Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AHA Live at the Marquee june 12th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

i cant wait for this. Fans have been posting videos of the concert on 'I Feel Aha' FB page and the guys sound amazing. :):):)

Feeling like a teenager again !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

unichick wrote: »
    I have 2 seated tickets. Looking for 2 standing. Anyone want to swop?

Hi, just sent pm. I’ve two standing to swap for seats due to a dodgy ankle! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

on the A-ha twitter account i says, D.J from 7.30 and band on stage at 8.45. looking forward to this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Single tickets still available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

fabvinny wrote: »
    on the A-ha twitter account i says, D.J from 7.30 and band on stage at 8.45. looking forward to this!!

Brilliant thanks..wasn't sure if there was a support act at least now we can relax & get some food nearby. I don't like missing a support band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 WhiteSpoofer

ITgirl73 wrote: »
    Single tickets still available

I’ll take them, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It's highly unlikely this won't be my gig of the year.
    Phenomenal.

The Marquee is great for holding the sound of the audience and - better yet - accentuating it, and that was really in evidence tonight, in the best possible way. I think the band were genuinely blown away by the sheer volume and enthusiasm of the crowd. For atmosphere alone, this is one of the best shows I've been to, but a-ha were in top form anyway. 
    A hits-laden setlist that meant it never slumped, but shrewdly throwing in a few album tracks to keep the die hards happy, not least a tour debut of Sycamore Leaves. Some nice alternative arrangements, such as resurrecting the original demo version of Train of Thought, and toning down the chorus of Manhattan Skyline. 
    A triumph on every possible level.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

+ 1, all the greats, audience engagement & cool stage set!! Had a great evening!!!😀

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Thunder77

Did they say anything about coming back? surely Ireland will be first on the list of countries when they next tour and hopefully a long overdue return to Dublin, i would say last night was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

Fantastic show last night! The place was hopping! The band seemed blown away by the atmosphere! Hopefully they will come back to Cork again soon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I was in the seats just behind the sound desk and while the concert was brilliant, I didn't think the sound was great. Found it very hard to hear Morten's voice during a lot of the songs and it was very difficult ot make out what himself and Mags were saying during the times they were interacting with the audience. Brilliant night but not as good as their previous concert in the Point all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Marquee is great for holding the sound of the audience and - better yet - accentuating it, and that was really in evidence tonight, in the best possible way.

The sound in the tent last night was atrocious to put it mildly.
    It was absolutely appalling.

I had been looking forward to the concert all year but I was bitterly disappointed when I heard what was coming out of the speakers.
    It was like listening to a cheap ghettoblaster playing an old audio cassette that had taped some A-ha songs off long wave radio.
    Morten was out of sync on some songs and there was a warbling effect .

I tried moving around to a few different positions but the sound was crap everywhere.
    The sound engineer looked like a student and he was obviously out of his depth.
    How do these people get work ,are they tone deaf ?

Morten had about as much movement as a mannequin at times,he needs to work on his audience interaction ,for alot of songs he had his left hand in his pocket and was standing at the rear of the stage.
    He was obviously having issues with his audio monitors though.

The gig only came to life in the last 30 minutes ,the sound improved a bit , and the crowd were sparked into life .

It should have been a very special night but the sound ruined it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I was in the seats just behind the sound desk and while the concert was brilliant, I didn't think the sound was great. Found it very hard to hear Morten's voice during a lot of the songs and it was very difficult ot make out what himself and Mags were saying during the times they were interacting with the audience. Brilliant night but not as good as their previous concert in the Point all those years ago.

Yup - couldn’t hear Morten at times or the lyrics and he said himself a few times that his feeds were not working and he was constantly communicating problems to the sound guy to the side of the stage. However it was one of the most fantastic nights and concerts iv ever been to and I think they should deffo do a full indoor concert in Ireland - anywhere - they were absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Agreed that sound was iffy at times but quite simply one of the greatest concert going nights of my life.

Upthere with Springteen on the Sunday night at the RDS in 09,Prince in Malahide in 2011,H.I.M. in Berlin 2013 and Evanescence at Rockfest in Helsinki 2017 as one of the most special nights I ever had at a concert.

Seeing and listening to Morten hit the high notes on one of my favourite songs ever 'Manhattan Skyline' will live with me forever!!

A truly special night and so happy to finally knock A-Ha off my concert bucket list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Agreed that sound was iffy at times but quite simply one of the greatest concert going nights of my life.

Upthere with Springteen on the Sunday night at the RDS in 09,Prince in Malahide in 2011,H.I.M. in Berlin 2013 and Evanescence at Rockfest in Helsinki 2017 as one of the most special nights I ever had at a concert.

Seeing and listening to Morten hit the high notes on one of my favourite songs ever 'Manhattan Skyline' will live with me forever!!

A truly special night and so happy to finally knock A-Ha off my concert bucket list!

No doubt in the world WHATSOEVER that for a man who’s almost 60, his voice is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

It's highly unlikely this won't be my gig of the year.
    Phenomenal.

The Marquee is great for holding the sound of the audience and - better yet - accentuating it, and that was really in evidence tonight, in the best possible way. I think the band were genuinely blown away by the sheer volume and enthusiasm of the crowd. For atmosphere alone, this is one of the best shows I've been to, but a-ha were in top form anyway. 
    A hits-laden setlist that meant it never slumped, but shrewdly throwing in a few album tracks to keep the die hards happy, not least a tour debut of Sycamore Leaves. Some nice alternative arrangements, such as resurrecting the original demo version of Train of Thought, and toning down the chorus of Manhattan Skyline. 
    A triumph on every possible level.

Have to agree with pretty much all of this, a really brilliant gig and the atmosphere inside the marquee was incredible, possibly the best of any gig I've ever been to.

Think the band themselves were genuinely blown away by the reception they got and if they are to tour again, won't be one bit surprised to see them return to Ireland and possibly even the marquee again.

Standouts for me were probably the crowd participation for both Hunting High and Low and The Living Daylights, also The Sun Always Shines, Scoundrel Days and Manhattan Skyline, and it was great to hear tracks like The Weight of the Wind and Sycamore Leaves

The only way this gig could have been any better for me would be to see a bit more interaction from Morten, both with the crowd and the band. Vocally Morten Harket still sounds amazing, but he's never been the greatest front man and it's a pity he doesn't interact more. Pretty much all of that is left up to Magne.

I feel a bit of sympathy for those who thought the sound in the marquee wasn't good, friends of mine have walked out of gigs in the past in the marquee because of the same issue. Saying that, from where we were, apart from one or two moments early in the set, it sounded excellent.

Not sure if any of you checked out the merchandising stall? They were selling signed copies of Paul's latest album. Didn't have huge expectations as I thought a-ha's last two albums were a little weak. It took a couple of listens, but personally, think it's the best album I've heard since Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. Definitely worth checking out.

Would love to see the band again on this tour and after Tuesday nights show, we're actually giving thought to travelling to Carcasonne,in part as a holiday and in part to catch another gig.

I bought the signed Savoy vinyl, as it's the only Savoy album I don't have. The recent Waaktaar and Zoe album, World of Trouble, is also well worth a listen if you've not heard it. Paul basically does everything except the lead vocals. Some terrific songs on it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

I bought the signed Savoy vinyl, as it's the only Savoy album I don't have. The recent Waaktaar and Zoe album, World of Trouble, is also well worth a listen if you've not heard it. Paul basically does everything except the lead vocals. Some terrific songs on it.

Have all the previous Savoy albums, but never bought World of Trouble. To be honest, apart from a handful of songs I wasn't all that crazy about Foot of the Mountain or Cast in Steel, so my expectations had dropped, but really happy with See the Beauty, think it's is as good as anything he has released, and for me one of the best albums of the last few years.

One of the tracks on World of Trouble, Winter Wants Me Empty, is a reworking of Unsound by Savoy. I kind of like the way Paul revisits older material, such as when he used some of the Locust lyrics in Whalebone.

I feel a bit of sympathy for those who thought the sound in the marquee wasn't good, friends of mine have walked out of gigs in the past in the marquee because of the same issue. Saying that, from where we were, apart from one or two moments early in the set, it sounded excellent.

Just out of curiosity where were you positioned ?

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity where were you positioned ?

We were standing to the left of the stage, probably about 10 or 15 people back. Apart from the odd few moments in the first half of the set, thought the sound was fine, my only slight issue would be that I thought the string section could have been turned up a notch

One of the tracks on World of Trouble, Winter Wants Me Empty, is a reworking of Unsound by Savoy. I kind of like the way Paul revisits older material, such as when he used some of the Locust lyrics in Whalebone.

Yeah that worked really well on Whalebone, will have to check it out. I've just listened to open face and mammoth, both good, think I might miss Paul on vocals though.

We were standing to the left of the stage, probably about 10 or 15 people back. Apart from the odd few moments in the first half of the set, thought the sound was fine, my only slight issue would be that I thought the string section could have been turned up a notch

Ok ,that was a good spot so.
    I started out about half way back on the right ,near the support leg ,but moved around a bit.
    I went a bit further forward then but the bass was too strong there.
    Was the worst sound Ive ever heard in the Marquee ,it seems to be getting worse every year,sound system is probably shot its so old.

Advertisement