Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Disk Preparation

Options
  • 01-12-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have a 350GB internal working laptop hard disk (SATA) I have taken out and want to format it and use in another device. I have attached it to a laptop (Windows 10) using a USB cable/SATA Cable and external power cable but it does not show up in the list of drives in explorer. When I check in Computer Management/ Storage / Disk Management it does not show up either. When I check Device Manager\USB Controllers it shows up as Mass storage and working. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and how I can fix this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    ...... I have attached it to a laptop (Windows 10) using a USB cable/SATA Cable and external power cable but it does not show up in the list of drives in explorer. When I check in Computer Management/ Storage / Disk Management it does not show up either. When I check Device Manager\USB Controllers it shows up as Mass storage and working. ..................

Sounds like controller for memory card reader:confused:. Look for driver or try different enclosure, on Ebay they start from 2.5 euro
    I have one of these - no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

One more thing to check. Computer Management/ Storage / Disk Management has two sections. You cannot see you drive appear in upper section? Does it appear in bottom section(you might need to maximize "Disk Management" window or scroll down), left side of the mid pane like:
    Drive X
    whatever
    whatever

If yes, right click on it and select Online

Advertisement