Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI staff recruitment 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

FinalTry32 wrote: »
    I agree with the calls going on that shouldnt reach the screen but sadly with all calls being recorded it aint that easy to dismiss them and write them off the way they used to be. Also the latest force policy in relation to calls has alot to answer for.

Remember their is a fear culture. If you close a call in error and the worst happens you will be crucified

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Passed interview for CDO and now in the merit pool for that! Solid backup now. 2 days from interview.

ML515 wrote: »
    Passed interview for CDO and now in the merit pool for that! Solid backup now. 2 days from interview.

Nice comfy position mate. I wonder if you will have to do two substance miause tests...

Nice comfy position mate. I wonder if you will have to do two substance miause tests...

Good question. Might speed the process up if I only have to submit one? I didn't tell them mind you I was in for 1710.

Good question. Might speed the process up if I only have to submit one? I didn't tell them mind you I was in for 1710.

Don't ask don't get

• Advertisement

Don't ask don't get

It's desperate. I'm receding and I'm purposely growing out my hair to facilitate this. Usually keep it short.

Don't ask don't get

It's desperate. I'm receding and I'm purposely growing out my hair to facilitate this. Usually keep it short.

They can take armpit and chest hair.

I would imagine some people would require a blood sample anyways.

I'm not great with needles but maybe it's worth the pain to get rid of this wispy hair. I just always think it looks bad knowing you've a SMT and going in with a shaven head.

I'm not great with needles but maybe it's worth the pain to get rid of this wispy hair. I just always think it looks bad knowing you've a SMT and going in with a shaven head.

Some folk canny help it lol

I'd mention it to then omce you get a SMT date "oh by the way I am candidate xxxxxxxx as well as xxxxxxxx"

• Advertisement

I'd mention it to then omce you get a SMT date "oh by the way I am candidate xxxxxxxx as well as xxxxxxxx"

Oh yeah. I intend to. I just wanted to get the interview out of the way first. Declaring at the interview, I think subconsciously could have maybe prejudiced the interview panel's opinion. I'll declare it at the first opportunity. That being said, as the PSNI representative told me at the time, it's likely to be six months before I would even be in the role. I could be a student officer potentially by then and have my SMT for 1710 done first. Either way now, I'm just delighted I don't have to resign myself to selling broadband for the rest of my days. Public sector job... thank goodness, they're like hens teeth.

Oh yeah. I intend to. I just wanted to get the interview out of the way first. Declaring at the interview, I think subconsciously could have maybe prejudiced the interview panel's opinion. I'll declare it at the first opportunity. That being said, as the PSNI representative told me at the time, it's likely to be six months before I would even be in the role. I could be a student officer potentially by then and have my SMT for 1710 done first. Either way now, I'm just delighted I don't have to resign myself to selling broadband for the rest of my days. Public sector job... thank goodness, they're like hens teeth.

It's public sector there are very stringent rules around interview scorimg. Only your answers to the questions can score points and tgere's no negative marking

But sure you not get free broadband and a pretty generous pension for a private sector firm lol?

But sure you not get free broadband and a pretty generous pension for a private sector firm lol?

Yeah, plenty of other discounts too. Still don't feel like I'm serving a 'higher purpose' or 'contributing to society' working in a commercially orientated environment though.

Yeah, plenty of other discounts too. Still don't feel like I'm serving a 'higher purpose' or 'contributing to society' working in a commercially orientated environment though.

Nah I did sales for a month and chinned it off, the reptillian part of my brain doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ohh369

Hi everyone! Any other applicants for the ASO position? I’m curious about the selection process after yesterday’s email from Grafton!

Dispatcher really are lowest priority lol

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Blondamundo

Ohh369 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Any other applicants for the ASO position? I’m curious about the selection process after yesterday’s email from Grafton!
    Hi I'm in for it too. I took it that we'd passed the paper sift and to just sit tight. A no news is good news sort of thing. At least Grafton keep you informed. There's been nada re: the dispatcher competition!

Ohh369 wrote: »
    Hi I'm in for it too. I took it that we'd passed the paper sift and to just sit tight. A no news is good news sort of thing. At least Grafton keep you informed. There's been nada re: the dispatcher competition!

ASOs will be under NICS terms and conditions so next phasee will be online test.

Generally a verbal reasoning test, a numeracy test and a situational judegement test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

@Banterbus28 tried sending you a pm there.

• Advertisement

stm1 wrote: »
    @Banterbus28 tried sending you a pm there.

Send when ready

There's rumours going about work that the NICS will have a general service AO and/or EO recruitment competition later this year.

https://irecruit-ext.hrconnect.nigov.net

Keep an eye on the above site.

General service means you can be placed in any NICS department or arms length body.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

In regards to dispatcher, Blondamundo, it is out the window! External recruitment seems to have been scrapped for it most likely because they filled the roles internally.

I also got the ASO email; Banterbus, after that question we talked about I had actually totally disregarded the application and forgot about it until the email came through... Whatever I typed out I must have gotten more than the 4(?) marks that was needed, either that or they didn’t have enough applicants and just is throwing everyone into the next stage lol

Lockie101 wrote: »
    In regards to dispatcher, Blondamundo, it is out the window! External recruitment seems to have been scrapped for it most likely because they filled the roles internally.

I also got the ASO email; Banterbus, after that question we talked about I had actually totally disregarded the application and forgot about it until the email came through... Whatever I typed out I must have gotten more than the 4(?) marks that was needed, either that or they didn’t have enough applicants and just is throwing everyone into the next stage lol

I know folk in in PSNI HR, Dispatcher is still processing it has not been chinned off.

I know folk in in PSNI HR, Dispatcher is still processing it has not been chinned off.

Ah okays, well that’s good to know! Really interesting job and would love to get stuck into the process for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Any movement on the ASO campaign ?

Any movement on the ASO campaign ?

There was emails sent out a day or two ago telling us to hold tight and that there was an assessment of sorts for us at the end of May

Even if you aren't placed straight away guys i'd keep yourself in the pool. And if you don't get an interview just have it ticking away.

Bearing in mind it was 9 months from me completing tests to interview for my job...

Not where I wanna be since I wanna be a constable/police staff but ny bills are paid, and it's a nice waiting room to be in

Hey guys, quick question:

For the bleep test, roughly what distance would it be to get to level 7.6?

• Advertisement

Depends on what bleep test. There's 15m and 20m.

But 7.6 should just be a jogging pace unless you are an unfit slob...

Hey guys, quick question:

For the bleep test, roughly what distance would it be to get to level 7.6?

Depends if it is the 20m or 15m. They're standardised like so I'm sure there is a definitive answer somewhere.

It is the 15m one, I have been running and am usually a pretty natural runner but I am just worrying about the nerves getting to me

If it's 15m you wont even be breaking a sweat by 7.6., just dont turn like a bus. Plant foot on the line and turn.

That’s reassuring, It is coming up pretty soon so the nerves are starting to set in about not only the physical but also the maths and psychometric; I have heard they aren’t the easiest things to do! Just don’t want to travel all the way for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

It should be somewhere in the area of 1.3k at 20m a length.

• Advertisement

blueboat wrote: »
    It should be somewhere in the area of 1.3k at 20m a length.

It's 15m so shave 20% for a conservative estimate. So say 1.04km.

😂😂😂

Easy matey

1KM??!! Not even 1 mile... holy good lord that is stupidly short.... I have been running 2-4 miles every day thinking that I’m not running enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

It’s the constant slowing down turning and accelerating that will wear you down, not quite the same as just running the same distance.

Hence my dont turn like a bus. All you have to do is touch the line...

Hopefully that aspect should be alright then, it is just the other parts I have to worry about now... Anyone have any experience with psychometric tests?

• Advertisement

Hopefully that aspect should be alright then, it is just the other parts I have to worry about now... Anyone have any experience with psychometric tests?

Reams.

Just answer honestly, if in doubt go with gut instinct. However don't rush.

Psychometric tests are designed to have an insight into your intellect/psyche/personality

What is an example of the questions, I couldn’t find any online that actually made sense

If it is a true psychometric test then there is no real way to prepare other than do soduku, crossword and mental arithmetic exercises.

If it is a true psychometric test then there is no real way to prepare other than do soduku, crossword and mental arithmetic exercises.

Here’s to hoping, English will be grand for me as it is my subject but the maths is probably going to be the worst out of them all

Check the emails folks, dispatcher emails have been sent: Someone in the recruitment team won’t have their job for long XD

Got an email saying I passed the selection stage, followed by not one, but two emails that were recalling the previous email which was then following by a fourth email saying that I had not met the eligibility criteria (for some unknown reason). Found this quite funny, I can imagine the recruitment team shouting profanity at the screen after realising they sent me (and probably others) the wrong email. Bound to be a lawsuit in there somewhere ;) XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Check the emails folks, dispatcher emails have been sent: Someone in the recruitment team won’t have their job for long XD

Got an email saying I passed the selection stage, followed by not one, but two emails that were recalling the previous email which was then following by a fourth email saying that I had not met the eligibility criteria (for some unknown reason). Found this quite funny, I can imagine the recruitment team shouting profanity at the screen after realising they sent me (and probably others) the wrong email. Bound to be a lawsuit in there somewhere ;) XD

Haha, was just about to say the same.

Email, you have passed selection, three mins later, email, you havent passed selection. Thank goodness I like my current job or that would have been heartbreaking.

I haven't received anything...

Goonerdee wrote: »

Haha, was just about to say the same.

Email, you have passed selection, three mins later, email, you havent passed selection. Thank goodness I like my current job or that would have been heartbreaking.

Apology Email is being compiled with an M&S voucher 😂😂😂

How did you find that out Banterbus? That probably means you got past selection process because myself and goonerdee did not get it but got the wrong email. Good job I actually forgot about it and wasn’t counting on that job, **** myself when i opened my usually scarce emails and seen 4 emails from PSNI Staff Recruitment

• Advertisement
Advertisement