Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Timing his runs better. Jesus would have probably missed that going by how he's played thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Neymar is such an unlikeable player

Ridiculous playacting

Rolling around 6 times

Do you realize the degree of difficulty involved in executing a sixer? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Coutinho has been as impressive as any player in the tournament so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Coutinho has been as impressive as any player in the tournament so far.

Meh, Brian Kerr shades him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Is that a son of Ronnie Biggs that's managing Brazil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jesus is a level or even two below Firmino ,
    Brazil would look a whole lot better with him as there 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"Corner for Brazil." What game are you watching George?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Allison looking like he's signed for Liverpool already

Serbia should be level. Brazil were so lucky.

• Advertisement

George sounds gutted :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mitrovic being idiotic there.. he stays up and attacks that ball and he wins it no doubt

That's probably the end of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sligeach wrote: »
    Serbia should be level. Brazil were so lucky.

I don't think they were lucky, it was poor finishing by Serbia.

Is George drunk? He's made a load of mistakes. He could just be blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Imagine if Serbia had a striker

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rod Wallace comes on for Costa Rica. What about Danny and the other brother (ray?)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Neymar must be extremely frustrating to play with. He is very reluctant to pass the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Brazil would be even more dangerous with Firmino and Costa in for Jesus and Willian. Can't see it happening though while they keep winning.

I'd say Sweden are delighted. Great chance for them to reach the quarter finals. Mexico need to regroup for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Mexico will find nothing of the incredible naivety shown by Germany when they play Brazil. Especially if Marcello is out they'll probably find a lot of bodies left behind, but that means their forwards can tend to be isolated.

I wasn't impressed by Mexico's finishing outside of Chicharito. They'll really need to take their chances. They certainly shouldn't be overawed though. Brazil look strong but they don't look scary.

I really can't imagine that Brazil are going to win a world cup with a CF who contributes basically nothing. Either Jesus has to sort his **** out or they need to put Firmino in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

There wont be a cow milked in Seoul tonight ,delighted to see it,Argies next please

I'd say the odd dog or two will be devoured.

Brazil still looking very solid for me. Convincing in defence and as good as anyone else going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Top half.
    (Uruguay v Portugal) V (France v Argentina).
    Versus
    (Brazil v Mexico) v (Winner England/Belgium v 2nd Senegal/Colombia/Japan)

Bottom Half.
    (Spain v Russia) V (Croatia v Denmark).
    Versus
    (Sweden v Switzerland) v (Winner Senegal/Colombia/Japan v 2nd England/Belgium)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm starting to get the fear lads...

.... Surely England can't win this thing, can they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Japan top group h then there’s no doubt second place is tops in group g.

Had Russia got anyone but Spain or Portugal there was a great chance to have a conveniently timed run of form to the semis.

NIMAN wrote: »

Don't worry it won't happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bottom half looks like a European Championship quarter final lineup with 1 guest.

Top half at least looks like a World Cup with the 3 and possibly 4 Sth Americans plus Mexico in there.

Top half.
    (Uruguay v Portugal) V (France v Argentina).
    Versus
    (Brazil v Mexico) v (Winner England/Belgium v 2nd Senegal/Colombia/Japan)

Bottom Half.
    (Spain v Russia) V (Croatia v Denmark).
    Versus
    (Sweden v Switzerland) v (Winner Senegal/Colombia/Japan v 2nd England/Belgium)

Jesus, 7/8 of the teams in the bottom half are European! That has to be unprecedented!

Don't worry it won't happen

Can I have that in writing?

I'm even thinking of sticking money on them, that'll put an end to their chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Can I have that in writing?

I'm even thinking of sticking money on them, that'll put an end to their chances.

Please do!

Don’t put money on them tomorrow though, they can win that one:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can't see it. The minute they go up against a team with a strong midfield they'll be badly exposed.

Did I hear in the news that that's 3 WC in a row that the champions have gone out in the groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Did I hear in the news that that's 3 WC in a row that the champions have gone out in the groups?

Yes, and 4 of the last 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Correct. Italy, Spain and now Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Not sure if anyone has answered this yet but why is the support for the South American teams so good, in terms of numbers attending, in comparison to the European teams? Denmark brought a cracking 700 to their first game, for example. England's numbers are well down on other tournaments. Brazil and Argentina had 30K each at their games this week on the other hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Berserker wrote: »
    Denmark brought a cracking 700 to their first game, for example. England's numbers are well down on other tournaments. Brazil and Argentina had 30K each at their games this week on the other hand.

Large enough Brazilian community living all over Europe. Just a guess but perhaps the anti Russia sentiment might less prominent in South America than Europe.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Correct. Italy, Spain and now Germany.

France in 2002 also makes it 4/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Was sitting in traffic in the back of a taxi earlier today and had that thought out of nowhere too - truly terrifying

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has answered this yet but why is the support for the South American teams so good, in terms of numbers attending, in comparison to the European teams? Denmark brought a cracking 700 to their first game, for example. England's numbers are well down on other tournaments. Brazil and Argentina had 30K each at their games this week on the other hand.

Don't have the answer to it but its why I'm hoping a south American team wins it. It seems to mean more to them from the anthems , to the support , to the celebrations . And for Brazil and Argentina to the pressure they are under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Don't have the answer to it but its why I'm hoping a south American team wins it. It seems to mean more to them from the anthems , to the support , to the celebrations . And for Brazil and Argentina to the pressure they are under

Bugger that, neymar or half those argie **** pheasants lifting the world cup? If anything, lwt it be uruguay or colombia.

Actually, i wouldn't mind seeing sampaoli win it, after kicking half the team im the balls during a warmup but winning anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nullzero wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder what the Koreans were celebrating. This is a country that got to a semi final in 2002. They're off home too.
    Germany pure dogsh1t.
    Lowe will have to find somewhere else to pick his nose in future after that.

16 years ago. Doesn't mean much for this present crop of players. They just pulled off a massive world cup victory, and beat the champions of the world. Regardless of any other context beyond that, that's worth being proud of and celebrating - especially the manner in which it happened, a 1-2 knock out blow at the death!

nullzero wrote: »
    If Ireland were there in that position I wouldn't want to see our players celebrating that.

Honestly, life is far too short to have an outlook like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

martyos121 wrote: »
    Pity Korea weren’t in with a shout going into this game. Very likeable side.

They were, and they’d be going through if the Mexico Sweden result was the other way around. :(

Korea are one of the most cynical sides in the competition. They spent 90 minutes playing anti-football kicking lumps out of Mexico and started off likewise against last night but the referee was strong enough to give a few early yellow cards. They capitalised on the break against a team throwing everyone forward. Korea are a poor side with one decent player.

I wonder is their sudden likability based on knocking out Germany?

And then at the end they celebrate being knocked out themselves. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Anti-football" has to be one of the most ridiculous phrases in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Korea are one of the most cynical sides in the competition. They spent 90 minutes playing anti-football kicking lumps out of Mexico and started off likewise against last night but the referee was strong enough to give a few early yellow cards. They capitalised on the break against a team throwing everyone forward. Korea are a poor side with one decent player.

They didn't know the score and expected Mexico to win. They thought they had progressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, life is far too short to have an outlook like this.

Exactly, even if Korea were just delighted to beat the world champions what’s wrong with that? “Wait lads, why are we celebrating one of our countries greatest ever results? It doesn’t really count for much!”.

Ireland didn’t win one game in 1990 and we welcomed them home as hero’s. Italy game in 94 (where McGrath was immense in defence) was our only notable game and we all celebrated that game like we had won the World Cup!

Life and sport aren’t always as simple as wining or losing. If you have to always win to enjoy something life will very often disappoint.

pjohnson wrote: »

Whatever. Which term do you use to describe a team just trying to stop the other team from playing by systematic fouling? I’ll gladly use it.

764dak wrote: »

They didn't know the score and expected Mexico to win. They thought they had progressed.

No I don’t believe that and in doesn’t make any sense to me. If you’re sure you celebrate. If you’re not sure you stand around anxiously waiting to find out.

Are you telling me you would run around celebrating if you weren’t sure of the other result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

pjohnson wrote: »

Whatever. Which term do you use to describe a team just trying to stop the other team from playing by systematic fouling? I’ll gladly use it.
    Its called FOOTBALL .
    There is no set way to play, infact its naïve and frankly stupid to try play an expansive game against a side better equip than you,
    Its the beauty of football, 11 men following a certain system can beat 11 more talented men ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement