Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI staff recruitment 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Blondamundo

Can you post a link then?
    Especially as you stated earlier it was incomplete?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

I think the biggest bonus of ASO vs CDO or CH roles is that it is 9-5 based office work. You won't get that with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Maxi515 wrote: »
    I think the biggest bonus of ASO vs CDO or CH roles is that it is 9-5 based office work. You won't get that with the rest.

That's not guaranteed as you can be posted anywhere. Most roles will be.

But if you are placed in an operational support role or an investigative support role you will be in with the Cons

Only guaranteed plus side would be you wont be sent across the country.

Staff assist officers in all aspects of service delivery. So you may still get to do policey stuff.

But you could end up in payroll as well or procuring pens.

From the hours of work section.

"Some roles may entail shift working attracting appropriate allowances. Full details will be provided to successful candidates.
    "

From the hours of work section.

"Some roles may entail shift working attracting appropriate allowances. Full details will be provided to successful candidates.
    "

To give you an idea;

Hourly rate is £10.30

Week day overtime is time and 1/3rd time so around £13.73/hr

Saturday and nights is roughly time and half so around £15.45/hr. (Time and a third plus a premium)

Sunday and public holidays is double time so around £20.60/hr. If you work a statutory day you get TOIL and double time.

• Advertisement

That's not guaranteed as you can be posted anywhere. Most roles will be.

But if you are placed in an operational support role or an investigative support role you will be in with the Cons

My understanding was that they were looking to fill vacancies for Finance in Mahon Road, Armagh.

My understanding was that they were looking to fill vacancies for Finance in Mahon Road, Armagh.[/quote]

For the candidate information booklet.

"Location: Vacancies exist across districts and departments throughout
    Northern Ireland.
    "

Most vacancies are advertised internally before they go external. I know an ASO (he might post here actually as he's in for 1710 and a lurker??) Got word that it was for finance, most of the department is based in Armagh, others in Lisburn.

They could be looking to fill places in finance in particular...

The evidence available to me;

Candidate info booklet

And

A fam friend in PSNI HR.

Both say that this is a general service competition. Which also means that reserve lists will be compiled to fill vacancies in future.

Happy days. It's a moot point really. Trying to give people an idea of where they're likely to be travelling to should they be successful.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Most vacancies are advertised internally before they go external. I know an ASO (he might post here actually as he's in for 1710 and a lurker??) Got word that it was for finance, most of the department is based in Armagh, others in Lisburn.

Not one upping here buddy....

Read the CIB.

• Advertisement

It will likely be that at the stage they invite people to interview they will do a location preference type thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FinalTry32

The last time ASO’s were recruited it could have been a job anywhere, you were offered a job in a location, if you decided you didnt want it then you go back to the bottom of the list.

Atleast it isnt like the comp i got recruited on. Take your appointment offer or bye bye

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Applied for ASO there, lets see what happens!

Lockie101 wrote: »
    Applied for ASO there, lets see what happens!

Beer that man

• Advertisement

Been looking up but there is minimal information from what I can see on the daily roles and responsibilities of ASO, can anyone assist? Has anyone else applied or thinking of applying? At this stage I will take anything that is linked or allows me to work in or with the police since that is where I want to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Been looking up but there is minimal information from what I can see on the daily roles and responsibilities of ASO, can anyone assist? Has anyone else applied or thinking of applying? At this stage I will take anything that is linked or allows me to work in or with the police since that is where I want to be

I’m currently sitting filling in my application. Like you I will do anything to work in some sort of police job. If I’m not successful this time round working within a police station may give me some other info and tips for next time round.

At this stage I will just be happy to be the janitor in a police station just so I can work there (not dissing the janitors out there, you all do a great job <3)

At this stage I will just be happy to be the janitor in a police station just so I can work there (not dissing the janitors out there, you all do a great job :heart:)

Yep I feel exactly the same

Did you find any videos or online information about the ASO? Just so I know more about what I’m getting myself into, probably should have before i applied but I didn’t want to miss the soon deadline

Did you find any videos or online information about the ASO? Just so I know more about what I’m getting myself into, probably should have before i applied but I didn’t want to miss the soon deadline

Nope nothing. Just applied in the hope I’m successful then worry about the actual job. Haha

That’s one way to do it I suppose XD

That’s one way to do it I suppose XD

Definitely not the way I normally do things but hey ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Hey everyone, keeping political views aside about the military.
    But a friend of mine told me today that he has applied for RAF Police that are hiring Reserves to be based at Aldergrove. Obviously its part-time but it's same qualifications needed for it as PSNI so anyone who has applied for psni before could go for it. Can gain some good qualifications and some police experience if you do join. Always worth a try, aswell as the police staff jobs.

NiK9 wrote: »
    But a friend of mine told me today that he has applied for RAF Police that are hiring Reserves to be based at Aldergrove. Obviously its part-time but it's same qualifications needed for it as PSNI so anyone who has applied for psni before could go for it. Can gain some good qualifications and some police experience if you do join. Always worth a try, aswell as the police staff jobs.
    m

Great. Thanks NiK9

• Advertisement

Sounds good, anyone got a link to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Sounds good, anyone got a link to it?

Contact the recruitment centre at Palace Barracks, 0345 605 5555

Here is the link to the job description, reserve info is below the full-time stuff. (it says on the site the number of police jobs at Aldergrove are limited).

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/roles-finder/force-protection/raf-police/

Registered my interest and will complete the form when I have time, thanks for the information NiK9! Love this forum and everyone who contributes, great to see a community of people helping each other and I hope that some day I have the pleasure to serve side by side with some of you

RAF reserves, along with any reserves, with help with police.

Primarily in the fitness side of things.

RAF police probs have the coolest military police jobs.

If you deploy you may get attached to a C-130/C-17/Airbus A400/Airbus Voyager.

Here you act as both the force protection for the aircraft amd the crew. And will also do passenger check in and bag searches.

You could literally be sitting in RAF Brize Norton on a monday morning and by monday evening be checking troops ontothe aircraft in Cyprus to be sonewhere else by tuesday morning...

Also if you are stuck for work at any psrticular time and have fully passed training, they can squared you away.

Lockie do you have a levels/working towards them? Pm me of you do

ASO jobs will be Admin guys. Obviously a lot of what a peeler does is admin.

Think of an administration job in an office.

Then apply it to a police station, or other police establishment.

As it's a general service competition you can be placed anywhere there is an admin post at that grade.

Could be in Garnerville.

Could be in Police HQ

Could be in a police station

ASO is the amalgamated grade that came about when they combined AOs and AAs.

There will be no line management responsibility as the first line management grade is EO2

Closest job description to ASO i can find.

Police staff follow NICS grading and pay and this link is from an AO recruitment competition from 2013 and as such is a little outdated so ignore the NICS specific stuff and the pay.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://irecruit-ext.hrconnect.nigov.net/&ved=2ahUKEwiNo_bzwPTZAhUsKsAKHb6mCq8QFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1s2ADqO3wbMMi6n25EAkF6

Police Staff Analogous Grades Strength (FTE)
    Grade 3 1
    Grade 5 5
    Grade 6 16
    Grade 7 45
    Deputy Principal 104
    Staff Officer 232
    Executive Officer 1 331
    Executive Officer 2 320
    Administrative Officer 989
    Administrative Assistant 125
    Industrial Grade 51
    Total Police Staff (includes temporary workers) 2219

• Advertisement

Looked at the ASO job description there (or as close to one as there is) and it does sound pretty good! Another viable option for me, hopefully it goes better than for me than the CH did XD

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrlovalova22

Anyone had any word yet, who have applied for the dispatcher/controller job?

No and theres unlikely to be any wordin the near future if the info I've got is correct. I'm slinging hat into the ring for the ASO in the meantime.

Giys they have internal dispatchers almost ready to go and so external dispatchers are low priority.

^^^ what he said! That's the info I got too.

Grafton are a small firm remember not like Deloitte

• Advertisement

I could take take the pay hit otherwise i'd be all over ASO like a rash

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lou Lou 73

Is this only open for current civil servants?

Must be.

Apologies.

However if you work in a NICS depsrtment of NDPB you are considered CS.

Weird shift patrern though...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lou Lou 73

Aww- currently employed in education so it's a no go for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement