Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gutted for Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gutted for Australia.

Not enough to root for them in the rugger I hope:P

Not sure I get the whole first movement/second movement thing. Looked to me like the Oz player slid in, got a tiny touch on the ball, and momentum took him into the French player. So no peno imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Drumpot wrote: »
    That means that technically every tackle that gets the ball first and goes through a player is a free/peno. Maybe the art of tackling should just be outlawed all together.

The fact that it’s such a disputed decision is enough for doubt and the refs initial reaction was that if was fine. The Australia peno was as obvious a peno as you are likely to get. The French peno wasn’t, no matter how much people want to quote the rule book. This is going to be like the new rule “attacker benefit of doubt if sort of offside”.
    Didn't see the actual tackle as I'm not long in the door but, for me, if a players makes a tackle and gets the ball (but doesn't knock it out of the reach of the player he tackled), then brings down his opponent in his follow through, then it's a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I put a tenner on France to win the tournament. Might as well have chucked that in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Drumpot wrote: »
    That means that technically every tackle that gets the ball first and goes through a player is a free/peno. Maybe the art of tackling should just be outlawed all together.

I know what you're saying here, but I think this case was different - if the Aus defender had taken down Griezmann with the original tackle (after touching the ball - if he did, I'm not even sure but let's assume he did and the referee saw it), then I don't think the ref gives the pen.

BUT I think the ref adjudges the defender to have intentionally carried on his slide, when he could've ended it, and intentionally clip Griezmann's ankle to prevent him getting to the ball... a second motion (similar in a way to rugby's "no second motion" rule for a player playing the ball on the ground after a tackle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I put a tenner on France to win the tournament. Might as well have chucked that in the bin.

Don't start me on bets haha.

I've lost everything so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You really can't judge a team on the first game. It's all about progress, form and momentum.

Spain lost their first game in 2010 and look what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,860 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I think the ref adjudges the defender to have intentionally carried on his slide, when he could've ended it, and intentionally clip Griezmann's ankle to prevent him getting to the ball..

I think so too, but does this constitute a 'second motion' under the laws of the game?

BUT I think the ref adjudges the defender to have intentionally carried on his slide, when he could've ended it, and intentionally clip Griezmann's ankle to prevent him getting to the ball... a second motion (similar in a way to rugby's "no second motion" rule for a player playing the ball on the ground after a tackle).

But how does a fellow off his feet and sliding stop?

3 pundits on RTE say no peno.

• Advertisement

To me, it's a penalty. He got the back of Griezmann's leg with his follow through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I know what you're saying here, but I think this case was different - if the Aus defender had taken down Griezmann with the original tackle (after touching the ball - if he did, I'm not even sure but let's assume he did and the referee saw it), then I don't think the ref gives the pen.

Watching it again here now and there is absolutely no way the Aussie defender could have stopped his slide to take Griezmann down but the ball was clearly running away from him even if he stayed on his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"The Hut" - Shay Given's description of the VAR nerve Centre, where people take time out from playing with sticks to make a few decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Isn’t rule on this that it has to be it clear and obvious that the defender intentionally took out Griezmann? If so I don’t think it was that obvious so then you are allowing subjectivity to be allowed. VAR is supposed to clear this up and in this case if didn’t. It wasn’t clear to me and many others that the defender intends on following through so there is reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Jesus, Keith Andrews looks like an oompah loompah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

gandalf wrote: »
    Watching it again here now and there is absolutely no way the Aussie defender could have stopped his slide to take Griezmann down but the ball was clearly running away from him even if he stayed on his feet.

I think the Aus defender brings his foot down on the back of Greizmann's ankle - I don't think that's part of the original slide, which makes it a separate second challenge.

I agree it's not that clear-cut though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just saw the second goal again. Pogba looks to poke it forward and the defender kicks it over the keeper.

Hope it goes down officially as an own goal. Pogba and Griezmann have overtaken my dislike for Ronaldo.

I think the Aus defender brings his foot down on the back of Greizmann's ankle - I don't think that's part of the original slide, which makes it a separate second challenge.

I agree it's not that clear-cut though.

Or Griezmann's foot comes up to the Aussie defenders foot in his running motion. Completely accidental collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jedniak's beard should win some sort of Fifa award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Peter Collins rocking the Don Draper look. Dapper man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I still have a crush on Iceland from the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The way Australia passed the ball ends the myth about Ireland cannot pass the ball.

Ireland probably have better players & with a bit of belief,bravery from players & manager they could actually play some passing football.

Not enough to root for them in the rugger I hope:P

Rugger?

Do you mean Rüdiger?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Its mad that all the pundits think its all about messi.

Aguero, Di Maria, Dybala, Higuian.. these are world class forwards. Argentina have the best selection in their armory going forward. Romero a loss but this attacking line shoukd outscore any

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Biglia & Mascherano have about as much in their legs as Andrews & Hamann have in the studio.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Or Griezmann's foot comes up to the Aussie defenders foot in his running motion. Completely accidental collision.
    Intent is not a prerequisite for a penalty being awarded.

WTF is Evra wearing? Is he doing it for a dare or a bet?

AidoEirE wrote: »

Aguero, Di Maria, Dybala, Higuian.. these are world class forwards. Argentina have the best selection in their armory going forward. Romero a loss but this attacking line shoukd outscore any

It's a very unbalanced squad. Full of world class players but they are nearly all upfront meaning they have a few journeymen to fill in the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

When he single handedly dragged them to this World Cup then it pretty much is all about him yeah. Argentina have been ****. They have potential though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

LOL. You obviously have never seen Argentina play. At least not in the last three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

When he single handedly dragged to this World Cup then it pretty much is all about them yeah. Argentina have been ****. They have potential though.

I just find it mad best attacking lineup in the world and the rest being muck.

Tbf i didnt think portugal had all that in terms of squad so we may be in for another suprise here.

Happy pints lads, lets hope we get another cracking game here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Unearthly wrote: »
    I still have a crush on Iceland from the Euros

Same here..... really rooting for them!
    COME ON ICELAND!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Poor ref.

The footballs must be of poor quality. 3 times today it needed replacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

The Ice Men should be up.

• Advertisement

Awe Damn! Iceland fighting hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Great start.

That should have been taken by Bjarnason. Very sloppy by Caballero.

A bit more composure and he could have taken a touch before shooting.

Great strike by Kun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

And that's why Argentina will go nowhere in this tournament.

LOVE IT!!!!

THUNDER CLAAAAAP!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

These Iceland boys never give up, great equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ronnie Whelan and Get Canning must be two of the worst commentators in soccer.

Caballero wouildn't inspire much confidence among his defence. He made a howler early on and got away with it, and he was poor for Iceland's equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Messi's not getting a sniff here. He's dropping far too deep to get the ball from the defence and is an easy target for the Iceland players where he does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Esse85 wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan and Get Canning must be two of the worst commentators in soccer.

Totally. And I just changed from ITV. From bad to worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Wish they'd book players for surrounding ref and appealing for var

Ball to hand stop whinging Argentina.

• Advertisement
Advertisement