Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of the new Seafront murals defaced :(

Options
  • 01-12-2017 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭

As the title says, one of the lovely new murals down on the seafront has already been badly defaced by some talentless disgusting little piece of shít

QKhPejp.jpg

It's a tag that's apparently been showing up all over the town, so if anyone knows who it is could they either report them to the police or maybe 'encourage' them to get a new hobby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Don't we have the area covered by CCTV, This is criminal damage and should be pursued by Gardai.

And please Bray People Newspaper, do not run a story on this, that would give this little knacker exactly what he wants and encourage more to go for their percieved "Glory"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Saw that on Wednesday.

CCTV wouldn't cover that and the CCTV down the seafront doesn't record - it's just to allow the Gardai to view what's happening.

Pity to see of course - taggers have no respect for art / murals etc.

Glad it's not over the girl and is on a piece that can be easily painted over. Be thankful that they didn't destroy the whole thing.

I don't recognise the tag - hadn't seen that one before. I'm a bit out of touch with the taggers of late...

There are a lot of teens visiting the town ' language school so he may not be local. I say that because the tag is technically "good" - as in he knows what he's doing and it takes time and practice to get to that level...

And generally these guys aren't skangers - they're middle class kids with an interest in art / design... usually teenagers / late teens.

(I'm not a tagger - I have researched the area though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's hard to imagine that anyone with even a passing interest in art and design would do something so scummy - as far as I'm concerned tagging is the human equivalent of a dog pissing on a lamppost.

That's exactly what it is - one tag attracts another in the way ....

But the lads who are into it are into art / design from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Don't we have the area covered by CCTV, This is criminal damage and should be pursued by Gardai.

And please Bray People Newspaper, do not run a story on this, that would give this little knacker exactly what he wants and encourage more to go for their percieved "Glory"

Mod

Please don't abusive/pejorative terminology in this forum again regardless of the context. Any issues PM me and don't take this thread off topic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

zoobizoo wrote: »
    There are a lot of teens visiting the town ' language school so he may not be local. I say that because the tag is technically "good" - as in he knows what he's doing and it takes time and practice to get to that level...

“he knows what he is doing”, seriously?? :confused:
    It is very obvious what he has done, he has defaced some artwork.

Your post suggests that whoever did this has reached some level of proficiency. This is simply mindless vandalism, there is no skill in that.

What I'm saying is that it isn't some kid doing it randomly with a marker

So it's an older teen who has been at it a while

So a parent or friend of the person would have seen him practice or do sketches or has a notebook of similar designs which could lead to identifying the culprit

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

And please Bray People Newspaper, do not run a story on this, that would give this little *** exactly what he wants and encourage more to go for their percieved "Glory"

Well done Bray People
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/brave-maeve-mural-for-children-is-vandalised-36381818.html

*slow hand-clap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I saw that and groaned a little, but there is good news - the damage has been fully repaired and I think all of the murals on the seafront have been coated with a protective layer - they all have a glossy finish now, when before they were quite matte. Hopefully it's one of the anti-graffiti paints that can just be wiped clean :)

Yeah so what the Bray People covered the story. Thats what it does. Dont see the problem. I dont think graffitiists will be reading the Bray People for ideas!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Yeah so what the Bray People covered the story. Thats what it does. Dont see the problem. I dont think graffitiists will be reading the Bray People for ideas!!!!!

They don't but a lot of them will be chuffed that they "made the paper" .

I used to see social media accounts online where if a tag had appeared on a wall behind a news reporter on tv that there'd be "high fives" etc...... "saw you on the news last night" etc....

It's all about getting your tag out there to be seen by other taggers.....

zoobizoo wrote: »
    They don't but a lot of them will be chuffed that they "made the paper" .

I doubt they really care about the bray people!!!!!!

I still dont see any problem to be honest. The Bray People readership is hardly people who graffiti. So what if they report on it. What serious evidence is there that news reporting of graffiti encourages it?

Terry Pratchet

So what if they report on it. What serious evidence is there that news reporting of graffiti encourages it?

Well I've studied the online behaviour of about twenty prolific taggers in the south Dublin area.....

tagging is based in noteriety.... It's about being seen.

They won't buy the Bray People but they'll know that they're in it, if they're local.

In the past they might have posted it on their Facebook page (really stupid) or would have put it up on Tumblr or Flickr to remain anonymous.

Advertisement