Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI staff recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Blondamundo

The practice questions for the ASO tests were fairly easy (I thought)
    To thin the herd from over 2k to 150 they'd need to make the questions a bit more challenging. JMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

The practice questions for the ASO tests were fairly easy (I thought)
    To thin the herd from over 2k to 150 they'd need to make the questions a bit more challenging. JMHO

They will at the interview stage

They will want a good sized list to keep in the bank to feed any other posts that arise

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

stm1 wrote: »
    Judging by the info given at the ASO test there was approx 2000-2500 applied with only the top 150 going to interview. Serious competition.
    Top 150 are separated but 144 go forward to interviews is the information given to us today. Presumably the six are there as a backup to makeup numbers in case some of the 144 pull out or cant make the interviews since grafton refuse to reschedule times or dates

To anyone that's sat the ASO test did they give you any indication of a time frame for results?

• Advertisement

Next Tuesday at the latest, hopefully before apparently

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Next Tuesday at the latest, hopefully before apparently
    Grafton really are on the ball!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Guys help me understand this.

For the ASO test the first practise question for the verbal comprehension.

Its says is the cafeteria is open at breakfast?

All it says is ' the cafeteria is from from 7am'

What makes the answer true?? I would say cannot tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Nap702 wrote: »
    Guys help me understand this.

For the ASO test the first practise question for the verbal comprehension.

Its says is the cafeteria is open at breakfast?

All it says is ' the cafeteria is from from 7am'

What makes the answer true?? I would say cannot tell.

It’s a tricky one and I see why but I’d say false because the text given does not state that. Think of it as if you were a Constable standing up in court, could you say that the evidence given states that the cafe was open at breakfast - factually no. Remember what banterbus said, forget what you know to be true in the real world.

The answer is true though lol

• Advertisement

I would have said CT as well, was looking at a friends.

But in the passage there's no mention of when any meal time is so i think then you can use logic.

I am sticking to CT I think its design to make yourself doubt for the actual test. It doesn't even mention the word breakfast so how can it be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Sorry folks I gave my tuppence worth with bleary eyes in the early hours whilst feeding a baby. None the less ... I detest these questions and can’t see how they get the best candidate

Nap702 wrote: »

I am sticking to CT I think its design to make yourself doubt for the actual test. It doesn't even mention the word breakfast so how can it be true.

Written by someone who didnt understand how TFCT tests work

And now we wait again lol Though they did say to expect results soon, perhaps over the weekend.

ASOs;

Guys if they say they are only taking 150 forward I wouldn't take that as an absolute.

This was a general service recruitment campaign.

They will form a list of those who pass the test the first 144 will be called for interview with the 6 reserves.

But if you place >150 you are still on the list.

Of the 144 potentially 150 interviewed they will get those who fail the interview, fail vetting, dropnout etc.

The list will be kept active for a while so they have a pool to draw from as and when required.

The nervous laughter after the end of the 3rd test was hilarious. Guy next to me just looked at me and said ffffuuuccckkkkk

Have a good weekend fellow Boarders! At my ASO test session the Grafton Head Honcho said results may even land over the weekend, so you never know. Given the huge competition I'm not holding out much hope! Anyway. We can but wait. Now, after another **** week in a job I loathe with people I despise, there's a bottle of Rioja here with my name on it! Chin chin!

Results are in

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ohh369

I’m surprised how quickly they got the results out! Hope everyone did well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Any word as to how many jobs there will be for the ASO role?

Any word as to how many jobs there will be for the ASO role?

Probs anticipating 144 as per previous info. This will be over x amount of years.

However people will fail the next stage so you all have a chance.

They will likely keep the list active for 2 years, maybe 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

So if you're in the top 150 you got a good chance?

So if you're in the top 150 you got a good chance?

Yes, just do your best in the next phase PM me buddy

Feeling very nervous about the the next stage. I presume it’ll be an interview? Def not one of my strong points.

Ohh369 wrote: »
    Feeling very nervous about the the next stage. I presume it’ll be an interview? Def not one of my strong points.

You have been told it won't be an interview...

Have I missed something? Only news I got was about a “final stage assessment”.

Have I missed something? Only news I got was about a “final stage assessment”.
    We were told quite categorically after our test session it was going to be an assessment and not an interview. Also says it in the results email.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Simonsays132

Just got an email through inviting me to second and final assessment next week. Any clue what the assessment may involve, it tells us just to read up the job description....nervous to say the least. Congrats to anybody else with this email through too

• Advertisement

Just got an email through inviting me to second and final assessment next week. Any clue what the assessment may involve, it tells us just to read up the job description....nervous to say the least. Congrats to anybody else with this email through too

Sounds like a role play.

Haven’t had much of a chance to get on here but I missed the ASO by 1 mark on the clerical checking but passed the other two so overall a fail... ah well, heading back over to the mainland very soon for the final stage of another recruitment campaign anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I know this isn't police related but just incase it interests anyone. MI5 are currently looking for a business support officer.
    Closing date is end of this week.
    Full civil service benefits same as police etc £26k a year.

https://recruitmentservices.applicationtrack.com/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-2/xf-9d47672eeeb8/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/4/opp/1460-Business-Support-Officer-Ref-1460/en-GB

Also got told today that MI5 will be hiring around Sept time for their N.I Security protection teams.
    And the NCA are also due to be hiring in Sept too for N.I.
    Just in case anyone who isn't in the running for Police wants to apply for a diff type of law enforcement.

NiK9 wrote: »
    I know this isn't police related but just incase it interests anyone. MI5 are currently looking for a business support officer.

https://recruitmentservices.applicationtrack.com/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-2/xf-9d47672eeeb8/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/4/opp/1460-Business-Support-Officer-Ref-1460/en-GB

Also got told today that MI5 will be hiring around Sept time for their N.I Security protection teams.
    Just in case anyone who isn't in the running for Police wants to apply for a diff type of law enforcement.

In addition to the above of you do apply DO NOT tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Can someone clarify - I’ve seen the NCA wear “police” branded clothing for identification purposes but they aren’t really police? In the sense that while their officers have the powers and privileges of a constable, they aren’t actually constable a/special constables? What are they then? “Officers”? “Investigatiors”? Are they police without being a police force? Are they law enforcement?

*Applies to MI5*

*Instantly changes facebook employment to “Working at MI5”

Wouldn’t put it past some people Banterbus XD

• Advertisement

Funny you should say that but there are constables who post their photo job and station on LinkedIn... Police staff too. Idiots. Complacent.

Haven’t a clue about the danger they are putting themselves and other in by doing it... Absolutely stupid

ML515 wrote: »

Can someone clarify - I’ve seen the NCA wear “police” branded clothing for identification purposes but they aren’t really police? In the sense that while their officers have the powers and privileges of a constable, they aren’t actually constable a/special constables? What are they then? “Officers”? “Investigatiors”? Are they police without being a police force? Are they law enforcement?

NCA have full police powers when theyare conferred them.

They can also be co opted the powers of a customs officer and a border officer. They callcit being triple hatted.

That makes sense. Thanks. Not all NCA officers need powers...hence why they aren't attested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

ML515 wrote: »
    That makes sense. Thanks. Not all NCA officers need powers...hence why they aren't attested.

They are basically given the powers they need for their specific task/assignment. Including being armed.

7. NCA officers will be able to hold the respective powers of a constable, immigration officer and customs officer but they are not ‘office holders’. An NCA officer who is designated with operational powers is not therefore a constable, nor are they an immigration officer or customs officer – if designated they can hold the powers of those offices, but they will not hold the office itself.

Clear as mud!

Constables from UK forces can do secondments with the NCA though 😎

Once you are in the police the number of possible jobs you can do will blow your mind.

I'm sure that gig at the paramilitary crime task force is some show! Would love to be involved in operations disrupting some serious criminality.

Public Protection branch and child internet protection section for me.

But if i get dogs i'll never leave 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nb1234

Hey all, have been watching this thread like a hawk, applied for call handler, dispatcher and cdo, have passed everything for the call handler and now have received an e-mail about online learning etc so It seems to be going in the right direction, good luck to all !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yellow duck

Nb1234 wrote: »
    Hey all, have been watching this thread like a hawk, applied for call handler, dispatcher and cdo, have passed everything for the call handler and now have received an e-mail about online learning etc so It seems to be going in the right direction, good luck to all !
    Did u pass interview for cdo

Just so you guys are aware by the time you's start the pay will be more than advertised. Then add 20% for shift allowance and pay will be circa 24k for CDOs and CHs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nb1234

I didn’t pass the initial assessment for that, same as for the dispatcher, passed the assessment but didn’t score high enough for an interview.

I honestly don’t know what to do , weather to take the call handler job or not as I’m in a good job at the minute 🀔

I didn’t pass the initial assessment for that, same as for the dispatcher, passed the assessment but didn’t score high enough for an interview.

I honestly don’t know what to do , weather to take the call handler job or not as I’m in a good job at the minute 🀔

What salary range you on now and what kinda pension provision do you receive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement