Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It should be a couple of great games ahead this Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Argentina France has a huge damp squib warning with it at the minute, hopefully both teams can turn up and play their best

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Thought I was neutral in this world cup til Argentina went 2-1 up, first time jumped for a goal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Teams won't mind the prospect of facing Argentina in the next round they really need to get their **** together one way or the other.

Been brutal again tonight even Banega has tired this second half, nobody stand out for them at all.

France vs Argentina.. both teams not in the best of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

As poor as France have been, I can't see them not beating this Argentina team. A Nigerian defence were looking comfortable for most of this match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

France v Argentina is going to bore the tits off us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/delinquentweet/status/1011697315327946752?s=19

This is why Maradona will always be the most memorable player in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mascherano has taken a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but you can't question his commitment and he's made some vital interventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"Armani is very sharp": bet he's been waiting all game to get that one in.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fantastic team selection from Aguero tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Got to feel for Nigeria there, think they deserved at least a draw. Great drama though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I Just Love the World Cup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think VAR and the fact someone appears to have changed the rules as to what constitutes a penalty have added to the entertainment enormously.

Suppose we may as well keep the conspiracy talk going too, obviously that ref was told by FIFA not to award that penalty as they wanted Messi in the next round.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Suppose we may as well keep the conspiracy talk going too, obviously that ref was told by FIFA not to award that penalty as they wanted Messi in the next round.

No conspiracy when the ref gave the correct decision, which he did tonight. Last night, however......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

what happened in Saipan Eamon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Delighted Iceland are out.

I think France will run riot against this Argentina side.

Banega brought some real quality to the midfield I'm surprised Sampaoli never played him from the start. Thankfully the players picked the right XI. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ERG89 wrote: »

Because he has three hands?

Sampaoli went straight down the tunnel too AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I must find this clip

It was an interview with that fella Gabriel Clarke. It really, really was horrific.
    Lee Dixon said afterwards that if he (Southgate) ran for PM he'd have his vote.

You could see MON thinking WTF!!

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Because he has three hands?

Someone holding him back/up. Twas certainly him.

https://twitter.com/JimmyConrad/status/1011697543397294080?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

sligeach wrote: »
    Mascherano has taken a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but you can't question his commitment and he's made some vital interventions.

I'd like to know why he wasn't made leave the pitch when he was covered in claret. Rules are rules. He got away with giving some lip as well. Wouldn't be a fan of his at all.
    The manager stormed off afterwards without a handshake to the Nigerian manager. That's not a rule,I know, but manners at least.
    Don't think they have much and think France will outfox them in the next round.
    Group A vs B, I can't decide either tie, but I have France and Croatia getting into the last 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Would have more sense for the Nigerian head coach to shake hands with the man actually calling the shots for Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

eigrod wrote: »
    No conspiracy when the ref gave the correct decision, which he did tonight. Last night, however......

?

Last night was no way in hell a penalty, particularly not anymore then the one not given tonight.

Plus, theres always a conspiracy. Just need to take a point of view and you can see them in almost everything, sure it doesn't matter if they are bat**** crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's dreadful Argentina possibly the worst in recent history bar Messi. Messi is really pulling that team kicking and screaming on his shoulders if it wasn't for him they wouldn't even be at the world cup.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's dreadful Argentina possibly the worst in recent history bar Messi. Messi is really pulling that team kicking and screaming on his shoulders if it wasn't for him they wouldn't even be at the world cup.

Wouldn't go that far now, he looked good there for about 20 minutes in the first half. That was about it, Banega was excellent until he started to tire and got sloppy, Messi was pretty much anonymous after half time though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Wouldn't go that far now, he looked good there for about 20 minutes in the first half. That was about it, Banega was excellent until he started to tire and got sloppy, Messi was pretty much anonymous after half time though

Banega tired because he was covering mascherano all night.

Mascherano is gone, he's got the heart of a lion but the legs just can't do the work.

Banega was class though. They needed to find the right balance for the France game.

Id drop Di Maria but Meza is terrible and he (they) won't play Dybala either.

Higauin was really poor too so trying to dislodge Aguero, he's failed that test. Messi's ball through to him might have found Ageuro who's quicker over the ground and in his mind. He also missed an easy enough chance that had Messi steaming on to the pull back but he ballooned it.

The back line was exposed but Nigeria were poor and wasted decent chances.

I do think France will turn them over all right though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought the worst Argie tonight was Higuain.

He was slow, awful first touch, no danger for a forward. Looks overweight or not fit.

Shocking that Icardi is sitting watching this at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Maradona is a disgrace. The state of him tonight, embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Maradona is a disgrace. The state of him tonight, embarrassing.

Been taken to hospital.

NIMAN wrote: »

He was slow, awful first touch, no danger for a forward. Looks overweight or not fit.

He seems to be prolific in Serie A and in the UCL for Juventus and previously Napoli but he can't cut on the international stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

NIMAN wrote: »

I think he's largely hated by the squad though, after what he did to (former teammate) Maxi Lopez, ruining his marriage, stealing his wife (the fairly insufferable Wanda Nara), and getting Maxi's kids faces tattooed on his arm.

His presence might not be all that welcomed by his teammates, many of whom are very close with Lopez. And like it or not, trying to cultivate a good group dynamic is crucial to a tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think he's largely hated by the squad though, after what he did to (former teammate) Maxi Lopez, ruining his marriage, stealing his wife (the fairly insufferable Wanda Nara), and getting Maxi's kids faces tattooed on his arm.

His presence might not be all that welcomed by his teammates, many of whom are very close with Lopez. And like it or not, trying to cultivate a good group dynamic is crucial to a tournament.
    Wasn't aware of the background with him. He sounds a right see you next tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

does Brian Kerr EVER take a breath? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

2 quarters of the draw confirmed.

Top half semi finalist from.
    (Uruguay v Portugal) V (France v Argentina).

Bottom Half semi finalist from.
    (Spain v Russia) V (Croatia v Denmark).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If he wasn't a former world class footballer, you would be saying who is that world class gobsh*te of a fan.

The face of the woman with the glasses make me laugh though she looks disgusted at his behaviour. Embarrassed for him

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sligeach wrote: »
    There's only 1 Messi. GOAT.

I was wondering why the hatred for Ronaldo and now I know why.. another delusional Messi fan who can’t bear the thought that there’s someone as good as him. If Messi had even half of Ronaldo’s determination he’d be producing it for his country on regular basis.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Even hated by the Inter ultras dispite being by far their best player over the last 4 or 5 years. Threatened to get Argentine scumbags after them

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/17/mauro-icardi-v-inters-ultras-an-unhappy-chapter-in-his-ongoing-san-siro-saga

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37706446

http://www.punditarena.com/football/sokeefe/inter-ultras-icardi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

When was he doing that. at the end or when Nigeria scored? Sad to see him like that. He's like a geriatric patient at this stage, but his issues are self inflicted.

TheCitizen wrote:
    When was he doing that. at the end or when Nigeria scored? Sad to see him like that. He's like a geriatric patient at this stage, but his issues are self inflicted.

Seemed like it was when they got the second.
    He's far from perfect, he's always one bad decision away from tipping over the edge but I think a lot of people like him more because he is flawed as a person & absolutely not fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Blazer wrote: »
    I was wondering why the hatred for Ronaldo and now I know why.. another delusional Messi fan who can’t bear the thought that there’s someone as good as him. If Messi had even half of Ronaldo’s determination he’d be producing it for his country on regular basis.

Ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He does produce for his country on a regular basis. The football world got a bit ahead of themselves based on 2 world cup games.

I suspect it will be a real backs to wall performance against France. If France take the lead and it will be curtains for Argentina like against Croatia. Argentina will look to break on the counter attack and you can't deny they have the quality going forward and Messi could really flourish if France put too many men forward. It has all the makings of a cracking game let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I suspect it will be a real backs to wall performance against France. If France take the lead and it will be curtains for Argentina like against Croatia. Argentina will look to break on the counter attack and you can't deny they have the quality going forward and Messi could really flourish if France put too many men forward. It has all the makings of a cracking game let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

You say all this as if Argentina will show up with a game plan! Backs to the wall? Their players will jog around aimlessly. Hope your right though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hitchens wrote: »
    does Brian Kerr EVER take a breath? :)

He has been the best commentator bar none at these World Cup games....some of his one liners have been classic and he has all his research done on every single team.

He does produce for his country on a regular basis. The football world got a bit ahead of themselves based on 2 world cup games.

Slightly more than that. He did sodall in the last World Cup or the copa America.
    He’s a fantastic player and I rate both him and Ronaldo the same.He’s far more natural skill than Ronaldo but Ronaldo works damn hard to get where he is and without a doubt he has one of the highest work ethics in a footballer.
    The whole who’s better or not annoys me.both are without a doubt the best footballers by a huge margin we’ll see in our lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Slightly more than that. He did sodall in the last World Cup or the copa America.
    He’s a fantastic player and I rate both him and Ronaldo the same.He’s far more natural skill than Ronaldo but Ronaldo works damn hard to get where he is and without a doubt he has one of the highest work ethics in a footballer.
    The whole who’s better or not annoys me.both are without a doubt the best footballers by a huge margin we’ll see in our lifetime.

By that reasoning, Ronaldo's done sod-all in this World Cup too.

Messi got 4 in the group stages in 2014. From what I remember, none were from penalties or goalkeeping errors either.

This is the problem with people's constant desire to compare the two - you start seeing or remembering what you want. Why not enjoy both players, and be fair to both?

fyfe79 wrote: »
    By that reasoning, Ronaldo's done sod-all in this World Cup too.

Messi got 4 in the group stages in 2014. From what I remember, none were from penalties or goalkeeping errors either.

This is the problem with people's constant desire to compare the two - you start seeing or remembering what you want. Why not enjoy both players, and be fair to both?

It doesn’t matter whether they were penalties or goalkeeping errors. You still have to be in position to take advantage of them. But you’re right. Both are fantastic players and a delight to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement