Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

If the ref had said no penalty and Australia had scored in the meantime what happens then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Penalty Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Oh yeah baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Another pen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

now bring the justice football gods

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'm not really a VAR fan most of the time but I think VAR worked well there.

Referee had doubts, waited for ball to go out of play and reviewed the footage. Took an acceptable amount of time aswell. Made the correct decision aswell which is what counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yes! Come on the Aussies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

good Call there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Please score ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

astradave wrote:
    The ref signalled to Griezmann that he would go to Var when the ball goes out of play, when the ball goes out of play they review the decision and either rewind the match to that point or play on from where it goes out

That's a bit stupid. Imagine if Australia scored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Now that is defo a penalty

1-1 but that ball was not on the spot

What a beauty what a beard, 1-1.

Come on the Aussies !!!

Schwiiing wrote: »
    If the ref had said no penalty and Australia had scored in the meantime what happens then?

Doesn’t count and the game goes back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Umtiti, you're some titi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Justice!

That’s justice in so far that the France peno was a joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Referee had doubts, waited for ball to go out of play and reviewed the footage. Took an acceptable amount of time aswell. Made the correct decision aswell which is what counts.
    What correct decision? Aussie player got a touch

Guidelines for referees that has to be clear and overwhelming evidence to overturn a decision they have made and there was absolutely no clear and overwhelming evidence from the video replay that the referee made a wrong decision

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »

You’re wrong.

Defender touched the ball on to the attacker. No foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Umtiti really stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

astradave wrote: »
    The ref signalled to Griezmann that he would go to Var when the ball goes out of play, when the ball goes out of play they review the decision and either rewind the match to that point or play on from where it goes out

What if the Australian who committed the foul had scored before the ball went out of play. Could they then go to var and award France the pen and red card the Australian defender?

gandalf wrote: »
    Justice!

I hear ya but justice would be Aussies to be 1-0 up.

It wasn’t a peno for the French.

It was a peno for the Aussies.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    What correct decision? Aussie player got a touch

Guidelines for referees that has to be clear and overwhelming evidence to overturn a decision they have made and there was absolutely no clear and overwhelming evidence from the video replay that the referee made a wrong decision

My thoughts would be that it was a good tackle initially which was outside the box but the player continued to slide and then infringed Griezmann in a different motion, basically 2 different tackles in the one slide, one was a good tackle but the second one was a foul so the won the ball doesn’t really come into it at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

actually in my eagerness to prove the French one wasn't a penalty, Google has convinced me it was. Any trip or attempted trip counts and it just has to be careless. Don't think Griezeman had the ball or was getting to it but that may not matter.

• Advertisement

I'm talking from the reality that the French were one nil up because of a tainted penalty decision though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

They should scrap VAR purely on the basis that it clearly doesn’t remove ambiguity according to this thread.

Yes but perhaps the game might have taken a different turn of events had France not scored and remained 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

My thoughts would be that it was a good tackle initially which was outside the box but the player continued to slide and then infringed Griezmann in a different motion, basically 2 different tackles in the one slide, one was a good tackle but the second one was a foul so the won the ball doesn’t really come into it at that stage.

I think so. The Aussie could've pulled his leg after his initial challenge, but didn't, he left it there and caught Griessman on the ankle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I can't see the player getting any touch on the ball. Even if he touches it Griezmann still touches it again after and then he gets his ankle clipped so the touch is irrelevant. Like Ronaldo last night he sold it very well but it's a clear foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pogba doing a great impression of a human shaped hole in the centre of midfield for France.

I think at a certain point, we might just have to admit that he's not very good at football.

I think Pogba is the perfect example of the modern footballer .... style over substance. Marketing over ability.

I seen him play a few good games for Juve, but every pro footballer will play good games some times.

When was last time he bossed a game against good players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Australia are a likable side.

Game lads.

Would love to see Cahill on for the last 10 minutes and maybe get his head on to a set piece.

Balls.

Fluke? :pac:

edit:og

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pogba making the difference this game

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just about crossed the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think technology worked well in this game.

No dispute over France's second goal which would have been controversial and protested against in previous world cups.

1st peno with VAR was correct call. It was about the 2nd contact on Griezmann that brought him down not the initial one. Many people seem to miss that.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Pogba making the difference this game

Nope the HFB is making the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just about crossed the line

But that's all it has to do to be a goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It was the touch off the defender that altered the trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats how bad he is...he tried to flick it round the last defender and collect on the other side, but hit it 10 yards further than he should have and scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

"Of course, all France need to do now is keep the ball. They don't need to score another".

Mark Lawrenson; football genius.

This is the one true world cup thread.

blueser wrote: »
    "Of course, all France need to do now is keep the ball. They don't need to score another".

Mark Lawrenson; football genius.

:pac: taking tips from Michael Owen

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think technology worked well in this game.

No dispute over France's second goal which would have been controversial and protested against in previous world cups.

1st peno with VAR was correct call. It was about the 2nd contact on Griezmann that brought him down not the initial one. Many people seem to miss that.

That means that technically every tackle that gets the ball first and goes through a player is a free/peno. Maybe the art of tackling should just be outlawed all together.

The fact that it’s such a disputed decision is enough for doubt and the refs initial reaction was that if was fine. The Australia peno was as obvious a peno as you are likely to get. The French peno wasn’t, no matter how much people want to quote the rule book. This is going to be like the new rule “attacker benefit of doubt if sort of offside”. Any fan whose team conceded a peno like that wouldn’t be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

:pac: taking tips from Michael Owen
    Don't even go there!

Mooy was very good today. A player with real quality.

I felt the Aussies were unlucky there.

Edit - ref was appalling all game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Aaron Mooy was superb

• Advertisement

Look forward to France being dumped out of this tourny.

Advertisement