Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Zoo Wild Lights

Options
  • 01-12-2017 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you can pay at the gate for the Wild Lights event in Dublin Zoo? All tickets are sold out for this weekend :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

kelzer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can pay at the gate for the Wild Lights event in Dublin Zoo? All tickets are sold out for this weekend :(

Thanks

As a cursory check of the FAQs on their website would have told you, no, tickets aren't available at the gate, you have to pre-book.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Where do u park at that time of night in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

parked along chesterfield avenue last night when i was at it. road is well lit up.

hide any valuables and you should be fine. I had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Many cars around and many people around

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As chocksaway has said, the park is well lit up for this, there are floodlights on either side of Chesterfield Avenue in the evenings now while this is running. They stretch from the zoo right down to the roundabout at the Áras and there are also some on the road behind the zoo that runs parallel to the park walls (no idea what that road is called). So it seems to be safe and well lit for all ages. Lots of people parking along Chesterfield Avenue as you would for going to the zoo during the day if the car park is full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone got any reviews?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

My kids loved it. The displays look great and it is a nice experience walking around.
    The Chinese performances are not the best (dancers and juggling etc) and crowded, skip these.
    My one major gripe was the cost of the food, proper rip off. Smuggle your own in if you can.
    There is also a small market with 5 or so huts selling Chinese art and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Just wondering how long it takes to see what's there? Or any advise heading there over the Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Gaz wrote:
    The Chinese performances are not the best (dancers and juggling etc) and crowded, skip these.

Kids loved these so I would say don't skip!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone got any reviews?.

Rubbish tbh. Waste of money. My 3 kids were bored senseless and we were around it in 45 mins and then gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kellier.ie

Hello! I have two adult tickets and one child for Saturday 30th December which I would like to exchange for days 27-28 December?? All days that week are booked out. Thanks for any offers of exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mfceiling wrote: »
    Rubbish tbh. Waste of money. My 3 kids were bored senseless and we were around it in 45 mins and then gone.

We thought it was lovely and the two kids had a great time.. different strokes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Our family really enjoyed it too, will be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭mikekerry

ya I thought it was really good also.
    the lights are really well done.
    hard to see the performances as stage is too low down but overall very good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tickets went on sale at 11am this morning for this years Wild Lights.

I've never been before, other than seeing the installations in place during a daytime visit to the zoo a few years ago, so really looking forward to seeing them at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I thought it was fun night, even in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Would this be enjoyable for just adults, with no children? Or is it really just for families?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

I don't think so. The Lights in the Shackleton Gardens, Clonsilla would be better suited for yiz if nearby. Small but it's free. Extra bonus in having a "Christmas Market" this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

I went one of the first years with just the mrs and enjoyed it. Later times will have less small kids anyway.

Considered a return with the little ones this year but probably wait 'til they're a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dissq1

Do you have a link to details about this by any chance? I tried to go last year and somehow managed to miss it! Would love to know opening times etc. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I went to this with my three kids last year. While it was nice, I don't think it was worth the money and I wouldn't book again.

We went the week before Christmas, at about 7pm in the evening. It was absolutely jammed with people. We had to park miles away and had a 15/20 minute walk just to get to the gate, which obviously had the small one tired out before we even got inside. The installations were quite lovely to look at, but it's a long long walk around the zoo. The kids loved it at the start, but were tired of it by half way through. It didn't help that the walkways were jammed with people, and the smaller kid couldn't see much as they were surrounded by adults. We stopped to get chips and a drink at one point - the queue went for 20 minutes and there was nowhere to sit and eat it as there we so many people there. I paid the guts of €130 for the experience and honestly I wouldn't pay it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd echo the sentiments of the above post...

We went last year in December, and while it's nice to look at the installations at the beginning, after a while when you've seen one, you've seen them all, and by the time we were about half way around, I was ready to leave.. It was also very busy....... Especially when you go up the steps to the Africa plains section which was not a 1 way walking system like the rest of the main area is, so you are walking against the crowd, and there was no order to the crowd walking, so it was just 2 large crowds walking into each other and bumping and jostling against each other to make any progress.....

Nice to see, but nowhere near worth the price of admission (maybe it would be if there weren't as many people let in in each time slot).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Won tickets last year, and while the night was lovely the displays were only ok. Certainly wouldn't be paying the price they charge. & yes, food stalls are a total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

"Festive Lights Show at Shackleton Garden

Experience the amazing light show from Monday 20th November until Sunday 10th December from 4.00pm until 8.00pm every night."

Link: Christmas Markets | Fingal County Council

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

I've got 2 tickets for Dublin Zoo Wild Lights tonight (17.11.2023) 19:00 to give away (for free). We booked them a while ago but the weather is shite tonight and I'm a wuss. If you're interested, just PM me. First come first serve etc. yadda yadda.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

And now we're all booked for NYE 😅

Meeting some friends with their kids and a good excuse to escape back home to Dublin from any potential prolonged stay with the inlaws!

Advertisement