Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Imagine thinking of dropping Raheem Sterling for Marcus Rashford good God.

:D brilliant.

I was 90% sure what I was gunna read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

COME ON CROATIA!!!!

Fixed that for ya:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Recall 1998 when that excellent Croatia team went all the way to the semi finals. Hopefully they'll go a step further at least this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

May the best team win regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I was in work while the game was on so only got had half an eye on it at times but I remember a number of occasions where he carried the ball towards the Swedish box with directness and pace through the middle of the pitch.

That's the sort of action in the first half which opened up the pitch and resulted in a few good chances, a Kane shot just wide of the left post springs to mind.

Look, he does miss a lot of chances that others may or may not score but the fact he continues to create and get in those positions is vital in keeping the opposition thinking about him. All he has to do is score 1 goal at the right time or continue to make space for others.

Anyway, I think on the whole England are much stronger in the team than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cake Man wrote: »
    Unlikely as if England are in red, Croatia would have to be in black/grey which isn’t permitted (two dark colours). Most likely England in white and Croatia in black/grey.

This light/dark thing has been said all tournament and I don't think it's true. Even just yesterday, Russia played in red against Croatia in black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Croatia will be the designated home team. So it'll be their preference on which kit they want themselves and their opponents to use should their checkered shirts be completely unworkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Turtwig wrote: »
    Croatia will be the designated home team. So it'll be their preference on which kit they want themselves and their opponents to use should their checkered shirts be completely unworkable.

Croatia are in Black and Navy, same kit they wore last night.

England are in all white.

Was the only thing that would work, both of England’s kits would have clashed with Croatia’s home one.

I’d imagine England (as designated away team) will wear their normal first choice kit in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

This light/dark thing has been said all tournament and I don't think it's true. Even just yesterday, Russia played in red against Croatia in black

I seen it was colours that can be problems for people with colour blindness. So I guess things like Brazil yellow v white shirts wouldn't work.

I'm not sure what are the main colours that cause problems to colour blind people but it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I said earlier in the tournament how much Lingard does for that England team. He is just such a hard worker on the field and a lot if it seems to go unnoticed.
    Trippier has been their best player imo but Lingard isn't far behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Funniest thing Ive seen during the World Cup was at Hyde park on Saturday after the england match.
    Interpol were finishing their set and wanted to suck up to the crowd. How to do it? Compliment them on the soccer result.
    Unfortunately for him most of the crowd in the pit consisted of Germans (out), spaniards (out), Mexican (out), Irish (never in), French (hate the English) etc.

Lead singer- well done England!
    Crowd - boooooo!!!
    Lead singer - okay*

*perplexed look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

eagle eye wrote: »
    I said earlier in the tournament how much Lingard does for that England team. He is just such a hard worker on the field and a lot if it seems to go unnoticed.
    Trippier has been their best player imo but Lingard isn't far behind him.

If lingard can improve his finishing he would be such a great player.

His movement off the ball is world class unfortunately his finishing is far from world class

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's gas how confident the French are (at least in my work). Think they'll beat Belgium quite easily.

Was chatting away to a few and said it will be very tough, they shrugged and said they should win it. I mentioned how I don't think it will be that easy, and how the Belgian's have some really good players, too which they replied "We have better players". Madness really haha!

I hope the French win, but I do know if they lose the fans will do a 180 and say about how bad their team is.

Sidenote: I posted here earlier how I reckoned England and Belgium would face each other again in this tournament, raging I didn't have money on that now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I hope the French win, but I do know if they lose the fans will do a 180 and say about how bad their team is.

I'd say it'll be ore the manager who'll take the fall in that case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In case anyone is missing it. I know a lot enjoy it :D

I'd say it'll be ore the manager who'll take the fall in that case...

Yeah no doubt Deschamps will get a lot of criticism, but I reckon players like Pogba who they have been praising as proving doubters wrong will find themselves in the firing line again.

Suppose that's normal in football but it will be interesting to see what will happen.

The Belgians have been critical of Martinez, and a few of their players too before the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

pjohnson wrote: »

In case anyone is missing it. I know a lot enjoy it :D

Hope this is sarcasm, bloody useless band with red trousers, comedy glasses and other people's songs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The light dark is a thing coming from FIFA, Russia's two colours red and white would have clashed with Croatia's checked top so that is all they could do. Same as Croatia and England Croatia will have to wear there away top and England white and red kits will clash with Croatia's home top.

From FIFA
    5 Colours
    Playing Equipment items worn by outfield players, goalkeepers and Match Officials shall enable all Players, Match Officials, spectators and media to clearly distinguish the opposing teams and outfield players and goalkeepers irrespective of the prevailing conditions, such as weather and light.

Save as explicitly stated otherwise under these Regulations, no Playing Equipment item worn by an outfield player or goalkeeper may consist of more than four Colours. Colours used in identifications of Member Associations, Manufacturer’s Identifications and/or other marks or insignia shall not be deemed a Colour of the Playing Equipment.

With the sole exception of vertically, horizontally or similarly striped and chequered shirts using two Colours equally in a non-predominant manner, in the event that three or four Colours are used on the surface of a Playing Equipment item, based on the visual impression created by such Playing Equipment item when used by the Players, one of the Colours used must be clearly predominant and the remaining Colours on the same Playing Equipment item must be clearly minor. The predominant Colour must be visible to the same extent on the back and front of the Playing Equipment item. In the event of vertically, horizontally or similarly striped or chequered shirts using two Colours equally in a non-predominant manner, the third or fourth Colour on the surface of the shirt shall be used in a manner not affecting the predominant visual impression of the two Colours used as stripes and chequers and one of these two Colours must be predominant on shorts or socks. Vertically, horizontally or similarly striped or chequered shirts must not use more than two Colours equally in a non-predominant manner.

Notwithstanding art. 5 par. 2 above, a fifth Colour may be used for numbering and naming purposes (e.g. Player’s name, numbers). The Colours used for numbering and naming purposes shall be the same for all outfield players of the same team. Based on the principle of light and dark contrast of Colours used for numbering and naming purposes and irrespective of the prevailing conditions, such as weather and light, the Colour used for numbering and naming purposes must be clearly legible and distinguishable from a distance for all Players, Match Officials, spectators and media from the Colours used for the respective Playing Equipment item.

The Colours of the Playing Equipment worn by a goalkeeper must be clearly distinguishable from the Colours of the Playing Equipment worn by the outfield players of his own team, the outfi eld players of the opposing team, the goalkeeper of the opposing team and the Match Officials. The Playing Equipment of all goalkeepers of the same team must be identical. To ensure that the Playing Equipment worn by a goalkeeper is clearly distinguishable in any case, the Member Associations may provide additional Reserve Equipment for the goalkeepers in varying Colours or Colour combinations.

The Colours or Colour combinations of Official Equipment and Reserve Equipment used by a Member Association must be clearly distinguishable
    based on the principle of light and dark contrast of used Colours irrespective of the prevailing conditions, such as weather and light. Member Associations may provide additional Reserve Equipment to offer an additional Colour or Colour combination in order to improve a clear distinction and differing visibility from the Official Equipment. In the event that, in FIFA’s, the Match Officials’ or the Match Commissioner’s reasonable discretion, no clear distinction and differing visibility can be achieved between the Official Equipment, the Reserve Equipment or any additional Reserve Equipment of one Member Association and the opposing team, in exceptional cases FIFA, the Match Officials or the Match Commissioner are entitled to request on a Match-by-Match basis one Member Association to combine Playing Equipment items of the Official Equipment with Playing Equipment items of the Reserve Equipment or additional Reserve Equipment.

The Colour of any tape or similar material temporarily applied to a Playing Equipment item must be of the same group of a basic Colour as the predominant Colour of the same Playing Equipment item.

Except as otherwise provided for pursuant to art. 36 par. 2 below in relation to football boots, the Colour of any Equipment item covering the ankle of a Player, such as a support bandage, additional sock or similar item, shall be of the same group of a basic Colour as the predominant Colour of the socks.

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/51/54/30/equipmentregulations-inhalt-e_neutral.pdf

Remember Denmark V Australia both teams wore there away kits as revealed by Danish player Thomas Delaney who is colourblind and could not accurately pick up the difference in light shades from a distance. So if a player struggles on field what would it be like for those watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vrsaljko is out for Croatia.

Yet another break falls in favour of England this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Vinny Jones reckons Raheem Sterling would be an Exeter player if he had no pace. Managing to insult both the player and a club, a man who was capped 9 times by Wales during a period they were truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Vinny Jones reckons Raheem Sterling would be an Exeter player if he had no pace. Managing to insult both the player and a club, a man who was capped 9 times by Wales during a period they were truly awful.

If Sterling could finish he would be having an excellent tournament, really don't understand all the criticism he is getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I like Sterling. I thought he had been having a poor tournament but it might be because of the missed chances. He came in for some criticism in the Sweden game (I didn't see a lot of it) but his performance seems to have been pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Sterling could finish he would be having an excellent tournament, really don't understand all the criticism he is getting.

Because he cannot finish or kick a ball correctly.

But outside of that he has been England's best attacking player. His general play has been very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

MD1990 wrote: »

But outside of that he has been England's best attacking player. His general play has been very good.

BBC and the Guardian player rater both had him as Englands worse player against Sweden, bizarre - especially since Dier "played" and a few players did nothing of note.

MD1990 wrote: »

That fact that he scored 23 and had 12 assists I think last season too, shows that he can finish and kick a ball correctly.

But for whatever reasons it doesn't happen when he puts on the England shirt. I know people will argue it's easier with City but he really has an awful record when it comes to scoring for England. 2 goals in 42 games. But after his impressive club runs people always think that will change somehow.

5 of his 6 years as an England International have seen him go goalless too. He hasn't scored for them in nearly 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That fact that he scored 23 and had 12 assists I think last season too, shows that he can finish and kick a ball correctly

He cant though. He is a really really good player but his technique in striking a ball is awful, and has been since he was at Liverpool. It is his intelligence and positioning that scores him so many goals. The quality of chances he gets due to this are so much better at City than England, hence the gap

Almost like when he was younger he was so good he just went around the keeper every time so never had to develop it.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He cant though. He is a really really good player but his technique in striking a ball is awful, and has been since he was at Liverpool. It is his intelligence and positioning that scores him so many goals. The quality of chances he gets due to this are so much better at City than England, hence the gap

Almost like when he was younger he was so good he just went around the keeper every time so never had to develop it.

I agree his positioning makes it easy for him. A lot of his goals are tap-ins. But he's an international attacking player. I don't agree that he can't finish or kick a ball correctly. Showed it before.

And yeah, I agree he has more chances to score with the likes of City and even his time with Pool, but due to this people always expect him to for England despite his goal-scoring record being awful for England. John Stones has the same amount of goals in this WC that Sterling has scored in his 6 years or so with England.

My point is we know what Sterling brings to the England team, like you mentioned his pace and agility on attack, but for some reason people forget about this and his poor scoring record and believe that maybe this will be it for him in an England shirt. I'd like to see him score but the expectations people have regarding his scoring with England aren't realistic I don't think, it just doesn't happen for him with them.

I will add he is getting himself into a lot more scoring opportunities for England though. Eventually he will have to end the drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

England are so open in the middle but have yet to meet a team capable of punishing them. I think Croatia have the players to dominate the middle but not the pace on the counter to truly capitalise. Southgates use of walker in the back 3 has also helped in that regard. When you watch england they have the back 3 Henderson and then often 5 players very advanced. They are still struggling to create chances from open play with this set up. Croatia england is very close to call. But if they get to the final I think Belgium or France will have way too much for them as they have the players that can control the middle and then the pace on the counter to punish how England set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

My point is we know what Sterling brings to the England team, like you mentioned his pace and agility on attack, but for some reason people forget about this and his poor scoring record and believe that maybe this will be it for him in an England shirt. I'd like to see him score but the expectations people have regarding his scoring with England aren't realistic I don't think, it just doesn't happen for him with them.

I will add he is getting himself into a lot more scoring opportunities for England though. Eventually he will have to end the drought.

Ah yeah no doubt he is a great player for them and vital to the way they play

He still cannot kick a ball though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gimli2112 wrote: »

I've 0 caps for a terrible Ireland team so I'm not allowed have an opinion in raheem sterling neither?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

DhvkEYyW4AIVPM_.jpg

Obviously means f*ck all in reality but pretty uncanny similarities all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That fact that he scored 23 and had 12 assists I think last season too, shows that he can finish and kick a ball correctly.

But for whatever reasons it doesn't happen when he puts on the England shirt. I know people will argue it's easier with City but he really has an awful record when it comes to scoring for England. 2 goals in 42 games. But after his impressive club runs people always think that will change somehow.

5 of his 6 years as an England International have seen him go goalless too. He hasn't scored for them in nearly 3 years.

Most of them were one touch finishes.

Not really any clean or powerful strikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

DhvkEYyW4AIVPM_.jpg

Obviously means f*ck all in reality but pretty uncanny similarities all the same

Ah thats grand they'll lose in the final just like the Liverpool one with the prince getting married, Utd losing the FA Cup final etc etc

DhvkEYyW4AIVPM_.jpg

Man City didn't win the League in 66 ......it was the 67/68 seaon they won ...

sorry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Hitchens wrote: »
    Man City didn't win the League in 66 ......it was the 67/68 seaon they won ...

They won the old second division that season. - "win a league title"

rXkuZ9m.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If only hazard could see lukaku on the pitch

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Black and wearing a Blue jersey = Pogba.

George Hamilton.

• Advertisement

Fellani = Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's not having a good night is Hamilton.

Either is Chadli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Belgium a joy to watch

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's not having a good night is Hamilton.

Either is Chadli

George Hamiltons Belgium.

Chadli

Chadli Chadli Chadli Chadi

Chadli Chadli Chadli Chadli

Chadli AZZARRRRD

If France score first it could be interesting, it Belgium score first I wouldn't see France being able to get back into it though

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hazard is a joy

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hazard is a joy

At times, he must make one hell of a frustrating teammate though

The state of giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hazard is a joy

Left Pogba for dead there despite 2 attempts to tug him back. Pity it overran on him.

eigrod wrote: »
    Left Pogba for dead there despite 2 attempts to tug him back. Pity it overran on him.

Full back trued to take him out too and just bounced off him :) low centre of gravity and all that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement