Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

That Ronaldo GIF is hilarious. Obviously cut intentionally to show no contact with his face. Totally unnecessary too since it was a nothing incident even without fanboy editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Uruguay have been worse than Portugal in there 3 games ,
    I don't think there is much to pick between them , Uruguay have 2 good forwards opposes to Portugal's one but I think Portugal middle and wingers are stronger, Then Uruguay have better centre backs but Portugal have better full backs , Its a real toss up ,

I'd argue given the opponents, Portugal have been really poor IMO, the 3-3 draw was a great score line but Spain were the better side. I think last night didnt help at all that they went out not to lose the game and benched some of the creative players. Portugal will need some resolve to beat Uruguay who are no shrinking violets themselves so its going to be a real war of attrition.

Suarez v Ronaldo is this summers Pool v Utd, should be good craic. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Barcelona v Real Madrid surely? As a Liverpool fan I've no problem with acknowledging Suarez is a thug now he's a Barce player. Loved him when he was playing in England but it's time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

VAR is great craic, should never be done away with.

It could be tweaked a bit by having the video recording cameras slightly out of focus ......even more craic.

There should be a fifth official who would run onto the pitch in the event of a dispute so that the players could legally beat the crap out of him to get rid of any frustration. :pac:

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Barcelona v Real Madrid surely? As a Liverpool fan I've no problem with acknowledging Suarez is a thug now he's a Barce player. Loved him when he was playing in England but it's time to move on.

On Boards, less likely to be a Barca v Madrid thing.

Uruguay do have a few Atletico players too so I reckon tensions will be running high on Saturday evening.

Spain topping their group has also bought them an extra day rest for their last 16 game, theyre playing Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »

It could be tweaked a bit by having the video recording cameras slightly out of focus ......even more craic.

There should be a fifth official who would run onto the pitch in the event of a dispute so that the players could legally beat the crap out of him to get rid of any frustration. :pac:

As long as its someone like Ronnie Whelan or Steve McManaman, I'd be all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

mewso wrote: »
    That Ronaldo GIF is hilarious. Obviously cut intentionally to show no contact with his face. Totally unnecessary too since it was a nothing incident even without fanboy editing.

It's actually just the first gif that came up from searching "Ronaldo Iran elbow".

To be fair you wouldn't have to go far to find one that makes it look like a non event because it was that.

Anyway, feel free to post up a better gif if you feel the previous doesn't reflect the actual event.

Like I said last night, the tweet from RTE shows a full clip and that has the same outcome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Jaysus I was attacking the GIF not the poster. Don't take something you found on google so personally. In my opinion the GIF is an edited version of what we saw. I could be wrong. Either way its no reflection on you. Sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As long as its someone like Ronnie Whelan or Steve McManaman, I'd be all for it.

Has to be McManaman, that man is as disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Like I said in the other thread, I think the ref bottled the Ronaldo decision. He is the best player in the world at the moment but that was a red. I think FIFA want Ronaldo i the tournament longer then the iranians because of the revenue he generates, him being the most famous footballer at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup-2018/he-has-become-a-caricature-he-has-become-a-joke-eamon-dunphy-launches-scathing-attack-on-roy-keane-37049224.html

In what has to be the premier example of the pot calling the kettle black analogy. I never understand irony is this it?
    I specifically avoid rte because of dunphy. I would avoid most of their poor pundits and commentators anyway, but to see dunphy giving out that Keane doesn't know much about football is a bit comical given the final straw for me was at the Asturias World Cup where dunphy didn't know the names of so many players, had done no research on smaller teams, and seemingly none on the bigger teams to with references to Argentinian defenders that literally do not exist and labelling of Colombia as "headless chickens" with no idea how to defend (Colombia had the best defensive record in all of South America for 2014 qualifying if I recall).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup-2018/he-has-become-a-caricature-he-has-become-a-joke-eamon-dunphy-launches-scathing-attack-on-roy-keane-37049224.html

In what has to be the premier example of the pot calling the kettle black analogy. I never understand irony is this it?

I find Keane incredibly boring and a caricature at this stage

if anyone else made the comments that Keane has made, he would be the first to tell them to stop hiding behind the pundits chair/assistant managers job and go out and do something

He gives zero insight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Akrasia wrote: »
    Regarding handballs it surely can’t be that hard to come up with specifications for exactly what is and isn’t a handball which can be easily enforced in the age of VAR. They could use a combination of criteria such as position of the arm, distance from where the ball last changed direction before striking the arm, speed of the ball, exactly where on the arm the ball makes contact, unnatural movement of the arm after the ball is kicked.

Like you alluded to, VAR has been introduced but all the grey areas of the rules haven’t been changed accordingly and therefore too many decisions are still open to interpretation, and inconsistencies based on where the offficials come from is still an issue.

It can appear like VAR is a good way to let somebody upstairs or who knows where make a decision but ‘different interpretations’ can still be used to not make other decisions. It makes corruption easier than ever imo.
    The only criteria should be if the player moves his hand towards the ball after it has been kicked, whether it's accidental or not, contact with the hand could deny a striker a goal. The movement towards the ball requirement would prevent people from kicking the ball directly at other players hands to get penalties.
    Whatever it is they just need to have some specific criteria so we all know if it is or isn't a foul. With the current rate of penalties maybe they need to reintroduce indirect free kicks in the box (don't know when I saw one last) for certain fouls too. With VAR I think defenders are being more careful but attackers will just get better and better at making penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

first time I saw the Ronaldo incident I thought it was a bit of argy-bargy between the 2 players, which it was, but then Ronaldo tries to get past him a second time and sticks the arm in his face. It's a glancing elbow, but he definitely could have walked for it - he was lucky (or as Chippy Brady suggested, Gianni Infantino was in the ref's ear screaming "don't send him off!!").

The whole game was a VARse - as someone on Twitter said the Uru-Por match will be the world cup final of sh!thousing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

If it was the other way round it probably would be red and Ronnie is still rolling round the pitch:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Akrasia wrote:
    Even if Ronaldo's arm/elbow grazed the Iranian lads face it's still not a foul because the iranian lad was leaning back into him trying to obstruct him and ronaldo was trying to get around him to play the ball which was a good 10 yards away from him.

It was definitely a foul.

I don't think it was a yellow card offense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Argentina has become a massive soap opera at this stage. The aguero interview, the revolt by the players, Mascherano and Pavón flaking the heads off each other, the press conference with Sampaoli no where to be seen, the constant changing of the tactics by sampaoli, Maradona wanting to have a meeting with the players, the Simeone audio and the minute silence they had on tv over there. Even if they do go out, it has sure been entertaining haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Argentina has become a massive soap opera at this stage. The aguero interview, the revolt by the players, Mascherano and Pavón flaking the heads off each other, the press conference with Sampaoli no where to be seen, the constant changing of the tactics by sampaoli, Maradona wanting to have a meeting with the players, the Simeone audio and the minute silence they had on tv over there. Even if they do go out, it has sure been entertaining haha.

Had a bit of a debate the other day. I thought Argentina have been one of the most let downs of an international side in a long while. My friend argued he felt bad for Messi as he has to carry the team due to lack of any good players.

Personally I don't agree with that. I agree he ends up having to carry the team but not due to the players talent but the tactics and mentality of relying on him.

I look at that squad and I know people have doubts over a lot of the players but the likes of Otamendi, Rojo, Biglia, Mascherano, Benega, Di Maria, Higuain, Aguero, Dybala. They have left some good players behind too but surely there is enough talent there to pose a threat, at least get out of the groups comfortably.

They've looked dire and just scraped through the qualifications, and now struggling in the group stages. Yes they are not the best team in the world, but they have far better players than some let on.

What is killing them is poor setup, mentality and failure to work together. They all look to Messi it seems, void of any real plan.

I assumed, like most others, that Sampaoli would be a revelation for Argentina.

Hes been poison but I suppose the Argentina FA have been in serious trouble for quiet some time now so the national team under performing isnt all that shocking if you looked back on everything objectively.

Theyve a slim chance at getting out of the group but I do think Nigeria will beat them.

mewso wrote: »
    Jaysus I was attacking the GIF not the poster. Don't take something you found on google so personally. In my opinion the GIF is an edited version of what we saw. I could be wrong. Either way its no reflection on you. Sheesh.

What? I'm not taking it personally at all. The GIF isn't edited as far as I know. The RTE clip backs that up as it's the same angle and same action as the GIF.

All I'm saying is that you seem to think there is evidence being hidden (by an edited clip) so can you please show me the clip where it looks like a red card offence? If its out there I genuinely want to see it, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Once Messi retire Argentina will come good, I think Brazil are coming close to falling into the same trap with Neymar
    Setting up the system to suit one player and telegraphing it to the opposition, Players look for him to much and also just expect him to carry them and almost pass there responsibilities on to one player,
     I'm also sure there are guys that resent the power given to Messi/Neymar, They have a say over squad and first 11 which is not right, 
    Unreal talents but end the of the day footballs a team game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I assumed, like most others, that Sampaoli would be a revelation for Argentina.

Hes been poison but I suppose the Argentina FA have been in serious trouble for quiet some time now so the national team under performing isnt all that shocking if you looked back on everything objectively.

Theyve a slim chance at getting out of the group but I do think Nigeria will beat them.

I think they have much more than a slim chance to get out of the group. I think they’ll beat Nigeria tonight and Iceland will probably draw/lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Once Messi retire Argentina will come good

They have a pretty old squad & not a lot of quality in midfield, defence or in goals. A lot could retire after this tournament & long term they have Dybala, Icardi & maybe Pavon or Martinez will come good but they are not sure things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd like for Messi to win a WC. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who earns €70M a year and achieved all he's achieved. I don't think his career will be defined by his failure to win a WC but it would certainly be enhanced.

Icardi not in the squad is mental

Mental how Giroud plays for Franc,e
    I know people will say he has a great record for them but l so would who ever took his place if you got the  chance in that team, He is so so limited,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know people will say he has a great record for them but l so would who ever took his place if you got the chance in that team, He is so so limited,

Like you said his goal scoring form is keeping him there. Most of Frances talent comes from the likes of Griezmann, Dembele, Fekir, Thauvin and Mbappe which takes off the pressure a bit from the lone man. It's a system really built around the idea that Giroud is there for one thing only, scoring, while the rest of the attackers put on a show.

In terms of other options than Giroud in that type of role, who haven't been called up it would be probably Lacazette or Ben Yedder. Lacazette I was a bit surprised wasn't brought along.

So current squad Giroud is the most natural for that position. Like you said his record (think he's just behind Henry and Platini for goals) is another reason he gets away with it.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I know people will say he has a great record for them but l so would who ever took his place if you got the  chance in that team, He is so so limited,

Like you said his goal scoring form is keeping him there. Most of Frances talent comes from the likes of Griezmann, Dembele, Fekir, Thauvin and Mbappe which takes off the pressure a bit from the lone man. It's a system really built around the idea that Giroud is there for one thing only, scoring, while the rest of the attackers put on a show.

In terms of other options than Giroud in that type of role, who haven't been called up it would be probably Lacazette or Ben Yedder. Lacazette I was a bit surprised wasn't brought along.

So current squad Giroud is the most natural for that position. Like you said his record (think he's just behind Henry and Platini for goals) is another reason he gets away with it.
    I think he is 4th all time behind the two you mentioned and DT .
    But ye I get what your saying make's sense ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hitchens wrote: »

Or a text in vote for the decision.. make a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Once Messi retire Argentina will come good, I think Brazil are coming close to falling into the same trap with Neymar
    Setting up the system to suit one player and telegraphing it to the opposition, Players look for him to much and also just expect him to carry them and almost pass there responsibilities on to one player,
     I'm also sure there are guys that resent the power given to Messi/Neymar, They have a say over squad and first 11 which is not right, 

Brazil are nowhere near relying on Neymar the same way as Argentina do with Messi. Argentina have a severe lack of ball players like Messi, not in quality, but in type of player. Brazil have Coutinho, Firmino, Douglas Costa etc, while not potentially the same quality, the room for expansion in the teams play is a lot more than Argentina, with more always coming in the pipeline. Argentina may play with a bit less of a focal point though and that may solidify them as a team but it's hard to ignore losing a player the quality of Messi and the negative effect it would have.

I think Giroud is a pretty good foil for the likes of Greizmann and Mbappe though. The others all want to play nice one touch and drop off the front. Giroud will lead the line, back into defenders, challenge for crosses and just be a nuisance. Greizmann won't do that.

That's all in theory though because today this has been boring as can be.

If Benzema hadn't tried blackmailing a team mate he'd be have a decent run in the front man position. Fills that role well for Real allowing others to really shine.

Corholio wrote: »

Brazil are nowhere near relying on Neymar the same way as Argentina do with Messi. Argentina have a severe lack of ball players like Messi, not in quality, but in type of player. Brazil have Coutinho, Firmino, Douglas Costa etc, while not potentially the same quality, the room for expansion in the teams play is a lot more than Argentina, with more always coming in the pipeline. Argentina may play with a bit less of a focal point though and that may solidify them as a team but it's hard to ignore losing a player the quality of Messi and the negative effect it would have.
    Brazil aren't there yet but with Neymar's ego inflating there starting to head down that road, Out of the 3 guys you mentioned only one starts ,
    I really think when Messi retires it'll benefit Argentina, stranger things have happened
    Plus that's not a knock on Messi, its a knock on there other players and there coaching staff,

Corholio wrote: »

Brazil aren't there yet but with Neymar's ego inflating there starting to head down that road, Out of the 3 guys you mentioned only one starts ,
    I really think when Messi retires it'll benefit Argentina, stranger things have happened
    Plus that's not a knock on Messi, its a knock on there other players and there coaching staff,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hearing George Hamilton putting a French inflection when pronouncing some of the players names reminds me of that episode of Simpsons with the chowder.

It's Mendy, not MonDee you numpty.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I think they have much more than a slim chance to get out of the group. I think they’ll beat Nigeria tonight and Iceland will probably draw/lose.

I dont know, Argentina should have won the first game but they were hopeless against Croatia, if it wasnt for Caballero and they played until right now, it would still be 0-0.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think they have France 2010'd themselves tbh.

FourFourFM wrote: »

I dont know, Argentina should have won the first game but they were hopeless against Croatia, if it wasnt for Caballero and they played until right now, it would still be 0-0.

:o
    They where absolute crap in both games,
    This is a if my Aunt had nuts she'd be my Uncle type argument ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Good to see Peru look like they heading for a win.
    They have played pretty well in the other two matches, and brought serious amount of fans in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Watching on ITVHD on Sky, accidentally went down a channel to see BEN (African channel) is showing the game in pixel format with the news playing over it. I think my Sky box is broke!

Wait, they've now killed the news audio and are playing the game again (ITV feed).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

France have been awful in the 3 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm fairly sure the France v Denmark game is the first 0-0 of the tournament. It was fairly dour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

2 teams who had absolutely no interest in winning the game once Peru scored.
    Deserve every boo they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Know a lad with a tenner on no scoreless draws in the group stage at 80/1. Sickener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How did this Danish team slaughter us.

They are awful. Very little ambition or interest in playing attacking football. Anti football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What a pathetic game. I'm not surprised whatsoever that that was the result but I thought Denmark might've given it a go.

France are a very boring team to watch, surprisingly negative given the players they have.

Delighted for Peru to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

first goalless draw in this World Cup:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was a carve up. Both teams happy with nil nil.
    Call it a fix if you want, that's more or less what it was. Look how buddy buddy they all are at the end, no attacks at all, both happy.

Fed up with these teams who have no interest in playing football.

And I would love a totally open draw once it gets to the knockouts. Fed up knowing months ago who a lot of teams were likely to play if they get out of group.

Everyone in together, mix it up. Bit of excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Know a lad with a tenner on no scoreless draws in the group stage at 80/1. Sickener.

Price was nowhere near that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It reminded me of Die Hard 2 there at the end, Fekir has a shot at goal and doesn't do anything afterwards, like the young fella shooting live rounds in the attack on the Church.

ITV and Southgate have gone very David Brent-esque, talking about how the team "carries more than just a team, its the psyche of modern day England" and all that shíte. MON on the panel saying he had no idea what he was on about at the end.

It's just football Gareth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

NIMAN wrote: »
    How did this Danish team slaughter us.

They are awful. Very little ambition or interest in playing attacking football. Anti football.

Didn't really need to do anything today apart from play for a 0-0 once Australia were losing.

That said they were poxed against Peru.

• Advertisement
Advertisement