Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mexico have been brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Regardless of international form, this game is made for Sane. Reus warming up already though which will add something huge. Germany look poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Italy went out in the group stage as WC champions in 2010 Spain went out in the group stage as WC champions in 2014 could Germany repeat that record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Italy went out in the group stage as WC champions in 2010 Spain went out in the group stage as WC champions in 2014 could Germany repeat that record.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They haven’t played well and might lose here, but they’re far too stable a team to let that happen in my opinion. This is their toughest test in the group, a lot of people have underestimated Mexico but Sweden and South Korea aren’t on that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

martyos121 wrote: »
    They haven’t played well and might lose here, but they’re far too stable a team to let that happen in my opinion. This is their toughest test in the group, a lot of people have underestimated Mexico but Sweden and South Korea aren’t on that level.

Same happened with France in 2002 after winning it in 98. It could happen

Should be 2-0 Mexico. They made a hash of that brilliant chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

greendom wrote: »
    Same happened with France in 2002 after winning it in 98. It could happen

It could, of course. Any team could go out in the group stages. I just don’t see it happening to this German side. They respond too well to difficult situations to go out this early. I don’t fancy them to win it at all though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The thick dub accent is an absolute pain in the arse but for Kerr I'll overlook it and that's the biggest compliment I can give.

I like Kerr so much that I like his accent.

He's first class.

• Advertisement

That could have been a penalty for Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

They've had problems in Russia before of course.

Congratulations to Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Worst defeat the Germans had in Russia since 1944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This has been a fine world cup so far. Very entertaining 1 nil that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Arghus wrote: »
    I like Kerr so much that I like his accent.

He's first class.
    NO!!!! His accent is like nails down a blackboard to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

rob316 wrote:

I must have missed a good game this afternoon but have unfortunately seen a few stinkers when I did. Uruguay vs Egypt, Iran vs Morocco, Croatia vs Nigeria & Serbia vs Costa Rica earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I was surprised by how easily Mexico caught Germany out on the counter. If they had a bit more confidence, they could've scored three or four.

I was very unimpressed by Germany. They seemed to struggle alot when facing a team that were stubborn and relatively disciplined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

What's FIFA's stance with political banners / flags? Saw an Israeli (flag) being waved at the end of that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

rob316 wrote: »

It was better then the Brazil Qatar game on RTE 1 anyway :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    I must have missed a good game this afternoon but have unfortunately seen a few stinkers when I did. Uruguay vs Egypt, Iran vs Morocco, Croatia vs Nigeria & Serbia vs Costa Rica earlier.

You picked all the good ones alright

You picked all the good ones alright

I thought Uruguay vs Egypt & Croatia vs Nigeria would be good.
    I saw Portugal vs Spain thankfully but there is a lot of crap at the World Cup which makes me dread the thought of drawn out 48 team one with a potential last 32 round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That Germany result potentially opens a route to the final for England, if they finish second in the group. Any chance of them putting in less than 110% in the final group game against Belgium?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think Neymar hurt himself more from the way he threw himself on the ground than the contact from the tackle!

No vuvuzuelas in Luzhniki stadium for Germany Mexico
    great atmosphere to listen to

Probably around 3 dozen vuvuzuelas in Rostov right now annoying possibly 300 million tv viewers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What a goal from countinio

That's some peach of a strike from Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What's FIFA's stance with political banners / flags? Saw an Israeli (flag) being waved at the end of that game

Could be fans from Israel you know they do have football fans, there was a Scottish flag in one of the other games, and German flags at the Russia game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Swiss are playing ok but the final ball letting them down EVERY time.

Could be fans from Israel you know they do have football fans, there was a Scottish flag in one of the other games, and German flags at the Russia game

Obviously it could be but obviously an Israeli flag is clearly there for non footballing reasons. Surely you aren't that naive!

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Its an African thing not South American!

Havent heard it beyond the Egypt/Morocco/Tunisia/Nigeria games so far.

I never said it was a South American thing. ?? I know full well where the trend kicked off

I was just highlighting how irritating it is and how much you notice it going from one stadium that the fans didn't have them to another game later in another stadium.

But clearly they are being sold around certain stadiums in Russia and not in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Obviously it could be but obviously an Israeli flag is clearly there for non footballing reasons. Surely you aren't that naive!

How do you know that ? Not everyone wants to kick a political football

How do you know that ? Not everyone wants to kick a political football

Right, Ted.

On the upside for the Swiss they don't have Djourou & Senderos playing for them at centre back anymore.

Weird star just popped up on RTE. "Fouls suffered". Fouls conceded makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I never said it was a South American thing. ?? I know full well where the trend kicked off

I was just highlighting how irritating it is and how much you notice it going from one stadium that the fans didn't have them to another game later in another stadium.

But clearly they are being sold around certain stadiums in Russia and not in others.

Maybe the African fans bring them with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sligeach wrote: »
    Weird star just popped up on RTE. "Fouls suffered". Fouls conceded makes more sense.

Not if you're showing how many times a team has been fouled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

They are the opposite though?

My point is the word "suffered" is extreme. It makes it sound like someone dies with each foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

My point is the word "suffered" is extreme. It makes it sound like someone dies with each foul.

That would be fatalities suffered

So if someone brought an Irish tri colour into the ground would you say the same? It's clearly not there for footballing reasons since we didnt even qualify

When Dunphy retires fron RTE it will be just a montage of flip flops.
    Brazil have now gone from potential winners to also rans.
    What will he say at full time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Richie Dunne is cruel bad, he looks like he was crying.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Maybe the African fans bring them with them?

My comment was just that audible viewing wise, a match without vuvuzuelas like Mexico and Germany really highlights how irritating they are when you watch a match with them!

I thought vuvuzuelas were banned in most football grounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭adaminho

ERG89 wrote: »
    On the upside for the Swiss they don't have Djourou & Senderos playing for them at centre back anymore.

Djourou is on the bench.

So if someone brought an Irish tri colour into the ground would you say the same? It's clearly not there for footballing reasons since we didnt even qualify

Oh Stephen, just leave it. That is a terrible comparison considering the respective political situations in Ireland as compared to Israel at the minute...........

Random Palestine and Israeli flags have been popping up at events, concerts, matches, even at a GAA match recently for the last 6/7 months.

The odds are extremely low that a random Israeli flag popping up at a game isn't a political statement. You can't ban a nations flag obviously!

• Super ball, super header
    Game on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Jaysus, I thought the ref was about to go to the VAR there for the supposed push!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Could have been grounds for a review there but what a ball by Shaqiri, on the button

• Advertisement
Advertisement