Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled insurance

Options
  • 01-12-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I'm returning to Ireland after spending the last 3 years outside the country. When I was younger I had an accident which an 18k claim was put in against me for whiplash (5 years ago). I then had a policy cancelled on me due to some confusion surrounding that claim. I disclosed the claim to the company but they then cancelled my insurance. I can't remember the exact details but I know I was honestbwith them.

This cancelled policy is making it impossible for me to get insurance . if I didn't disclose the info about this claim would new insurers be able to find out about it? I know that this is not the right thing to do, but because of where I live I need a car to work. If I can't get insurance I will have to emigrate again. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I think they ask have you any claims in the last 5 years , so what date was your claim, if it was 5 years ago as you say you might be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I think they ask have you any claims in the last 5 years , so what date was your claim, if it was 5 years ago as you say you might be ok.

The issue he will face is most likely that he had a policy force cancelled by an insurance company.

No bonus.
    Claim.
    Forced cancellation.
    Hasn't been driving in Ireland for 3 years.

The only way I can see him getting a quote will be with the assistance of the declined cases agreement.

Advertisement