Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That’s poor keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Switzerland with an equaliser through Ricardo Rodriguez. Poor goalkeeping from De Gea as he lets a tame shot slip through his grasp leading to a tap in.

https://twitter.com/Gizmofilmz/status/1003371480095379457

Sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Sell him.
    And they can buy Bravo and/or Hart off us as a replacement!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lovely skill from Lucas Vazquez. Would have been an amazing assist.

https://twitter.com/jagzmadden/status/1003375911301996544

Full-Time: It ends 1-1. Odriozola's performance will be the main positive for Spain. The Swiss once again look like they will be a stubborn team to deal with.

The official opening titles sequence and theme music;

https://twitter.com/WCGoalz/status/1003339994474393601?s=19

As the hip young bros and hos "down the hood" might say; meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The RTE trailer with Dunphy voice over

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has RTE's World Cup line-up been revealed yet? I'm wondering if there will be any surprise names like Ardiles that one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That’s poor keeping.

Just showing everyone that he is Human after all
    blueser wrote: »
    The official opening titles sequence and theme music;

https://twitter.com/WCGoalz/status/1003339994474393601?s=19

As the hip young bros and hos "down the hood" might say; meh.

Thought a new series of Game of Thrones was starting there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Swiss once again look like they will be a stubborn team to deal with.

You mean they will be anti-football, awful to watch and we'll all be cheering on whoever is playing them?

Same as always for me then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Has RTE's World Cup line-up been revealed yet? I'm wondering if there will be any surprise names like Ardiles that one year.

I remember Brad Friedal being good when they had him for a handful of games.

I could never fully understand a single word Ardiles said, but it all seemed to make sense somehow. You could tell nobody in the studio had a clue either - but they still thought he was dead right.

I hope to see Kerr. Lots of Kerr. All of Kerr. Let me pump Kerr intravenously into my veins.

I hope to see Stephen Hunt, at least once. Not necessarily to listen him: just to see what kind of look he's got going on. I remember my shock when he turned up on the screen during Euro 2016. In my mind he was still supposed to look like a particularly rag-arsed resident of Hobbiton, but no one had told me that in retirement he had somehow morphed into a combo of a 70's era Mafia Associate mixed with a dash of Ruby Walsh; a frightening reminder that time waits for no man.

Hopefully not too much Ronnie Whelan who is so negative that he literally makes me want to kill myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ederson/allisson
    Danilo marquinhos t silva marcelo
    Casemiro fernandinho

May not be hummels/boateng standard but 3rd or 4th best on quality imo

They are good player alright but are they really good defenders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Drumpot wrote: »
    Do you know what’s funny? It is the media and twat idiot fans that turn people off England. The players and management are usually the ones on the end of the bullsh*t that surrounds the national team. That includes having to deal with the fossilized English FA that does f**k all to support and protect their players unless they stand to gain a financial gain. Ask Beckham how supported he felt by the English Fa after the Argentina red and then how he felt after scoring that free against Greece!!!

I totally agree with this. Team England themselves aren't the worst usually. It's the English FA, media and public that are Team England's worst enemy. Signing managers for huge monies, talking them up like mad heaping on immense pressure (not so much in recent years admittedly), using awful crap language bringing the rest of the world up against them and indulge in Schadenfreude over every English loss and then zero backing from anyone when they need it most. Playing for England is not really a nice prospect for a pro. Almost a no win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I totally agree with this. Team England themselves aren't the worst usually. It's the English FA, media and public that are Team England's worst enemy. Signing managers for huge monies, talking them up like mad heaping on immense pressure (not so much in recent years admittedly), using awful crap language bringing the rest of the world up against them and indulge in Schadenfreude over every English loss and then zero backing from anyone when they need it most. Playing for England is not really a nice prospect for a pro. Almost a no win situation.

The tabloid press influence is significantly waning in recent years, old school press gained zero traction with their attacks on Sterling as there was a big push back on social media. Imo it's a better atmosphere than previous
    build up to tournaments, and people I've interacted with's expectations are broadly in line with reality.

All that said, town centres across England will be as messy as they ever are and there will be numerous inquests when they go out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The tabloid press influence is significantly waning in recent years, old school press gained zero traction with their attacks on Sterling as there was a big push back on social media. Imo it's a better atmosphere than previous
    build up to tournaments, and people I've interacted with's expectations are broadly in line with reality.

All that said, town centres across England will be as messy as they ever are and there will be numerous inquests when they go out.

When I was at 2002 World Cup in Japan there were a lot of English fans choking to follow Ireland passionately because of the crap that surrounds England national team... It’s sad for their good fans and I would fear that a World Cup in Russia will be gasoline on an underlining hooligan issue for England and Russia.

Did I mention I was at the World Cup in 2002? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ok I started to watch that horrible 1990 World Cup documentary that I thought dolls be the one I remember fondly...

I have tried googling it but can’t find it. It had seals song “solitary brother” instrumental throughout and I always remember the first bit of commentary going something like “the 1990 World Cup starts here in the Magnificat san Siro stadium in Milan” or something to that effect.

Does anybody remember it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Sane left out of the German squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I know little about the Germany squad but based on how key he was to city, sane being left out seems a huge upset. Thought he'd be one of their absolute stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That’s a crazy decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I know little about the Germany squad but based on how key he was to city, sane being left out seems a huge upset. Thought he'd be one of their absolute stars.

Supposedly never plays well for them.

Reus actually going to an international tournament is this real ?

• Advertisement

The Germans must have some squad when Leroy can't get in it. He's been brilliant for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Madness. Must have caused trouble off the field or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say it was very tight between himself and Brandt for the spot. Can't really say Germany are significantly weaker without him such is their strength overall.

Martinez has selected Chadli over Benteke.

Januzaj and Kompany also selected.

I know it is an extreme statement I am about to put out here but I am willing to give Yogi the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe they saw his performances against Liverpool in the CL and decided they'd like a player less prone to running offside - 9 times over two legs!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Martinez has selected Chadli over Benteke.

Januzaj and Kompany also selected.

Well Chadli is a winger to be fair and Benteke is apparently after picking up an injury also! Januzaj will be kipping on Benteke's matress, it seems!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sanè left out but Mario Gomez makes it.

Really crappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The maddest thing about it is that it's not really that bad, it's hard to make an overwhelming case for 'Sane should be there instead of XYZ'. Strength in depth and all that.
    No Miroslav Klose at a World Cup is quite sad.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sanè left out but Mario Gomez makes it.

Really crappy

I wouldn't expect Gomez will be introduced so he can use his pace to create chance :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Saneft out but Mario Gomez makes it.

Really crappy

You aren't comparing like for like.Totally different types of player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Draxler and Brandt over Sane is just a bad call. Draxler is quality but he's been forming an arse crease on the bench all season. Sane has been piss poor for Germany but so has pretty much everyone recently, however he's been the most dangerous and creative German player all year and after the stellar year he has it is simply stupid not bringing him. Reus at a peak is a better player but Reus is surely past that now, and you can't rely on him due to injuries.

Perhaps the nose picking and ball sweat sniffing has some hidden powers.

I wouldn't expect Gomez will be introduced so he can use his pace to create chance :pac:

:rolleyes:
    yabadabado wrote: »
    You aren't comparing like for like.Totally different types of player.

I'm not comparing like-for-like

Don't see the need for Gomez in the squad

Draxler and Brandt over Sane is just a bad call. Draxler is quality but he's been forming an arse crease on the bench all season. Sane has been piss poor for Germany but so has pretty much everyone recently, however he's been the most dangerous and creative German player all year and after the stellar year he has it is simply stupid not bringing him. Reus at a peak is a better player but Reus is surely past that now, and you can't rely on him due to injuries.

Perhaps the nose picking and ball sweat sniffing has some hidden powers.

In fairness to Brandt, he is probably more diverse than Sané - He can play through the centre or left wing. Sané is all left wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Brandt has never really impressed me in the 4-5 times I have seen him.

Sane's pace alone should have him in that squad. Draxler & Brandt both not lightening quick & both cut inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

In fairness to Brandt, he is probably more diverse than Sané - He can play through the centre or left wing. Sané is all left wing

Sane played well on the right wing for Schalke when he was there cutting in so I'm not sure about that. Draxler and Brandt are fundamentally probably more versatile but I still can't see the logic of leaving him out. Sane has been immense this season, granted he's either a 10/10 or a 4/10 but in a cut throat tournament where players with speed and direct running like Sane are invaluable, even off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Sane just hasn't done it yet in the German team. He has hardly had a good game for them. He played against Austria last weekend, and was (again) terrible.

There have also been concerns about his impact on the squad. According to some reports he isn't very liked in the squad and doesn't get on very well with some of the Senior Squad members. And for Loew the harmony in the Squad always stood above individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

. Reus at a peak is a better player but Reus is surely past that now

Not really, no. He's still brilliant, and has been fit for a while now. Although yeah it could all go to pot as it always seems to with him.

Sane played well on the right wing for Schalke when he was there cutting in so I'm not sure about that. Draxler and Brandt are fundamentally probably more versatile but I still can't see the logic of leaving him out. Sane has been immense this season, granted he's either a 10/10 or a 4/10 but in a cut throat tournament where players with speed and direct running like Sane are invaluable, even off the bench.

He has literally only been playing left wing the last 2 years though. Obviously it's just a case of Lowe seeing Brandt as more diverse. it would've come down to him or Sané in the end for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Karius not in squad either!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The maddest thing about it is that it's not really that bad, it's hard to make an overwhelming case for 'Sane should be there instead of XYZ'. Strength in depth and all that.
    No Miroslav Klose at a World Cup is quite sad.

Klose was a big part of every world cup from my childhood to now. Quite sad to see him gone. A genuine legend of world cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    I remember Brad Friedal being good when they had him for a handful of games.

I could never fully understand a single word Ardiles said, but it all seemed to make sense somehow. You could tell nobody in the studio had a clue either - but they still thought he was dead right.

I hope to see Kerr. Lots of Kerr. All of Kerr. Let me pump Kerr intravenously into my veins.

I hope to see Stephen Hunt, at least once. Not necessarily to listen him: just to see what kind of look he's got going on. I remember my shock when he turned up on the screen during Euro 2016. In my mind he was still supposed to look like a particularly rag-arsed resident of Hobbiton, but no one had told me that in retirement he had somehow morphed into a combo of a 70's era Mafia Associate mixed with a dash of Ruby Walsh; a frightening reminder that time waits for no man.

Hopefully not too much Ronnie Whelan who is so negative that he literally makes me want to kill myself.

The more Kerr, the better. That's the starting point.

Also, that highlights show with Kenny Cunningham. That was great. Stephen Hunt was on that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Italy playing Holland in a friendly tonight.

I know neither of them deserved to be there, but i wish they were. Both teams you'd be highlighting every game on the old wallchart as must see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Klose was a big part of every world cup from my childhood to now. Quite sad to see him gone. A genuine legend of world cups.

Yeah always a sad moment when you've no 'ever presents' left. I think Lothar Matthius was mine, 5 world cups from 82-98 and played on (wrongly unfortunately) until Euro 2000.

You still have Rafael Marquez left this time.

:rolleyes:

I'm not comparing like-for-like

Don't see the need for Gomez in the squad

Gomez is their only real target man if they need it. A different plan if the main isn't working. He was never in danger of loosing his spot really.

• Advertisement

Gomez is their only real target man if they need it. A different plan if the main isn't working. He was never in danger of loosing his spot really.

I don't see him getting much (if any) game time.

I don't see him getting much (if any) game time.

He'll probably start the 3rd group game with the likes of Süle, Plattenhardt, Goretzka etc. but unless things are going really títs up nope. Gomez only real competition for the role was probably Wagner tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Karius not in squad either!!!!!!

Shocker.

Meanwhile the Barca #1 is Germany's #3..... which shows the amazing strength in depth... and a waste of a position.//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Shocker.

Meanwhile the Barca #1 is Germany's #3..... which shows the amazing strength in depth... and a waste of a position.//

He's definitely their number 2, Trapp has played 4 games for PSG this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Argentina have so many prolific forwards they can afford to cut Icardi from the squad!

• Advertisement
Advertisement