothing more than fortuitous circumstance that unfortunately ended up with the fella getting a broken ankle.
    He is the one who took away the mat, he's well aware the tiles might be slippy in the rain because it's Sligo and it rains
    a lot and he had five pints on him which probably contributed a lot more to his fall than the tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The judge said the essential issue in the case was whether the porch tiles were appropriate for use in an exposed exterior porch. He said engineers on both sides agreed with after tests the tiles presented a low risk of slipping when dry and a moderate risk of slipping when wet. The engineers, the judge said, disagreed that these findings made the tiles inappropriate for use in the porch area.
    Mr Justice Barr said he was satisfied that in all the circumstances the tiles were inappropriate for use in an exterior porch and that the use of the tiles rendered the house unfit for human habitation.

What was the point in bringing in experts?

The judge said the essential issue in the case was whether the porch tiles were appropriate for use in an exposed exterior porch. He said engineers on both sides agreed with after tests the tiles presented a low risk of slipping when dry and a moderate risk of slipping when wet. The engineers, the judge said, disagreed that these findings made the tiles inappropriate for use in the porch area.
    Mr Justice Barr said he was satisfied that in all the circumstances the tiles were inappropriate for use in an exterior porch and that the use of the tiles rendered the house unfit for human habitation.

So the engineers did not deem the tiles inappropriate but the judge (who obviously is more experienced than the engineers) says the house is unfit for human habitation?

What the actual ****? Cue all the residents in Cranmore having a bit of a slip now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Judge needs kicked in his goolies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Before we start bashing those on the dole and living in Council Houses. Let's just remember that this absolute ponce of a Judge is the reason for our bloody compo culture.

I came off my bike the other night due to a patch of ice, I should sue the council for not putting enough grit down. Daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Seems to me that The Independant paper has been bought by Waterford Whispers News ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fcuking Cartel, jacking up insurance premiums for everyone while quaffing caviar on toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Where's the nearest council estate and when it is raining next!!????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

As the house is unfit for human habitation, this lad has to be kicked out straight away.
    As this lad now has substantial means as a result of the award, he should no longer be entitled to a council house. Smart old judgey, playing the long game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

McGaggs wrote: »
    As the house is unfit for human habitation, this lad has to be kicked out straight away.
    As this lad now has substantial means as a result of the award, he should no longer be entitled to a council house. Smart old judgey, playing the long game.

You do know you don't get kicked outta co. co houses just because you hit the jackpot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

This guy is onto something and I've been inspired to follow in his footsteps. And since I'm a kind hearted person so I'm going to share with you lot too.

Are you renting?
    Go home right now, slip and break an ankle. Then sue the owner of the house you're renting.

Are you at work?
    Stand up, walk over to your manager, trip over something and break your arm. Then sue your place of work for hazardous working conditions.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You do know you don't get kicked outta co. co houses just because you hit the jackpot?

You bloody well should be!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It doesn't matter if he was drinking or not.

He slipped on the floor tiles in his rented house. Thats on him. He is aware of what is slippery and what is not slippery in his own home and he himself removed the floor mat from the entrance.

****ing Crazy.

The only scenario where i would accept this claim is where he had reported to the council in advance that the floor was a dangerous hazard and the council refused to fix it. If he knew the floor was dangerous and did nothing about it then its on him.

I think i need to go walking around some council buildings when its raining or icy. Find myself some nice slick tiles.

It doesn't matter if he was drinking or not.

He slipped on the floor tiles in his rented house. Thats on him. He is aware of what is slippery and what is not slippery in his own home and he himself removed the floor mat from the entrance.

****ing Crazy.

The only scenario where i would accept this claim is where he had reported to the council in advance that the floor was a dangerous hazard and the council refused to fix it. If he knew the floor was dangerous and did nothing about it then its on him.

I think i need to go walking around some council buildings when its raining or icy. Find myself some nice slick tiles.

That street between the Quays and Dame St, where the Quakers' meeting house is - like glass sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

bertie 56 wrote: »
    Seems to me that The Independant paper has been bought by Waterford Whispers News ...

No. They've always been this ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ah jesus this can't be allowed stand. Sure we all walk on footpaths during frosty mornings. Those steel covers are slippy as hell but we all just avoid them....... Well not anymore by the looks of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Yet another example of judges being the weak link in this claim culture epidemic we have.

Just handing out the money to anyone with their hand open.

Where's that judges house so I can trip while walking up to his door and sue him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Please tell me this will be appealed.

He’s getting 30k regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

c_man wrote: »
    What was the point in bringing in experts?

The fees, the big fat fees......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

in the current Property crisis - people should be gratful for getting subsidised accomadation - accidents happens - but no Greed wins - shame on Justice Barr - the citizens of Ireland will be the ones paying for this -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The engineers, the judge said, disagreed that these findings made the tiles inappropriate for use in the porch area.

Do you have to be a moron to become a judge?

I presume this man is now homeless as his house is unfit for human habitation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was just about to post this. Its absolutely astonishing. Claims he had 5 pints so he probably had 10. Engineers say the tiles were fine and fit for purpose.

I live in a council house and maybe it was the way I was brought up but after getting drunk and slipping at home the last thing I would be thinking is claiming compo off the council.

The judge is a ****ing clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This is the collapse of a society, this will just convince other wasters to try the same, and insurance premiums go through the roof for us working schmucks.

Legal profession really needs a shake up - these cases should just be thrown out of court and the claimant done for time wasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

If this stands it could destroy both public and private renting in this country.

Awards of 100k for slipping while drunk in a rental property are crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

McGaggs wrote: »

It doesn't work like that. Social housing tenants pay a percentage of their earnings towards the rent (actually a very fair system) and i think you need to have a hell of a lot more than 105k in the bank to be removed from a council house.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that. Social housing tenants pay a percentage of their earnings towards the rent (actually a very fair system) and i think you need to have a hell of a lot more than 105k in the bank to be removed from a council house.

If so, that is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Choose to get a subsidised house

Choose to go and get steamed (5 pints my hole)

Choose to slip and sue

Choose to have more money in your account than most working people will ever see

Choose Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Judge Anthony Barr has form for this sort of thing.

http://https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/jogger-who-injured-his-hand-after-tripping-over-a-hole-awarded-60k-35604012.html

Man alleges to trip jogging in halting site and only injure his knuckle.
    The day after being a back-seat passenger in a rear-end collision for which he alleges soft-tissue injuries.
    Defence suggest knuckle injury may be from boxing.
    Judge Anthony Barr awards punitive damages for suggesting this upstanding citizen is anything less than honest.
    Despite a history of "boxing".

http://https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/five-members-of-the-same-family-avoid-jail-term-for-violent-attack-in-tax-office-29273217.html

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Judge Anthony Barr has form for this sort of thing.

http://https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/jogger-who-injured-his-hand-after-tripping-over-a-hole-awarded-60k-35604012.html

Man alleges to trip jogging in halting site and only injure his knuckle.
    The day after being a back-seat passenger in a rear-end collision for which he alleges soft-tissue injuries.
    Defence suggest knuckle injury may be from boxing.
    Judge Anthony Barr awards punitive damages for suggesting this upstanding citizen is anything less than honest.
    Despite a history of "boxing".

http://https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/five-members-of-the-same-family-avoid-jail-term-for-violent-attack-in-tax-office-29273217.html

God he's an idiot!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Where is this nonsensical claim culture going to stop?

This is the kind of stuff we used to hear coming from the States and scoff at those "crazy claim culture yanks".

Now we're getting just as bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

that the use of the tiles rendered the house unfit for human habitation.

Really judge, REALLY?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

We need to elect and impeach judges at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

that the use of the tiles rendered the house unfit for human habitation.
    Really judge, REALLY?????

Where will this sh1te stop ?
    You could literally argue ANYTHING in the world is too dangerous and unfit for humans - a fork , I could stick a fork in my eyes and blind myself, should I sue the cutlery manufacturer ? its getting to a stage where perhaps I could ... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Was it really necessary to say that he lives in a Council House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

To be fair it was in the websites headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

One would assume it was mentioned because the claimant sued the council for compo.

People could have assumed he claimed from his own home insurer if it wasn't clarified which could lead to potential copy cat claimants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Judge says “sorry for your troubles my good man, here’s 6000 pints now with another 15000 pints to follow: that should help your pain”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Man living in Council House Slips after 5 Pints, Claims and is Awarded €105K

Hopefully the council reassess his means after the cheque is cashed :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm sure it will.

Beyond that though, can I ask in my legal ignorance if there is any kind of formal peer review system among the judiciary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm sure it will.

Beyond that though, can I ask in my legal ignorance if there is any kind of formal peer review system among the judiciary?

Yeah, every year they have a dinner in the Law Library, get pissed and hand out gongs to whoever gave the most ridiculous awards of the year. Sponsored by the Solicitors of Ireland I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fxotoole wrote: »
    Hopefully the council reassess his means after the cheque is cashed :pac: :pac: :pac:

There's no legal mechanism for that.

They can and do reassess his rent based on his income, but the house is his for life provided he pays his rent and isn't anti social.

And they will have to replace the dangerous tiles.

There's no legal mechanism for that.

They can and do reassess his rent based on his income, but the house is his for life provided he pays his rent and isn't anti social.

And they will have to replace the dangerous tiles.

Why ??? It's a valuable resource to those who need help.

Why do you get to keep it when your circumstances improve dramatically ???

Taking the proverbial fluid that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why ??? It's a valuable resource to those who need help.

Why do you get to keep it when your circumstances improve dramatically ???

Taking the proverbial fluid that.

Many like me would of stripped the house out over the years and made it there own and added value to it. He also has the option to buy it at a large discount.

As your circumstances change you pay more in rent, if I was asked to pay a good bit more I would to be honest, its beat the hell out of renting on the private market and you don't have to worry about the landlord turning around at any moment and saying your out as he's selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

People could have assumed he claimed from his own home insurer if it wasn't clarified which could lead to potential copy cat claimants.

I wonder would that succeed.
    Could i sue myself after falling on my own property and claim it off my insurance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement