Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot impediment

• 01-12-2017 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I had an injury which has left me with a nerve impediment in my left leg /foot. Essentially i have weakness which means i could push down with my left foot but i have minimal ability to pull up with my left foot. As a result then, i couldnt operate the gearbox to go up the gears on a bike.

Other than a moped, is there any option for an automatic bike?

Im 6ft 4 also so wondering if any options open to me on two wheels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look at a Honda NC series with DCT, its a dual clutch transmission and can be controlled from the Handlebars or shift automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Look at a Honda NC series with DCT, its a dual clutch transmission and can be controlled from the Handlebars or shift automatically.

Agreed.
    DCT is an ideal solution. I had a short test on the Africa Twin and was (mostly) very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you could also have a cruiser style shifter where you press down on separate sides of the one shifter for up or down gears

601-351_A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Heel & Toe change on Harley's might suit, failing that, as mentioned above, look at automatics. Test rode the DCT Africa Twin myself last Saturday and was impressed.

If the size of that puts you off, the NC is good, but they have a few DCT models too. http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2016-honda-automatic-motorcycle-dct-review-models-specs-ctx-nc-700-750-crf-1000-vfr-1200

Don't underestimate 'super-scooters' - Burgman 650 and TMax 530 are very capable.

There's a guy in Joe Duffy Motorrad whose Dad drives a CTX750, adapted for loss of use of his right hand - the throttle just moved to l.h. handlebar, and no clutch to deal with, so remarkably straightforward. Lovely low seat too. His son brings it to work in there the odd time.

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/motorcycles-models/2016/honda-ctx700n-dct-review-specs-ctx700ndg-cruiser

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Isn't there an FJR model that has push button gears too?

You have a few options, beyond those hateful NC yokes and super scooters.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Isn't there an FJR model that has push button gears too?

You have a few options, beyond those hateful NC yokes and super scooters.

I assume you've driven both, then ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I assume you've driven both, then ?

Nope.

Super scooters: yes. NC: no.

However, ones does not need to ride an NC to know that it is one of the ugliest lines of two wheeled vehicles ever conceived. And how you'd stop the small boys laughing is anyone's guess.

Plus, super scooters are not motorcycles.

QED.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Nope.

Supper scooters: yes. NC: no.

However, ones does not need to ride an NC to know that it is one of the ugliest lines of two wheeled vehicles ever conceived. And how you'd stop the small boys laughing is anyone's guess.

Plus, super scooters are not motorcycles.

QED.

Honda would beg to differ. And many thousands of owners.

As to super scooters; if you haven't ridden one, probably best refraining from pronouncing them good/bad until you have.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Honda would beg to differ. And many thousands of owners.

As to super scooters; if you haven't ridden one, probably best refraining from pronouncing them good/bad until you have.

Eh, which bit of "Super scooters: yes" implied a negative?

I have ridden super scooters, but the point is, they aren't motorcycles.

I never hinted as to their characteristics one way or t'other, your inference, not mine.

And as the OP said "other than a moped" - I'd lump super scoots on there too.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

don't split hairs yis kunts we are here to help a lad with a gammy foot find a way to ride a bike doesn't matter if its a moped or a unicycle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Yeah some people just love a row...;)...

Maybe he should look at one of those fugly3 wheel Yamaha yokes...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely don't rule out a super scooter. Great yolks. You could easily tour on them. I've used a 600 silverwing a few times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Yamaha FJR would get my vote. Bullet proof motorcycle and with a hand (Finger) change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Depends on the intended usage, the NC is a throughly practical bike with amazing fuel consumption figures.
    FJR is a big tourer and its running costs will significantly outweigh the NC7XX series machines, you would be doing well to get more than 5k out of a rear tyre.
    There is also another NC variant the Integra which is like a Maxi-scooter but with full size wheels.
    So you have a few variants on that P-twin with DCT to look at, plus maxi-scoots and up to the FJR with the A-transmission.
    Africa Twin with DCT.

Advertisement