Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI staff recruitment 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

NiK9 wrote: »
    ML515 wrote: »
    ML515 wrote: »
    They're paid like 16K a year though... That must be some quare pay cut from the MDP. You'd get that at a supermarket.

??

They don't get, they get between 19-20 and 3 on 5 off. Most have 2nd jobs lol

The last time NISGS advertised it was in and around 16k per annum 4 on and 4 off. Given that you would be working a rota basis including night shifts how could you even find a second job??

That's why it's nearly all ex military, serving reservists, or ex police that do it. Peoole who are already receiving their pensions etc. It's deff a job to have during/ coming up to retirement.

Most are ex Home Service Royal Irish or Full time Reserve RUC/PSNI 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Nb1234

Has anyone got any word back on the interview for changing their date? I’m looking to change mine to any of the last 2 dates they give because I cannot get off work for any of the others

Nb1234 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any word back on the interview for changing their date? I’m looking to change mine to any of the last 2 dates they give because I cannot get off work for any of the others

You'll get one of the guys who wanted the early slots dates then, they are probs waiting until tgey are sure no more requests are to come in then going to make the decisions. Wait out.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Peelerwannabe

Nb1234 wrote: »

I have not heard a peep yet!

Guys i emailed the Grafton contact in relation to another matter and they are out of the office until Thursday 5th July so unlikely that we will get a response to our requests before then.

We may do as the email account we were to email was different but just passing on the info I have obtained just so you's all know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cazzie23

I have read some of the posts re the pay scale etc that have been indicated on here and I have asked colleagues (civilians and officers) there opinions regarding some of the figures quoted. Firstly when you are employed by the PSNI as police staff you are a direct recruit, you are not civil servant. We do work from the civil service handbook and pay scale but that is as far as Civil Service comes into the job role. It is my understanding the starting point will be 24429 but you will only be paid shift allowance for unsocial hours and you will only get premiums for weekends if detailed overtime, if a Saturday and Sunday is your working weekend you will get no extra it is incorporated into the pay scale. My husband has confirmed this as the same for a Police Officers. You are basically condensing all your hours into 4 days. The job description states it may attract shift related allowances. My husband gets paid no more for doing his late shift than my colleagues who sit behind a desk and do 8-4. If you are successful in the interview please clarify this with HR before you take the role in case you have a drop in wages.

cazzie23 wrote: »
    I have read some of the posts re the pay scale etc that have been indicated on here and I have asked colleagues (civilians and officers) there opinions regarding some of the figures quoted. Firstly when you are employed by the PSNI as police staff you are a direct recruit, you are not civil servant. We do work from the civil service handbook and pay scale but that is as far as Civil Service comes into the job role. It is my understanding the starting point will be 24429 but you will only be paid shift allowance for unsocial hours and you will only get premiums for weekends if detailed overtime, if a Saturday and Sunday is your working weekend you will get no extra it is incorporated into the pay scale. My husband has confirmed this as the same for a Police Officers. You are basically condensing all your hours into 4 days. The job description states it may attract shift related allowances. My husband gets paid no more for doing his late shift than my colleagues who sit behind a desk and do 8-4. If you are successful in the interview please clarify this with HR before you take the role in case you have a drop in wages.

I have confirmed the opposite with cirrently serving CDOs and CHs...

Shift Disturbance Allowances as per NICS pay and reward policy stands.

Employees of arms length bodies such as the Probation board, Invest NI, Parades Commission, Ulster Scots Agency are not Civil servants either and above stands.

You are a direct recruit to the PSNI and NICS pay and reward policy stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FinalTry32

You get the premiums every weekend you work and always get shift allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I know I'm going to get slated for saying this but I'm saying it as a tax payer and someone who currently works shifts!!.
    Shift allowance is the biggest pile of bull**** and waste of tax payers money.
    Why should someone get more money for doing their normal job. If you sign up to a job that has shifts you should expect to work shifts end off. It's different if you're a set hours eg 9-5 and then get asked to work a different shift to help cover something. Other than that shift allowance should be done away with.

• Advertisement

I know I'm going to get slated for saying this but I'm saying it as a tax payer and someone who currently works shifts!!.
    Why should someone get more money for doing their normal job. If you sign up to a job that has shifts you should expect to work shifts end off. It's different if you're a set hours eg 9-5 and then get asked to work a different shift to help cover something. Other than that shift allowance should be done away with.

Blame NIPSA.

GB force staff who are under home civil service T&Cs don't get it as good as NICS.

Well if I’m wrong I have no issues admitting it but it was the general consensus between PSNI colleagues today and I would still advise anyone who is successful to double check the pay and job description. We didn’t know anyone as an EOII grade starting at £30 grand a year.

Well said!! 100% agree in this household

Well if I’m wrong I have no issues admitting it but it was the general consensus between PSNI colleagues today and I would still advise anyone who is successful to double check the pay and job description. We didn’t know anyone as an EOII grade starting at £30 grand a year.

SDA lays out frequency of nights shifts of 2 outta 4 shifts attracts a salary enhancement of 20%. This however also possibly due tonthe fact that after EO2 there's next to no promotion opportunities in Contact Management. Once you are max scale only way you can climb is to apply for internal Trawls or Promotions boards at EO1-DP level. And as you well know yourself there's not that many DPs in PSNI.

FinalTry32 wrote: »
    Even for working a 7am-7pm (so 12hrs paid shift allowance)

Even for working a 7am-7pm (so 12hrs paid shift allowance)

As you work 4 on 4 off or 5 over 7 then 2 over 7. You get paid your shift allowance as a salary enhancement not a per hourly allowance.

Sat and Sun premiums are per hourly enhancement.

Overtime is 1.33 time basic rate with 20% shift enhancement

Problem is though that 20% uplift is completely pensionable so you lose 5.45% off the top. Premiums are not pensionable and are taxable.

With greatest of respect when/if you get into the Police Service you won’t know what opportunities you will get. I have already posted to seriously consider these roles as they are hard to transfer out off but it certainly isn’t impossible.

With greatest of respect when/if you get into the Police Service you won’t know what opportunities you will get. I have already posted to seriously consider these roles as they are hard to transfer out off but it certainly isn’t impossible.

I fully respect and understand your input but in the employee handbook look at SDA. It should be available on your HR portal.

I am an EOII and obviously have looked at the full picture. My goal is police officer but I want a plan B that I can both enjoy and make into a career.

Like I said the only way outta the roles will be by Trawl or pormotion board but you can be held on for business needs.

My whole point at the beginning of my initial post was to make people aware who are successful to double check and to re-read the salary details in the job description. It is ok to be wrong sometimes and if that is the case with me that is fine. At times you come across confrontational and condescending towards people’s views and knowledge and I know it’s not the first time it has been said but it really puts people off posting on here. I thought as a Police Civilian I could try and help from an inside point of view and not just quote civil service rules and regulations.

• Advertisement

My whole point at the beginning of my initial post was to make people aware who are successful to double check and to re-read the salary details in the job description. It is ok to be wrong sometimes and if that is the case with me that is fine. At times you come across confrontational and condescending towards people’s views and knowledge and I know it’s not the first time it has been said but it really puts people off posting on here. I thought as a Police Civilian I could try and help from an inside point of view and not just quote civil service rules and regulations.

Not intended to be confrontational but this is my livelyhood; I'm actually risk averse so i have dug and investigated as much I can.

I'm sotry youbfind it condescending but the PSNI is obliged to adhere to the terms and conditions for civvy staff imposed as a result of central whitley negotiations.

Your inbox is full lol

NIFRS are looking control room operators;

https://nifrs.erecruit.co.uk/erecruit/job/details.do;jsessionid=8D429280002DDFE2ECC2A1B2C49FDACB?jobId=78

If you's want a seperate thread for it lemme know.

Your inbox is full lol

Sorted now!!

Anyone get the arrangements they needs
    ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Arniez12

https://nifrs.erecruit.co.uk/erecruit/job/details.do;jsessionid=8D429280002DDFE2ECC2A1B2C49FDACB?jobId=78

Seen that myself, selection process is nails! Many hours of prep would be going into that

Arniez12 wrote: »

Seen that myself, selection process is nails! Many hours of prep would be going into that

I applied the last time .. Def wasnt an easy process!!

Pay is good, location is good, NILGOSC pension, that presentation will be a tightener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Arniez12

Yea definitely, I have good experience of presenting etc but never in a job application setting. Unsure of what that would consist of.

• Advertisement

Yea definitely, I have good experience of presenting etc but never in a job application setting. Unsure of what that would consist of.

I think they give you the theme.

Advertisement