Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Maradona is a disgrace. The state of him tonight, embarrassing.

I'd have some sympathy for Maradona. When you consider where he came from. He has to have some mental health issues and whether he was born with them or brought them on himself is anyone's guess. Certainly some of the characteristics that made him a fantastic footballer make him a lousy human being.

There's something majestic about his rags to riches story. What he did in 86 and winning two titles with Napoli when before that no Southern Italian team had won one. I don't know if he could have been better but being addicted to drugs at his peak can't have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's actually so frustrating to watch Argentina.

All that fire power up front and void of ideas. They constantly look for Messi, can't blame them with his ability, but end up passing to him when they shouldn't.

The short corners to Messi leading to nothing, passing to him surrounded by defenders when men were free, it's just so annoying. It hampers not only the team but Messi too. If you have players like Dybala, Higuain and Aguero, then midfielders who can play a pass like Mascherano, Banega, Biglia, and DiMaria you should be doing much better with the ball.

For all their possession in opponents half they are woeful. France haven't been firing on all cylinders and they could shock them, but they really need to sort themselves out, and I'm not sure if they have the time. Stop trying to force the ball to Messi and let it come naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A problem for Argentina is they have little pace in the squad.
    Di Maria looks past it now. Pavon should start against France saturday. Would provide some pace.

Biglia needs to come in for Masherano. The main problem is Argentina lack the fitness to press for long periods. Very lucky last night because they were out on there feet in the 2nd half against a poor Nigeria side.

France will pick them off in the 2nd half on the game on saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He has been the best commentator bar none at these World Cup games....some of his one liners have been classic and he has all his research done on every single team.
    Not watching kn rte this year because nearly every other aspect is unbearable, but would agree here from 2014. I groaned when I heard his voice in the booth having not expected it, but found him to be excellent. Almost like a baseball or cricket commentator in that he knows exactly how to fill 'dead time' where absolutely nothing is happening on the pitch. Doubt it would happen but I'd be delighted to see him get a fat pay bump is Sky, BT or a US station picked up on him. I also reckon the Yanks would love him.

Blazer wrote: »
    Slightly more than that. He did sodall in the last World Cup or the copa America.
    He’s a fantastic player and I rate both him and Ronaldo the same.He’s far more natural skill than Ronaldo but Ronaldo works damn hard to get where he is and without a doubt he has one of the highest work ethics in a footballer.
    The whole who’s better or not annoys me.both are without a doubt the best footballers by a huge margin we’ll see in our lifetime.

Oh come on now, it wa SA bit of a joke giving him player of the tournament when he wasn't even the best on his own team (Mascherano takes that with ease) but t say Messi did nothing in the last world cup is taking the mick. Despite a piss poor final and semis, he was almost surely -at least- in the top 10-12 players that tournament regardless of who you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'd have some sympathy for Maradona. When you consider where he came from. He has to have some mental health issues and whether he was born with them or brought them on himself is anyone's guess. Certainly some of the characteristics that made him a fantastic footballer make him a lousy human being.

There's something majestic about his rags to riches story. What he did in 86 and winning two titles with Napoli when before that no Southern Italian team had won one. I don't know if he could have been better but being addicted to drugs at his peak can't have helped.

There’s only so much you can let slide. Addiction isn’t an excuse for being a horrible human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Sampaoli's touchline antics look like an over enthuistic under 8s manager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Speaking to the French at work they seem very happy with getting Argentina. Most saying they'd rather just worry about nullifying Messi than Croatia as a whole. Some even saying they're happy they avoided Nigeria!

Goes to show the opinion of the Argentina squad at the moment. I reckon there could be a rude awakening. France haven't hit the ground running performance wise yet. Will be an interesting Saturday anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

There’s only so much you can let slide. Addiction isn’t an excuse for being a horrible human being.

Horrible human being ? Not so sure about that.

Addiction and/or alcohol substance abuse causes people to do all sorts of rotten things in all walks of life.

In the Sporting arena, Maradona, George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Paul Gascoigne, Alex Higgins, Stan Collymore etc have all been guilty of dreadful acts away from their sport. Doesn't mean they are all horrible human beings, but alcohol/substance abuse/addiction is a common denominator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Quite a few parallels between Gascoigne & Maradona.

Watched Gascoigne's documentary recently. Very sad what happened too him explains alot of his troubles.

eigrod wrote: »
    Horrible human being ? Not so sure about that.

Addiction and/or alcohol substance abuse causes people to do all sorts of rotten things in all walks of life.

In the Sporting arena, Maradona, George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Paul Gascoigne, Alex Higgins, Stan Collymore etc have all been guilty of dreadful acts away from their sport. Doesn't mean they are all horrible human beings, but alcohol/substance abuse/addiction is a common denominator.

Plenty of addicts are genuinely nice people. You have to have it in you to bring it out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not watching kn rte this year because nearly every other aspect is unbearable

Mark Lawrenson brought me right back to RTE :mad:

Stream city over here! :pac:

To be fair I use a projector and PC over TV these days so it's a lot easier. But if I had a reliable stream I would watch that on the TV or laptop over what the TV stations have on offer with the state of things lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

MD1990 wrote: »
    Quite a few parallels between Gascoigne & Maradona.

Watched Gascoigne's documentary recently. Very sad what happened too him explains alot of his troubles.

Do you know anything about Maradonnas troubles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I haven't been able to watch Mark Lawrenson for years as he fancies himself as a comedian. A **** one.

Was it me or was he good back in the day. It's been so long since that I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Lawerenson, Danny Murphy, Glen Hoddle and Hargreaves and Steve Mcmanaman are actually unbearable, I've watch alot of football on mute the last few years.

I will admit Lawerenson comment about the UHD Milk made me giggle though.

Neuer with a boo boo. Almost gifting Korea a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Germany really do look ****e. Not sure why they brought Khedira and Ozil back in.

Ozil's done alright but between the two of them they're a drag on the intensity of the team.

SK look the likelier of the two to score so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Is the RTE Mexico Sweden stream wrong for anybody else - showing content from the news channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I think it's arrogance with this German team. I reckon they Saw the group and said to themselves, we'll piss this. Then they Saw that they had to win today against SK and they had the same attitude. They just look so uninterested and not willing to burst a gut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote: »
    Germany really do look ****e. Not sure why they brought Khedira and Ozil back in.

I'd go with Goretzka, Kroos & Gundogan(only because of lack of options as his form is very up & down the last few years) in behind Brandt, Reus & Werner.
    Muller & Ozil don't deserve to be guaranteed a place anymore; their unimpressive club form has eventually bled into the national team. Even Hummels & Boateng haven't played well since ending up together in Munich.
    Neuer hasn't played a game since last autumn & looked more impressive than those I named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Still hoping for a 3 way tie

Sweden win and Germany win so the 3 of them with Mexico levels on points which will go to goal difference and goals scored :L :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

osarusan wrote: »
    Is the RTE Mexico Sweden stream wrong for anybody else - showing content from the news channel?

Anybody?

On their twitter account it says that the Mexico Sweden match is on the News Now channel (which is 7 on their player) but it is actually just showing news content for me - after clicking on the link in their tweet.

Their RTE 2 player is working alright (it is channel 10 on the player), but not the other one.

could somebody click on this link, then press play, and tell me what they see?

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/

Is it the Mexico Sweden match, or an interview of a farmer with his cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

5star02707 wrote: »
    Still hoping for a 3 way tie

Sweden win and Germany win so the 3 of them with Mexico levels on points which will go to goal difference and goals scored :L :L

A 3way tie on 3 points for second place is also possible if South Korea and Mexico win.
    Not sure who has the splitters there. Looks like South Korea would need a 2-goal win I think? Ah maybe not, Boateng sending off probably gives SK a better fair play count so 1-0 might be enough. Fcuked if I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Is Ray Stubbs doing the Mexico-Sweden analysis on the HT feed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its been a very exciting world cup but all the fav's have failed to shine, if Brazil fail to shine tonight, Then its very very hard to pick a fav ,
    You'd almost have to say whoever wins between Belgium and England tomorrow have been the most impressive side so far,
    Oh I forgot Croatia who have looked like a very good side,

osarusan wrote: »
    Anybody?

On their twitter account it says that the Mexico Sweden match is on the News Now channel (which is 7 on their player) but it is actually just showing news content for me - after clicking on the link in their tweet.

Their RTE 2 player is working alright (it is channel 10 on the player), but not the other one.

could somebody click on this link, then press play, and tell me what they see?

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/live/7/

Working fine on the Player app, if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Uruguay have been good too.

Personally, I think it's great that it's so unpredictable.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd go with Goretzka, Kroos & Gundogan(only because of lack of options as his form is very up & down the last few years) in behind Brandt, Reus & Werner.
    Muller & Ozil don't deserve to be guaranteed a place anymore; their unimpressive club form has eventually bled into the national team. Even Hummels & Boateng haven't played well since ending up together in Munich.
    Neuer hasn't played a game since last autumn & looked more impressive than those I named.

I think they can afford another attacker in there instead of one of those midfielders, particularly against much weaker opposition. Draxler hasn't been great but he's as good a shout as anyone. He can beat a man he's a decent finisher, and any of that four could swap positions so you might see a bit off movement and presence in the box.

But even with that 4-3-3 I think they'd be a fair bit quicker in possession and actually stretch the play occasionally, beyond relying on Kimmich.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

osarusan wrote:

Now I want to see Brian Kerr interview a farmer asking about his cows or kyews as he'd put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd live for a new team to win it outside the usuals, even Uruguay or Mexico..who gave I know, just not Brazil,Germany,Italy,france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Anyone else think Korea should have had a penalty for the incident with Son in the final minutes of the first half? If it was referred to VAR it would have been impossible not to give it, probably why it wasn’t referred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ze Germans are in a spot of bother old chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Panic stations.

Hmm, currently looking at Sweden v Switzerland in the last 16, with the winners potentially facing Senegal/Japan in a QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Anyone else think Korea should have had a penalty for the incident with Son in the final minutes of the first half? If it was referred to VAR it would have been impossible not to give it, probably why it wasn’t referred.

I wouldn’t think so. Germany are pretty poor but that doesn’t make it a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Well Germany are sh1te.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Its been a very exciting world cup but all the fav's have failed to shine, if Brazil fail to shine tonight, Then its very very hard to pick a fav ,
    You'd almost have to say whoever wins between Belgium and England tomorrow have been the most impressive side so far,
    Oh I forgot Croatia who have looked like a very good side,

Don’t buy into the England hype at all. Croatia have played three fairly decent sides with pedigree. England scraped passed Tunisia and hammered the San Marino impressionists. What will make their nonsense even more unbearable is if they beat Belgium reserves.

Germany and Brazil are just getting warmed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I could see Germany going out here. And even if they don’t nobody will be too worried about them. :)

• Advertisement

Germany and Brazil are just getting warmed up.
    Germany have a half na hour to not be getting a plane home in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

again Germany needs to score and win the game if they want to progress. Phew easier said than done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There's still half an hour left and Germany could yet score or maybe Mexico will rescue them.

I'd live for a new team to win it outside the usuals, even Uruguay or Mexico..who gave I know, just not Brazil,Germany,Italy,france

I think there's a decent chance we might see something like Belgium or Uruguay against Colombia or Croatia.

That was a foul, expect some VAR shenanigoats in favour of ze Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sweden now 2-0 up....
    Germany in trouble....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

O.K. So with Sweden now 2-0 up, it's up to Germany themselves to save their own bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

do Germany need to score 2 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Germany might yet be punished for taking off khedira and goretzka for forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Amazing if Germany win they could top the group and Mexico be going home even after winning their first two games.

Could do with a Klose right about now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement