Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    What's the obsession with Ronaldo? I don't get it

It's the hypocrisy of measuring players under a different criteria. Not that hard to get really. Why is more expected from Kane over 90 minutes other than stat padding? Kane got 6 goals in 6 games, a ratio of a goal per game. The lad should be getting player of the tournament aswell as the golden boot, no? He "done it" for his country, "led" this weak team to a world cup semi-final! The "stat's" are there

One is 24, trophyless, the other, with a career of unprecedented success behind him is still a force almost a decade older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just another one who jumped on the Dunphy & co "one trick pony clown" band wagon way, way back when, who hasn't been able to let it go and for whom the last five years in particular have caused a case of severe bitterness as a result.

I think most stopped paying attention after the "he never scores in important games" fiasco a year or two back to be honest. We're talking about the winner of 4 of the last 5 Ballon D'Ors, the talisman of a team that won 4 of the last 5 CL's (which has to be the greatest achievement in the history of that tournament - with all due respect to Puskas and Di Stefano, their 5/5 was in it's absolute infancy), and who is now the highest goalscorer in the history of international football (barring Ali Daei who was mainly playing against amateurs for Iran in the 1990s) despite playing much of his earlier years for Portugal playing out wide.

You'd think people could just sit back, relax and enjoy the fact that we're watching two of the absolute best of the best players in the entire history of the game and that many of us will be lucky to see even one more player in our lifetimes who can match either of them again over such a long period of time (never mind two at the same time)... but clearly not. Some people made their minds up in 2005 and will not change it no matter what... the funny thing is we all know back then that people like TGM were complaining about 'no end product' while now they're complaining about him being 'all end product'. That says a lot more about them than it does about Ronaldo.

I get a bit of a kick out of their posts at this stage, such is how blatant it is that Ronaldo's successes clearly sting and hurt. :p

It's the hypocrisy of measuring players under a different criteria. Not that hard to get really. Why is more expected from Kane over 90 minutes other than stat padding? Kane got 6 goals in 6 games, a ratio of a goal per game. The lad should be getting player of the tournament aswell as the golden boot, no? He "done it" for his country, "led" this weak team to a world cup semi-final! The "stat's" are there

Kane, by his standards performed average. A hattrick of 2 penalties and a deflection against one of the most turd teams to ever play in a WC, a penalty against Columbia and after that he was tired, sluggish and missing chances he would normally put away (hence the playing under par point)

He won the game for them against Tunisia doing what he normally does which is the standard people measure him by but after that, he stepped down a level.

Using this as ANOTHER means to have a dig at Ronaldo is warped

This is what you said
    Why are people complaining about Harry Kane having a poor World Cup and then praise Ronaldo as one of the best in the world? Kanes a striker who padded his stats in this world cup and was lethargic in open play, ye? Ronaldo has made a career of if

:confused:

How are these two pieces of information even correlated?

Kane imo, had a disappointing WC by his standards. Yes, he bagged goals but could have done a lot better. He'd probably say it himself.

Ronaldo is on of the best in the world. That's not up for argument.

Bizzare post tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just another one who jumped on the Dunphy & co "one trick pony clown" band wagon way, way back when, who hasn't been able to let it go and for whom the last five years in particular have caused a case of severe bitterness as a result.

I think most stopped paying attention after the "he never scores in important games" fiasco a year or two back to be honest. We're talking about the winner of 4 of the last 5 Ballon D'Ors, the talisman of a team that won 4 of the last 5 CL's (which has to be the greatest achievement in the history of that tournament - with all due respect to Puskas and Di Stefano, their 5/5 was in it's absolute infancy), and who is now the highest goalscorer in the history of international football (barring Ali Daei who was mainly playing against amateurs for Iran in the 1990s) despite playing much of his earlier years for Portugal playing out wide.

You'd think people could just sit back, relax and enjoy the fact that we're watching two of the absolute best of the best players in the entire history of the game and that many of us will be lucky to see even one more player in our lifetimes who can match either of them again over such a long period of time (never mind two at the same time)... but clearly not. Some people made their minds up in 2005 and will not change it no matter what... the funny thing is we all know back then that people like TGM were complaining about 'no end product' while now they're complaining about him being 'all end product'. That says a lot more about them than it does about Ronaldo.

I get a bit of a kick out of their posts at this stage, such is how blatant it is that Ronaldo's successes clearly sting and hurt. :p

Well your first bit in bold, that's an outright lie. I said until that point he hadn't scored two against a top team, which was interesting seeing as he's the "best goal scorer of all time". 10 years it took him to do it against a top team in the CL, not bad, eh? Then if we apply actual context like we seemingly do for Kane, when he did score 2 it was against a Bayern team who were down to 10 men and throwing everyone forward leaving huge space. Of course he got an offside goal too. He also got 2 or 3 against a disorganised Atletico I think, his first in about 6 or 7 attempts against them in open play in the CL. When they reorganised for the return leg he didn't get a look in.

As for the second part in bold, why shouldn't Kane get the Ballon D'or this year? He has all the stats to back up his claim, seeing as Ronaldo is a shoe in most years for his "stats"? Talisman, who "led" his team to 4 or 5 Champions League's? You mean the outlet wholly reliant on others to provide? Funny how he "leads", while Harry Kane doesn't, aye?

As for the 3rd bit, what does that even mean? Unless stat padding is objectively good to watch? A guy standing around for 90 minutes is groundbreaking stuff, the like of which we'll never see again? Dismiss all the other top goal scorers "because of this aand that", and Ronaldo is one of the two best ever because, in general, over the space of a season, he's a tap in merchant?

Also, why talk about Ronaldo's career even, let's just talk about this tournament then. All Ronaldo's dire performances ignored, not a mention, yet Kane is held to another standard. Why? Kane scored 6 goals in 6 games here, ratio of a goal a game. Player of the tournament. "Stat's" are the new measurement of greatness after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

WTF kind of dumpster fire is going on here this morning?

This is what you said

:confused:

How are these two pieces of information even correlated?

Kane imo, had a disappointing WC by his standards. Yes, he bagged goals but could have done a lot better. He'd probably say it himself.

Ronaldo is on of the best in the world. That's not up for argument.

Bizzare post tbh.

True, his stats are the best, even though over 90 minutes he's generally woeful. Kane's stat's are the best here, even though he was woeful over 90 minute's. Kane is player of the tournament imo

Kane, by his standards performed average. A hattrick of 2 penalties and a deflection against one of the most turd teams to ever play in a WC, a penalty against Columbia and after that he was tired, sluggish and missing chances he would normally put away (hence the playing under par point)

He won the game for them against Tunisia doing what he normally does which is the standard people measure him by but after that, he stepped down a level.

Using this as ANOTHER means to have a dig at Ronaldo is warped

So? The measurement of greatness these days is "stats". Kane has the best stats, ergo, best player

So? The measurement of greatness these days is "stats". Kane has the best stats, ergo, best player

Are you ok?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Are you ok?

I'm fine. I've just finally accepted Ronaldo is one of the two best players ever because of all his stats. So I'm just trying to be consistent and get others to see the light in relation to Kane

• Advertisement

True, his stats are the best, even though over 90 minutes he's generally woeful. Kane's stat's are the best here, even though he was woeful over 90 minute's. Kane is player of the tournament imo

So basically if I'm reading it right.

Ronaldo = generally woeful in 90 mins, and regarded as one of the best in the world

Kane = woeful in this tournament in 90 mins. Therefore Kane = player of the tournament.

Correct?

Dig

Dig

Dig

Dig

Dig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Golden ball for me:

If France win - Varane
    If Croatia win - Modric

I’m well aware that Varane hasn’t a hope of getting it even if he scored a hat-trick in the final by the way :pac:

So basically if I'm reading it right.

Ronaldo = generally woeful in 90 mins, and regarded as one of the best in the world

Kane = woeful in this tournament in 90 mins. Therefore Kane = player of the tournament.

Correct?

Well you have to remember "stats" too. IF Ronaldo was turning in 10 goals per season, aligned with his general outfield performances, would he be rated so highly. Or does stat padding go along way to cementing his "greatness"? 8-0 wins against Eibar, or 6 goals against Tunisia, does it matter. It's all about the stats. Kane has the best stats this time, best player

I'm fine. I've just finally accepted Ronaldo is one of the two best players ever because of all his stats . So I'm just trying to be consistent and get others to see the light in relation to Kane
    Well you have to remember "stats" too. IF Ronaldo was turning in 10 goals per season, aligned with his general outfield performances, would he be rated so highly. Or does stat padding go along way to cementing his "greatness"? 8-0 wins against Eibar, or 6 goals against Tunisia, does it matter. It's all about the stats. Kane has the best stats this time, best player

19789999.jpg

Obviously not :confused:

Instead he's averging 50 goals a season for the past 10 years. That's why he's rated so highly.

Without a doubt the weirdest exchange I've ever had on the SF, and there's been a lot.

Paully D wrote: »
    Golden ball for me:

If France win - Varane
    If Croatia win - Modric

I’m well aware that Varane hasn’t a hope of getting it even if he scored a hat-trick in the final by the way :pac:

Mbabbe the favourite, and Modric the 2nd according to the bookies. Both are way ahead of everyone else.

Kane is 66/1 for the other poster who seems certain Kane has been player of the Tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What’s this Ronaldo v Kane debate about? Neither was best player of the tournament.

Kane scored in three games , two of them against poor teams.

Ronaldo scored in 2 games and missed a peno. But a hat tick against Spain is easily better then any game Kane had.

Kane played 3 (/after today’s friendly!) extra games and didn’t do an awful lot which non my view diluted his contribution. Particularly as Ronaldo is a big game player and normally relishes the kind of games Kane didn’t really make any impact in (quarters and semi finals).

When Kane wasn’t scoring he wasn’t contributing an awful lot.

The VAR rules actually improved Kane’s and Englands chances of scoring cause he can be lethal in the box and defenders couldn’t hang out if him as much. But Kane wasn’t able to take advantage of it. His miss v Croatia was very bad for a player of his quality.

I personally think Lukaku had a better over all tournament then these two. When he wasn’t scoring he was brilliant for the team. He seemed to be a leader because he was one of the main players doing huddle talks.

I’d imagine player of the tournament will come from France or Croatia. Modric is a popular call but I’m not convinced that sentimental reasons aren’t primarily driving that bus. That said I’m not sure who deserves it, perhaps a defensive area of Frances defence/midfield ? Generally the flash players win it but I think objectively maybe one of those lads would be deserving...

Obviously not :confused:

Instead he's averging 50 goals a season for the past 10 years. That's why he's rated so highly.

Without a doubt the weirdest exchange I've ever had on the SF, and there's been a lot.

The point is, the majority of his goals are from stat padding against cannon fodder over a season, while being lethargic in open play. Kane stat padded better here, so he's the best player

Golden ball for me:

If France win - Varane
    If Croatia win - Modric

the last time a player won the golden ball and took home a winners medal was Romario almost a quarter of a century ago!

Modric has it w/o a shadow of a doubt, I think (justifiably) the darling with most media outlets

• Advertisement

the last time a player won the golden ball and took home a winners medal was Romario almost a quarter of a century ago!

Modric has it w/o a shadow of a doubt, I think (justifiably) the darling with most media outlets

Will he get the Ballon D'or, seeing as he was the fulcrum to his clubs success? Or will that go to stat padder too?

The point is, the majority of his goals are from stat padding against cannon fodder over a season, while being lethargic in open play. Kane stat padded better here, so he's the best player

Hair-dryer-Happy-Monkey-Funny-gif.gif

Don't engage with TGM, he seems to have this fetish about people making a mockery of his clearly attention seeking "opinion" about Ronaldo. I would be illing to lay my life on the line he doesn't buy into what he is spouting himself even.

His very first post on Boards, on inspection was the same drivel about Ronaldo that he is feeding us now and he hasn't stopped since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mbappe will get it if France win.

Modric for certain if Croatia win.

It doesn't work like that. As clearly in evidence with the last 5 world cups. Most credible journalists will judge the players performances and his influence on their team throughout the whole last month, win or lose the final. Obviously both players could have a monstrous influence on the final (ie one of the games in the tournament) which could sway the vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can you absolutely guarantee this?:p

See, I have a bet on Modric for the Golden Ball and am thinking about putting €100 on Mbappe round evens to cover it. So obviously my worst nightmare would be for it to go to Kante or someone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

1 nil Belgium ****e defending.

For anybody that cares, meunier or whatever he's called the scorer

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

These generally tend to be free-scoring games with the pressure off, think they've averaged 4+ since 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Awful defending from England could be two down already

• Advertisement

England just want to start the holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He's not a stat padder though. Stat padding is getting the majority of your goals against the weaker opposition in a weaker league/cup but never really doing it at the top. Looking at Ronaldo's record in the Champions League that statement falls apart pretty quickly.

The Champions League I think we can all agree is the top level of Football these days. So looking at that:

Look at the top two sides he's scored most of his goals against.

9.-Cristiano-Ronaldos-Champions-League-Goals-Teams-Scored-Against-At-Least-Five-Times_180412_115723.png

The keepers he has scored the most against in the CL

10.-Cristiano-Ronaldos-Champions-League-Goals-GKs-Scored-Against-At-Least-Five-Times_180412_115735.png

The rounds he's scored in

2.-Cristiano-Ronaldos-Champions-League-Goals-By-Round_180412_115625.png

At a certain point you can't say it's stat padding and have to just accept he's the world's best goal scorer and probably the best big game player we've seen in the CL.

Maybe that might look to you like he's hanging round doing nothing, but at this stage you should know he knows what he is doing, and that's waiting for his chance like all good goal poachers.

Kane is also world class and shares many of the same characteristics. It's easy for them to look bad when the team around them is creating nothing but that's not their jobs. I don't think Kane has had a great tournament but that's more down to the service he's had to work with. He's done great to get to 6 with what he's had to work with.

• Super finish from Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Belgium fully deserved here. Great tournament from them. Played super football throughout with a hard physical edge.

England PL7 W3 D1 L3, a limited squad had the best chance they'll get and spurned it. I don't think it will come again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Belgium fully deserved here. Great tournament from them. Played super football throughout with a hard physical edge.

England PL7 W3 D1 L3, a limited squad had the best chance they'll get and spurned it. I don't think it will come again.

If your squad is that limited I don't see how you can call it a chance spurned.

Can you say the same about Denmark, Russia and Sweden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gbear wrote: »
    If your squad is that limited I don't see how you can call it a chance spurned.

Can you say the same about Denmark, Russia and Sweden?

None of Denmark, Russia or Sweden will go away rueing their star forward missing a sitter while 1 - 0 up in the semi final...

• Advertisement

• I think RTE are confused lol

Does Brian know that it's Apres Match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    None of Denmark, Russia or Sweden will go away rueing their star forward missing a sitter while 1 - 0 up in the semi final...

It was a cracking save by Subasic, but that was only in the first half. It's not like it was in the dying moments. I don't see any particular reason why 2-0 would've been dramatically more insurmountable than 1-0.

Losing on penalties to the eventual finalists would probably qualify for not too far away. I'm sure Denmark could've beaten Russia and either could've beaten England far more easily than England could've beaten France.

I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that this is somehow building for the future, and wouldn't put too much stock in their young talent that has won underage tournaments, and this might be as close as they get for a long time.

However, every loss doesn't have to be understood in terms of 'bottling it'. Sometimes you just lose because normal footballing things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I see southgate is going to write a personalised letter to all his players to thank them for their efforts at the world cup. I can definetly see them win the next WC now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I see southgate is going to write a personalised letter to all his players to thank them for their efforts at the world cup. I can definetly see them win the next WC now.

Unlikely that Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain will all be below-par again in 2022, also Holland and Italy will surely qualify next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Unlikely that Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain will all be below-par again in 2022, also Holland and Italy will surely qualify next time.

I suspect Iused2likebusts was not entirely in earnest...

• Advertisement

Since everybody seems to be highlighting all the negatives to death I guess I can perhaps look through the embers of this apparent disaster and look to see if there is anything positive they can take from the tournament:

- Get to semi finals with a team most think is average
    - best showing in three decades and equal best since 1966
    - no expectations before tournament
    - player will prob be highest scorer despite not looking as good as he can be
    - won a penalty shootout for the first time in a World Cup
    - have a relatively young inexperienced squad to build on
    - underage success could potentially compliment this squad
    - manager seems to addressed egos, drama and disconnection between fans and team
    - manager seems to pick players on merit not reputation
    - sterling and Kane can improve, were not at their best
    - found a reliable GK who didn’t make massive mistakes in big games
    - rashford, ali and stones are young decent future stars that will improve
    - core of a spurs team without egos
    - no obvious club rivalry or factions

Reading people’s post here you would swear they had a top team knocked out by Iceland....

Somebody used the word churlish which is quite apt... There is a lot of positives for England to take from this tournament. It doesn’t guarantee future success but it’s a hell of a lot better then any of them thought before the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Eden Hazard has to be in the running for player of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

England were beaten twice in 90 minutes during this world cup ...

By Belgiums B team and by Belgiums A teams. :D

Our best ever World Cup. Pity Meunier was out for the semi final, that rejig didnt suit us. but on the day the better defensive team won.

Delighted with 3rd. Hoped for a spot in the semi-finals before the tournament but that was only hoping considering the likes of Argentina, Spain, Portugal, Spain, Brazil, France, Germany were in the tournament.

To not go to the final when we got to the semi was a dissapointment but ...we are 3rd in the world cup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eden Hazard has to be in the running for player of the tournament

Kdb had one off game, else I'd say he was in there too ...

Hazard, Meunier and Courtois my 3 best players for us.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Kdb had one off game, else I'd say he was in there too ...

Hazard, Meunier and Courtois my 3 best players for us.

De bruyne wasn't great I thought at all in the tournament. He looked good against Brazil, that was about it really, maybe just gets held to he higher standards he has set for himself now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

How much did this ref cost France I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

pjohnson wrote: »
    How much did this ref cost France I wonder?

A dive and a **** penalty decision, I really hope they don’t win it on foot of 2 awful decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Stick up a poll for Goal of the tourney? I'd say Pavards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

eigrod wrote: »
    A dive and a **** penalty decision, I really hope they don’t win it on foot of 2 awful decisions

Penalty decision was 100% correct. The dive was unnecessary but it was going to be a free kick anyway whether he dived early or stood there and took it.

Penalty was a penalty,seemed harsh but becomes more clear the more you see it tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement