Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Another piece of trivia. The 2018 World Cup is the first one where every participating team scored at least 2 goals. Never happened before.

There was only 1 0-0 draw wasnt there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It was a good World Cup full of thrills and spills. But there lacked quality at times. France were fairly ordinary at times despite going on to win it. Croatia didn't look like they belonged in the final. It made it exciting for the neutrals to some degree but I would personally prefer to see more quality on show.

France were deserved winners in a competition none of the teams really deserved to win.

I see Argentina have got rid of Sampaoli anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A great tournament. Fully justified the decision to award it to Russia instead of the England bid

EK4lxia.jpg

So France will be going out in the group stages in 2022 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It was a good World Cup full of thrills and spills. But there lacked quality at times. France were fairly ordinary at times despite going on to win it. Croatia didn't look like they belonged in the final. It made it exciting for the neutrals to some degree but I would personally prefer to see more quality on show.

France were deserved winners in a competition none of the teams really deserved to win.

Don't agree with this. Croatia looked the better team in the first half, and for spells in the 2nd half. They needed to chase the game following two highly controversial decisions against them, and didn't throw in the towel at all. Had Croatia been handed a couple of goals like that, they could've won by 3 or 4 such is the, in my view, suspect French temperament.

If you're looking for a team who didn't look like they belonged in a final - Holland in 2010 is a good example.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this. Croatia looked the better team in the first half, and for spells in the 2nd half. They needed to chase the game following two highly controversial decisions against them, and didn't throw in the towel at all. Had Croatia been handed a couple of goals like that, they could've won by 3 or 4 such is the, in my view, suspect French temperament.

If you're looking for a team who didn't look like they belonged in a final - Holland in 2010 is a good example.

I see where coming from but France just looked to have a bit more going forward. I do feel that if Croatia played Belgium, Brazil or even Spain in the QFs or Semis they wouldn't have got as far as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Holland might have looked like that in the final but they won all their group games and beat Brazil and Uruguay in the knock out stages. They definitely deserved to be there.

For me anyway

Player of the tournament: Toss up between Modric and Mbappe for me

Keeper of the tournament: Courtrois (Not a great tournament for the poor keepers)

Goal of the tournament: Di Maria v France

Surprise package: Croatia (Russia 2nd)

Biggest shock: Germany going out in the group to a team which lost both their matches

Worst team: Egypt

Most disappointing player: Lewandowski (Neymar close second)

Most disappointing team: Tough one but I'd have to go with Spain but Egypt, Poland, Germany, Portugal or Argentina could have taken that award

Worst manager: Sampaoli without a shadow of a doubt

Worst game: Spain 1-1 Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

For me anyway

Player of the tournament: Toss up between Modric and Mbappe for me

Keeper of the tournament: Courtrois (Not a great tournament for the poor keepers)

Goal of the tournament: Di Maria v France

Surprise package: Croatia (Russia 2nd)

Biggest shock: Germany going out in the group looking to a team that already eliminated

Worst team: Egypt

Most disappointing player: Lewandowski (Neymar close second)

Most disappointing team: Tough one but I'd have to go with Spain as Egypt, Poland, Germany, Portugal or Argentina could have taken that award

Worst manager: Sampaoli without a shadow of a doubt

Worst game: Spain 1-1 Russia
    South Korea weren't already eliminated.  South Korea would've gone through if Mexico won instead of Sweden.

• Advertisement

764dak wrote: »
    South Korea weren't already eliminated.  South Korea would've gone through if Mexico won instead of Sweden.

Didn't realise that as I missed that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cheers for the template Stephen.

Player of the tournament: Modric

Keeper of the tournament: Courtois (just ahead of Pickford)

Goal of the tournament: Pavard (Messi a close second)

Surprise package: Croatia

Biggest shock: Germans

Worst team: Panama

Most disappointing player: Thomas Muller

Most disappointing team: Germany again, I had them to win

Worst manager: Jogi Low. Could say Sampaoli for his team selections, but Low has to instill a proper plan B in Germany, plan A failed miserably.

Worst game: France 0-0 Denmark - the only 0-0. Belgium v England (mk1) 2nd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Might as well throw in my own two cents:

Player of the tournament: Modric, Trippier second for me.

Keeper of the tournament: Courtois, would’ve gone for Lloris only for his error in the final.

Goal of the tournament: Pavard, without a doubt.

Surprise package: Russia, a lot more competitive than I anticipated.

Biggest shock: Some people actually liking/defending Neymar

Most disappointing player: Neymar

Most disappointing team: Egypt, it was disheartening to see a team of players around Salah just not capable of providing any good service for him, and he knew it as well as they did. He didn’t look too unfit either, so the injury wasn’t to blame for Egypt’s poor campaign IMO.

Worst manager: Hierro/Lopetegui, I have to cut Hierro some slack so that’s why I’m including Lopetegui here too as it was his system that Hierro mostly stuck to when he came in at short notice. But my god what a waste of the absolute best squad at the tournament, they take zero risks and paid the price.

Worst game: France vs. Denmark, a farce of a game. The less said, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

France only went behind once in the tournament, against Argentina. And that's when they produced their best attacking display. Such ruthlessness doesn't suggest a poor temperament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

greendom wrote: »
    France only went behind once in the tournament, against Argentina. And that's when they produced their best attacking display. Such ruthlessness doesn't suggest a poor temperament

I suppose I’m more referring to a perceived sense of injustice. France went behind to legitimate Argentine goals – Croatia went behind to 2 suspect decisions. I feel if France had suffered that same setback we would’ve seen them falter, if not crumble. Especially under the weight of expectation and the memories of losing their previous final at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I suppose I’m more referring to a perceived sense of injustice. France went behind to legitimate Argentine goals – Croatia went behind to 2 suspect decisions. I feel if France had suffered that same setback we would’ve seen them falter, if not crumble. Especially under the weight of expectation and the memories of losing their previous final at home.
    It's a possibility but I think the French team showed they could play in a number of different ways and adapt to the requirements of the game at the time.

That's why they deserved to win the tournament. We'll never know what would have happened if 2 questionable decisions had gone against France yesterday but I think they would have found a way to prevail.

The main issue yesterday was how poor Kante played after a majestic tournament. I think that's why France suffered so much in the first half. But the strength in depth off the bench meant that they could overcome that hurdle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A great tournament. Fully justified the decision to award it to Russia instead of the England bid

The doom and gloom in advance from the English media is always a fun part. Roughly the 27th event in a row (inc Euros and Olympics, though excluding anything hosted west of the Rhine) that they've forecast to be a disaster either for violence, attendances, racism, weather, safety, organisation etc.
    The Qatar build up will no doubt be great as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The main issue yesterday was how poor Kante played after a majestic tournament.
    I think that was at least partially due to the fact he got a yellow card and didnt want to be sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Julien Laurens said Kanté had a stomach illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Very enjoyable world cup overall, certainly the most enjoyable I have experienced anyway for a number of reasons. Agree that in terms of quality maybe it did lack a bit as there was no real stand out teams or players, France were deserved winners in the end as they were solid and consistent despite never playing exceptional.

Player of the tournament: Varane who was brilliant in every game for France.

Keeper of the tournament: Courtois with Pickford a close second.

Goal of the tournament: Pavard v Argentina.

Surprise package: Sweden, for a team with players not much better than Ireland they done really well.

Biggest shock: Russia knocking out Spain.

Worst team: Didn't see Panama play fully, so I will say Saudi Arabia.

Most disappointing player: Neymar, his stock has definitely fallen the last 12 months.

Most disappointing team: Hard to not pick Germany, they had a relatively decent group but they just did not turn up to this world cup for one reason or another.

Worst manager: Sampaoli did not seem to have a clue what he was doing, on paper Argentinas world cup doesn't look as bad as it was in reality.

Worst game: Spain v Russia really frustrated me, Spain were pathetic and I was happy to see them go out after that performance.

Best game: I really enjoyed France 4-3 Argentina, watching it in a pub full of French fans added to it as well! Belgium 3-2 Japan is worth a mention and I really enjoyed Mexicos performance when they bet Germany.

Team of the tournament: Courtois; Trippier, Varane, Godin, Marcelo; Modric, Matuidi, Pogba; Perisic, Mbappe, Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Most disappointing player: Neymar, his stock has definitely fallen the last 12 months.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Really disappointing that the next world cup will be on in November and December. 8 years to wait for a proper summer world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Really disappointing that the next world cup will be on in November and December. 8 years to wait for a proper summer world cup.

And even then there'll be a load of dross with 48 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/turns-itv-curse-england-world-174219464.html

not down to tactics, an uncreative midfield or suspect defence. England's failure is down to being shown on ITV.
    This reminds me of stupid stuff I do when watching games as if I'm directly influencing the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Imagine the jealously Neymar will be showing towards Mbappe now.

If Mbappe thought thebullying was bad last year.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Paully D wrote: »

Surely they both won't be at PSG next season. At least 1 will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Paully D wrote: »

Mbappe should just lay Neymar across the floor. Wouldn't do many of these prima-donna's any harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll be 40 then :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Raphael Varane is just the 9th player to play in and win the World Cup and European Cup finals in the same year.
    And I think the 4th to win both CL & WC the same year after Karembeu (1998), Roberto Carlos (2002) & Khedira (2014).
    Croatia looked the better team in the first half, and for spells in the 2nd half. They needed to chase the game following two highly controversial decisions against them, and didn't throw in the towel at all. Had Croatia been handed a couple of goals like that, they could've won by 3 or 4 such is the, in my view, suspect French temperament.
    I think our team just showed the opposite. Even during "our" Euro 2 years ago (we'd have never beaten Germany otherwise, especially knowing the collective football inferiority complex and memory we had with German football). I actually found us particularly strong mentally and with a hell of a temper to overturn the Argentina game. We should have been 2 or 3-0 up at half time. Instead we went to the rest room at 1-1. And conceded a deflected "bad luck" goal early in the second half. If we were a team to throw the towel, we would not have turned this game.

The strange thing is I feel we dealt better with our Euro's final 2 years ago (we just failed in terms of efficiency) than with yesterday's game. But during this WC we've been such a cold blooded animal!

Anyhow, great to see the jubilation across the whole country from yesterday afternoon onwards :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My favourite World Cup is the goalies on the losing teams in the last four finals have all been Monaco players.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

My favourite World Cup is the goalies on the losing teams in the last four finals have all been Monaco players.:eek:

Huh. Funny. They've all spent time at Monaco alright but weren't all Monaco at the time of the defeat.

2018: Subasic; Monaco's current goalkeeper. Fair enough.
    2014: Sergio Romero; Spent the 2013/14 season on loan at Monaco. Played 3 games.
    2010: Maarten Stekelenburg. At the time, Ajax GK. Played 1 game for Monaco on a loan spell which took place in 2014!
    2006: Fabian Barthez. At the time, Marseille GK. Played for Monaco from 1995-2000.

Sadly, Oliver Kahn ruins the run in 2002 but the winning GK in 1998 was Barthez, playing for Monaco at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Here's one.

In 1998, Israel won the Eurovision and then France won the World Cup.
    2018, Israel won the Eurovision and then France won the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lads I think we need to do one of those 'create a tabloid rumour mill story' jobbies with Darren Randolph going to Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Billy86 wrote: »
    Lads I think we need to do one of those 'create a tabloid rumour mill story' jobbies with Darren Randolph going to Monaco.
    We don't want to be losers!

Randolph to Inter or Bayern :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Have to say that was a great World Cup for me for many reasons. For starters, the times that the the games were shown at as it worked out fairly handy for me and got to see most of the matches.

I felt that there were plenty of surprises in this World Cup with big teams going out early such as Germany. Some may think that Argentina going out early was a surprise but they've barely made it to the tournement in the first place and only for a win in their last qualifier to make the last spot, things weren't going well for them anyway. Also was surprised with how well Japan had done as prior to the tournement, they had just gotten a new manager and lost all the games they played and were shambolic so getting as far as they did and putting Belgium to the sword only to slip up was fairly good going for them.

Have to say that I actually thought the VAR contributed to a better World Cup than usual because of the decisions that were made using it for penalties which were mostly scored, it opened up the teams more instead of having a tournament where most teams were reluctant to conceed. Teams were forced to have a go if they went behind. Only one 0-0 game too!

Lots more good things about this World Cup. Certainly better than the last few gone by. Plenty of goals, plenty of talking points, feel VAR was good for the game and a final with plenty of goals.

The winners deserved to be World Champions. Played some tough games, got the results. Plenty of goals scored, defensively solid and like most winning football teams, had some luck also.

Great World Cup if ya ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Loved this world cup ...

I was the same age as my small lad is now when my home country got to the semi's and lost the 3rd place play-off in 1986, so my first and his first world cup both had Belgium going to the Semi final, only he saw them win the 3rd place medal.

Hopefully I dont have to wait till he has kids to see them go that deep into a tournament again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Keeper of the tournament: Pickford

Goal of the tournament: Messi

Surprise package: Croatia

Biggest shock: South Korea 2-0 Germany

Most disappointing team: Germany

Worst manager: Sampaoli

Worst game: France 0-0 Denmark

Team of the tournament: Pickford, Trippier, Varane, Godin, Hernandez, Modric, Kante, Perisic, Griezman, Mbappe, Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Player of the tournament: Hazard

Keeper of the tournament: Courtois

Goal of the tournament: Chadli

Surprise package: England Suprising how such a poor team was able to go so deep into a tournament

Biggest shock: South Korea 2-0 Germany

Team of the tournament: Courtois, Trippier, Varane, Alderweireld, Hernandez, Modric, Witsel, Perisic, Griezman , Mbappe, Hazard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Player of the tournament: Hazard

Goal of the tournament: Messi

Surprise package: Croatia, I expected them to get out of the group but struggle

Biggest shock: Spain sacking their manager on the eve of the tournament or Spain losing on penalties to Russia.

Most disappointing player: De Gea

Team of the tournament: Courtois, Pavard, Varane, Alderweireld, Hernandez, Perisic, Modric, Pogba, Griezmann, Mbappe, Hazard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Goal of the tournament: Pavard

Surprise package: Sweden, I expected them to finish bottom of their group

Biggest shock: Germany going out in the group

Most disappointing team: Poland

Team of the tournament: Courtois; Tripper, Varane, Maguire, Lucas; Kante, Modric, Pogba; Perisic, Mbappe, Hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Player of the tournament: Modric

Keeper of the tournament: Courtois

Goal of the tournament: Pavard

Surprise package: Japan

Biggest shock: Germany not making out of that group

Worst team: Panama

Most disappointing player: Neymar/Lewendowski

Most disappointing team: Spain/Poland/Denmark

Worst manager: Sampaoli

Worst game: France 0-0 Denmark / Iran 1 - Morrocco

Team of the tournament: Courtois; Tripper, Varane, Godin, Lucas; Kante, Modric, Couthino; Mbappe, Lukaku, Hazard

Goal of the tournament: Pavard

(Added)Save of the tournament: Pickford vs Columbia

Surprise package: England, didn’t expect them to get passed the last 16

Biggest shock: Germany going out in the group

Most disappointing player: DeGea

Worst manager: Lopetugui, at least Sampaoli took charge of a few games

Team of the tournament: Courtois, Tripper, Varane, Vida, Hernandez, Hazard, Modric, Pogba, Perisic, Greizmann Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Young, Paulinho and Neymar. :pac:

DiT3Y5WW4AAXlSK.jpg:medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

FIFA must have been watching some different games to me.

Johner wrote: »

Yeah young us a weird one there. Although ken early was struggling for a left back on his tott and ended up with Marcelo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah young us a weird one there. Although ken early was struggling for a left back on his tott and ended up with Marcelo...

Yeah there weren't really any standout left backs in fairness. Neymar and Paulinho are both strange decisions though. I would have had any of Frances midfield 3 over Paulinho and Perisic ahead of Neymar.

Johner wrote: »

Lloris after that howler in the final. Courtois was the most consistent goalkeeper

Funny how the team includes 4 no. 10s but not the guy (notionally) playing at no. 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does it have to be a back 4?

If there wasn't a great LB, then play 3 at the back!!

Advertisement