Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mexican fans went to the South Korean embassy and insisted the ambassador come out and drink tequila.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8udg2k/mexican_fans_went_to_the_korean_embassy_and_made/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

pjohnson wrote: »
    "Anti-football" has to be one of the most ridiculous phrases in use.

Whatever. Which term do you use to describe a team just trying to stop the other team from playing by systematic fouling? I’ll gladly use it.
    Its called FOOTBALL .
    There is no set way to play, infact its naïve and frankly stupid to try play an expansive game against a side better equip than you,
    Its the beauty of football, 11 men following a certain system can beat 11 more talented men ,

It’s basically a term to describe a style of play (albeit a derogatory term). Are we not allowed to describe styles of play now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Whatever. Which term do you use to describe a team just trying to stop the other team from playing by systematic fouling? I’ll gladly use it.
    Its called FOOTBALL .
    There is no set way to play, infact its naïve and frankly stupid to try play an expansive game against a side better equip than you,
    Its the beauty of football, 11 men following a certain system can beat 11 more talented men ,

It’s basically a term to describe a style of play (albeit a derogatory term). Are we not allowed to describe styles of play now?
    no :)_

Its called FOOTBALL .

Of course you can, Just don't understand people moaning about how a lower team play against a super power of football, They have every right to play how they see fit,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't know what someone would call Ireland's style under O'Neill, Semi-Functional :confused:
    What style were Denmark & France even playing the other day was I guess a I-Don't-Want-To-Play style ??

What will England v Belgium look like tonight, its quite clear the easier route to the final will be for the loser ,
    The players will have to know this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What will England v Belgium look like tonight, its quite clear the easier route to the final will be for the loser ,
    The players will have to know this,

I'm on the fence about it. I want to win the game but second place is an easier route on paper. Would be funny if we ended up with a South Park baseball type game. I want to avoid injuries above all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't really see either side going out to throw the game as such, despite the different routes to the final.

I would expect pretty drastic rotation, though, but that just makes sense. Most teams who do well in the squad take a chance to rest players and this, realistically, is the last chance for either of these sides to do it. Would think that England could give starts to Rose, Cahill, Dier, Vardy, Rashford and maybe even Alexander-Arnold.

Can't imagine that lot would take too kindly to being told to take the foot off the pedal in their only World Cup start!!

If either side did throw in the towel and roll over, I'd really enjoy seeing them get spanked by Japan in the next round. Just to show the "no easy games at this level" thing in a clear light!!

Otherwise, once it isn't a repeat of Denmark v France, it should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I don't really see either side going out to throw the game as such, despite the different routes to the final.

I would expect pretty drastic rotation, though, but that just makes sense. Most teams who do well in the squad take a chance to rest players and this, realistically, is the last chance for either of these sides to do it. Would think that England could give starts to Rose, Cahill, Dier, Vardy, Rashford and maybe even Alexander-Arnold.

Can't imagine that lot would take too kindly to being told to take the foot off the pedal in their only World Cup start!!

If either side did throw in the towel and roll over, I'd really enjoy seeing them get spanked by Japan in the next round. Just to show the "no easy games at this level" thing in a clear light!!

Otherwise, once it isn't a repeat of Denmark v France, it should be fun.

That's spot on - would love to see this also... it's just the kind of karma sh1t that football throws up for our enjoyment every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Belgium are making ten changes for tonight. Nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hope England go for it. No point in trying to engineer a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Its called FOOTBALL .

Of course you can, Just don't understand people moaning about how a lower team play against a super power of football, They have every right to play how they see fit,

When I used the term I was talking about Korea’s style against the superpower that is Mexico! :D

I also have no real problem with a team doing whatever is needed to get a result. I was replying to a couple of posters who were saying Korea are a lovely side to watch. Maybe some people like watching that style of football but it’s generally perceived negatively on this site.

Berserker wrote:

Not asking for trouble in the knockout stages by doing that after 2 walkover wins

Berserker wrote: »

Finishing 2nd looks better on paper, so why not.

It's win win for their team. Win and it's the subs getting game time and win confidence. Lose and it's in the better part of the draw(imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Finishing 2nd looks better on paper, so why not.
    We don't know the outcome of Group H yet. There's every chance Poland will try salvage a bit of pride and upend the expected order, or knock Japan out altogether.

I don't think either Belgium or England will be thinking very much about their quarter-final opponent at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd expect Colombia to win and Japan to be reasonably happy with a draw anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This easier route to the final stuff could bite both england and Belgium. If Colombia end up topping the group having to play them in the last 16 would be a very tough game for both Belgium or england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's no problem looking at it as taking the easier route through to the semi or whatever but if you play your second string and end up 2nd you better make damn sure you don't get knocked out in the next round or you will be (deservedly) crucified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Southgate, despite all his analysis and predictions when it comes to managing doesn't strike me as someone who would look to purposely lose to try get an easier path.

I think he will want to rest players, and be careful with yellow cards, but ultimately would want to win the game. Now the players may be a different story.

I have a draw down today but really hard to tell with so many changes on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"You are not allowed to focus on defense first!"

If every team played like 2010 Barcelona the game would become painfully boring overnight. Not because of the style but the lack of diversity in how teams play. Yet that's exactly what some people want, to watch the same match over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until the end of time.

This easier route to the final stuff could bite both england and Belgium. If Colombia end up topping the group having to play them in the last 16 would be a very tough game for both Belgium or england.

True, but there is no way of knowing how that group ends up and Colombia are probably more likely to come second than first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This is Englands first test in the WC, they wont want to "throw" the game.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    First test against Belgium reserves they are resting 10 players,
    If I was Lakaku i'd be fuming not to start, he'll want the golden boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Martinez being his usual stupid self, and resting most of the team instead of keeping them match ready, and seeing how they'll play against better opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

GavRedKing wrote: »
    think they would lose to Columbia in the last 16 if they finish 2nd(providing Col win the group) so they're better going for the win

• Advertisement

First test against Belgium reserves they are resting 10 players,
    If I was Lakaku i'd be fuming not to start, he'll want the golden boot

Isn't Lukaku carrying an injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Billy86 wrote: »
    True, but there is no way of knowing how that group ends up and Colombia are probably more likely to come second than first.

They'll know the outcome of Group H before they play though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

That Belgium team is actually looking very good. Shows the depth they have that they can make that many changes and still look like a very exciting team.

Delighted to see Thorgan Hazard playing, been a fan of his for a little bit and hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

definite penalty - Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

gimli2112 wrote:
    definite penalty - Mane

Not given, correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

gimli2112 wrote: »
    definite penalty - Mane

Definitely unreal great defending by Sanchez no penalty

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Not given, correctly.

meh, VAR conspiracy. I thought he went through Mane to get to the ball.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    definite penalty - Mane
    Ye I thought so to, He got a touch on the ball first but it was still there for mane to score and then he took him out of it with the follow through ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

A great tackle,but took man too,and from behind,

We are always being told you can't do that now.

Sanchez backheeled the ball up pitch away from sane, great timing perfect tackle never a penalty lads take the Liverpool tin foil caps of ye and watch the multi angle replays.

ugh had to switch over from BBC rather than watch Gabby Yorath fawn over J Stones, I'm actually watching ads on RTE instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

davycc wrote: »
    Sanchez backheeled the ball up pitch away from sane, great timing perfect tackle never a penalty lads take the Liverpool tin foil caps of ye and watch the multi angle replays.

They set the standards with the France V Australia game regarding pens so if France got the pen then Senegal should have been award a pen

Laois_Man wrote: »
    They'll know the outcome of Group H before they play though

Actually yeah, fair point. I had todays order of group games backwards for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Let's hope this half is far better than the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

davycc wrote: »

Fairly random attack lol,who mentioned Liverpool? Sane plays for city too btw,softer pens have been given in this comp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fairly random attack lol,who mentioned Liverpool? Sane plays for city too btw,softer pens have been given in this comp

Sanchez plays for Spurs Davycc follows spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Japan currently progressing on the fair play rule - two fewer yellows than Senegal.

Japan currently progressing on the fair play rule - two fewer yellows than Senegal.

it's a crappy way to go out but wait until the next one when there's two qualifiers from a 3 team group. Teams will be going out after two games and a draw of lots.

I was mixing him up with sane apologies guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Winner of England and Belgium’s group will play Japan in the next round with the second placed team to play Columbia.

No disrespect to Japan but it should drive both of them to do whatever possible for a win tonight which should be good for the viewers.

All African teams gone now.
    They got through fair but Japan must be the worst side in the last 16. Talk about lucking out on a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Poor decision with that call for Colombia being offside. Could have been 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tough on Senegal that. Out on fair play.

Think England or Belgium will prefer to see Japan than them in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Did winning group G just become a better reward?? Colombia are a much more difficult team to beat than Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Did winning group G just become a better reward?? Colombia are a much more difficult team to beat than Japan.

Yeah but if you win the group you will highly likely be playing Brazil as opposed to Sweden or Switzerland in the quarter finals.

Advertisement