Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sligeach wrote: »
    My point is the word "suffered" is extreme. It makes it sound like someone dies with each foul.

Sometimes they nearly do!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Top class response by roma but dunphy is an embrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What's the point in having VAR if the ref won't use it?

Clear foul on Miranda, the push denied him the opportunity to jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When Dunphy retires fron RTE it will be just a montage of flip flops.
    Brazil have now gone from potential winners to also rans.
    What will he say at full time?

Do people actually listen to him properly?

He said they are not showing themselves as potential winners but that could change as games go on.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What's the point in having VAR if the ref won't use it?

Clear foul on Miranda, the push denied him the opportunity to jump.

Ah come on, he barely touched him. This is a contact sport. It's not basketball.

murpho999 wrote:
    Ah come on, he barely touched him. This is a contact sport. It's not basketball.

He pushed him and the result of it was that he got a free unchallenged header at goal. That is a foul all day everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He pushed him and the result of it was that he got a free unchallenged header at goal. That is a foul all day everyday.

And according to ITV they Brazil players only complained when the goal was shown in the big screen in the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

murpho999 wrote: »

He didnt push him with enough force for him to fall to the ground but it was enough to stop him competing for the header

He didnt push him with enough force for him to fall to the ground but it was enough to stop him competing for the header

He needs to stand his ground. I don't want to see free kicks given for every tiny little thing.

It also looked a lot worse in slow motion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Nearly every headed goal scored from a corner is from a similar situation. It was a great delivery that either way the defender wasn't ready for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No Neymar, you were fouled, NOT shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Oh Stephen, just leave it. That is a terrible comparison considering the respective political situations in Ireland as compared to Israel at the minute...........

Random Palestine and Israeli flags have been popping up at events, concerts, matches, even at a GAA match recently for the last 6/7 months.

The odds are extremely low that a random Israeli flag popping up at a game isn't a political statement. You can't ban a nations flag obviously!

Israel is a sovergein state, so is Ireland, so is Germany etc. Palestine is not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

adaminho wrote:
    Djourou is on the bench.

Christ....

Brazil should have probably brought on Douglas Costa or Firmino by now. Willian and Jesus have been disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do people actually listen to him properly?

He said they are not showing themselves as potential winners but that could change as games go on.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Oh I listened very carefully he hedged his bets "potential winners" at half time he was saying "Spain" as favorites in an authoritative manner.

If I remember correctly in the last world cup 2014 apres match did a sketch about Dunphy and his claims of who are favorites.
    As each of his picks fell he changed his mind.

Might as well have a guy from the local pub on.

The sad part was it happened in reality.
    Looks like it is happening again.

He just says the first thing that comes his his brain most of the time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Manager should have a word with the Brazilian players, stop being over the top when you go down under a tackle and you might get the free/penalty!

The way Jesus threw himself on the ground made it look totally unnatural which made the refs mind up.

Apart from Spain and Portugal none of the favourites France, Argentina, Germany and Brazil have impressed me. The tournament looks quite open which is good for the neutrals.

Oh I listened very carefully he hedged his bets "potential winners" at half time he was saying "Spain" as favorites in an authoritative manner.

If I remember correctly in the last world cup 2014 apres match did a sketch about Dunphy and his claims of who are favorites.

Ok whatever, I'm not going to argue with you but I don't see anything wrong in what he said about Brazil tonight.

I just prefer him over Phil Neville, Alan Shearer or Rio Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Is there a reason Brazil are not starting Firmino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Tite brings on two CDMs - one of whom plays in China. Douglas Costa & Firmino (who's since come on) sitting on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is there a reason Brazil are not starting [HTML]Firmino?

Went for Jesus instead

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seems that every match has had 5 mins injury time, though I missed one or two including the Germany game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

astradave wrote: »
    Seems that every match has had 5 mins injury time, though I missed one or two including the Germany game

Was just thinking the same. I can understand it when VAR was used but it wasn’t in this match, don’t know where they’re pulling all this added time from.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Israel is a sovergein state, so is Ireland, so is Germany etc. Palestine is not

Thanks.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same. I can understand it when VAR was used but it wasn’t in this match, don’t know where they’re pulling all this added time from.

30 seconds for 3 subs each is 3 minutes.

30 Seconds for Swiss Goal.

Then 1.5 mins for normal stoppages.

All seems fair enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

astradave wrote: »

The Brazil lads were rolling on the floor.

• Advertisement

Just to add to this Dunphy also said at half time that Brazil did not look that good and that they could concede a goal to Switzerland through a set piece which is exactly what happened so you have to give him credit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What's FIFA's stance with political banners / flags? Saw an Israeli (flag) being waved at the end of that game

The world cup is in Russia and the next one is in Qatar. They clearly don't give a flying **** about politics.

I'm just thinking about all the friendlies before the World Cup and so close to it. Most teams had their starting eleven out. I wonder has this affected teams, a lot of the favourites have underperformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Apart from Spain and Portugal none of the favourites France, Argentina, Germany and Brazil have impressed me. The tournament looks quite open which is good for the neutrals.

Brazil are great to watch - but again far too much emphases on an unfit looking Neymer

They could improve a good bit - but they seems very naive - with so many player far too forward and unable to do much in the way of defense or pressing if opposition have ball.

I can't see them beat some of the even more average European teams.

Likes of Croatia would cause them problems - Spain will hammer them

Outstanding squad all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh Stephen, just leave it. That is a terrible comparison considering the respective political situations in Ireland as compared to Israel at the minute...........

Random Palestine and Israeli flags have been popping up at events, concerts, matches, even at a GAA match recently for the last 6/7 months.

The odds are extremely low that a random Israeli flag popping up at a game isn't a political statement. You can't ban a nations flag obviously!

Answered yourself there. Absolutely no way any action could be taken on just a national flag alone being flown. Maybe it's political, but in terms of policing, you can't presume it is, or else you're into very dodgy territory on where you draw the line.

(And i daresay that if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll find one of nigh on any national flag you care to think of over the course of the tournament)

• Advertisement

Somebody just tried to shoot Dunphy!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just to add to this Dunphy also said at half time that Brazil did not look that good and that they could concede a goal to Switzerland through a set piece which is exactly what happened so you have to give him credit there.

you're joking right?
    I said that about 10 mins after the Brazil goal once Switzerland started coming back into it and I barely watch matches.
    Dunphy is nothing but a hack who's sole purpose on tv is to spout ill informed nonsense and feed the trolls.

Blazer wrote: »
    you're joking right?
    I said that about 10 mins after the Brazil goal once Switzerland started coming back into it and I barely watch matches.
    Dunphy is nothing but a hack who's sole purpose on tv is to spout ill informed nonsense and feed the trolls.

Not joking no.

Discussing what Dunphy said, not your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm just thinking about all the friendlies before the World Cup and so close to it. Most teams had their starting eleven out. I wonder has this affected teams, a lot of the favourites have underperformed.

How so? That they're already knackered from one or maybe two run outs for 45 to 60 minutes?

This is pretty much how every tournament starts. Lots of pressure, no one wants to lose their first game, every limited time plays for an opening draw and keeps everything tight. Always lots of draws, or games with only 1 goal in the difference in the first round of fixtures. And a well drilled defensive team is just hard to break down - we see that every week in world football.

It always opens up as teams look for a win in the second or third game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

There’ll be an LGBT flag at the England game tomorrow. Wonder how that will go down with the Russians...

Not joking no.

Discussing what Dunphy said, not your posts.

you said to give him credit for what was obvious to any joe soap..as one poster said Dunphy is a complete waster and you might as well have the soccer guy at your local pub on for what he's worth.

Blazer wrote: »
    you said to give him credit for what was obvious to any joe soap..as one poster said Dunphy is a complete waster and you might as well have the soccer guy at your local pub on for what he's worth.

Just because you had the same 'obvious' opinion as Dunphy does not mean he's wrong to have it nor wrong to say it.

Fully disagree with your insulting assessment of Dunphy, he cares about the game passionately and is very entertaining.

We all know he gets some things wrong and can change his mind and is a wind up merchant but I enjoy watching him.

The way this tournament is opening up with a lot of big teams underperforming so far, Colombia are starting to look like genuine dark horses before they even play. The way things have gone so far, they could win their group and play England in the last 16 and either Mexico or Serbia in the quarters. A lot of football left to play of course but it’s looking promising enough for the winners of group H.

You could apply that scenario to Poland as well. It’s shaping up to be a cracking World Cup anyway. Some great games already and the first round of games hasnt even finished.

You could apply that scenario to Poland as well. It’s shaping up to be a cracking World Cup anyway. Some great games already and the first round of games hasnt even finished.

Or Senegal

Just because you had the same 'obvious' opinion as Dunphy does not mean he's wrong to have it nor wrong to say it.

Fully disagree with your insulting assessment of Dunphy, he cares about the game passionately and is very entertaining.

We all know he gets some things wrong and can change his mind and is a wind up merchant but I enjoy watching him.

to each their own..I'm not sure many on here would agree with you.

• Advertisement

Or Senegal

They do have a great squad on paper alright, I haven’t seen much of them yet apart from highlights of their friendly against Croatia. It’s a tough group, Japan are clearly the fourth best team in it but they’re no whipping boys either.

What I should’ve said was whoever wins that group can go very deep into the competition. Colombia would have the best chance of going further than the quarter finals though IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The way this tournament is opening up with a lot of big teams underperforming so far, Colombia are starting to look like genuine dark horses before they even play. The way things have gone so far, they could win their group and play England in the last 16 and either Mexico or Serbia in the quarters. A lot of football left to play of course but it’s looking promising enough for the winners of group H.

Or the runners-up of group G, as I pointed out earlier.:p Could well end up with France, Brazil, Germany and Spain in the other half of the draw...

Or the runners-up of group G, as I pointed out earlier.:p Could well end up with France, Brazil, Germany and Spain in the other half of the draw...

Ah I’m not optimistic about any team in that group though, as much as I’d like to be. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I want to see England do well. Southgate seems like a very likable character and very much the opposite to the hype boll*x that usually surrounds the England camp.

There is no really unlikable English player. Ali is annoying but not in the media darling sense whereby he’s overhyped like so many English players in the past. They have a very humble captain in Kane. A young inexperienced team with little to no expectation. They aren’t building themselves up.

After watching that BBC documentary on English managers and being reminded how badly they treat them in England I would love to see somebody like Southgate make up for his 96 heartache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Drumpot wrote: »
    I want to see England do well. Southgate seems like a very likable character and very much the opposite to the hype boll*x that usually surrounds the England camp.

There is no really unlikable English player. Ali is annoying but not in the media darling sense whereby he’s overhyped like so many English players in the past. They have a very humble captain in Kane. A young inexperienced team with little to no expectation. They aren’t building themselves up.

After watching that BBC documentary on English managers and being reminded how badly they treat them in England I would love to see somebody like Southgate make up for his 96 heartache.

I think a successful world cup for them would be the quarter finals. The midfield is the big problem, Henderson, Ali, Lingard are just not good enough and will be found technically limited against the more cultured European midfielders.

I like Kane as a player, superb at what he does and want to see him do great over the next few weeks but lost a lot of respect for the lad after swearing on his child's life in front of millions of viewers just to get awarded a goal. You can pull out the whole "he is just a fierce competitor" excuse but I wouldn't say he is over humble going by that remark. No matter how much you are convinced by something never ever swear on your little daughters life. I mean it doesn't even f*cking mean anything, she isn't staying alive on the basis of him getting a brush off his shoulder. It was just a horrible use of words and hardly role model stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I hate the way Harry Kane speaks it's like he is stuffed up with a bad headcold.
    Don't wish anything bad on England but it's a fairly ordinary squad they are bringing compared to previous tournaments. Don't expect Tunisia to be great & Panama I can see being brutalised today by Belgium which will earn them and Martinez false praise.

• ERG89 wrote: »
    I hate the way Harry Kane speaks it's like he is stuffed up with a bad headcold.
    Don't wish anything bad on England but it's a fairly ordinary squad they are bringing compared to previous tournaments. Don't expect Tunisia to be great & Panama I can see being brutalised today by Belgium which will earn them and Martinez false praise.

A well structured, disciplined team are more than capable of getting to the advanced stages of the tournament

Probably the first time in a long time I can remember England being incredibly difficult to break down. Might bode well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rob316 wrote: »
    I think a successful world cup for them would be the quarter finals. The midfield is the big problem, Henderson, Ali, Lingard are just not good enough and will be found technically limited against the more cultured European midfielders.

They might have a surprise in them. I also think they might actually win a big knock out game for first time in a long time. It’s the weight of expectation and over confidence that usually gets them. I don’t see that right now!!! Even Fabrecas on BBC said he thinks England will do better then they themselves think!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

England could do really well in the competition if they get their act together. As has been said they've no real unlikable players...maybe apart from alli and young - diving/cheating. They could easily make the qtr finals....if john stones doesnt do his usual f*ck up.

Advertisement