Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Messi is a pretty toxic individual if things are not exactly as he likes, there have been rumours of such for years at this point. Examples too tbf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm being very lazy now, but does anyone know off the top of their head what the permutations are for whoever finishes 1st or 2nd between England and Belgium please?

I asked earlier and it goes to fair play apparently, if they are equal fair play it goes to a coin toss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

astradave wrote: »
    If one team is wearing a light colour the other has to wear dark IIRC

Is that an old rule in relation to black and white televisions which surely no longer applies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is that an old rule in relation to black and white televisions which surely no longer applies?

Dunno, don’t think it’s ever been updated if it is to do with B&W tv

Could be possible that people in third world countries don’t have colour TV’s also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Cuadrado looking lively so far.

Goalkeeper all over the shop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

naughtb4 wrote: »
    She's sick, they mentioned it earlier apparently

Then why have a sick person on TV to offer analysis?

Surely they can forgo their need for gender quality if the person isn't well?

Absolute nonsense.

and ignoring her bad voice, her analysis is absolutely rubbish, be she a man or woman, and she didn't deserve to be offering any insight based on what it appears she knows about the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

astradave wrote: »
    Dunno, don’t think it’s ever been updated if it is to do with B&W tv

Could be possible that people in third world countries don’t have colour TV’s also

Really don't think black and white tvs are around anymore, even in developing countries (Third World doesn't exist anymore).

Anyhow it's just something that annoys me. Happens with club football too.

Poland are one of those teams who now qualify easily and then do sweet F all when they get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I understand it at times some colours be hard to make out Eg Ireland v France as green and blue are quite similar and could be hard to make out for someone who is visually impaired or colour blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Colombia are fully deserving of their lead. They've played all the good football. Poland have done very little going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Whats Stephaine Roche still doing there? She could barely speak after the first game! Very unprofessional from RTE to have her on when she can't talk and keeps on coughing in the background.

And thats besides the fact shes a rubbish analysist

What happened to the idea of hiring the best people for the job?

(I’m aware that makes the likes of Dunphy etc sound better than they are..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

England or Belgium wouldn't fancy Colombia in the next round (if they get through).
    Didi is good on rte but bar that the panel and presenter are muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Whats Stephaine Roche still doing there? She could barely speak after the first game! Very unprofessional from RTE to have her on when she can't talk and keeps on coughing in the background.

She sounds like she had a rough night.
    In fairness to her, her level of analysis no worse then many of her male counterparts.
    I suppose you have to cut her some slack she is a newbie on screen.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Great listening to her sniffing as Didi is chatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Afaik it's for people who are colour blind. Dark and light jersey they can distinguish between the two teams.

FIFA have a tonne of rules regarding the world cup kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ospina seems to have the pain threshold and differentiation ability of a toddler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Is Hope Solo not supposed to be on RTE for the WC? That's Poland gone now, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"And that's the end of that chapter!"

• Advertisement

First ever World Cup goal for Falcao!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Cameraman is gone a bit pervy in the second half.
    Falcao deserved that lead the line well

Delighted for Cuadrado. Very much deserved. Been the best player on the park tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Senegal v Columbia is going to be tasty!

Ugh, just seen it is on during work hours on Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

good to see Higuita and Valderamma still around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

She sounds like she had a rough night.
    In fairness to her, her level of analysis no worse then many of her male counterparts.
    I suppose you have to cut her some slack she is a newbie on screen.

She was at Billy Joel last night, Peter Collins was taking the pish a bit earlier, but she said that wasn't the reason that she has a sore throat but will battle on.

tinpib wrote: »
    She was at Billy Joel last night, Peter Collins was taking the pish a bit earlier, but she said that wasn't the reason that she has a sore throat but will battle on.

Yeah, I used to tell the boss that too when I was hammered the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Men. Oh to be a (spanish speaking) fly on the wall with these two.

Dgewx9vXcAE5GGc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Men. Oh to be a (spanish speaking) fly on the wall with these two.

Dgewx9vXcAE5GGc.jpg

I love how they've done a Pat Jennings and kept their hairstyles

Christ Poland are poor.... What were PSG thinking signing krychowiak!?

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Delighted for Cuadrado. Very much deserved. Been the best player on the park tonight.
    Defo agree quintero brilliant too i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ospina save from lewandowski massive turning point. Great performance from Colombia. Poland so disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I love how they've done a Pat Jennings and kept their hairstyles

And Ronnie Whelan..... :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Loved that game, very entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Poland were a little unlucky with the 2nd goal against Senegal. I don't think they're total tripe by any means. That's one of the best performances of the World Cup so far - maybe the best - by Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Gbear wrote: »
    Poland were a little unlucky with the 2nd goal against Senegal. I don't think they're total tripe by any means. That's one of the best performances of the World Cup so far - maybe the best - by Colombia.

Except maybe when they held the euros - don't think Poland much of a loss.

Anyway - with the amount of falling over and cheating Lewandowski's has done at major tournaments - not too many tears for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Poland are quite gutless team.

Delighted for Columbia. Hope they get out of group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

RE: The kits.

It's to do with accommodating the 2 players kits, the keepers and the ref. Poland's keeper usually wears yellow and were the home team. If Poland's keeper changed to the away strip (green I think). Then it may have affected the Colombia keepers choice and the referee. May have been the only viable option.

Also the opening game Russia (Red) v Saudi Arabia (Green) was a nightmare for colorblind viewers. I was making the players out by their shorts. FIFA wouldn't give a hoot about colour blind clashes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

RE: The kits.

It's to do with accommodating the 2 players kits, the keepers and the ref. Poland's keeper usually wears yellow and were the home team. If Poland's keeper changed to the away strip (green I think). Then it may have affected the Colombia keepers choice and the referee. May have been the only viable option.

Also the opening game Russia (Red) v Saudi Arabia (Green) was a nightmare for colorblind viewers. I was making the players out by their shorts. FIFA wouldn't give a hoot about colour blind clashes

True - but if you gave the right people enough money in FIFA, they would put them out in whatever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't get why goalkeepers need different coloured jerseys to each other though, seems a bit weird given they literally could not be any further from each other on the pitch. Maybe for the event of a last minute desperation keeper-in-the-box scenario for a corner for free kick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't get why goalkeepers need different coloured jerseys to each other though, seems a bit weird given they literally could not be any further from each other on the pitch. Maybe for the event of a last minute desperation keeper-in-the-box scenario for a corner for free kick?

Yup, thats exactly it... in practical terms, they may not end up close by very often, but it's a very simple rule to completely remove the possibility of any issue ever coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Decided to watch the last game on ITV yesterday. Thought it was gas. Keano being his miserable self while Ian Wright and Gary Neville acted like school boys.

Didn't see the thread last couple of days but it would appear both England and Belgium have began to get a little bit of momentum, leading up to a very tasty clash.

Germany being Germany is nothing new there! And Poland...what an absolute let down of a tournament. The panel were right saying they've haven't offered anything to this tournament. Colombia if they find form could be a very tricky outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw a good interview from Keane about 2002 yesterday and thought he put his point across really well. Felt kind of bad about how anti him I was back then. Today I saw we got knocked out by Spain on penalties and South Korea beat them in the next round and my anger kicked off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I hope Spain exits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Decided to watch the last game on ITV yesterday. Thought it was gas. Keano being his miserable self while Ian Wright and Gary Neville acted like school boys.

Didn't see the thread last couple of days but it would appear both England and Belgium have began to get a little bit of momentum, leading up to a very tasty clash.

Germany being Germany is nothing new there! And Poland...what an absolute let down of a tournament. The panel were right saying they've haven't offered anything to this tournament. Colombia if they find form could be a very tricky outfit.
    Keane made a good point about taking each game as it comes. Wright and Nevill were talking about resting players for the quarters and semis FFS.
    They've already lost the run of themselves.

Shearer is drawing praise for highlighting the sport needs a concussion rule. He should really have kicked off a campaign for it on the back of the excellent documentary he had.
    It's so easy to fix, that and blood subs, you have 10 mins, sub a player on while they get assessed/fixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

764dak wrote: »
    I hope Spain exits.

The tournament needs Spain, the midfield players are fantastic. You may hate Ramos like I do but they have some utterly gifted players. I also think there is a chance that they can play croatia in the quarters. That's some mouth watering tie right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

764dak wrote: »
    I hope Spain exits.

I hope Spain go all the way.They have some excellent players and are righly one of the favs.
    I think it was a massive **** up and overreaction sacking the manager, which may come back to haunt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

razorblunt wrote: »
    Keane made a good point about taking each game as it comes. Wright and Nevill were talking about resting players for the quarters and semis FFS.

Shearer is drawing praise for highlighting the sport needs a concussion rule. He should really have kicked off a campaign for it on the back of the excellent documentary he had.
    It's so easy to fix, that and blood subs, you have 10 mins, sub a player on while they get assessed/fixed up.

On the above I found it to be a bit of a laugh. Obviously ex-England players who know the manager and players well would be getting overly excited after their highest ever win in the tournament. The two knew that and we're playing along.

Keano saying something about he knows their sick of him being a downer but it's early days yet and the two boys over there talking about quarters, semis and finals. Then the two burst into laughter. Thought it was in good fun. And to be fair to Keano the man is hard to please, went on a rant about team's having huddles on the pitch haha!

And agree with the Shearer piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

razorblunt wrote: »

Other teams will be resting players for the 3rd group game, so the lads were dead right. It gives others a chance to stake a claim for a position going forward too. It's not like the players coming in will be awful - it will be the likes of Rashford in for Sterling, Dier in for Henderson, Rose in for Young and Cahill in for Maguire. There won't be any more than those.

Roy Keane is hardly an authority on international football given his involvement in our World Cup qualifying campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Saw a good interview from Keane about 2002 yesterday and thought he put his point across really well. Felt kind of bad about how anti him I was back then. Today I saw we got knocked out by Spain on penalties and South Korea beat them in the next round and my anger kicked off again.

It's a classic case of 'he was right but he went about it the complete wrong way'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement