Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poxyest goal I've seen all day.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What did Whelan say Ramin Neennanowwhno??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I give up. You don't seem to have a clue! This isn't FIFA, it is a world cup match between an Iranian team against the worlds best players.

I am shocked that anyone with a footballing brain, however small, would have expected something different or even criticise Iran for their approach.

Lol talk about high horse ****. Anyway Spain just scored so who thr **** cares about what Iran where trying to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Another 1-0, put your house on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

ERG89 wrote: »
    What did Whelan say Ramin Neennanowwhno??

Sounded like the backwards talk from Twin Peaks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Now we'll see what Iran are made of.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I mentioned only for the lucky win in the first game they be playing for 2 points.

who said they were necessarily playing for a point????

There is a difference between being capable of scoring and wanting to score. Obviously they will try more unconventional ways of getting chances than gung ho attacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Portugal , Uruguay and now spain all stuttering past Saudi, Morocco and Iran... England’s win against Tunisia (plus 2 clear penos missed) is not looking as catastrophic as some were trying to make out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Iran giving this a great aul goo, fair play to them.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Portugal , Uruguay and now spain all stuttering past Saudi, Morocco and Iran... England’s win against Tunisia (plus 2 clear penos missed) is not looking as catastrophic as some were trying to make out....

Alternatively, the rush to play down what Russia have done amassing a +7 goal difference seems foolhardy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow!

JUSTICE!!!!!!!

or not! **** :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Scam

I think it was disalowed for handball not offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think it was disalowed for handball not offside.

It was offside

Scam

Spain Can Attack More.

Is that what you mean?

It was offside

Agreed, just saw it again.

Spain and France benefitting a lot from VAR.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

Agonising! Would be fantastic to see Iran get something here!

• Advertisement

Spain and France benefitting a lot from VAR.....

The game is in general. It's been mostly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Catastrophic? I don't think anyone said that. It was more that some claimed England played great when for a large portion they weren't and instead projected that really good spell they had falsely across 90 min.

Who said it was catastrophic?

People just rightly pointed out that the English performance was no were near as good as the BBC and their pundits said t was on Monday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's funny because the linesman had his flag up and it was backed up the VAR if VAR had of not been the goal would have been disallowed anyway but I would imagine the Iran would have been going mental at the ref but they now don't have reason to protest as VAR correctly backed up the linesmans decision. So VAR really protects the ref from being ridiculed by the opposition every time he makes a controversial decision.

The game is in general. It's been mostly good.

Unless you are England.....

What it suggests though is that there will be less upsets which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The lino had already flagged it. VAR changed nothing, just reassured the ref that the decision was correct.

• Advertisement

I said mostly.

I don't think the England issues were as clear cut as many say.

VAR has brought about more proper decisions and I don't see how it prevents upsets? Bad decisions don't only happen for the underdogs.

Also it has stopped the players crowding around the ref and intimidating him which has to viewed as a positive.

I wouldn't rule out Iran scoring.

decent second half to be fair, all things considered

• Spain getting alot of frees

Spain getting alot of frees

generally what happens when you get fouled, I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Nice see game opened up since Spain scored.

Iran giving it a good go as well. Think they could cause an upset against Portugal!

Who said it was catastrophic?

People just rightly pointed out that the English performance was no were near as good as the BBC and their pundits said t was on Monday night.

Yeh I call bullsh*t on that, the match thread shows it was just bitter anti English fans looking to whine cause they actually played well.

The 30 minutes England played in the first half against Tunisia (where they could of been 3 or 4 up) is better then most teams have thus far shown in the World Cup. If Spain or Argentina put in that kind of attacking display none of you would care at all that they were getting lavished with plaudits... And that’s without the two VAR penos that weren’t considered.

Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Iran have all shown that it’s not that easy to tear these teams apart anymore but there doesn’t seem to be the same kind of critical attack on the sides they were playing today as there was on England....

• generally what happens when you get fouled, I guess?

I'd rephrase that as soft frees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

George, subliminal: "The throw is awarded to Real."

Yeh I call bullsh*t on that, the match thread shows it was just bitter anti English fans looking to whine cause they actually played well.

Only one on about them is you.

The 30 minutes England played in the first half against Tunisia (where they could of been 3 or 4 up) is better then most teams have thus far shown in the World Cup. If Spain or Argentina put in that kind of attacking display none of you would care at all that they were getting lavished with plaudits... And that’s without the two VAR penos that weren’t considered.

Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Iran have all shown that it’s not that easy to tear these teams apart anymore but there doesn’t seem to be the same kind of critical attack on the sides they were playing today as there was on England....

I don't understand why you have such a hard on for England?

They attacked for about 20 minutes, scored one and then let Tunisia back in. Gave them a few chances and then gave away a penalty, that was not soft as BBC said and Walker should have gotten red card in my opinion.

Second half they were awful. Did nothing until they scored near the end.

They never hit the levels of Portugal v Spain. Not did they impress my like Mexico did.

You also forget they were playing Tunisia who are a very ordinary side.

England will get out of the group but will be found out by a better side, most likely in the quarter final and then the Tunisia performance will be viewed from its real perspective.

Finally, you can't just say it's anti English bias to point out a team's failings and dare to disagree with your own biased opinion.

There’s an ignore button. If you don’t want to engage, press “ignore Drumpot”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

It's an Irish forum and Irish people generally hate English international sporting sides, across any sport.

The BBC were being a little over the top but not massively so, it was one of the best performances of the WC so far, although that does say something about the poor standard.

Not only that, but England as a national team have no pedigree and over the past 10 years have turned into a bit of a meme.

I do agree though that England looked extremely good in the first half, some of the interchanges were among the best in the World Cup.

I think they have just as much chance to win it as everyone else, their squad is well balanced. Sure they have one or two drawbacks, but no more than any other contender.

When you look at the performances of the so-called favourites, there is nobody who has looked even remotely convincing so far. Early days obviously - but I think they have a fantastic chance.

What worried me the other night though was Southgate and how slow he was to make changes. Dele Alli should have been off long before he was, and Sterling should have gone earlier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Such a shame a match is longer than 30 minutes eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What a fail that attempt at Ryan Guy's throw in was. :D

• Advertisement

I don't understand why you have such a hard on for England?

They attacked for about 20 minutes, scored one and then let Tunisia back in. Gave them a few chances and then gave away a penalty, that was not soft as BBC said and Walker should have gotten red card in my opinion.

Second half they were awful. Did nothing until they scored near the end.

They never hit the levels of Portugal v Spain. Not did they impress my like Mexico did.

You also forget they were playing Tunisia who are a very ordinary side.

England will get out of the group but will be found out by a better side, most likely in the quarter final and then the Tunisia performance will be viewed from its real perspective.

Finally, you can't just say it's anti English bias to point out a team's failings.

They hit the post (Lingard), cleared off the line (Lingard) , multiple saves from Gk , sterling chance was offside but a sign of how successful their attack’s were. Then they are denied 2 penos on a VAR system that’s saved spain tonight and France against Australia.

Tell me why Australia , Morocco, Iran and Saudi Arabia all deserve more respect the Tunisia? Like I said Murp, convenient double standards when rating England versus everybody else.

I’m not saying England will won anything, I’m saying they have been as impressive as most top teams thus far. If anything Spain and Portugal hav been massively disappointing because they had such an epic game under their belt they had no excuses for not blowing away such poor opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Is it me, or do RTÉ keep changing the configuration of the studio? Lastnight the presenter was on the right and pundits on left, now tonight it’s the opposite.

2 studios maybe

Drumpot wrote:
    There’s an ignore button. If you don’t want to engage, press “ignore Drumpotâ€.

Very mature reply

Very mature reply

That’s your contribution to several posts I’ve made explaining myself and my point. You get the respect you give.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    JUSTICE!!!!!!!

or not! **** :(

No, it was indeed justice in the end, another victory for guardiolaball :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

xabi wrote: »
    Is it me, or do RTÉ keep changing the configuration of the studio? Lastnight the presenter was on the right and pundits on left, now tonight it’s the opposite.

2 studios maybe

Sometimes they do a wide shot of the whole area and it shows there's two studios beside each other.

Drumpot wrote:
    That’s your contribution to several posts I’ve made explaining myself and my point. You get the respect you give.

Your the one complaining about anti English posts when nobody was praising any side really as the most impressive team has been Russia much to many people's bemusement.
    You came on here saying "oh if this was England" as if anyone was praising Spain, most were saying Iran were playing negative and it's up to Spain to break them down.
    England weren't impressive in Match Day one. Neither were Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia or France to varying levels. Portugal & Spain weren't as impressive even in winning today as they were drawing last Friday.
    Sorry if not everyone agrees with your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dfx- wrote:
    No, it was indeed justice in the end, another victory for guardiolaball

That wasn't anything like Guardiola football. Plenty of longer passes in the Spanish, plenty of crosses into the box too. Spain put 29 crosses into the box tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wouldn't be surprised if Iran beat Portugal

• Advertisement

Your the one complaining about anti English posts when nobody was praising any side really as the most impressive team has been Russia much to many people's bemusement.
    You came on here saying "oh if this was England" as if anyone was praising Spain, most were saying Iran were playing negative and it's up to Spain to break them down.
    England weren't impressive in Match Day one. Neither were Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia or France to varying levels. Portugal & Spain weren't as impressive even in winning today as they were drawing last Friday.
    Sorry if not everyone agrees with your opinion.

I’m trialing a VAR of double standards system for England games....

Don’t blame me, it’s not my opinion it’s just fact ... :D

Advertisement