Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE & Broken/Woken Matt Hardy

Options
  • 01-12-2017 11:58am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a few days ago, Anthem release a statement saying they won't be pursuing people who use characters after they leave TNA, a 180 from their previous stance. Pretty quick on Raw, Matt Hardy starts doing his Delete gesture.

And then, last night...

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSenor/status/936442667205984256

So looks like the brakes are about to come off the train.

But is it too late? Will crowds still care? Is it a mistake to, as it seems they are doing, just jump straight into the middle of the mythos without re-breaking Matt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Worth a shot, but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Too late. Can't recapture lightning in a bottle.

With that said, he should still be the most entertaining thing on Raw now, Strowman aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Definitely not too late. The character in TNA was a slow burner and it was really The Final Deletion that got the character over huge. If they can produce something akin to that in WWE then the interest will reignite.

It all comes down to how much support they are willing to give the character. Will they trust in Matt's creativity, or will they try and put their own stamp on it? My fear would be that they will try to dilute things too much and Vince and Kevin Dunn won't get the character.

I would give it a 50/50 chance of succeeding as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It may still work if Vince let's Matt run with it and not have his own writers sh1t all over the gimmick.

If wwe scripts it in any way, it's dead. They have no idea how to make anything look normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its to late unfortunately, just cant see that Vince wont try to put his idea's into the character, but i suppose since Matt has done nothing since Jeff got injured, its worth a shot

Cant wait for when Broken/Woken Matt meets Rebranded Bray....$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

didn't watch TNA so unfamiliar with the broken character bar watching a few YouTube videos but looking forward to it and we must have a Bray Wyatt vs Broken Matt feud

wwe don't have a great record exceeding expectations these last few years though

have a feeling down the line they will do a multi personality storyline where the real Matt will try too escape from the broken persona

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

no idea how to make anything look normal.

In what world is Broken Matt "normal" :D

Yeah there's no doubt WWE could ruin it but normal it is not

I mean in general, they have no idea. Two wrestlers speaking to each other backstage, have to both be facing the camera and not looking at each other while delivering dialogue that wouldn't be acceptable in Fair City. If they touch it at all and don't let Matt run with it, it will be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    didn't watch TNA so unfamiliar with the broken character bar watching a few YouTube videos but looking forward to it and we must have a Bray Wyatt vs Broken Matt feud

wwe don't have a great record exceeding expectations these last few years though

have a feeling down the line they will do a multi personality storyline where the real Matt will try too escape from the broken persona

5acaf675707147a958d8266b5ec67d56--the-hand-wrestling-memes.jpg

You're probably/definitely on your own wanting that feud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The last thing the broken gimmick needs is bray he will be the kiss of death to matt or anyone else bray feuds with

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

It will fail.

The E aren't going to make the commitment that needs to be made to make it work. Getting the green light to say the word broken only to go with "woken" just sums up how much of an old **** Vince is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll admit to not paying all that much attention really, but wasn't the whole of Matt's family key to much of the success of Broken Matt, i.e. Brother Nero, Reby and Maxel, Senor Benjamin etc.? Can't see Vince getting fully on board with all that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pentecost wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll admit to not paying all that much attention really, but wasn't the whole of Matt's family key to much of the success of Broken Matt, i.e. Brother Nero, Reby and Maxel, Senor Benjamin etc.? Can't see Vince getting fully on board with all that.

And the Hardy Mansion

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pentecost wrote: »

I don't forsee Vince having an issue with those characters.

It's when they try to explain to Vince about Vanguard 1 and Skarsgard the dilapidated boat that I would be concerned. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Demon vs Broken Matt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Wonder will the story progress tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Wonder will the story progress tonight?

Slow burn, Matt starts hearing the voices of the 7 Deities. Turns the brokeness (is that a word?) up slowly to 11.. Proceeds to annihilate his opponents on a weekly basis until he finally breaks and...

In reality, WWE will blow their collective this evening/next week/month and then proceed to hammer home the wackiness of it, effectively burying it.

I'm hoping against hope it's Option #1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s definitely going to end up being option 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With him losing to Bray clean on a standard episode of Raw.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With him losing to Bray clean on a standard episode of Raw.

But it’s ok he’ll get his win back by beating Bálor clean the following week on Raw.

A bit of a pointless win though as Bálor isn’t over though.

If he's "woken" matt hardy instead of broken, because of wwe then he's already done, they'll go with it til vince gets bored and then he's back to mid card matt hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If he's "woken" matt hardy instead of broken, because of wwe then he's already done, they'll go with it til vince gets bored and then he's back to mid card matt hardy

and using his persona in comedic angles with R Truth, Goldust and the likes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

which will lead to him turning on Jeff (once again) and we get another Hardy vs Hardy rivalry :pac::pac:

which will lead to him turning on Jeff (once again) and we get another Hardy vs Hardy rivalry :pac::pac:

Doubt it, Jeff will already have been pushed to the main event, then matt will be broken, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So looks like it's a Matt v Bray feud. That laugh off was awesome though. DELIGHTFUL even

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can we delete this thread?

The negativity is not delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

full
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Can we delete this thread?

The negativity is not delightful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Matt was great fun in that segment and it was lovely to see the crowd loving it. Bray though is the concern, the man has been death all year, hopefully he doesn't ruin the fun for all for once.

Advertisement