Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby boy name

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Practice chanting the name, just to be sure it works.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Practice chanting the name, just to be sure it works.

Yes, yell the full name including middle names and surname up the stairs to see how it works adding the words "if you don't get down here right this minute, we are going without you!" for maximum effect.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When ylrhe baby arrives you might decide on a different name. Baby’s have little personalities see what works when he or she arrives.

We called our youngest Hugo. I guess living in Killiney made us pretentious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Finn - Hipster
    Leo - Varadkar
    Jacob - Old Testament
    Hugo - English Public School idiot

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Delphinium wrote:
    Whatever you choose make sure he won’t spend his life telling people how to spell or pronounce it. Also if he is to be know by a short version use that as his official name. I’m sick of signing my full name on documents as it has never been used as my name.

Nonsense. You get that nearly everywhere while on your travels and it's actually quite a way to break the ice in scenarios / get into a conversation (don't have a difficult to pronounce name, rather a long name 10+ letters). I would be genuinely ticked off if my name was officially documented in short-form at birth, without my consent. It takes a while to write it vs.
    most names but in time I grew to love that.

I like Finn, possibly more common. Leo is a bit short for me (:D). Hugo or Hugh (depends on the parents gut feeling) and Jacob is quite nice / works well at all ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Finn - Hipster Leo - Varadkar Jacob - Old Testament Hugo - English Public School idiot

....or Hugo...a name quite common in Latin speaking countries with no association to English public schools

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

no.8 wrote: »
    Nonsense. You get that nearly everywhere while on your travels and it's actually quite a way to break the ice in scenarios / get into a conversation (don't have a difficult to pronounce name, rather a long name 10+ letters). I would be genuinely ticked off if my name was officially documented in short-form at birth, without my consent. It takes a while to write it vs.

I like Finn, possibly more common. Leo is a bit short for me (:D). Hugo or Hugh (depends on the parents gut feeling) and Jacob is quite nice / works well at all ages.

To me, Finn sounds shorter, as it's monosyllabic. Probably why I'm not all that drawn to it from the OPs list - I myself have a monosyllabic forename and surname and I've always thought it sounds very blunt. I always fancied something a bit longer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

no.8 wrote: »

I am telling you of my experience. My official name means nothing to me as it was never used since my birth. I love the shortened version as it's fairly unusual and differentiates me from cousins who were also named for a grandparent.
    Told priest who married me that I would say no if he used the official version during the ceremony but I did have to sign the register using the long version. Seems I am legally married but my husband often jokes that he has a get out of jail card!!
    I feel that it doesn't suit me and always like I am signing for another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your signature can be anything, it doesn’t have to be your full name. You seem to be hung up on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I like all of them. we have a Leo so slightly biased on that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I see these Facebook posts of this guy's dog named Hugo, and I always think, that's a great name for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I laugh at these posts; potential baby names are the only times a person's name is openly scoffed! My son is Hugo, my nephew is Leo, and I'm pretty certain that if I met any of you IRL and introduced them, you wouldn't dream of telling me that Hugo sounds like a pretentious twat! And, FWIW, my 8yr old nephew thinks it's cool that he is named after the Taoiseach, and no adult has to date slagged him about it! Both myself and my partner have slightly unusual names (in my case, there hasn't been one child called my name in about 5 yrs according to the CSO!) and I like that all three of us have names that not many others have.
    OP, call your son whatever you like, once he's named, people's opinions won't matter, and he'll become that name. I think all the names are nice.
    (but maybe not Hugo, I like that there's not many of them around ;))

Advertisement