Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Also, the stadium they are playing in is the mad one.

Just saw there that mo salah is not playing. No torreira for Uruguay either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

C'Mon Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Salah is a fan-ny... Honest to god, a few ligaments in his shoulder and he went off crying like a big girl. I was disgusted watching the CL final and the carry on of him. Biggest game of his career... we've all done worse and played on. And still out today :rolleyes: Watching GAA makes some mockery of the modern footballer. As much as I detest rugby, the pain those lads put themselves through in big games compared to modern footballers is chalk and cheese... granted, different sports and different demands, but it's also a mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Also, the stadium they are playing in is the mad one.

What's mad about it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Salah is a fan-ny... Honest to god, a few ligaments in his shoulder and he went off crying like a big girl. I was disgusted watching the CL final and the carry on of him. Biggest game of his career... we've all done worse and played on. And still out today :rolleyes: Watching GAA makes some mockery of the modern footballer. As much as I detest rugby, the pain those lads put themselves through in big games compared to modern footballers is chalk and cheese... granted, different sports and different demands, but it's also a mindset.

He did try to play on, and couldn't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see it looks like Ashley Young will start left wing back for England ,
    He's had a decent season but just shows how poor the England squad is
    I reckon its the worst in my living memory and I'm 35

I don't know about that, I'm feeling surprisingly optimistic about their chances of progression to the latter stages.

The big thing for me is that this is the first time in 20 years of following football that I can remember an English football manager not just mindlessly sending out his best 11 players and hoping they click.

Southgate seems to have a coherent plan as to how they should play. And more importantly it seems he's not afraid to drop some of his better performers to fit it. Overall, they seem a better balanced squad to me.
    I just can't see it they more than likely get out of there group but they won't bother any of the big teams ,

What's mad about it?

It's the one in Ekateringburg, where the stand behind one if the goals os outside the ground and you're Up in the clouds watching the game. I think Salah should toughen up a bit alright. However, I don't think all players are like this, sure David Luiz played through chelseas title winning season with his knee ****ed and needing an operation, also neuer playing that Game with his Broken hand. Antonio Adán this year for real Betis played almost the whole season needing an operation. So like I said, it depends on the player. But then again, having suffered a shoulder injury myself, I suppose I do sympathize with him, so maybe he shouldn't toughen up?haha

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    He did try to play on, and couldn't :)

Ahh stop it...just stop it now.

Salah is a fan-ny... Honest to god, a few ligaments in his shoulder and he went off crying like a big girl. I was disgusted watching the CL final and the carry on of him. Biggest game of his career... we've all done worse and played on. And still out today :rolleyes:  Watching GAA makes some mockery of the modern footballer. As much as I detest rugby, the pain those lads put themselves through in big games compared to modern footballers is chalk and cheese... granted, different sports and different demands, but it's also a mindset.
    Try running with that injury he got and see how you get on,
    I'm sure he could have stayed out there but what's the point if he wouldn't have effected the game he couldn't run with it,
    Absolute nonsense,
    Why would nay GAA manger leave someone on the pitch who can only use one arm ?
    If a gaa player done his shoulder he'd come off to don't be daft
    Lee Kegan is currently out for four months with a shoulder injury  , Is he a big blouse to ?

• Advertisement

I'm sure he could have stayed out there but what's the point if he wouldn't have effected the game he couldn't run with it,
    Absolute nonsense,
    Lee Kegan is currently out for four months with a shoulder injury , Is he a big blouse to ?

Listen .. I ripped my shoulder to bits paint balling and still captured the enemy flag. Pain is a mindset. Winning is a mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Eh... sh**loads of nerves run through your shoulder up to your noggin'. Having your shoulder pop out and back in can be excruciating pain, in some cases so severe it causes people to go into shock.

So those dissing Salah, seriously cop onto yourselves. Even Rugby players wouldn't be as dumb as to try and play on with a dislocated shoulder... :rolleyes:

Besides Salah, looks like an interesting round of matches today.

I have Uruguay to win, a scoreless draw between Iran and Morocco and a win for Spain.
    Although the Iran/Morocco game could turn out to be a goal scoring frenzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Much different playing an amateur sport with a shoulder injury. Much lower level so you might get away with it.

Salah with a shoulder injury cannot run properly so no chance he can play on.

Absolute nonsense,
    Lee Kegan is currently out for four months with a shoulder injury  , Is he a big blouse to ?

Listen .. I ripped my shoulder to bits paint balling and still captured the enemy flag. Pain is a mindset. Winning is a mindset.
    Cian O Sullivan Dublin defender has been out since MArch with a shoulder injury , ,the big blouse
    Two years ago Kerry’s Footballer of the Year James O’Donoghue come off in quarter final with the same injury ,
    This year wasn't there a Rossomon player who was out injured due to hurting his shoulder while working as a prison guard,
    I'm sure your harder than all the above,

Absolute nonsense,
    Lee Kegan is currently out for four months with a shoulder injury  , Is he a big blouse to ?

Ye blouse a paint ball ripped your shoulder

Ye blouse a paint ball ripped your shoulder

No, I ripped it doing a diving tuck roll while shooting off a clip..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought Ramos had murdered Salah tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

MD1990 wrote: »
    Much different playing an amateur sport with a shoulder injury. Much lower level so you might get away with it.

Salah with a shoulder injury cannot run properly so no chance he can play on.

Spot on. Playing in a CL final - the pinnacle of the club game - and a player rips his shoulder. He knows he can carry on and run around a bit, but in such a top level game he knows he'll not nearly be at 100% and will be only a hinderance for his team. He knew he had to come off to benefit the team.

Although had he known how Lallana would play, he might've stayed on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

What's mad about it?

It’s like this on both ends

15070460470221.jpg

No, I ripped it doing a diving tuck roll while shooting off a clip..

Pffft, you don’t even use a real gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yay. Another female pundit on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Who’s the blond one between given what’s his face

corny wrote: »
    Yay. Another female pundit on RTE.

Always remember her goal that was voted for the goal of the season at the Balon D’or awards

naughto wrote: »
    Who’s the blond one between given what’s his face

Stephanie Roche, Plays for Ireland. Think she is with Sunderland now but out with a serious injury

astradave wrote: »
    Always remember her goal that was voted for the goal of the season at the Balon D’or awards

Stephanie Roche, Plays for Ireland. Think she is with Sunderland now but out with a serious injury

Yea Messi and Ronaldo eyeing her up at the awards.

• Advertisement

Yea Messi and Ronaldo eyeing her up at the awards.

When talking about Salah, they were saying that he may not play at all. She said something like, "He could be just doing a John Terry" Very funny.

There are alot of empty seats in that stadium.

It’s like this on both ends

15070460470221.jpg

Do you tie your self off before you sit down .Health and Safety nightmare I'd say.

Do you tie your self off before you sit down .Health and Safety nightmare I'd say.

No idea, they had a camera up there about 6/7 mins in and it was rocking like crazy, say it’s daunting anyways

No idea, they had a camera up there about 6/7 mins in and it was rocking like crazy, say it’s daunting anyways

Bet you will get some lunatics climbing the scaffolding aswell.
    Big miss by Suarez there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

central-stadium-a1fe6650c7b9_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqAn42fo-ub25UKGJAQWgg2ZqcksTfpO-1LtjJOW8LSOQ.jpg?imwidth=450

view-of-ekaterinburg-arena-in-yekaterinburg-on-may-24-2018-the-will-picture-id962017728

imageName124081914_original.jpg

• Advertisement

central-stadium-a1fe6650c7b9_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqAn42fo-ub25UKGJAQWgg2ZqcksTfpO-1LtjJOW8LSOQ.jpg?imwidth=450

Nosebleeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mo checking his shin pads.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Mo checking his shin pads.

Looked like shoulder pads to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That stand is brilliant, its like in the old LMA games when you could build a 20,000 seater, 3 tier stand on the end of something like the Dell, looks so out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Looks stupid fifa should have just made an exception that the stadium didn't need to hold as many people as the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus the state of this rte pundit team

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Looks stupid fifa should have just made an exception that the stadium didn't need to hold as many people as the others.

With the stands it 35000 capacity or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Jaysis that scaffold stand is terrifying. I'm sure they had engineers look at it beforehand....probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    With the stands it 35000 capacity or something like that.

I think it needed to be 40,000 that's why the temporary stand was erected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

ricero wrote: »
    Jasus the state of this rte pundit team

Who's on? Stuck with BBC here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think it needed to be 40,000 that's why the temporary stand was erected.

The irony is there are plenty of empty seats in the other stands

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hard to think these are professional footballers. Terrible match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Don't ever ever ever listen to BBC Commentary with headphones on if its Keown, his constant sucking up of his own drool is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

This is poor stuff,Uruguay for all their stars look absolutely toothless and free from any creative MF

Egypt are sorely missing in the final third, doing all the good work to get there and misplacing simple passes or the crossing is poor, I’m convinced if Salah was on they would have a goal. Uruguay really ain’t up to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

MOTM today surely the goalkeeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sounds like a great advertisement not to expand the thing to 48 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Very Uruguayan goal that, bit ugly but they got it. Poor marking on Giminez & Godin

Fantastic Header tbf, up over 3 Egypt players

• Advertisement

Godín was immense and Giménez was solid and got the goal. Betancur is a bit overrated no? He only passes sideways or behind, yet the way the BBC were talking you'd swear to go It was the second coming of Xavi or Iniesta.

Advertisement