Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping warm

Options
  • 01-12-2017 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I recently bought this jacket as well as a base layer and a thin head and neck warmer.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-warm-cycling-jacket-black-blue-id_8369415.html

I went out with them all on the other night and jeans but could not get warmed up, the wind was cutting me in two. I was cycling hard at times but still felt cold.

I did used to wear a normal lined north face jacket that actually seemed to make me sweat.

I thought the base layer and jacket would have been enough. Should I have another layer on too?

Also is there anything better than jeans to wear as bottoms? Not sure the tights look suits me but I don't want something catching on the bike etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Just add another layer, a long sleeved tee or thick tee shirt and see how you go. No need for anything fancy or cycling specific.

You could get a pair of leggings to throw under the jeans. If you're just spinning around town it's a matter of adding layers you don't need to be investing in anything cycling specific.

In this weather I wear leggings + shorts, base layer + shirt + jacket (wind stopper). Buff and gloves then for neck/ears/hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

veganrun wrote: »
    I recently bought this jacket as well as a base layer and a thin head and neck warmer.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-warm-cycling-jacket-black-blue-id_8369415.html

I went out with them all on the other night and jeans but could not get warmed up, the wind was cutting me in two. I was cycling hard at times but still felt cold.

I did used to wear a normal lined north face jacket that actually seemed to make me sweat.

I thought the base layer and jacket would have been enough. Should I have another layer on too?

Also is there anything better than jeans to wear as bottoms? Not sure the tights look suits me but I don't want something catching on the bike etc.

Cycle harder!

It’s all about the layers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm a cold blooded animal. In winter i'd have long sleeved thermal vest, long sleeved top, winter jacket, and winter gloves. On bottom, long leg base, shorts + leg warmers, neoprene overshoes. Beanie, neck warmer and helmet on head. Toastie all day in that get-up on icy days. Hot porridge and tea before heading out also works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Don't stop at red lights*. I find this is where I cool down too much and feel the chill.

(*please do stop at red lights)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stop at red lights and bask in their warm infrared glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭billyhead

You cant go wrong with a canterbury base layer.I use one under my winter jacket and I am snug as a bug in a rug;)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

godtabh wrote:
    It’s all about the layers

Is it though? Source? I found this interesting and I'd rather just a top and a jacket but currently use layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

veganrun wrote: »
    Also is there anything better than jeans to wear as bottoms?...
    Anything is better than jeans.
    Well, maybe not a pair of Y-fronts on their own, but I haven't tried that yet.

recedite wrote: »
    Well, maybe not a pair of Y-fronts on their own, but I haven't tried that yet.

When we need to deploy that secret weapon to make the general public better appreciate lycra, you're it Rec. Chance to shine ;)

• Advertisement

I'm normally the last to complain of the cold and I'm grand most days I've been out lately but feeling the chill down below :( What to other lads do?

I'm in unpadded pants with MTB shorts over them and still feel the chill

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

My toes have been freezing recently. The rest of me has been toasty. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

alentejo wrote:
    My toes have been freezing recently. The rest of me has been toasty. Any advice?

Toe cosys! And fire feet socks from galibier!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have that btwin jacket and find it's good in the cold. I have some of their base layers too, possibly the 500. They're not brilliant. You might get warm initially but you can feel the moisture in them on your skin.

A merino base layer and the jacket would be my recommendation, or a baselayer and jersey then jacket.

alentejo wrote: »

Neoprene overshoes do the trick for me, still warm enough even when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

smacl wrote: »
    alentejo wrote: »

Neoprene overshoes do the trick for me, still warm enough even when wet.

Make sure your shoes aren't laced up to tight, reducing the circulation. I'd to loosen mine up the other day to stop them getting numb

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Its been pretty cold lately and there isn't much that can be done in such weather but go old school - newspaper inside your jersey, helps alot.

Advertisement