Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boy name

Options
  • 01-12-2017 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys
    We are expecting a baby on the 1st of January , we have the name picked if it is a girl but are unsure if it is a boy,
    What do people prefer of the four below
    FINN, JACOB,LEO ,HUGO ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Hey guys
    We are expecting a baby on the 1st of January , we have the name picked if it is a girl but are unsure if it is a boy,
    FINN, JACOB,LEO ,HUGO ?

I love the name Finn but probably because I pass by the river Finn in Donegal everyday.

Love them all to be honest but I could take or leave Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hey guys
    FINN, JACOB,LEO ,HUGO ?

I love the name Finn but probably because I pass by the river Finn in Donegal everyday.

Love them all to be honest but I could take or leave Leo.
    Its getting to the stage now where it'll be deciding when we see the baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I like them all. My only reservation would be that Hugo is a jokey stereotype of a super posh English boy (think Eton and straw boaters!)... so I’d be a bit worried he would be judged on his name if you know what I mean? But it is a lovely name.

We had a baby boy last January, and like you, really struggled with boy names (had a girl name picked). He was nameless when he was born, and then the name Liam just came from nowhere that night and that was it. I thought that, “you’ll know when you see them” was nonsense, but turned out to be true for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tommythecat

You don't want your baby named after the current Taoiseach!!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I love Finn, Jacob is ok, and I don't like the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

January Jacob? Cream Crackers? I wouldn't.
    Shortened to Jake, it's ok.
    Names ending in O are classy, in my opinion. (One of my sons has an --o name) - Hugo, Milo, Bruno, Leo....
    Enjoy the game, it is a a rare privilege to name another person.
    And best of luck with your new baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Craggo

Hey guys
    FINN, JACOB,LEO ,HUGO ?

Don’t call the poor child Leo! The last thing we want is another varadkar knocking about. Jacob sounds the best.

Seem Varadkar has ruined a nice name for People, he'll be out of sight and out of mind in a year or two ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Names ending in O are classy, in my opinion. (One of my sons has an --o name) - Hugo, Milo, Bruno, Leo....
    !

Yeah my buds Anto, Steo and Mullo are well classy

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

Finn - Love
    Jacob - Like
    Leo and Hugo - no thanks

You wanted honesty I presume :D

• Advertisement

Finn - Love
    Jacob - Like
    Leo and Hugo - no thanks

Yes of course:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Finn - Love
    Jacob - Like
    Leo and Hugo - no thanks

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Hey guys We are expecting a baby on the 1st of January , we have the name picked if it is a girl but are unsure if it is a boy, What do people prefer of the four below FINN, JACOB,LEO ,HUGO ?

Pretentious.........imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Day Lewin wrote:
    January Jacob? Cream Crackers? I wouldn't. Shortened to Jake, it's ok. Names ending in O are classy, in my opinion. (One of my sons has an --o name) - Hugo, Milo, Bruno, Leo.... Enjoy the game, it is a a rare privilege to name another person. And best of luck with your new baby!

Anto????

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yeah my buds Anto, Steo and Mullo are well classy

A fine old Dublin tradition, Patto.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Anto????

Ah, Rollo - and Khal Drogo. Even Frodo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I like Finn. We have Fionn on our list but are really struggling for boys names as well. We’re going to do the wait and see what he/she looks like before deciding anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Hugo was ours last time but we’d a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

When i hear Hugo I think of Bart's evil twin in the Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't like Leo. Nothing to do with Mr Varadkar.

Finn is the best of those IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hugh instead of Hugo, if unsure?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Leo is the only one I’d pick, the others are a bit too dublin for me... but then again, you are in Dublin, so why not pick name that is Fashionable there.

But really, there is nothing wrong with any of them. It’s very personal. Toss them into a hat if you cannot decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Due in Jan.
    Leo has always been my boy's name.
    Teaching has spoiled a lot of good names for me and even though i have the boldest little yoke in my class called Leo i still love it! Works very well with our surname IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

All 4 are awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I hate Finn actually. Leo is not bad. Hugo is a bit pretentious for my liking. Jacob is too biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I hate Finn actually. Leo is not bad. Hugo is a bit pretentious for my liking. Jacob is too biblical.

I love biblical names despite being a heathen :pac:
    I love Jacob as an official name and Jake for everyday use. I love Isaac too and Elijah, Zach and Eli for short.
    I'd pick Jacob. Not a fan of the others. Don't like Finn at all.

I realise you didn't ask for alternatives to your 4 suggestions but just putting them out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Whatever you choose make sure he won’t spend his life telling people how to spell or pronounce it. Also if he is to be know by a short version use that as his official name. I’m sick of signing my full name on documents as it has never been used as my name.

Its getting to the stage now where it'll be deciding when we see the baby :)

Yes you will. We had a shortlist of names but when I saw my daughter they seemed far too "girly" for the 9 pound, two foot long giant that I delivered :D Whatever you plan, you'll possibly change your mind completely when you see the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Jacob is nice. We considered Hugo ...but then I realised it sounds like U Go.... !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Finn would be my least favourite
    I like Hugo
    I love Leo (was on my list, as was Theo)
    I met a baby Jacob last week, think it's lovely

Advertisement