Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Was it me or did he take a free different to how he normally does.

Aye he scored this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

raiders11 wrote: »
    Wouldnt go on him at 6/4 though, wonder what he was before the tournament?

15/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Was it me or did he take a free different to how he normally does. Was more of a curler than normal.

Well, he had tried 45 times before and hadn't scored with his old technique, was about time he tried something else.;)

For a guy with a reputation for being good at free's, he scores a very small number of them for both Portugal and Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

So much pace in that French team. Not one slow player.

Any team they come up against will have to play deep. Brazil will want to avoid France. They could destroy them on the counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well, he had tried 45 times before and hadn't scored with his old technique, was about time he tried something else.;)

For a guy with a reputation for being good at free's, he scores a very small number of them for both Portugal and Real Madrid.

He has a way to go to reach Roberto Carlos levels of underserved free kick love though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

raiders11 wrote: »
    Wouldnt go on him at 6/4 though, wonder what he was before the tournament?
    I'm on him @ 16/1

smugbaby.jpg
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Brazil will want to avoid France. They could destroy them on the counter

They're due to meet in the semi, might be worth a watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

NIMAN wrote: »

Since when has he got that reputation? Anyone who watches football knows how bad he generally is. It's like David Luiz when they go in they look insane but misses so many everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Come on the Aussies, smash em up.

France to win 5-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Stephen15 wrote: »
    A little something I wonder whenever a WC or Euros comes around and I know it may seem a little random or knit picking but why do the BBC always use their own branding, intro and scoreboard as opposed to the set Fifa one which RTE use. I would have thought it was a requirement for all broadcasters by Fifa.

ITV also use their own score graphics, UK want to be different I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Drumpot wrote: »
    I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a game of football so much where I had no skin in the game and didn’t mind who won. I was cheering every goal....

It was like being passionate for a good game and genuinely wanting football to be the winner...

Well said, at 2-2 I was wondering who do I actually want to win this game because I was cheering for every goal and shot, great match and what a performance from Ronaldo, obviously not the most likeable character but if you can't enjoy seeing a performance like last night then what is the point in even watching the World Cup!

Ref looks like he’s gonna blow up for everything.

So 7 minutes in and the players know all they have to do is fall over to get the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Great save...wasn’t even straight at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Almost a shock lead there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Aussies can't lose, they've got Naboo on their side.:P

687474703a2f2f7777772e6a65646974656d706c6561726368697665732e636f6d2f67616c6c65726965732f323031342f5265766965775f47756e67616e57617272696f72504f544a2f5265766965775f47756e67616e57617272696f72504f544a5f7374696c6c2e6a7067

It's a contact sport ref...

• Advertisement

Huge gulf in individual quality between the two sides but the Aussies playing with some confidence and seem to be willing to go for it.

They do look very poor at the back though. It’ll be very important for their keeper to have a good game.

Ref is definitely ruining it currently.

No leaders in that French side, Varane perhaps.

Choice of Mark Lawrenson or Ray Houghton. We are spoiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pogba doing a great impression of a human shaped hole in the centre of midfield for France.

I think at a certain point, we might just have to admit that he's not very good at football.

• Advertisement

How loud did that French defender scream as he went down there. Embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Pogba doing a great impression of a human shaped hole in the centre of midfield for France.

I think at a certain point, we might just have to admit that he's not very good at football.

Yawn
    How about try being a little creative if you are going to make a stupid post

Dembele has been rubbish so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cahill is still been called up?! He must be nearly 40 at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Game is being played at such a slow pace.

Admirable from the Aussies, French floundering pleases me.

The hype around France must be diminishing fairly quickly at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

irishman86 wrote: »
    Yawn
    How about try being a little creative if you are going to make a stupid post

Are you actually watching the game? Have you seen Pogba get dragged out of position, leaving gaps for Australia in the centre and then pass the ball to a yellow shirt under no pressure whatsoever?

I'm all for club loyalty and that but at a certain point you have to open your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought the Aussie LB had scored a screamer at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Need Fekir on.

Pogba,Griezmann & Dembele all been poor.

• Advertisement

Are you actually watching the game? Have you seen Pogba get dragged out of position, leaving gaps for Australia in the centre and then pass the ball to a yellow shirt under no pressure whatsoever?

I'm all for club loyalty and that but at a certain point you have to open your eyes.

He hasn’t been good or bad. Pedestrian, like the other 9 outfield players. One horribly misplaced pass and 2 almost inch perfect balls over the top.
    If there’s a hole through the centre, there’s 2 other midfielders that should be sharing that blame.

Good tackle, France lack identity.

Thought there was a touch on the ball there. Proper mess.

BS call. It wasn’t a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Shocking VAR call joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Caught on the heal, while he went down easy enough, correct decision after using VAR,

Oh well, probably the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Bad bad call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Correct decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

they can scrap VR or whatever it's called because that's just BS. We need robot refs

So VAR doesn’t work.

There is the clear evidence.

What are you talking about club loyalty for
    Hes doing no such thing, like i said at least be creative buddy otherwise its just boring

That was a proper decision unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Surprised the match didn’t stop for a feature length documentary on whether Griezmann would take the penalty or not.

Fantastic penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Why take so long to go to var? Nonsense Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bad bad decision! Aussie got a touch on the ball first. Disgraceful, France handed a free pass!

martyos121 wrote: »
    Surprised the match didn’t stop for a feature length documentary on whether Griezmann would take the penalty or not.

Lol

So VAR doesn’t work.

There is the clear evidence.

What?

Why do people suddenly think penalties are no longer meant to be given?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Why take so long to go to var? Nonsense Bill

The ref signalled to Griezmann that he would go to Var when the ball goes out of play, when the ball goes out of play they review the decision and either rewind the match to that point or play on from where it goes out

• Advertisement
Advertisement