Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use Dell USB-C charger on Samsung S8?

Options
  • 01-12-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone .... I am wondering is it safe to use my Dell laptop charger to charge it? Both use USB-C chargers. The Dell charger is 30W (don't know what voltage the S8 charger is and don't have it to hand right now) but I would assume the world wouldn't introduce cross compatible connectors like this unless they were idiot proof. Still tho, I am pretty nervous about trying it, but it would be really convenient if the one charger could be safely used for both devices. Has anyone else tried this or does anyone have the tech knowledge to say if this would be safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Puteq wrote: »
    I just got a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone .... I am wondering is it safe to use my Dell laptop charger to charge it? Both use USB-C chargers. The Dell charger is 30W (don't know what voltage the S8 charger is and don't have it to hand right now) but I would assume the world wouldn't introduce cross compatible connectors like this unless they were idiot proof. Still tho, I am pretty nervous about trying it, but it would be really convenient if the one charger could be safely used for both devices. Has anyone else tried this or does anyone have the tech knowledge to say if this would be safe?

It should be fine. I’m using a 29 watt usb-c to lightning to charge my iPhone from Apple.
    Your phone will automatically limit the power input

https://www.gottabemobile.com/best-quick-chargers-for-the-galaxy-s8-galaxy-s8-plus/?gbmsl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Good one thanks Blazer, had a read of that article and it was as I thought, Dell charger works fine with it. Gave it a go and my phone didn't blow up anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I think the U is the giveaway here.

jca wrote: »
    I think the U is the giveaway here.

LOL ya I know but then the element of chickening out kicks in when you've got your shiny new phone in one hand and a charger for another device in the other hand ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Puteq wrote: »
    LOL ya I know but then the element of chickening out kicks in when you've got your shiny new phone in one hand and a charger for another device in the other hand ...

Very true. Does it fast charge on the Dell charger?

• Advertisement

I don't think so based on my reading of Blazers link above, but for convenience I'm still happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Patww79 wrote: »
    You'd think, but USB C has been far from seamless in its introduction and a lot of people have damaged devices to show for it. I won't use the one on my laptop.

No harm in someone asking.

Exactly ..usb-c was heralded as the end-all for cables and adapters and look how that’s turned out. You can have usb-c cables which handle power only or data only and cables that handle both. Absolutely farcical

Advertisement