Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Garda who cancelled 744 penalty point notices won't be charged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It's not enough to prove he cancelled points. It has to be proven that he did so without good cause or reason. In any case, what charge would you bring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Section 12 offences against penalty points

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In any other job that would be gross misconduct and they would get the sack, immediately. But not the Gardai, or, it seems, many other civil servant fcuk ups...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

Was it not a case of the login details of a a senior officer being used by multiple guards to cancel points? Think it was the details of an Inspector in Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

josip wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/1201/924240-senior-garda-cancelled-774-penalty-points-notices-in-17-counties/

WTF? At this stage, I accept a lot of what goes on in this country and can shrug it off but this has me mad.
    I have a lot of respect for the Gardai, but surely charges should be brought against this guy for this?

They've been more or less a law unto themselves for decades. Penalty points is the least of what they've been at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's not enough to prove he cancelled points. It has to be proven that he did so without good cause or reason. In any case, what charge would you bring?

Em, dismissal for misconduct and abuse of power Captain? The proof he did it without good cause or reason is the fact there was no explanation given as to why they were wiped in the first place in most cases-
    'The report adds that 72% of all cancelled fixed charge notices were simply recorded as "cancelled", with no further explanation given'

Em, dismissal for misconduct and abuse of power Captain? The proof he did it without good cause or reason is the fact there was no explanation given as to why they were wiped int he first place.

I asked what charge. Dismissal is not a criminal charge.

And no, absence of proof to the contrary is not proof of the claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Nothing surprised me about the Gardai anymore. They are a law onto themselves. They have zero respect for our elected representatives either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Obstruction of justice.

What legitimate reason do you think he could give for cancelling 744 tickets?

• Advertisement

A new report says 1 senior Garda cancelled 744 fixed charge penalty notices across 17 counties and the credentials of retired senior Gardai were used to authorise cancellations.

Nice. He tried to hide it too!

Obstruction of justice.

Under which section of law?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ballstein wrote: »
    Was it not a case of the login details of a a senior officer being used by multiple guards to cancel points? Think it was the details of an Inspector in Pearse St.
    I think this is the main issue around it.

In order to bring any kind of charges; be they legal or disciplinary; you need a lot more evidence than spreadsheets.

You need to be able to prove that it wasn't a case of credentials being shared. Which is probably was.

And no, a Garda's credentials being shared isn't gross misconduct on his part unless you can prove that this practice was specifically classified as misconduct and you can prove that it wasn't SOP.

That is, an organisation can state that sharing credentials is not permitted. But if everyone does it, and management know about it, then you can't discipline a single individual for engaging in the practice because it's de facto been approved by management.

This is the issue here. The amount of effort required to separate the wheat from the chaff and bring any meaningful charges out of it, way outstrip any benefit you might get from it.

At best, GSOC now have the data to require wide-sweeping reforms and to have these practices stopped.

GSOC said it has now closed its investigation and will not pursue criminal or disciplinary proceedings because the cost would outweigh the benefit.

Classy. How will they ever change????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/1201/924240-senior-garda-cancelled-774-penalty-points-notices-in-17-counties/

WTF? At this stage, I accept a lot of what goes on in this country and can shrug it off but this has me mad.
    I have a lot of respect for the Gardai, but surely charges should be brought against this guy for this?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

It's absolutely sickening. Literally because there was so much systemic abuse of the system.. it's 'too much effort' to bring disciplinary charges against those who did wrong.

It seems to be, 'if we charge one, we have to charge them all..' but that would be too much effort /cost. Safety in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

Loss of revenue?

Assuming 80 euro per fixed charge, that's a 59,520 loss to the exchequer. Not millions but still.

In the PULSE system, the reason field is mandatory but can be fooled highlighting it and hitting the spacebar, no text required. Reading about the McCabe situation, they would be putting in reasons such as 'bees attacking livestock' or 'late for swimming lesson'. Even where they are cancelled for seemingly legitimate reasons such as medical emergencies then where is the actual proof to back it up? Oh yes I forgot, that would actually involve work....

For the ridiculous reasons that didn't warrant cancellation there should be consequences but there won't be. Most were simply put in as 'cancelled'. Cancelled why? For what reason? Oh, so it was Guards logging in and cancelling notices using credentials from retired Guards so we're only wasting our time? Right so, thus concludes our thorough investigation. Case closed.

We all know deep down this is a case of doing a favour for a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend and that the Guard in question faces no sanctions of accountability. It's another case of 'move along, nothing to see here'.

GSOC investigators received data relating to the issuing of 1.6 million fixed charge notices and 74,373 cancellations of fixed charge notices in the years 2009 to 2012.

Assume half of the cancellations are legitimate. that would leave 37186 and at say 60 on average per fine then we're talking millions. 2.23 million.

LOL, yet people still get done for 50 bags of weed. Costs outweigh the benefits my arse. :rolleyes:

valoren wrote: »
    Loss of revenue?
    "Loss of revenue" is not a crime. The Gardai are a not a business so "loss of revenue" is not a disciplinary matter a Garda can be charged with.

So, what's the charge? What's the actual crime?

And how would you go about proving it, beyond a reasonable doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

seamus wrote: »
    "Loss of revenue" is not a crime. The Gardai are a not a business so "loss of revenue" is not a disciplinary matter a Garda can be charged with.

It's just a guess. Fraud for pretending to be an ex-Guard? I dunno.

Who polices the police I suppose. No one it seems.

Nothing will be done. Too costly and a waste of time and energy.

• Advertisement

So you completely agree, the senior Garda should be not be disciplined in any way? Pretend like it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001 could be used.

What about evidence that this particular officer cancelled points outside of his jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001 could be used.

What about evidence that this particular officer cancelled points outside of his jurisdiction?

Did he? Or was it just somebody logged in with his credentials that cancelled those points?

Possibly, it requires proving deception and "induces another to do or refrain from doing an act" though.

His jurisdiction is the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

And how has the Guard dishonestly made a gain for himself or a loss to another person?
    6.—(1) A person who dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another, by any deception induces another to do or refrain from doing an act is guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.

So you completely agree, the senior Garda should be not be disciplined in any way? Pretend like it never happened.
    Yeah that's nothing like I said at all.

But I'm not into kangaroo courts and dismissals made for publicity. Everyone is entitled to due process.

Find out what the charges are. Then have a think about how you would go about prosecuting them.

And you'll quickly to come to a realisation that all you will have is another black hole for money to pour into with less than satisfactory results at the end.

Rather than engaging in wild goose witch hunts, use the money to drive procedural changes and improve morale in the force, and you'll get a better police force. Spend the money attempting (and failing) to prosecute one or two Gardai, and you gain nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The consequence for this large scale breach of procedures and corrupt practices?

Absolutely nothing.

Yeah that's nothing like I said at all.

But I'm not into kangaroo courts and dismissals made for publicity. Everyone is entitled to due process.

Find out what the charges are. Then have a think about how you would go about prosecuting them.

And you'll quickly to come to a realisation that all you will have is another black hole for money to pour into with less than satisfactory results at the end.

Rather than engaging in wild goose witch hunts, use the money to drive procedural changes and improve morale in the force, and you'll get a better police force. Spend the money attempting (and failing) to prosecute one or two Gardai, and you gain nothing.

Why? Why would it fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why? Why would it fail?
    Because we don't do consequences for those in public office in ireland.

• Advertisement

Honestly mate. You are part of the problem.

I’d bet without much searching I’d find police officers fired for much less in many sane jurisdictions.

Advertisement