Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This world cup shows that the standard of football has improved across the board imo. Very few handy games now bar the likes of Saudi, Panama and maybe Tunisia. Very few proper average sides in it now, no surprised to see France, Germany, Spain ect struggle to beat teams. It's not as easy as it used to be. The game is more global now and more quality players from a range of nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Argentina won't mind seeing that goal go in. Makes it very difficult for Iceland to progress now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Croatia and Nigeria to go through? Will be an interesting last round of games in this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nasty clash of knee to head there. Cracking counter mind you

sligeach wrote: »
    Argentina won't mind seeing that goal go in. Makes it very difficult for Iceland to progress now.

Surely they’ll be worried by the fact that Nigeria would only need a draw against them in the final game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Firmino is not suited to the style that they play really.
    Jesus is more suited, but not a perfect fit for them either.

I haven't seen any evidence of that. Jesus is isolated and not dropping into midfield to help in the build up. He's barely getting a touch.
    What was he doing before that suggested otherwise?

Coutinho is playing off the left, so they've loads of players hanging around there and loads of defenders to cover them, taking all their space, while there's nothing in the middle of the pitch, except the lamentable Paulinho.

Their chances haven't been passing moves or dragging defenders around the place for the most part. It's just been the odd darting run or deep cross.

Even looking at the likes of Uruguay, even though Cavani and Suarez have been shocking, they've been pulling out wide stretching the defence, they've been holding up play for each other and giving each other knock downs. They seem to have a plan beyond just sorta ****ing wing it, which seems to be Brazi's modus operandi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Surely they’ll be worried by the fact that Nigeria would only need a draw against them in the final game.

And Nigeria being full of confidence after a win.

I don't see Argentina winning anyway, I think the whole spirit is gone out of the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I still think Iceland will score so should be interesting half hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It was always gonna be a must win game for them after yesterday.

Croatia will rest players meaning that the Iceland v Croatia game could have a similar climax as the Ireland v Italy at Euro 2016 Croatia won't be giving it their all and Iceland proved in qualifying that they can beat Croatia also if Iceland win that game they will almost certainly qualify on goal difference if Argentina win also unless Nigeria score 4 clear goals in this game or Argentina beat Nigeria 4-0 or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

This game was awful in the first half but second half has been good

Great goal by Musa, you'd think with Nigeria's pacy forward players they'd cause teams a few problems

Argentina have to win regardless of what happens today. I suppose it will make Nigeria more defensive, but if it ends in a draw today and Iceland somehow beat Croatia(they may rest players as they're going to be group winners) then it's out of Argentina's own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

And it's Musa again 2-0 Nigeria

I'd much rather see Nigeria/Argentina in the knockouts, Iceland is a nice story but they're awful to watch

sligeach wrote: »
    Argentina have to win regardless of what happens today. I suppose it will make Nigeria more defensive, but if it ends in a draw today and Iceland somehow beat Croatia(they may rest players as they're going to be group winners) then it's out of Argentina's own hands.

Yeah but the difference is Nigeria won’t have to win. Which was my point about Argentina not being happy about this result. I don’t think they really would have feared Iceland on 2 points heading into match day three. They now will have to come up against Nigeria who will be playing for a point, which is sometimes a dangerous approach to a game anyway, but they can afford to be much more cautious than if they were chasing three points themselves.

This game has been decent. Nigeria deserve to have at least 4. Looking forward to seeing them against Argentina.

Can't see Iceland scoring 2. Argentina will have a tough test against Nigeria. They've had better results/scores than Argentina have had against the same opposition.

• Advertisement

Christ you could see that tackle coming from a mile away. Really stupid by the Nigerian player. Soft but a penalty.

Penalty. Another good VAR related decision today. Didn’t take that long either.

I love how players are accepting the VAR decisions and not protesting and crowding the refs. It really is taking a nasty element of the game out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Penalty. Another good VAR related decision today. Didn’t take that long either.

Clear as day from the side camera

That's an awful penalty.

• Advertisement

Awful pen. Hate those short run ups

Shocking penalty miss. Hate short run ups.

Shocking penalty. Looks like he tried to put the keeper off with the look to the left and the pause. Just pick a spot and concentrate on that. FML.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Awful pen. Hate those short run ups

Snap.

When you can put a penalty in a place where a keeper simply cannot reach it, I dunno why they try all this bollocks with short run ups and giving keepers the eyes.

Gbear wrote: »
    When you can put a penalty in a place where a keeper simply cannot reach it, I dunno why they try all this bollocks with short run ups and giving keepers the eyes.

He f**ked it.

They won’t be a major loss anyway. Prefer to see Nigeria with some of their flair players to progress.

He f**ked it.

They won’t be a major loss anyway. Prefer to see Nigeria with some of their flair players to progress.

You wouldn't bet against them against the Argies.

They've a lot of energy and Argentina look old and tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Musa get the freedom of Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Even if Argentina win, I've a feeling Croatia Will throw the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even if Argentina win, I've a feeling Croatia Will throw the match.

Think throw is dramatic. They'll give their back ups probably their only WC appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

pjohnson wrote: »
    Think throw is dramatic. They'll give their back ups probably their only WC appearance.

I know they'll play their second team, the croat trainer said It last night. However there second team is also very good, I suppose we'll have to see.

pjohnson wrote: »

Even if Croatia take their foot off the gas a bit in terms of performance and team selection, I’m still not 100% convinced that they would lose to Iceland. They will want to finish on 9 points too of course.

Portugal and Argentina both to come second and win in the last 16 leading to Messi v Ronaldo in the quarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Fascinating & more than a bit undeserved that Argentina have a chance in match day 3.
    Serbia vs Switzerland at 7 could be a decent game or bowling shoe ugly as both sides can handle themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd expect a bore of a game and low scoring.
    Going to back U 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

ERG89 wrote: »
    Fascinating & more than a bit undeserved that Argentina have a chance in match day 3.
    Serbia vs Switzerland at 7 could be a decent game or bowling shoe ugly as both sides can handle themselves.
    Nigeria can go through with only a draw.  A win guarantees a spot.  Iceland can go through with a win by decent margin and a Nigerian draw.  Argentina has to win big and hope Croatia narrowly lose to Iceland.  The Croatian coach says he'll rest players against Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

764dak wrote: »
    Nigeria can go through with only a draw.  A win guarantees a spot.  Iceland can go through with a win by decent margin and a Nigerian draw.  Argentina has to win big and hope Croatia narrowly lose to Iceland.  The Croatian coach says he'll rest players against Iceland.

If Iceland don't win Argentina just have to win by any margin to qualify.

Argentina Nigeria will be a cracker. There's so much riding on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Any sign of Hope Solo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Any sign of Hope Solo?

No hope. Just going solo

• Advertisement

Anyone else getting a high-pitched whine on RTE?

Gbear wrote:

Are you talking about Ronnie Whelan or a sound?

A hair in his eye. Hope he's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Gbear wrote: »

That would be Ronnie "the whiner" Whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Swiss unlucky not to be at least level. Serbia very average, Swiss poor defending crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good hit from Xhaka, keeper very unsighted it seemed. The least the Swiss deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Nigeria winning is a double-edged sword for Argentina. Now Nigeria have something to play for and the pressure will be on Argentina again. Would a draw be enough for Nigeria to go through?

Abysmal refereeing just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They clearly weren’t ready for implementing VAR. The inconsistency is probably worse than the consistently bad refereeing that went on beforehand.

How is that not going to VAR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Blatant penalty. Wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Shocking by the ref there

• Advertisement
Advertisement