Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE THE iveagh gardens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Disappointed in the gig tonite.

Sound overall was far too low - have noticed other threads re Iveagh Gardens complaining of the same.

Matt threw away his big numbers - Sweet Bird, Beaten Generation and Infected all missing that blistering mid 80s angry Brit synth line that made those tracks.

Crowd was overall on the mature side and fairly muted throughout, save for the basic b1tch right at the front of the stage in the silver top who spent the night with her back to the stage on the phone discussing the Croatia Russia match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Ah, that's a pity!

I've heard people complaining about sound in there before but have never noticed an issue where I've been

Did you say anything to her? That's infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Yeah it was too low. When you are not too far from stage and can say something to the person beside you without raising your voice....that's too low.

Was with a mate who doesn't know the Music and was telling him Matt is one angry man but age has mellowed his voice and anger...he didn't get what we all know the Music and lyrics to be

Box ticked , glad I was there but wouldn't bother again.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Yeah it was too low. When you are not too far from stage and can say something to the person beside you without raising your voice....that's too low.

Was with a mate who doesn't know the Music and was telling him Matt is one angry man but age has mellowed his voice and anger...he didn't get what we all know the Music and lyrics to be

Box ticked , glad I was there but wouldn't bother again.

His voice has held up well. But what possessed him to reconfigure his big tracks into that James Bay/Blake/Bl(C)unt contemporary style is a deflating mystery.

• Advertisement

His voice has held up well. But what possessed him to reconfigure his big tracks into that James Bay/Blake/Bl(C)unt contemporary style is a deflating mystery.

Don't get where you're coming from with that at all, TBH! Do those three have any similarities other than being called James?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I had a great time. I agree the audio was not as loud as I would have liked but 5 pints helped me dance and sing away most of the gig. And not a phone in the air to be seen. So refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was on the barrier, so had no issues with sound, but a few other things were a bit of a letdown, and shunted it into four star, rather than five star territory. I thought Xordox were appalling. Anything I'd heard of them prior to the show seemed fine, but having to watch them was another matter entirely; there was something very incongruous about all the gurning that was going on while they pressed some buttons. I don't know what the response was further back, but polite applause is about all they got up the front.

The The were far too late in coming on. It was after ten past nine by the time they started, which is very late for the Iveagh Gardens and had me concerned that they'd have to drop a few songs. Unfortunately, rather than ditching some of the songs that would have predictably got a "lesser" reaction, they pulled tour show closer Lonely Planet, which would have been a much more fitting end to the night. I find it ridiculous that this had to happen at all. Surely Aiken would have explained when the curfew was and The The would have started early enough to deliver a full set. As it was, Matt had to quickly tell the band not too leave the stage for the encore break, in order to at least get Uncertain Smile done promptly.

The only "rearrangement" that disappointed me was Sweet Bird of Truth, which lacked the punch of the original, but I don't really expect Matt to deliver with the same venom he did in the eighties. He explained that the tour would feature tweaked arrangements, so in relative terms, most songs were fairly true to their original version.

I'm not sure if the outdoor venue was to blame, in that there was just a mismatch in having this "intense" music played out under a sunny July sky, but it never seemed to have that intimacy, or indeed a sense of a collective experience, compared to, say, Belle and Sebastian in the same venue last year, which is very different musically, but no less introspective in its own way.

A great touring band, though. And despite my criticisms, I'm delighted I went.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah lads, don't get any of that, I loved it.

I was on the barrier, so had no issues with sound, but a few other things were a bit of a letdown, and shunted it into four star, rather than five star territory. I thought Xordox were appalling. Anything I'd heard of them prior to the show seemed fine, but having to watch them was another matter entirely; there was something very incongruous about all the gurning that was going on while they pressed some buttons. I don't know what the response was further back, but polite applause is about all they got up the front.

The The were far too late in coming on. It was after ten past nine by the time they started, which is very late for the Iveagh Gardens and had me concerned that they'd have to drop a few songs. Unfortunately, rather than ditching some of the songs that would have predictably got a "lesser" reaction, they pulled tour show closer Lonely Planet, which would have been a much more fitting end to the night. I find it ridiculous that this had to happen at all. Surely Aiken would have explained when the curfew was and The The would have started early enough to deliver a full set. As it was, Matt had to quickly tell the band not too leave the stage for the encore break, in order to at least get Uncertain Smile done promptly.

The only "rearrangement" that disappointed me was Sweet Bird of Truth, which lacked the punch of the original, but I don't really expect Matt to deliver with the same venom he did in the eighties. He explained that the tour would feature tweaked arrangements, so in relative terms, most songs were fairly true to their original version.

I'm not sure if the outdoor venue was to blame, in that there was just a mismatch in having this "intense" music played out under a sunny July sky, but it never seemed to have that intimacy, or indeed a sense of a collective experience, compared to, say, Belle and Sebastian in the same venue last year, which is very different musically, but no less introspective in its own way.

A great touring band, though. And despite my criticisms, I'm delighted I went.

I didn't mind Xordox, doubt I'll be buying their records but it worked fine for me as music in the background while I got food!

As for not dropping the songs that might have got a "lesser" reaction, I'm glad they didn't do that as one of my favourite songs is Soul Catcher. Matt said that's one of the lesser known songs and where I was near the front didn't get much of a reaction but personally I'm delighted that song was played

• Advertisement

Agreed. I would not like to have lost Soul Catcher.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Glad I didn't head down to that gig now. I hate outdoor concerts in daylight, but had seen them in Belfast on Friday and was tempted to do the Dublin gig too.

They are my favourite band, and I was delighted to see them in Belfast. It wasn't a big crowd to see them, but they put on a very good show. Really enjoyed it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Glad I didn't head down to that gig now. I hate outdoor concerts in daylight, but had seen them in Belfast on Friday and was tempted to do the Dublin gig too.

They are my favourite band, and I was delighted to see them in Belfast. It wasn't a big crowd to see them, but they put on a very good show. Really enjoyed it.

He did say they were more comfortable playing in the dark.

SoulCatcher just as the sun was setting was magical

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Was really looking forward to it as they've been a favourite band of mine since the 80's and I'd not seen them before.

But, as others mentioned the sound was very low and some of the songs lacked the punch and aggression they have on record. Think he needed a bigger band or at least another synth if not two. Still enjoyed it and glad I got to see them / him.

I know he hasn't played Giant live for nearly 30 years but I can't for the life of me work out why, it would be the perfect show closer surely?

Big Game wrote: »
    I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Was really looking forward to it as they've been a favourite band of mine since the 80's and I'd not seen them before.

But, as others mentioned the sound was very low and some of the songs lacked the punch and aggression they have on record. Think he needed a bigger band or at least another synth if not two. Still enjoyed it and glad I got to see them / him.

I know he hasn't played Giant live for nearly 30 years but I can't for the life of me work out why, it would be the perfect show closer surely?

Synth lines, sub bass lines and brass sections were missing from all the big tracks. If he was going for an "MTV Unplugged" approach well for me anyway it didn't work. Probably why he didn't play Slow Train to Dawn either as the pared back ensemble couldn't carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Really disappointed with the gig, it was very flat, never got going and agree with the statements on sound, arrangements and late arrival on stage. Was really looking forward to them finishing with lonely planet.

I just felt he was going through the motions, his heart didn't seem in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Etc wrote: »
    Really disappointed with the gig, it was very flat, never got going and agree with the statements on sound, arrangements and late arrival on stage. Was really looking forward to them finishing with lonely planet.

I just felt he was going through the motions, his heart didn't seem in it.
    I was close to the front & didn't notice the sound so much, but I was disappointed with the wait before they came on stage.
    I was at eels on Friday night & didn't have to wait half as long before they came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Big Game wrote: »

But, as others mentioned the sound was very low and some of the songs lacked the punch and aggression they have on record. Think he needed a bigger band or at least another synth if not two.

My thoughts exactly, the hooks of the songs were not there, take dogs of lust as an easy example, the most memorable part of the whole song, the raucous harmonica, was not there, the song died on its arse! Many others suffered the same fate imo

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

My thoughts exactly, the hooks of the songs were not there, take dogs of lust as an easy example, the most memorable part of the whole song, the raucous harmonica, was not there, the song died on its arse! Many others suffered the same fate imo

Agree totally, there was no energy in DOL at all

Dogs of Lust also suffered from a near false start from which it never recovered. Matt and Barrie weren't really in sync for the intro; I think Barrie initially was on the wrong frets. Either way, it kind of stumbled into life, whereas it needs to start off with a real punch. Plus, in general - and this applies to Slow Emotion Replay too - a melodica is no substitute for a harmonica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

First time to see The The and I really enjoyed it.

Given that Matt Johnson's father died last month and he was ready to cancel the rest of the tour but couldn't due to the financial cost, I say fair play to the man for performing like he did. A great artist who gave it his all on the night with the rest of his band.

First time to see The The and I really enjoyed it.

Given that Matt Johnson's father died last month and he was ready to cancel the rest of the tour but couldn't due to the financial cost, I say fair play to the man for performing like he did. A great artist who gave it his all on the night with the rest of his band.

I agree, he gave it his all. Stunned by folk saying he went through the motions and his heart wasn't in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I agree, he gave it his all. Stunned by folk saying he went through the motions and his heart wasn't in it

Totally agree - it's so easy to sit back and criticise. I'm still on a high after the gig. The only spoiler was the constant chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

I went to the Belfast gig even after buying a ticket for Dublin as I reckoned an indoor gig in a 1,000 capacity venue would be more enjoyable than a large outdoor one. I wasn't disappointed and was right up the front in the Mandela Hall. It was a really great gig with the sound as clear as day and the powerful band really sounded tight. Can imagine there were a number of tunes that wouldn't have suited the outdoors. In the end the gig was so good I decided not to bother with Dublin as it would just have ruined the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Totally agree - it's so easy to sit back and criticise. I'm still on a high after the gig. The only spoiler was the constant chatter.

Constant chatter is unfortunately a constant issue in the Iveagh Gardens. I really don't get it, maybe there's too many freebies going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Was up the front. Highlights :

1. The drummer...one of the best Ive ever seen
    2. The bass...james eller cool dude and the sound was awesome
    3. I thought the venue was cool.
    4. Ive been waitin' for tomorrow all of my life
    5. Seeing Matt Johnson live again for the first time since July 1990.

The disappointment :
    1. The guitar sound. Way too low. Could barely hear it in the mix and as a result the songs lacked power at crucial moments.

I get the issues with the lack of punch, aggression and power and what people may have expected compared to those politically charged, angry recordings from years back. It was no secret that this tour was stripped back and more mellow. You cant expect a man in his late 50's in 2018 to be the same guy trying to change world back in the 80's. Says it all about our current times and possibly Matts angst when the most angry moment was directed towards mobile phone users.

I enjoyed it and it stirred some great memories of my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hear what people are saying about the stripped back songs, but you have to remember that The The albums are very produced, have an awful lot of special sound effects etc that would be hard to produce live unless you another 5 in the band. He has to draw the line somewhere and obviously the arrangement of a few songs has to change to suit a 5 piece band.

Greatest example I think would be the inclusion of a female co-singer. So many of his songs have a prominent female voice. That to me would be a better inclusion than a real harmonica. But I don't think he has ever had a female singer with them on tour?

That Belfast gig is likely to be the last concert I will really go out of my way to see, to book hotels for, to travel to etc. I've now seen all bands I want to, and nice to finish on my favourite band. Indoor, grungey venues are best for such bands, I was dreading seeing them in Iveagh Gdns if I'm honest, I knew it would be full of casual concert goers, out for a chat and a glass of wine on a nice summer evening. At least all the people in the Mandela Hall were fans there to see the band. May have been a smaller crowd than I'd expected, but it was a good atmosphere at it all the same. Plus I couldn't get any accommodation I could afford due to Buble playing the same night!

So I think some are being harsh. Every concert I've ever been to, I have always had the 'that could have been better' thought, but gigs aren't studio albums, they'll never sound the same no matter how hard you try.

My OH went to Belfast with me, had never listened to any The The, but thought they were excellent. Said Matts voice was great, really suited the music. And she was spellbound by the drummer. I watched him solely for a couple of songs, and he was damn good. Also liked Barrys guitar work, as I have Little Barries albums too, so was looking forward to seeing him live too.

Overall a great gig for me. Could it have been better? Not much!

I hope he'll return here some day, would definitely go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

I had been looking forward to this gig for months- my favourite band in the 80's- but was a little unsure on how the "stripped down" 5-piece would work. I really enjoyed the evening (would agree with general opinion though about low sound). Now that a week has past, I've spent the last 7 days listening to The The tracks, and would go back 7 days and do it again in a heartbeat!

What was with the truncated 10, 9, 8... countdown? From memory its off an old EP or something, might be staring me in the face though.

It's the intro to I've Been Waiting for Tomorrow (All of My Life) on Soul Mining. There's a countdown and the "seven" is missing. He wanted to replicate it. Nerds were onto it. :D

• Advertisement

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    I had been looking forward to this gig for months- my favourite band in the 80's- but was a little unsure on how the "stripped down" 5-piece would work. I really enjoyed the evening (would agree with general opinion though about low sound). Now that a week has past, I've spent the last 7 days listening to The The tracks, and would go back 7 days and do it again in a heartbeat!

What was with the truncated 10, 9, 8... countdown? From memory its off an old EP or something, might be staring me in the face though.

I'm the same, listening to them again right now and reliving the gig!

Advertisement