Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's not even real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Great equaliser from Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Right. Disgusting. Bought 2 goals and a De Gea howler. His 1st goal he's ever scored in 50 free kick attempts at major finals with Portugal. Or something like that, George Hamilton mentioned in the first half.

• Ah ****e

Injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Some performance by Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

magma69 wrote: »

This is internationals, leave your affinity at the door ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sligeach wrote: »
    Right. Disgusting. Bought 2 goals and a De Gea howler. His 1st goal he's ever scored in 50 free kick attempts at major finals with Portugal. Or something like that, George Hamilton mentioned in the first half.

Ger Canning is disgusted with your ignorance.

• sligeach wrote: »

Salty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have you not heard that Ronaldo left Utd a few years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

• ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Genuinely can't remember Ronaldo putting a foot wrong this match. Some performance.

The game in general has been a belter
    Let's hope the tournament continues in this fashion
    What a game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sickener for your Spanish self apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ger Canning is disgusted with your ignorance.

Sorry, yes Ger. Wasn't thinking straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Some game, that was fantastic. 3 brilliant goals in it. Gotten me excitied for the rest of the tournament. Headlines will be about Ronaldo and rightly so but Costa's and Nacho's goals were absolutely top class. Costa goal of the night for me.

Edit: actually with the time of the free kock and the pressure Ronaldos is up there for the night. Great game either way

Wasn't thinking straight.

I think finally we all agree...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Jeez Iran must be counting their luck tonight !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two loathsome sides full of the worst characters but who combined well to create a very good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I suppose that's a fair enough result and decent for both sides.

After what we've seen, both will control the game against the two other teams and probably create chances and put them away without too much fuss. I think they'll be about 12-2 over the 4 remaining games.

They both have a little work to do in terms of creating better chances against stubborn defences. All the goals had a little bit questionable about them, in the sense that none of them were just normal goals from open play. Pen, non-goal, goalie cock up, set piece, thunderbolt, thunderbolt.

Haven't seen Guedes much, but by all accounts he's very good. Against a team that sits back he might be more effective as they get the ball down and they play a shorter game. Maybe Silva would be better for the knockout rounds though.
    Spain were solid in possession, but too seldom were they incisive enough. Then again, Portugal were quite stubborn and they did create some chances, even if they weren't too clear cut.

All in all, it's a good pick-me-up after the poor standard we've seen thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Genuinely can't remember Ronaldo putting a foot wrong this match. Some performance.

He was utterly awesome tonight. A magnificent performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Two loathsome sides full of the worst characters but who combined well to create a very good game.

People always hate winners.

Guedes had an absolute shocker. Not sure why he was marking Busquets for that free either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haters will hate but Ronnie was fantastic tonight.

Spain weren't too shabby too. Isco great to watch. Costa too, iniesta great for 60min

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I forgot that rule where its not a foul to kick Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Edit: actually with the time of the free kock and the pressure Ronaldos is up there for the night. Great game either way

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can't look at Spain without thinking they still never replaced what Xavi & Xabi Alonso brought their midfield.

Jaysus they had to back 4 years,man utd vs sunderland for the last howler de gea let in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Meh... A hattrick against a no mark goalie who threw in and didn't even wave at the 3rd one: a bottler Bill ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Jaysus they had to back 4 years,man utd vs sunderland for the last howler de gea let in

Even more unusual considering he did such a thing 12 days ago against Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ronaldos equaliser was brllant , but given the pressure, stage and opposition it was even moreso .

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Even more unusual considering he did such a thing 12 days ago against Switzerland.

Cant say i seen it, going off the boyo's on rte. Serves me right though listening to those lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Meh... A hattrick against a no mark goalie who threw in and didn't even wave at the 3rd one: a bottler Bill ;)

A spoofer Bill, a spoofer :)

Ronaldo surely on for the Golden Boot now.

Have Spain picked in two predictor comps and in an individual bet, but christ you have to hand it to the man.

Pique should know better not to dive in on him when in the periphery of the box though.

Stupid sexy Ronaldo

6/4 now. ye would fancy him score 2 at least v Iran and Morocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

raiders11 wrote: »
    6/4 now. ye would fancy him score 2 at least v Iran and Morocco

Greatest lay of all. Time in terms of betting. Germany Argentina Brazil etc etc all to play. Awful price.

sugarman wrote: »
    Good chance he could be rested for their final game if they win their next.

Plus, on 3 goals its only a 1 goal cushion on Costa & Cheryshev and we're only as far as group B round opening games too.

Wouldnt be jumping any guns and backing. Muller scored a hattrick against Portugal in their opening last world cup, went all the way to final/won it and still only finished runner up.

Wouldnt go on him at 6/4 though, wonder what he was before the tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That was the most splendid 90mins I've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

sugarman wrote: »
    Good chance he could be rested for their final game if they win their next.

Zero chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Football brings out the mental in people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The World Cup needed that match tonight.

The blue touch paper has been lit.

4 matches tomorrow.

Fridge stocked with beer.

What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

cracking game of football,Isco was brilliant for the 90mins,Ronnie stealing his thunder a bit,1st free kick goal in 45 attempts in major finals. Reminds me of the spa-ita game in 2012 euro,90mins of pure football 1-1 and Spain hammer them in final,not a chance port get to final in imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Burlap_Sack

What a performance from one of the greatest to ever play the game, his will to win, belief, and sherr determination is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The build up to Spain's third goal that Ferdinand got a bit of stick for highlighting post-game on the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Panthro wrote: »
    That was the most splendid 90mins I've seen in a long time.

I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a game of football so much where I had no skin in the game and didn’t mind who won. I was cheering every goal....

It was like being passionate for a good game and genuinely wanting football to be the winner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Drumpot wrote: »
    I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a game of football so much where I had no skin in the game and didn’t mind who won. I was cheering every goal....

I’d a really stressful week in work, overtime every evening, bid presentation and submission this afternoon.

My carrot all week was the Spain v Portugal match. I kept imagining myself cracking open a beer, crashing on the couch with the match on.

Totally worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

84 international goals is mind-bending, equals the European record set by Puskas in 1956. Ronaldo has played 68 more matches admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

4 matches tomorrow.

Fridge stocked with beer.

What a time to be alive.

Cn-RskNXgAAfzj3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

84 international goals is mind-bending, equals the European record set by Puskas in 1956. Ronaldo has played 68 more matches admittedly.

To be fair international level goal scoring exploits can be somewhat clouded by sme of the opposition you face. Robbie Keane has almost a similar goals to games record as Ronaldo and has played in much inferior first 11's. And Portugal are first seeds inalmost all qualifying group for tournaments

Ronaldo is so formiddable a player that as mad as it sounds I actually think he should have a higher ratio of goals per games, especially when he is hitting hattricks against the likes Faroes, Andorra and Armenia.

At club level he has a ratio of almost 80% (goals to games, whilst at international level it is about 0.55 % )

This isn't me knocking Ronaldo IN ANY WAY, I just don't think his goal scoring exploits at international level is mind bending when you put things into a bit of perspective. Excellent but definitely not remarkable when you consider the player involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A little something I wonder whenever a WC or Euros comes around and I know it may seem a little random or knit picking but why do the BBC always use their own branding, intro and scoreboard as opposed to the set Fifa one which RTE use. I would have thought it was a requirement for all broadcasters by Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Flawless performance from arguably the greatest of them all.

Big game player, quintessential big game player.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The Ronaldo free kick reminded me of that Portsmouth one about 10 years ago. Loved the Costa equaliser in 1st half.

Great match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Was it me or did he take a free different to how he normally does. Was more of a curler than normal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement