Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MD1990 wrote: »
    Must be an english saying never heard it before

But you presumed it meant Liverpool fans

Cina wrote: »
    I'm going Spain with Isco to shine. I think France and Germany have better squads but Spain have the better manager and that will see them through.

I think Spain tick nearly all the boxes. Isco could well be the star of the show but they need Costa to get onto the same wavelength as the rest of he team,if he does they will be hard stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If England make it to the last 8 they will be exceeding their competency.

They'll surely reach the quarters, even coming 2nd in their group they'll only have to face someone like Poland or Columbia in the last 16 and neither are exactly powerhouses themselves

With how the groups go and how the last 16 draw will happen you can be sure though a half dozen better teams will be gone before they are

I'd expect Columbia to knock out England if they meet.An underrated team .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

yabadabado wrote: »
    But you presumed it meant Liverpool fans

Yes because the post was about Sterling.

I thought the post was saying Liverpool fans will make Sterling the scapegoat for England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

MUTV are showing Bel v port if anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kimmich is playing probably the worst half of football he's ever played at present.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Yes because the post was about Sterling.

I thought the post was saying Liverpool fans will make Sterling the scapegoat for England.

Right

Austria currently leading Germany 2-1 in the Anschluss knockabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Portugal look good and that's with Ronaldo to come in.

• Advertisement

FT. Austria 2 Germany 1. England will probably think it's their year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Can a poll be added to see who everyone thinks will win it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Whats everyone think of Harry Kanes chances for the golden boot?

Im going with Neymar or Greizzman atm and Kane stung me big time in the euros but surely hes gonna do something this time!?

Whats everyone think of Harry Kanes chances for the golden boot?

Im going with Neymar or Greizzman atm and Kane stung me big time in the euros but surely hes gonna do something this time!?

Cant See England going far enough or them playing attacking football for him to get close,they only scored 18 goals in qualifying. One of the worst from a UEFA qualified team
    They do have 2 very handy games in the group where they should be scoring a few .

Lukaku at 18s is a good each bet imo,Belgium will be all out attack and he will be the spearhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They'll surely reach the quarters, even coming 2nd in their group they'll only have to face someone like Poland or Columbia in the last 16 and neither are exactly powerhouses themselves

Both are better than Iceland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Do Argentina have a chance? Would love to see Messi win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

No, their defence is terrible. Midfield not up to much either. Also brought Higuaín instead of Icardi.

Not with the way the team is set up,yhe or defence will be badly caught out against good teams.The high line will kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

yabadabado wrote: »
    Not with the way the team is set up,yhe or defence will be badly caught out against good teams.The high line will kill them.

That reminds me of their quarter final against Germany in 2010. Never have I seen a defence so badly exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Germany looked tired and lacking in concentrated tonight. Consequently lost 1:2 in Austria in a match where nobody looked like they're in World Cup form. Bit of a balls the whole thing since they were based in Russia already for preparation and had to fly back (and back again) and then the match was nearly called off due to pretty bad thunderstorms, hail even. Explains some of the tiredness maybe.
    Neuer looked fine though and nobody got injured. Thats about the best that can be said about this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Think brazil have a great chance . no weaknesses in that team imo. Great spine. And they have mercurial talent of neymar and coutinho

Think brazil have a great chance . no weaknesses in that team imo. Great spine. And they have mercurial talent of neymar and coutinho

Sh1t defense tho (well not sh1t sh1t but not enough for the level required). I don't think they'll be all that great. From a German POV France worries me most, Spain then.

I know that may sound a little too confident (which I'm not really), but Germany would have to be favourites. Good defense, best keeper, incredible depth and quality in midfield, excellent wingers, a bit thin up front but what harm. Mostly though we have good discipline with a neat passing game and don't rely on any standout players. And almost proverbially we know how to do these things. I think that would make us favourites even if I wasn't biased (which I am :D ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have Brazil improved since the last WC?

I still can't get their game against Germany out of my head, they were like a junior side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

None of the sides really impress me. Every team has its weaknesses and none of them look like the complete package out of all the favourites. Belgium are a team of very talented induviduals but can they deliver same about France, Germany don't look as strong as they did in 2014, Spain have some talented players but the golden era between 2008 and 2012 is long over, I don't know if Brazil wounds from 2014 have quite healed just yet and Argentina's defence is awful and even some of their midfield looks a bit ropey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Germany looked tired and lacking in concentrated tonight. Consequently lost 1:2 in Austria in a match where nobody looked like they're in World Cup form. Bit of a balls the whole thing since they were based in Russia already for preparation and had to fly back (and back again) and then the match was nearly called off due to pretty bad thunderstorms, hail even. Explains some of the tiredness maybe.
    Neuer looked fine though and nobody got injured. Thats about the best that can be said about this one.
    Germany have not been in Russia yet. They have been training in Austria for the last 10 days, and will only fly to Russia next weekend.

Germans also played with a bit of a second string team to see how they were getting on. In addition to that Kroos, Mueller, Boateng, Hummels were not even at the game. Difficult to read anything into that performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Utterly shocked to hear that Vincent Kompany went off with a muscular injury against Portugal tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Brazil Squad 2014:

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)

Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (AS Roma), Maxwell, Thiago Silva (both Paris St Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli)

Midfielders: Paulinho (Tottenham Hotspur), Ramires, Willian, Oscar (all Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Luiz Gustavo (VfL Wolfsburg), Fernandinho (Manchester City)

Forwards: Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Fred (Fluminense), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg)

2018 Squad (likely)

Goalkeepers: Alisson (Roma), Ederson (Manchester City), Cassio (Corinthians).

Defenders: Miranda (Inter Milan), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Geromel (Gremio), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Fagner (Corinthians), Danilo (Manchester City), Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid).

Midfielders: Casemiro (Real Madrid), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Paulinho (Barcelona), Renato Augusto (Beijing Guoan), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona), Willian (Chelsea), Fred (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Forwards: Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City), Firmino (Liverpool), Taison (Shakhtar Donetsk), Douglas Costa (Juventus).

The difference is noticeable, both in quality and experience. I thought they were bang average at times to watch 4 years. ago,
    The likes of players like Marcelo and Fernandihno who featured are serial winners now, and many players on the fringe of the first 11 would be in the 2014 team.

Solid in the qualifying stage (if not spectacular) but they have a lot of players peaking in their careers or in good form so they are set up.

The Swiss game should be interesting and will most likely determine who wins the group. Love to see a Brazil v France or Spain knockout game at some stage in the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can't f*ckin wait for the world cup.

Is neymar expected to be fit for brazils opening game?

• Advertisement

DubDani wrote: »
    Germany have not been in Russia yet. They have been training in Austria for the last 10 days, and will only fly to Russia next weekend.

Germans also played with a bit of a second string team to see how they were getting on. In addition to that Kroos, Mueller, Boateng, Hummels were not even at the game. Difficult to read anything into that performance.

Thanks, I must have misunderstood an article I read. There it said that Germany based their training camp in Moscow rather than in Sochi or other more pleasant regions. Next thing they showed them in training. I took that as they were already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody watching the official movies of older world cups? I always loved the 86 and 90 ones. They are worth a watch.

Watch the abuse Maradonna took in the 82 World Cup to get some idea why messi and Ronaldo have much more protection that helps them flourish..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Croatia have a tidy side, a bit thuggish but tidy! :)

sugarman wrote: »
    Just watched 'Return to Turin - Italia 90', new documentary with Gary Lineker, Terry Butcher and Paul Parker on England in 1990. Ireland feature a bit throughout too, not just their clash. Decent watch.

Ive the official FIFA world cup box set 1930-2010 with a disc on each, so i'll probably knock on one a night until the tournament starts too.

I watched it, very fascinating insight into the crap that surrounds the English team.

Do you know what’s funny? It is the media and twat idiot fans that turn people off England. The players and management are usually the ones on the end of the bullsh*t that surrounds the national team. That includes having to deal with the fossilized English FA that does f**k all to support and protect their players unless they stand to gain a financial gain. Ask Beckham how supported he felt by the English Fa after the Argentina red and then how he felt after scoring that free against Greece!!!

Ah sorry.... I can’t help myself !!!!

Watching bits of the older world cups is actually wetting my appetite for a World Cup I haven’t given a feck about thus far!!!

Croatia have a tidy side, a bit thuggish but tidy! :)

I love that... A bit thuggish.... I know what you mean but it made me think of somebody being described as “ever so slightly racist”..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great goal by neymar who came on at HT for Brazil.

• Advertisement

A Bullet

sugarman wrote: »
    Just watched 'Return to Turin - Italia 90', new documentary with Gary Lineker, Terry Butcher and Paul Parker on England in 1990. Ireland feature a bit throughout too, not just their clash. Decent watch.

Ive the official FIFA world cup box set 1930-2010 with a disc on each, so i'll probably knock on one a night until the tournament starts too.

Watched it last week .its very good.

So I guess that's my question answered, he'll be fit.

Sh1t defense tho (well not sh1t sh1t but not enough for the level required). I don't think they'll be all that great. From a German POV France worries me most, Spain then.
    Ederson/allisson
    Danilo marquinhos t silva marcelo
    Casemiro fernandinho

May not be hummels/boateng standard but 3rd or 4th best on quality imo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Have Brazil improved since the last WC?

I still can't get their game against Germany out of my head, they were like a junior side.

They have neymar this time. A proper keeper. 2 proper defensive mids and wont have to play fred(the striker) or hulk who wouldnt deserve wc.
    Also david luiz wont be playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah I've got proper world cup fever at this stage; or it could be just a mild form of malaria after all the midge bites I took here out in the countryside over the last few days.

Was watching goals from 2014 there earlier. Bloody hell, Tim Cahill was absolutely robbed for goal of the tournament. That goal he got against Holland was far and away the best goal scored at that World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Spain vs Switzerland is coming up on Sky Sports Football at 8.
    Spain XI: De Gea; Odriozola, Pique, Azpilicueta, Alba; Silva, Koke, Thiago, Iniesta; Aspas, Costa.

Switzerland XI: Sommer; Lichtsteiner, Schaer, Akanji, Rodriguez; Behrami, Zakaria; Shaqiri, Dzemaili, Zuber; Seferovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Ederson/allisson
    Danilo marquinhos t silva marcelo
    Casemiro fernandinho

May not be hummels/boateng standard but 3rd or 4th best on quality imo

Yeah, it always amuses me the "Brazil's sh*t defence" comments the last few months!

In the last two years, they have played about 25 games and conceded 6 goals! A few goals conceded at the early stages of the qualifying, 2 and a half years ago but since then they have been extremely solid. You are talking serial winners playing at the highest level of club football and to say they are "not enough for the level required" is silly talk!

South America is probably at its weakest (although just in relative terms) strength in the last decade and a half arguably but it is still strong and Brazil cn only beat what is in front of them and after that qualifying campaign and the pressure from the last WC behind them (at home) they will be a bit more confident now

7- 1 was 4 years ago.............

Now maybe their defence will capitulate but there is no strong evidence in the last couple of years to suggest that it is that problematic of an area going into this World Cup

Agreed Tite has them fairly well set up.Be there abouts

Lovely volleyed strike from Odriozola. 1-0 to Spain. Iniesta has looked very good.

https://twitter.com/Gizmofilmz/status/1003359496264192005

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Fair amount of diving from both sides in this game

Oh my God lads how many days is it until it all begins.

It's about a hundred isn't it?

It feels about a hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No Bendtner at the WC :(

pjohnson wrote: »
    No Bendtner at the WC :(

RTÉ should sign him up on punditry duty. It'd be gas stuff.

Switzerland with an equaliser through Ricardo Rodriguez. Poor goalkeeping from De Gea as he lets a tame shot slip through his grasp leading to a tap in.

https://twitter.com/Gizmofilmz/status/1003371480095379457

• Advertisement
Advertisement