Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Goal from Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Only way they were going to score. The way Tunisia gave it away summed up their skill levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Had to be a header from a set piece. Tunisia couldn't win a header all night in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

That was a nice header, corners are probably where England have been strongest - really poor from the Tunisian to put himself in a position where he gave one away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Corholio wrote: »
    Englands best hope is a set piece, been clueless from open play in the second half
    Ya reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How do you leave the best Player on the pitch free with a few minutes to go. Deserved to lose for that defending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I hate that cliche post analysis "such and such don't deserve the win"

At the end of the day the better team on the pitch who produced the most are winning. So, by definition, they deserve the win.

Also "only two real chances" ?? They have had about 5 or 6 decent chances apart from the goals, 2, maybe 3 which were great chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Jesus listen to Kwoen now all night moaning how crap it was and now sounds like it was a great display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tunisia are a woeful side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

rob316 wrote: »
    How do you leave the best Player on the pitch free with a few minutes to go. Deserved to lose for that defending

He was in acres wasn't he.

Overall feeling of relief for England, but job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

England won’t go far anyway. Probably go out in the first knock out round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ya reckon?

Tunisia's marking was shocking all game, were bound to have some chances. They were much worse than I thought theyd be in the second half, I thought theyd have some go at England but didn't at all, especially when England were dire in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

That England team ain’t going far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

England and Belgium could not have asked for an easier group, England will go out in last 16 imo, Poland or Colombia would beat them.

eigrod wrote: »
    Tunisia are a woeful side.

And England were almost just as woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I know he scored 2, but Kane was poor tonight,RLC won that game for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When you play 2 number 10's in central midfield your not going to control a game for long. No balance in the side just a bunch of attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Richard, Richard, Richard! What $h1t€ just spilled out of your mouth? Paraphrasing: "I thought they looked like the best team in the world for the first 15 minutes(referring to England)".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Trippier was England's best player. Very good on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

You can see the likes of Fellaini and Lukaku having a field day against that Tunisian defence. They're very poor in aerial challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Harry Kane ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh giving ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh his views ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in a captivating ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh interview there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And England were almost just as woeful

Did you watch the first half of that game? Played some very good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I know he scored 2, but Kane was poor tonight,RLC won that game for England

Hes there to score goals. 24 years old. Captaining England in his first world cup. Scores 2 in opening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

England clearly deserved the win. Tunisia set up shop with a lot behind the ball to make it difficult and they did squander some great chances but looked quite good on the ball.

Still can't get my head around how they didn't get at least one penaty. First on Kane was as clear as it gets, how on earth the VAR team didn't call it I don't know.

All in all it's a very open WC at the moment. No real stand out team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

England were good, never gave up trying and get the reward for it.

Thought Maguire was excellent, Trippier too and Henderson had a very good game. Lingard missed some chances but he really puts a shift in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

England were good in that spell in the first half but were very pedestrian in the second half, lacked ideas even when Tunisia were handing them opportunities to attack. England were only 'good' if you disregard a big chunk of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Reckon Didi is at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭dubrov

Corholio wrote:
    England were good in that spell in the first half but were very pedestrian in the second half, lacked ideas even when Tunisia were handing them opportunities to attack. England were only 'good' if you disregard a big chunk of the game.

I agree with most of that. Still, they never looked in danger of conceding a chance let alone a goal. They were comfortably the better side

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I think with it being England us and the media can be more critical of them compared to other natiions.

The fact is it was the first game of the tournament for them. Did they show signs of good play? Yes. Did they get the job done? Yes.

Similarly we can't write off how far other big teams will go like Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Argentina, based off their openers. By the time the group has finished we should have a good idea, but for England getting 3 points to begin with was the first hurdle.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to next round of matches when groups begin to shape up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Most positives for England come with hefty caveats, but they're there.

They've been as impressive a side in terms of intensity off the ball and on the press that we've seen bar Mexico and maybe Portugal. They're possibly the most athletic side in the tournament, and when you can't generally get the kind of fluency you see in the club game, being able to outwork your opponents can be a great leveller.

I can't help but feel they're hamstrung a bit by starting 3 full backs. They felt a bit light up front at times. There just weren't the bodies they needed there, even with playing a winger like Lingaard in midfield. The times they did get Kane close to one of the others they often made little breaks through the midfield or threatened in behind but it didn't happen enough.
    It's not as if they looked particularly comfortable playing a high line or passing out from the back with a back 3, so I'm not entirely sure what the benefits are.

Having Sterling and Alli on there feels a little lopsided with too little presence on the left. I think they should be have two of Vardy, Kane and Rashford on the pitch whenever possible.

When all's said and done you can probably only count the teams who've looked better than England on one hand - Portgual, Spain, Mexico, Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That last minute goal was huge for me. Showed great character, I can’t remembed the last time an England team showed that in a big tournament? Possibly in 1990 when they were losing to Cameroon?

If they won by 4-1 I don’t think there couldn’t of been many complaints. The two Leno’s they didn’t get were farcical mistakes... Very poor form..

I think England looked better then Belgium's showing earlier.

In all fairness I think this tournament is about progress , not victory. It’s a really inexperienced and young side so I think they will hopefully get a break by their own fans. Quatar 2022 this team could be a real contender.

I also expect the usual suspects to get stronger but would not be surprised if England get at least one biggish scalp in this tournament.

I enjoyed their last minute win. I also get the feeling that the pundits (certainly on bbc) have ridiculously low expectations which is why they are enjoying it and speaking so fondly about the game... I hope they do well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gbear wrote: »
    It's not as if they looked particularly comfortable playing a high line or passing out from the back with a back 3, so I'm not entirely sure what the benefits are.

My theory is Southgate doesn't trust Stones in a CB 2 but doesn't feel he can drop him so he's hoping this system will turn him into David Luiz in 2016/17 Chelsea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Drumpot wrote: »
    That last minute goal was huge for me. Showed great character, I can’t remembed the last time an England team showed that in a big tournament? Possibly in 1990 when they were losing to Cameroon?

If they won by 4-1 I don’t think there couldn’t of been many complaints. The two Leno’s they didn’t get were farcical mistakes... Very poor form..

In all fairness I think this tournament is about progress , not victory. It’s a really inexperienced and young side so I think they will hopefully get a break by their own fans. Quatar 2022 this team could be a real contender.

I also expect the usual suspects to get stronger but would not be surprised if England get at least one biggish scalp in this tournament.

I enjoyed their last minute win. I also get the feeling that the pundits (certainly on bbc) have ridiculously low expectations which is why they are enjoying it and speaking so fondly about the game... I hope they do well....
    Good post. That first 30 minutes or so, we played some very good stuff. Second half, we tailed off badly. but as you hinted at, we kept going. If there was going to be a winner, it wasn't going to be Tunisia. They'd dropped anchor and would have been over the moon with a point. England will have to sharpen up their finishing though; we should have had 3 or 4 goals tonight, and you can't miss chances like that agianst the likes of Spain, Germany, Brazil, France etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn’t see the game....how did Ashley Young play?..
    p

..he must be pinching himself that he is starting in the World Cup at this stage of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

When all's said and done you can probably only count the teams who've looked better than England on one hand - Portgual, Spain, Mexico, Belgium.

Croatia, Serbia, Russia... Brazil and Switzerland both looked better. You have to remember it was Tunisia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Euro2020 final is in Wembley, though obviously Ireland will be aiming for that as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't get the whole showed great character stuff that gets trotted out on numerous occasions. If Tunisia held on for the draw that would be classed as great character. Its not they just would have got a lucky draw. England scoring late on isn't great character they were expected to win and understandably were putting a bit of pressure on. If Kane's header hits the post is it great character shown by england as they kept trying but just couldn't get the goal. Its an outcome based football cliche that annoys me a lot more than it should .Probably belongs in the things that grind your gears thread for me. Anyway I thought england played well and deserved the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

England full value for win but my thoughts on the game below for anyone who actuallt cares.

England started like clappers, very impressive and gave Tunisia a proper battering could have buried the game in the first ten minutes. Tunisia defended at times like a non league team but began to show some nice touches going forward. Thought England after going one up shrank a little lost some pace from their game. Also made some very silly errors at back which could have cost them that TV seemed to refuse to highlight. Not sure why Walker plays in the back 3. Liability under pressure and while pen was unfortunate it was the kind of thing he is capable of to give a pen away from nothing. Penalty for me. Next one involving kane is like a rugby tackle, 100 percent pen.

The kane penalty call after HT for me if anything it is a yellow for Kane and a free out. Watch it again and see Kanes holding the Tunisia fellas arm on his shoulder and then chucks himself down. Can't believe likes of Lineker calling for pen for it. Scandalous.

England in fairness plugged away but didn't think they were great second half. But Tunisia are dire, very poor side particularly at the back. Free kicks and corners looked like training drills where the attackers have a man over.

Interesting to see how England do but on evidence of that, against a good side they will go out easily as we Could very well be listening right now to the media castigating Southgate etc for another bland struggling draw with a very poor side. I don't care where they are ranked, fifa rankings mean little. Tunisia poorest side I've seen. Panama looked more organised until they conceded.

England looked neverous at times it looked like they almost afraid to put the ball into the box and fluffed their lines a good few times when the opportunities came and went Stones' miss proved this to me they were quite frustrating to watch it almost looked like some the players weren't really that bothered trying to score at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't get the whole showed great character stuff that gets trotted out on numerous occasions. If Tunisia held on for the draw that would be classed as great character. Its not they just would have got a lucky draw. England scoring late on isn't great character they were expected to win and understandably were putting a bit of pressure on. If Kane's header hits the post is it great character shown by england as they kept trying but just couldn't get the goal. Its an outcome based football cliche that annoys me a lot more than it should .Probably belongs in the things that grind your gears thread for me. Anyway I thought england played well and deserved the win.

The quality of the opposition is being over played. Plenty of top teams have struggled on the opening day of this tournament to convincingly beat a team they should beat on paper. And people have this high expectation of an inexperienced young English team that isn’t expected , by anybody, to do much in the World Cup!!! I mean, Nobody seems to actually know how good or bad Tunisia are.

What we actually know is that They are the highest ranking African team but people seem happy enough to write that off as irrelevant with zero contradicting information to qualify this belief. I know the spain team that started so well against Portugal struggled to beat Tunisia last week. Guess we will just have to presume Tunisia are crap because people want it to be so...

England’s actual performance was superior to a lot of the bigger teams. They could of won by 3 goals or more had the VAR system worked. The same system that saved a star laden Frances bacon twice against Australia.

But why I use the word character is because I have watched many an England side struggle to impose their game on smaller teams and fail miserably. Particularly taking the painful knock of a soft peno after dominating the opening half of the game.

They should Of been 2 or three up at HT, including a peno not given and their main striker being manhandled everytime a Cross came into the box. But England kept beavering away and as ugly as that second half was they were the better team and got what their hard work deserved. That’s character , ploughing through a rough patch and pushing for a win even when times running out, you aren’t getting the breaks and you aren’t playing well in a game you are expected to win.

I think England sides with supposedly better players have bottled it or not gotten that last minute win in the past. I also think the lack of obvious egos is helping. I don’t get the impression any of the squad think they are all that and they seem a more cohesive unit then any English squad I’ve seen.

It doesn’t necessarily equate to an England team that will win the cup or go very far. But it makes them more endearing and worth supporting IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

8AuMpoD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

England had more chances and if youre not able to take them then you dont deserve to win .simple as. If england played withoit fear ala switzerland and sticked to their principles it would gave neen a much more comfortable win. They lacked belief after the goal and didnt press for a 2nd. Faurly naive.
    Youd fancy colimbia/other to do them if they meet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

In all fairness I think this tournament is about progress , not victory. It’s a really inexperienced and young side so I think they will hopefully get a break by their own fans. Quatar 2022 this team could be a real contender. .
    reminds me of a quote I read a while ago about the 1962 World Cup team, can't remember who said it or exactly how it goes, but it was something along the lines of: 'this team is too young, too inexperienced, they'd need at least four years to get to a level capable of winning the tournament'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

England had more chances and if youre not able to take them then you dont deserve to win .simple as. If england played withoit fear ala switzerland and sticked to their principles it would gave neen a much more comfortable win. They lacked belief after the goal and didnt press for a 2nd. Faurly naive.
    Youd fancy colimbia/other to do them if they meet

This is just blatantly untrue. They pushed on massively after the goal and created several great chances that they just didn't take due to poor finishing. They didn't play great in the second half but on another day they would have had at least three by half time.

It's hard to say how far they can go but that was certainly an impressive start in terms of the pace, movement and passing ability they showed they had in the first half especially. They'll be a very dangerous opponent for anyone if they can keep playing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Croatia, Serbia, Russia... Brazil and Switzerland both looked better. You have to remember it was Tunisia.

I don't agree with any of those really and if they were better, it was marginal. Switzerland showed nothing in attack. Brazil looked flash but but very good. You have to remember it was Nigeria. You have to remember it was Saudi. Etc.

For the most part the teams at the world cup are fairly competitive. Only Belgium have managed a particularly comfortable win and performance from the good teams.

I think England's intensity rattled Tunisia a bit. Their set piece defending is just crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You have to remember it was Nigeria. You have to remember it was Saudi. Etc.

You have to remember it was Tunisia... etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I know Ronaldo has 2 potential "easy" opponents to rake up goals in Morocco and Iran but Lukaku and Kane could easily grab another couple of goals against Tunisia and Panama respectively.

Right now, theyre probably favourites for the golden boot but I wouldn't write off Costa either, his first goal against Portugal was special and Spain also have Morocco and Iran to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Like, did ye actually watch the 90mins? Tunisia WERE awful.

Peru, South Korea, Egypt all looked substantially better than Tunisia did, to note some losing sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Like, did ye actually watch the 90mins? Tunisia WERE awful.

Peru, South Korea, Egypt all looked substantially better than Tunisia did, to note some losing sides.

Its the old argument though WERE better vs WERE ABLE to look better

Tunisas recent results suggest they aren't awful

• Advertisement
Advertisement