Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

• 01-12-2017 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So here it is the draw has now been made

Group A
    Russia
    Saudi Arabia
    Egypt
    Uruguay

Group B
    Portugal
    Spain
    Morocco
    Iran

Group C
    France
    Australia
    Peru
    Denmark

Group D
    Argentina
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Nigeria

Group E
    Brazil
    Switzerland
    Costa Rica
    Serbia

Group F
    Germany
    Mexico
    Sweden
    South Korea

Group G
    Belgium
    Panama
    Tunisia
    England

Group H
    Poland
    Senegal
    Colombia
    Japan

Predictions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

About seven Groups of Life there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Group B has a few local derbies (Portugal, Spain, Morocco), should be an interesting group.

To progress, I'd go with...

Group A
    Uruguay
    Russia

Group B
    Spain
    Portugal

Group C
    France
    Denmark

Group D
    Argentina
    Croatia

Group E
    Brazil
    Serbia

Group F
    Germany
    Mexico

Group G
    Belgium
    England

Group H
    Poland
    Colombia

Really hard to see any of the African or Asian sides doing anything, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Group B has a few local derbies (Portugal, Spain, Morocco), should be an interesting group.

Carlos Queiroz is the manger of Iran too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Peru are better than Denmark imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Saudi's vs the Egyptians. That'll be a fun one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To progress, I'd go with...

Group A
    Uruguay
    Russia

Group B
    Spain
    Portugal

Group C
    France
    Denmark

Group D
    Argentina
    Croatia

Group E
    Brazil
    Serbia

Group F
    Germany
    Mexico

Group G
    Belgium
    England

Group H
    Poland
    Colombia

Really hard to see any of the African or Asian sides doing anything, tbh.

Reckon Senegal will get out of Group H. Have quite a few decent players, and so so much raw pace, which can make all the difference in these games.

Wouldn't totally rule Egypt out of Group A either... though they'll certainly have the refs against them as Russia will likely get every decision. But on a level playing field, i'd say Egypt are better than Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Tegan Whining Legume

Im calling it here, England wont make it out of the Group stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Three certain things in life: death, taxes and Argentina and Nigeria drawn in the same WC group

Cake Man wrote: »
    Three certain things in life: death, taxes and Argentina and Nigeria drawn in the same WC group

Iceland vs Croatia seems to be a re-accuring theme too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Group A
    Egypt
    Uruguay

Group B
    Spain
    Morocco

Group C
    France
    Peru

Group D
    Argentina
    Iceland

Group E
    Brazil
    Switzerland

Group F
    Germany
    Sweden

Group G
    Belgium
    England

Group H
    Senegal
    Colombia

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Reckon Senegal will get out of Group H. Have quite a few decent players, and so so much raw pace, which can make all the difference in these games.

Wouldn't totally rule Egypt out of Group A either... though they'll certainly have the refs against them as Russia will likely get every decision. But on a level playing field, i'd say Egypt are better than Russia.

I thought similar actually... Senegal and Colombia are a toss-up in their group, could go either way. Egypt will likely be the ones to lose out to some hometown decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I thought similar actually... Senegal and Colombia are a toss-up in their group, could go either way. Egypt will likely be the ones to lose out to some hometown decisions.

Tbh that Russia squad isin't great they probably wouldn't have qualified had they not been hosts. We saw back in 2010 with South Africa that hosts can can go out in the group stage.

The World Cup group stage is looking very like the UCL these days with strong European and South American sides like Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and France being like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich and PSG while sides like Saudi Arabia, Panama, Iran and Australia being like Qarabag, APOEL and Maribor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

None of those groups look very interesting. Spain and Portugal is probably the pick of the group games, and I can see that being a dour scoreless draw.

I don't think I've ever seen so many rubbishy teams at a world cup before. Poland are a top seed??? Brazil haven't had a decent team since the days of Ronaldo, Cafu, and Roberto Carlos. Argentina are poor, and lucky to be still in it. Spain's golden era is well over. Italy and Holland couldn't even quality. Germany are on the wane but still probably the best team in it. England are the usual mediocre England, but might just stand a chance because the overall standard is so poor this time.

I realise I sound just like Eamon Dunphy here, but it's a miserable looking tournament on paper.

I thought similar actually... Senegal and Colombia are a toss-up in their group, could go either way.

What? One is ranked 11 and the other is 51.

African sides usually shocking and nearly all SA representitives have been making knockout stages last few tournaments.

One is almost even money to win the group the other 5/1.

On a player to player comparison Senegal come up very short.

It's miles from a toss up.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    What? One is ranked 11 and the other is 51.

African sides usually shocking and nearly all SA representitives have been making knockout stages last few tournaments.

One is almost even money to win the group the other 5/1.

On a player to player comparison Senegal come up very short.

It's miles from a toss up.

Colombia have often looked good in qualifying only to flatter to deceive at finals. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they went home early. Equally, wouldn't be surprised if they made the quarters. It will be a key game for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I reckon there are five serious contenders:

Germany

France

Spain

Brazil

Argentina

Realistically, Germany are best equipped to win it. They are disciplined and so consistent.

Two outsiders might be Belgium and England, but there is an element of hype with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Iceland got no breaks in that draw. Group D looks a tough group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Russia vs Saudi Arabia is the first game apparently. Getting the hosts off to easy a start as physically possible & viewers off with the least interesting game of the tournament

Colombia have often looked good in qualifying only to flatter to deceive at finals. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they went home early. Equally, wouldn't be surprised if they made the quarters. It will be a key game for sure.

They breezed their group with 3/3 wins in 2014. South America is extremely strong right now imo, the standard of football in those qualifiers was superior to any other confederation. Falcao has been one of the most consistent goalscorers last decade, James is playing regularly again in a Bayern team with ridiculous depth of quality and having a fine season, Cuadrado is electric on the flanks. Davidson Sanchez is a beast. They're a very talented bunch.

Poland would be a fair bit ahead of Senegal for me too considering how strong they were in qualifying.

African sides never impress me tactically, the African Cup of nations can be fun to watch but they're behind the more advanced confederations in a lot of ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I reckon there are five serious contenders:

Germany

France

Spain

Brazil

Argentina

Realistically, Germany are best equipped to win it. They are disciplined and so consistent.

Two outsiders might be Belgium and England, but there is an element of hype with them.

I reckon you right. Wide open as well though, no Italy or Holland.
    It might turn out to be a bit lacklustre.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Group A
    Egypt
    Uruguay

Group B
    Spain
    Morocco

Group C
    France
    Denmark

Group D
    Argentina
    Iceland

Group E
    Brazil
    Switzerland

Group F
    Germany
    Sweden (if Ibra plays)

Group G
    Belgium
    England

Group H
    Poland
    Colombia

Egypt and Morocco to be the surprise packages for me.

France to win it out. England are poor and won't do anything.

Group A
    1.Uruguay
    2.Egypt
    3.Russia
    4.Saudi Arabia

Group B
    1.Spain
    2.Portugal
    3.Iran
    4.Morocco

Group C
    1.France
    2.Denamrk
    3.Peru
    4.Australia

Group D
    1.Argentina
    2.Croatia
    3.Nigeria
    4.Iceland

Group E
    1.Brazil
    2.Serbia
    3.Switzerland
    4.Costa Rica

Group F
    1.Germany
    2.Mexico
    3.Sweden
    4.South Korea

Group G
    1.Belgium
    2.England
    3.Panama
    4.Tunisia

Group H
    1.Colombia
    2.Poland
    3.Japan
    4.Senegal

Round of 16
    Uruguay v Portugal
    Spain v Egypt
    France v Croatia
    Argentina v Denmark
    Brazil v Mexico
    Germany v Serbia
    Belgium v Poland
    Colombia v England

Quarter Finals
    Portugal v France
    Argentina v Spain
    Brazil v Belgium
    Germany v England

Semi Finals
    France v Spain
    Brazil v Germany

Final
    Spain v Germany

Third Place Playoff
    France v Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They made hard work of qualifying this time around.

I personally think now the Euro's is a 24 team tournament its a better tournament now than the World Cup. There seems to be a lot of thrash from CAF, AFC and CONCACAF with the European and South American sides breezing through the group stages this World Cup draw almosts proves that.

The Euros on the other hand has a considerable amount of competitive sides. Sides like ourselves, The North and Wales proved that at the last Euros. All the sides I have mentioned would probably beat some of the qualified sides such as Panama, Tunisia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Iran, South Korea and Australia.

Also with the World Cup being raised to 48 teams and the Fifa coruption with the World Cup being held in Qatar in winter 2022 this will probably get worse.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I personally think now the Euro's is a 24 team tournament its a better tournament now than the World Cup. There seems to be a lot of thrash from CAF, AFC and CONCACAF with the European and South American sides breezing through the group stages this World Cup draw almosts proves that.

The Euros on the other hand has a considerable amount of competitive sides. Sides like ourselves, The North and Wales proved that at the last Euros. All the sides I have mentioned would probably beat some of the qualified sides such as Panama, Tunisia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Iran, South Korea and Australia.

Also with the World Cup being raised to 48 teams and the Fifa coruption with the World Cup being held in Qatar in winter 2022 this will probably get worse.
    Agree with you 100%. The World Cup has far more poor sides in it than the Euros do. I do think Morocco are a decent side that could spring a surprise or two and I think Egypt have a punch about them but other than that I can't see anything other than Europe and two or three South American teams being contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the Euros are watered down at 24 teams.

It was by far and away the best tournament at 16 teams, no filler like ROI, NI or Albania.

Four groups of 4, top 2 qualify, none of this 16 getting through out of 24.

Rubbish about CONCACAF, they've performed very well last few world cups. If anything they should have an extra space or two, not Europe.

Last World Cup, Costa Rica topped their group and two Euro sides England and Italy failed to qualify. They made it to the quarters and only lost on pens.

Mexico finished joined top with Brazil in their group and Croatia were knocked out.

US of A finished second in their group ahead of Portugal.

In 2010 Mexico qualified at expense of France

USA topped their group ahead of England and Slovenia were knocked out.

So pretty consistent outperforming of Euro sides in their groups of late. Just because you're not familiar with sides doesn't make them "trash". South America and North American confederations have had the highest proportion of qualified teams to knockouts last two world cups.

Rubbish about CONCACAF, they've performed very well last few world cups. If anything they should have an extra space or two, not Europe.

Last World Cup, Costa Rica topped their group and two Euro sides England and Italy failed to qualify. They made it to the quarters and only lost on pens.

Mexico finished joined top with Brazil in their group and Croatia were knocked out.

So pretty consistent outperforming of Euro sides in their groups of late. Just because you're not familiar with sides doesn't make them "trash". South America and North American confederations have had the highest proportion of qualified teams to knockouts last two world cups.

You make a good point but I can't see any North or Central American team winning the tournament and they still haven't gone deep into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

FCIM wrote: »
    You make a good point but I can't see any North or Central American team winning the tournament and they still haven't gone deep into one.

That is true but they are better teams than a lot of the European teams who qualify and better than the European teams who would qualify if there were extra places.

Mexico are the only good CONCACAF side. USA proved by not qualifying for the WC that they are not a good side.

As for Costa Rica getting to the quarter finals of the last World Cup that was more of a freek success similar to Leicester winning the league. They got a lucky win against one of the weakest Italy sides to ever play at a World Cup. Beat Uruguay hardly the greatest Uruguay side either, drew with England, struggled past Greece on pens and held The Netherlands to a draw before losing on penos so hardly a hugely talented side. Perhaps to Ireland at Italia 90 or USA 94.

The France team at The 2010 World Cup was a squad in crisis so it's only logical that Mexico would finish ahead of them.

We all know England are bottlers and Slovenia are a weak side.

That's a whole lot of excuses you've made for under performing European sides and seems to contradict your original point about Euro zone being so strong that more teams from that confederation should be there. They may have more familiar faces to you and indeed play at better clubs but it's not always a formulae to success and sometimes the more hungry and passionate nations outperform them like in recent world cups.

That's a whole lot of excuses you've made for under performing European sides and seems to contradict your original point about Euro zone being so strong that more teams from that confederation should be there. They may have more familiar faces to you and indeed play at better clubs but it's not always a formulae to success and sometimes the more hungry and passionate nations outperform them like in recent world cups.

Ok put some of the these teams in a European or South American qualifying group and see how far they would get. I'm still waiting for a non European or South American side to make it further than the Quarter Finals of a WC.

Ok put some of the these teams in a European or South American qualifying group and see how far they would get. I'm still waiting for a non European or South American side to make it further than the Quarter Finals of a WC.

South Korea did in 02, OK with the aid of a few dodgy refs but was a strong side all the same. Ghana and Costa Rica both missed out on semies in last two world cups on lottery of penalties.

Nobodies doubting that the very best teams are in South America and Europe, but it's the same few countries always winning, but this conversation is about depth of confederations and Europe hasn't been as strong as you might think to justify extra spots ahead of South America or Central America.

And asides from that I actually enjoy seeing the varying styles from different continents compete against each other. A world Cup should be as diverse as possible.

South Korea did in 02, OK with the aid of a few dodgy refs but was a strong side all the same. Ghana and Costa Rica both missed out on semies in last two world cups on lottery of penalties.

Nobodies doubting that the very best teams are in South America and Europe, but it's the same few countries always winning, but this conversation is about depth of confederations and Europe hasn't been as strong as you might think to justify extra spots ahead of South America or Central America.

And asides from that I actually enjoy seeing the varying styles from different continents compete against each other. A world Cup should be as diverse as possible.

That I understand a diverse World Cup is good. What I'm basically saying is I think the Euro's are now a more exciting competition than the World Cup as the teams in it are stronger than some of the WC teams with there being more balance.

I remember a couple of years ago before the 2010 World we played against Algeria who had qualified and we obivously didn't and beating them 3-0 at the RDS, we also beat another qualified team Paraguay 2-1 who actually went on to do quite well in that WC making the Quarter Finals.

I do think that WC is gonna go downhill a lot in the next couple of years with the 48 team format and before that the riddiculous Qatar Winter Cup I don't its even worthy of being called a World Cup. Tbh its not just weaker nations making the WC worse its even more so Fifa coruption.

Euro 2020 sounds like its going to be a great tournament and its a great idea playing the matches all across Europe IMO.

• Advertisement

That I understand a diverse World Cup is good. What I'm basically saying is I think the Euro's are now a more exciting competition than the World Cup as the teams in it are stronger than some of the WC teams with there being more balance.

I remember a couple of years ago before the 2010 World we played against Algeria who had qualified and we obivously didn't and beating them 3-0 at the RDS, we also beat another qualified team Paraguay 2-1 who actually went on to do quite well in that WC making the Quarter Finals.

I do think that WC is gonna go downhill a lot in the next couple of years with the 48 team format and before that the riddiculous Qatar Winter Cup I don't its even worthy of being called a World Cup. Tbh its not just weaker nations making the WC worse its even more so Fifa coruption.

Euro 2020 sounds like its going to be a great tournament and its a great idea playing the matches all across Europe IMO.

I don't agree the Euros is stronger at all, and the recent expansion took from the quality and entertainment imo, it was a poor enough standard tournament all in all. I'd be against the expansion of the world Cup too fwiw.

Also bizarre how you think our home friendly results against those sides point to anything, not least us being better them, that's quite the stretch. Friendlies are by and large meaningless affairs.

I'm really not sure what you're basing this perceived European strength and depth on, only 6 of our 13 representatives made it out of their groups last world Cup. So the majority of those who went weren't good enough up against your supposed weaker nations, how do you think our lesser Euro countries would do??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Those who were watching the opening match of Italia 90 will remember this tackle by Benjamin Massing. He died today aged 55 -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There'll be a few Quilmes raised to him tonight I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Those who were watching the opening match of Italia 90 will remember this tackle by Benjamin Massing. He died today aged 55 -

Remember it well.

It kind of set the tone for what was a very negative, low scoring World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then confirmation that Jose Mourinho is evil!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/06/jose-mourinho-joins-rt-as-world-cup-pundit
    José Mourinho is going to Russia for the World Cup to provide analysis for RT, a Kremlin-funded news channel branded a “foreign agent” in the United States.

RT television announced the signing on Monday without disclosing the payment Mourinho will receive for appearing on a broadcaster that pushes Russia’s take on news to a foreign audience.

The international channel does not have the television rights to show World Cup matches but says it will provide “live text commentary” and reports.

The Manchester United boss appeared in a jaunty video accompanying the announcement in which he pretends to coach an RT crew about how to cover the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There's no doubt the best teams don't make the world cup. Ireland are ranked 31st in the world so that itself suggests we are good enough to be in the world cup.

There are many teams ranked a lot lower then us qualifying because its much easier to in their qualifying region. At least the increase to 48 teams will make it easier for deserving nations from Europe to actually qualify.

And the euro expansion was fine. You still had decent sides like Scotland and Holland not qualifying despite the increase in team numbers. That was needed it and its not like the matches would have been better with less teams. If anything they'd have been even tighter affairs with less goals and more draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    There's no doubt the best teams don't make the world cup. Ireland are ranked 31st in the world so that itself suggests we are good enough to be in the world cup.

There are many teams ranked a lot lower then us qualifying because its much easier to in their qualifying region. At least the increase to 48 teams will make it easier for deserving nations from Europe to actually qualify.

And the euro expansion was fine. You still had decent sides like Scotland and Holland not qualifying despite the increase in team numbers. That was needed it and its not like the matches would have been better with less teams. If anything they'd have been even tighter affairs with less goals and more draws.

Europe would be getting 3 more spots at a 48 team World Cup so Ireland will still be outsiders to qualify at the min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Brazil have named their 23-man squad:
    Goalkeepers

Alisson
    Cassio
    Ederson

Defenders

Thiago Silva
    Miranda
    Marquinhos
    Geromel

Fagner
    Danilo
    Marcelo
    Filipe Luis

Midfielders

Casemiro
    Fred
    Paulinho
    Renato Augusto
    Fernandinho
    Willian
    Coutinho

Forwards

Neymar
    Gabriel Jesus
    Roberto Firmino
    Douglas Costa
    Taison

Dani Alves misses out due to injury. Biggest surprise amongst the Brazil fans seems to be Taison getting the nod over Sociedad's Willian Jose.

Plenty of big names not taken: Alex Sandro, David Luiz, Fabinho, Allan, Naldo, Luiz Gustavo, Malcom, probably a load more. Goes to show the talent pool they have.

What do we think of the squad taken? Do you feel you're looking at the 2018 World Cup winners? I think it has enough to be right in the mix. I expect Spain, France and Germany will have more depth but if you've around 15 or so top players you've enough to win, and they have that.

Their group E contains Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia. Win that and they will likely play Group F runner-up Mexico, Sweden or South Korea in the next round (assuming Germany win Group F). Doesn't look the most taxing pathway to a quarter-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Anyone got a nice online chart for calculating group winners and knockout phases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shane St. wrote: »
    Anyone got a nice online chart for calculating group winners and knockout phases.

This one on the FIFA website is pretty fun. I wound up with Germany beating Belgium in the final, just have a feeling it's going to click for the Belgians but the Germans are going to get the job done.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/take-the-fifa-world-cup-bracket-challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Brazil have named their 23-man squad:

Dani Alves misses out due to injury. Biggest surprise amongst the Brazil fans seems to be Taison getting the nod over Sociedad's Willian Jose.

Plenty of big names not taken: Alex Sandro, David Luiz, Fabinho, Allan, Naldo, Luiz Gustavo, Malcom, probably a load more. Goes to show the talent pool they have.

What do we think of the squad taken? Do you feel you're looking at the 2018 World Cup winners? I think it has enough to be right in the mix. I expect Spain, France and Germany will have more depth but if you've around 15 or so top players you've enough to win, and they have that.

Their group E contains Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia. Win that and they will likely play Group F runner-up Mexico, Sweden or South Korea in the next round (assuming Germany win Group F). Doesn't look the most taxing pathway to a quarter-final.

Definetly have a great chance. Some exciting players in the squad aswell. Makes a mockery of what a lot of posters on here were claiming after the last WC that Brazilian football was finished and they couldn't produce technical players anymore. The sheer size and population of Brazil and the country's love of football will always ensure they are at the top table. The last WC they were just at an unfortunate cycle of not having many attacking players and a negative manager in charge. The only fear would be will neymar actually be fully fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

This years Ramadan begins this evening Tuesday, 15 May and ends the evening of the first World Cup match on Thursday, 14 June (Russia v Saudi Arabia)

One would wonder what sort of effect observance might have on the training camps of the 4 primarily Muslim nations scheduled to play on the opening two days :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Definetly have a great chance. Some exciting players in the squad aswell. Makes a mockery of what a lot of posters on here were claiming after the last WC that Brazilian football was finished and they couldn't produce technical players anymore. The sheer size and population of Brazil and the country's love of football will always ensure they are at the top table. The last WC they were just at an unfortunate cycle of not having many attacking players and a negative manager in charge. The only fear would be will neymar actually be fully fit.

They certainly were in a bit of a lull in attacking talent last time round but they're in much better shape this year.

The consensus seems to be that they'll go with Jesus up top at the expense of Firmino, but with the versatility, quality and work rate that he has, that seems like madness to me.

I remember Brazil largely pissing about at some World Cups trying to cram in loads of talented individuals but no cohesion up front and largely playing off the cuff. Some times it was great, but others it was desperate ****e.

This group seem a lot fitter, more tactically astute and better team players. I think this is a situation where they can get their 4 best attackers on the pitch and make it work - Coutinho, Neymar, Firmino and Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gbear wrote: »

They certainly were in a bit of a lull in attacking talent last time round but they're in much better shape this year.

The consensus seems to be that they'll go with Jesus up top at the expense of Firmino, but with the versatility, quality and work rate that he has, that seems like madness to me.

I remember Brazil largely pissing about at some World Cups trying to cram in loads of talented individuals but no cohesion up front and largely playing off the cuff. Some times it was great, but others it was desperate ****e.

This group seem a lot fitter, more tactically astute and better team players. I think this is a situation where they can get their 4 best attackers on the pitch and make it work - Coutinho, Neymar, Firmino and Jesus.
    I think Brazil should go flat back four then in front the below, There wing back get on so two holders , who can also play
       Ferinandinho  Casemiro
    Willian    Cou       Neymar
                 Firmino

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

This years Ramadan begins this evening Tuesday, 15 May and ends the evening of the first World Cup match on Thursday, 14 June (Russia v Saudi Arabia)

One would wonder what sort of effect observance might have on the training camps of the 4 primarily Muslim nations scheduled to play on the opening two days :confused:

Here's an article explains it for most, if not all, that will be participating in it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/e25557ac-e76b-435f-9bfa-b069230fc68b

• Advertisement
Advertisement