Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

MD1990 wrote: »
    Spain are favourites. Incredible midfield. Teams will tire badly against Sapin because of how much possession they will have.

They have a better coach now as well.

Advantage to them that Italy, Chile and Netherlands all didn't qualify so they can't be put out by them again.:pac:

Good to see some distance being forged from the old guard of Fabregas, Pedro, Alonso and Mata. Fabregas in particular who I think is a shadow o the player he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Johner wrote:
    No Icardi for Argentina, although looking at the 4 strikers it's not hard to see why he wasn't included.

Messi & then 3 other lads who haven't done a tap for Argentina tbh.
    It's a pretty bad squad, Biglia has less in his legs now than Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Johner wrote: »
    No Icardi for Argentina, although looking at the 4 strikers it's not hard to see why he wasn't included.

Ddu3F46UQAA6bhq.jpg

Jaysus those defenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Much like Nainggolan's omission, I find it hard to believe Icardi's is due purely to footballing reasons.

Aguero is coming off an injury and has a worrisome injury record and Higuain has not had his best season. Icardi at the weekend scored to earn a share of Serie A's Golden Boot. He's had a great season.

I'm sure they could accommodate him and they may come to regret not doing so as they're in a group with Croatia, Nigeria and Iceland. I can see those being very physical games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd have brought Alonso over Monreal

Yeah but then the squad list wouldnt have two players making up nacho monreal side by side. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No Icardi for Argentina is beyond stupid.

Higauin, for years has failed for Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just seen where Bartra made uefa's la liga eleven for the year and he was only with us since january, way better than nacho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Luis Alberto is the omission I find most unfortunate. He's been superb for Lazio this season

Nainggolan's omission doesn't make much sense as far as footballing reasons go. And Tielemans is very lucky to be involved. He's had a poor season.

It's pretty obvious that Martinez dislikes him for some reason.
    he doesn't like his attitude around the squad and the fact he is a smoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Group A: Russia, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Uruguay
    Group B: Spain, Portugal, Iran, Morocco
    01-Jul-2018 Spain vs. Egypt Someone for Egypt takes one for the team by cutting Ramos in half, potentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting result tonight as England's opponents Tunisia come from 2-0 down away to Portugal to draw 2-2. No Ronaldo for Portugal due to the CL final. This is from the BBC report:
    The home side looked to be in control when AC Milan striker Andre Silva, a reported target for Wolves, headed in and then Mario, who spent part of this season on loan at West Ham from Inter Milan, thundered in a long-range effort.

But Tunisia showed they will pose an attacking threat to England, counter-attacking with pace and scoring a well-worked goal from Badri before Ben Youssef slid on to Ali Maaloul's low cross to equalise.

Possible banana skin for England?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Interesting result tonight as England's opponents Tunisia come from 2-0 down away to Portugal to draw 2-2. No Ronaldo for Portugal due to the CL final. This is from the BBC report:

Possible banana skin for England?

If the likes of Iceland can send them home, then absolutely anyone is a potential banana skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

so Guerrero has been cleared to play in the WC for Peru, good to see that FIFA seen sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have absolutely no enthusiasm for this world cup at all. Its not because we didn't make it, I suppose it because of the dodgyness in it being awarded to Russia. I feel the same about Qatar. Typically at this stage before a world cup I'd be planning what games to watch but I really don't care. I think Fifa have shot themselves in the foot with the next two tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• I'm backing France

Squad depth is where it's at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

gandalf wrote: »
    I have absolutely no enthusiasm for this world cup at all. Its not because we didn't make it, I suppose it because of the dodgyness in it being awarded to Russia. I feel the same about Qatar. Typically at this stage before a world cup I'd be planning what games to watch but I really don't care. I think Fifa have shot themselves in the foot with the next two tournaments.

I would have felt that way, but then surely the likes of SA and USA getting it were just as bad back in those times?

It's competitive football, you'll end up following it out of interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The only thing they'll care about is the balance sheet.

I'll moan but I'll still watch it.

Mightn't even be able to stomach Qatar that far though.

Every kick of the ball and you'll be tallying how many dead slave labourers it cost to get the pitch laid just so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Gbear wrote: »
    The only thing they'll care about is the balance sheet.

I'll moan but I'll still watch it.

Mightn't even be able to stomach Qatar that far though.

Every kick of the ball and you'll be tallying how many dead slave labourers it cost to get the pitch laid just so.
    Well just as long as you refuse to visit the Pyramids, or the Taj Mahal, or the Irish stately houses or.... wouldn't want to be accused of hypocrisy now would we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Well just as long as you refuse to visit the Pyramids, or the Taj Mahal, or the Irish stately houses or.... wouldn't want to be accused of hypocrisy now would we?

Many of those currently under construction?

• Advertisement

Agree France have the squad but just don't trust Deschamps to get it right.

I like the look of Spain,excellent squad and a good mix of youth and experience.

Argentina for all the talent they have may struggle I dont think they have the defense to play the style the manger wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's a pretty remarkable angle, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's France, they can as easily be a hilarious failure and exit the group stage without scoring or be spectacular and win it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sugarman wrote: »
    Cant see it with Deschamps in charge. They've an incredible squad and team but play far too negatively, they dont do enough with the ball. Where they should be hammering teams quite easily, theyre struggling to break them down. They usually only beat teams by a single goal and more than a handful of times draw and/or fail to score.

A look back to their qualifying and they had two 0-0 draws with Luxembourg (at home) and Belarus. A narrow 1-0 win against Bulgaria. A narrow 2-1 win over Belarus. These are teams they should be beating comfortably. They also suffered a 2-1 loss to Sweden. Out of their ten games, they only hammered the Dutch 4-0.

Even at Euro 2016, not only did they fail to win the final at home against a fairly poor Portugal side without Ronnie but they made tough work of getting there against teams they should have been putting away far easier. In their group, it took injury time winners against Romania and Albania, accompanied by a 0-0 with the Swiss. Even we had them on the ropes for 60 odd minuets.

Quarter finals, Semi Finals at best I reckon.

Ah, now......... A very good performance by us with a few what ifs but 2-1 flattered us a bit and the stats tell a more realistic story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    so Guerrero has been cleared to play in the WC for Peru, good to see that FIFA seen sense.
    I don't think it was FIFA though, it was WADA that stepped in pressuring FIFA for his sentence to be increased.
    Media seemed to also have reported he tested positive for cocaine but from what I read on it, it wasn't actual cocaine but some other element found in cocaine. This was put down to being served a popular Peruvian hot tea type drink called mate de coca which uses coca leaves (obviously from which cocaine is derived) after a Peru game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm pretty surprised that someone is trying to undermine a point suggesting that thousands of people being worked to death, now, currently, is something that is morally questionable, is worth challenging with this sort of whataboutery.

We're all addicted and FIFA has us by the balls, but whatever about Russia, given some of the **** Western states pull, Qatar should be nowhere near the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funnily enough, same here.

And again not just because we ain't there. We haven't been at WC/EC before and I was really excited about them.

Maybe I'm just getting older and more cynical.

RTe ran an advert last night for it, and the 'starts 14th June' came up and the OH said to me in shock "the World Cup starts in a fortnight, how come you haven't been chatting about it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Bet9jaOfficial/status/1002504193729613825

9:00 - Nike release Nigeria's new World Cup 2018 kit

9:03 - Nike announce that they have SOLD OUT of Nigeria kits

https://twitter.com/Bet9jaOfficial/status/1002504193729613825

9:00 - Nike release Nigeria's new World Cup 2018 kit

9:03 - Nike announce that they have SOLD OUT of Nigeria kits

I'm sure that they will be able to make more.

Also sure that a few dodgy credit card numbers were used in the purchase of said kit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Some kit that is, was gonna preorder but thought they would be grand to get, will have to wait for next batch if there is one, the sold over 3m IIRC

astradave wrote: »
    Some kit that is, was gonna preorder but thought they would be grand to get, will have to wait for next batch if there is one, the sold over 3m IIRC

Nike say that they are not restocking.
    Already on eBay for extortionate amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nike say that they are not restocking.
    Already on eBay for extortionate amounts.

I’ll order from China so, it will be here for the next AFCON

astradave wrote: »
    I’ll order from China so, it will be here for the next AFCON

Use parcel motel or parcel wizard. You should have it in about 10 days or so.

Use parcel motel or parcel wizard. You should have it in about 10 days or so.

Use PM and you will have it around the kick off of world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

While talking about Nigeria the manager has said he'll bring Carl Ikeme to Russia as their 24th player!

pjohnson wrote: »
    While talking about Nigeria the manager has said he'll bring Carl Ikeme to Russia as their 24th player!

That's a nice gesture infairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The whole sterling tattoo furore is such by-the-numbers sabotaging of the english team by the gutter press. The one time they have zero pressure or expectation, and they go and pick another fight, and have already got their scapegoat when things go tits up.

They cant help themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

England v Nigeria - Sterling doing his best to endear himself at this time of crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Sterling baby what is you doin!?! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Horrendous dive from him alright,keeper at least a foot away from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

England v Nigeria - Sterling doing his best to endear himself at this time of crisis.

I think Raheem is already the scapegoat designate in the eyes of the red-tops for when England inevitably/hilariously crash out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The tattoo stuff is such nonsense but he'll deserve the stick he's going to get for that dive. Horrendous stuff, in a friendly. Why bother?

I don't really buy the media are all racist stuff. I think Sterling is just a bit dim and an easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Raheem is already the scapegoat designate in the eyes of the red-tops for when England inevitably/hilariously crash out.

Most Liverpool fans don't care about England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

The red tops are the tabloids, not Liverpool fans!!

Oh dear :o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Welbeck is now just the Calton Palmer of this era.

This is a truly wretched second half side.

If England make it to the last 8 they will be exceeding their competency.

Benimar wrote: »
    The red tops are the tabloids

Thank you for that Cpt Obvious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Thank you for that Cpt Obvious!

You might want to read the 2nd post I quoted. It might be obvious to you and me......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

yabadabado wrote: »
    Oh dear :o:D

Must be an english saying never heard it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm going Spain with Isco to shine. I think France and Germany have better squads but Spain have the better manager and that will see them through.

Advertisement