Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Honestly, it's been a brilliant world cup so far. No standout teams, a good few shock results, Ronaldo etc.

This world cup is wide open and there's an opportunity for a new team to win it if they have the balls to go for it and get a little luck along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Drumpot wrote: »
    those three teams have given England the most heartache in the world cup over the last 30 years. I was thinking when the clock hit 90 mins (when Germany were as good as out) that English fans might start thinking it might be there year!!!

I'm so glad Kroos got that winner, cos the English media were just about to go into full gloat mode. They would have LOVED that.

Instead now they will likely get knocked out by the Germans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

MD1990 wrote: »
    World cup been brillant last few days.

It's been brilliant since June 14th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

those three teams have given England the most heartache in the world cup over the last 30 years. I was thinking when the clock hit 90 mins (when Germany were as good as out) that English fans might start thinking it might be there year!!!
    I'm an English fan and no way would I think it was our year, even if the Germans go out early. If we get to the QF stage, we'll have got about as far as most sensible English fans would hope for. As for the English media, I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of what they print or broadcast.

blueser wrote: »
    I'm an English fan and no way would I think it was our year, even if the Germans go out early. If we get to the QF stage, we'll have got about as far as most sensible English fans would hope for. As for the English media, I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of what they print or broadcast.

Its hard not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Honestly, it's been a brilliant world cup so far. No standout teams, a good few shock results, Ronaldo etc.

This world cup is wide open and there's an opportunity for a new team to win it if they have the balls to go for it and get a little luck along the way.

I’d go for Croatia my self . I thought they were outstanding

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its hard not to.
    Fair point. Let me rephrase it; I wouldn't give much credibility to what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

blueser wrote: »

I was only joking Blueser.

If you look at most of my posts on England , I’m actually cheering them in this tournament and have had a few arguments with people trying to overplay the “England think they are great” sentiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Not sure if it was on this thread lamenting about apres match? I just watched Ire v Eng euro 88. Not sure if it was new, thought I’d seen them all? Anyway sweating with laughter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »

Do you think they have proof that players from other nations are doping too, or just Russia?

I was only joking Blueser.

If you look at most of my posts on England , I’m actually cheering them in this tournament and have had a few arguments with people trying to overplay the “England think they are great” sentiments.
    I wasn't arguing with you. I have indeed noticed your posts this past few weeks. It doesn't really bother me too much, those types of posts you refer to; they do actually have a point. Maybe not so much on this tourtnament as in others gone by. There seems to be a more realistic level of expectation from most England fans and the more sensible journalists for this squad. As I said earlier, a QF would be about the limit for this team. They're not technically good enough to compete with the likes of Spain, Germany, Brazil etc. The England squad will be watching the final on the telly in various beachside bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

ERG89 wrote: »
    NDWC wrote:
    Was impressed with Belgium going forward earlier, they easily could've scored 10

Unfortunately for Brazil in 2014 they weren't playing Belgium instead of Germany.
    Batshuayi (or as my autocorrect calls him Gatsby) could have easily had a hattrick. Despite the clear difference in quality between Tunisia & Belgium I thought Boyata looked poor.
    Glad Tunisia are gone unlike a Australia, Peru or Costa Rica Who have struggled they look completely out of their depth.
    They will be knocked out if England win or draw against Panama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Paully D wrote: »
    Why did they play poorly in the Confederations Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Where does it say that members of the current Russia squad were part of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

eagle eye wrote: »
    Where does it say that members of the current Russia squad were part of this?

I can’t believe that there is anybody who Doesnt even have the slightest suspicion that Russia might of juiced even a little. I mean they couldn’t even beat Austria, let alone anybody else they played this year just before the World Cup. Russia was involved in strategic doping initiative for the Olympics, they have form on this so I think it’s only fair that people are cautious about their current World Cup story.

Yes, it could be level of opposition, the fact that they are playing at home and building momentum. We have South Korea in 2002 as a great example of a side performing well above their perceived ability....

Did Korea just have more goodwill at the time that nobody questioned their rise? Is Russia’s Olympic cheating sticking in people’s minds? Is it a political thing where we think “Russia bad” and “western countries good” by default? I have thought about it cause it’s not like Russia is the only country to engage in cheating. Why do I find it more plausible that Russia are cheating in soccer then lets say Leicester city whose fairytale story was accepted as just a wonderful example of how a small team can win the top prize....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The thing about Russia, they weren't even that impressive in that opening game but they played like machines at times, strength and energy wise. The distance some of them covered was unprecedented from the last two years leading up to this.
    They can afford an average result now against better opposition in Uruguay which will ease suspicions but it'll be interesting to see what we'll happen in last 16.
    I'm convinced they used PED's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The thing about Russia, they weren't even that impressive in that opening game but they played like machines at times, strength and energy wise. The distance some of them covered was unprecedented from the last two years leading up to this.

I'm sure if one looks at running stats now compared to France 98 they are unprecedented too.
    The way football is played at speed now with short recovery times, the fact this tournament is ending 11 months after last season started you'd be naive to believe there are many teams clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm convinced they used PED's anyway.
    I'm convinced that a high percentage of professional footballers are using PEDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Panama players greeting the mascots like it's both their best days of their lives. Quite nice to see.

• Advertisement

Sly elbow there.

Cracking header there Stonesey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Great header.

There’ll be a penalty from an England corner. It was like the Royal Rumble in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Great header, the Panama players too busy dragging out of others creating a huge gap and leaving him unmarked :pac:

That's a poor tackle there. More a hack.

"the end of his world cup" says Ronnie

FFS, he has the guts of 90 minutes to play in the biggest game of his career you would imagine! Even if/when they do get knocked out by losing today!

There’ll be a penalty from an England corner. It was like the Royal Rumble in there.
    I hope Kane has asked the ref to keep his eyes open. Maguire was being held at that corner. Stones wasn't though!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Xhaka and Shaqiri get two game ban for there celebrations.

eegits. Absolute braindead behaviour by them. Hope they get berated and don't play the victims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"the end of his world cup" says Ronnie

FFS, he has the guts of 90 minutes to play in the biggest game of his career you would imagine! Even if/when they do get knocked out by losing today!
    I would listen to Asian commentary over him. Houghton us a moan feck too alright and I'm not fond, but Ronnie genuinely seems to take actual joy from pettiness and misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That looks a poor challenge by Sterling, studs showing, definitely Card worthy. Though Panama as pretty dirty, so wouldn’ really hold it against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

link?
    All I see are reports of a potential 2 game ban.

Blazer wrote: »
    link?
    All I see are reports of a potential 2 game ban.

It is all speculation it appears. Surely the poster knew that! It would be merited though. Very provocative at such a level

Just saw about Salah and the Chechnyan 'reception' they had. At the very least he's an idiot for getting himself caught up in that. I wonder how Liverpool LGBT groups will feel about his 'medal'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

From BBC:
    Switzerland pair Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri face two-match bans for their goal celebrations in their side's World Cup victory over Serbia.

Football's world governing body Fifa is investigating whether they broke rules on political and offensive messages.

Both players are ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, where a Serbian crackdown on the Albanian population only ended with Nato military intervention in 1999.

They made 'double eagle' gestures after scoring, symbolising the Albanian flag.

So nothing confirmed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Delighted to see Panama losing. I’m usually all for shouting for the minnows but they’ve been a horrible team. A combination of rough hand tactics along with constant cheating,diving and moaning at the ref. The sooner they are out the better. Horrible team.

Ironic that the Panamanians were complaining about the length of time the England celebrations were taking, given the blatant attempts at trying to delay the taking of the penalty. They may be "minnows"™, but they're no strangers to some of the dark arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

adox wrote: »
    Delighted to see Panama losing. I’m usually all for shouting for the minnows but they’ve been a horrible team. A combination of rough hand tactics along with constant cheating,diving and moaning at the ref. The sooner they are out the better. Horrible team.

Their shothousing at the penalty was a low point for them.. match is so start stoppy it’s awful to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Corholio wrote: »
    Just saw about Salah and the Chechnyan 'reception' they had. At the very least he's an idiot for getting himself caught up in that. I wonder how Liverpool LGBT groups will feel about his 'medal'.

ah jesus he probably hasn't a clue what he was getting into.
    Footballers barely know what price a loaf of bread is but are expected to know every war criminal alive?
    If I was in Russia I'd probably just accept it and once I figure out what all the fuss is about just refuse to go back there afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Footballers barely know what price a loaf of bread is but are expected to know every war criminal alive?
    If I was in Russia I'd probably just accept it and once I figure out what all the fuss is about just refuse to go back there afterwards.

I think more to the point is it'd take a brave man to tell a lunatic like Khadyrov to **** off and there may well have been pressure from the Egyptian FA or Egyptian government to make nice.

His agent has come out today on twitter and made a few pro LGBT posts, so it seems like they understand the broader picture of what legitimising this guy means.

England. are. contenders.

Getting kicked around yet still playing football

Great goal from Lingard

Lovely finish from Jesse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lingard does a fortnite celebration. Colour me suprised.

• Advertisement

Well he should know considering he already had a photo taken with him a few weeks ago and apologised for it, now he's accepting this medal from him. I very much like Salah, but if it was flavour of the month villain Neymar or Ronaldo, people would be enraged.

Stones on a hat trick :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sterling can’t finish his dinner for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's a well worked goal. Love when training ground moves pay off.

Another deserved penalty. When will Panama learn? Probably never.

This could finish 7 or 8 nil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement