Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Winner of England and Belgium’s group will play Japan in the next round with the second placed team to play Columbia.

No disrespect to Japan but it should drive both of them to do whatever possible for a win tonight which should be good for the viewers.

The bottom half of the draw is where you want to be. The loser of England/Belgium play Colombia who havn't looked very good and then a quarter final against Sweden or Switzerland. England/Belgium should be trying to kick it into their own net as many times as possible if they want to give themselves the best chance of winning it.

Top half - Portugal/Uruguay - France/Argentina - Brazil/Mexico - Japan/England/Belgium
    Bottom half - Spain/Russia - Croatia/Denmark - Sweden/Switzerland - Colombia/England/Belgium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah but if you win the group you will highly likely be playing Brazil as opposed to Sweden or Switzerland in the quarter finals.

Sure but looking one ahead is a dangerous game. Colombia could easily knock either England or Belgium. Whereas Japan should hold no fear for either.

Before when it was Japan going onto Sweden/Switzerland is was a no-brainer but now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Fromvert wrote: »
    The bottom half of the draw is where you want to be. The loser of England/Belgium play Colombia who havn't looked very good and then a quarter final against Sweden or Switzerland. England/Belgium should be trying to kick it into their own net as many times as possible if they want to give themselves the best chance of winning it.

Top half - Portugal/Uruguay - France/Argentina - Brazil/Mexico - Japan/England/Belgium
    Bottom half - Spain/Russia - Croatia/Denmark - Sweden/Switzerland - Colombia/England/Belgium

There might not be a chance to play Sweden/Switzerland if Columbia knock you out. I don’t think England would be looking further than that fixture if they are being honest with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It'll be a funny one if suddenly the two first teams are out for Belgium and England.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Fromvert wrote: »

I need England to be in top half as I have bet for them to reach the final but also a beet for Spain to win it all

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    There might not be a chance to play Sweden/Switzerland if Columbia knock you out. I don’t think England would be looking further than that fixture if they are being honest with themselves.

I believe England and Belgium would look at Colombia and think they can beat them as well as Sweden/Switzerland. When they come up against Brazil, Spain, Croatia, Portugal, France the belief of being able to win will still be there but they'd have a lot more doubt. It's straight knock out from here and you want the easiest path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sure but looking one ahead is a dangerous game. Colombia could easily knock either England or Belgium. Whereas Japan should hold no fear for either.

Columbia are no better than Japan!
    Either could beat England
    Either could lose to England
    It was a **** group!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Before when it was Japan going onto Sweden/Switzerland is was a no-brainer but now I'm not so sure.

This is what I was saying earlier forget about who you might face in the quarters. Sure Brazil could get knocked out by mexico and not be in the quarters anyway. Both teams should play to win to top the group and gather momentum and now with the way results went to avoid Colombia. Give me Japan in the round of 16 and a potential quarter with Brazil over Colombia in the last 16 and a 50/50 chance you won't make the supposed easy sweden/ Switzerland quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Early rumours that England make 8 changes,only Pickford, Stones Lingard remain

I need England to be in top half as I have bet for them to reach the final but also a beet for Spain to win it all

Had a similar bet, Portugal beating France in the final, Spain equalising in the 91st followed by Portugal conceding in the 93rd minutes and my docket was ripped up.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It was a **** group!

Colombia are definitely better than Japan. Japan would be out if it wasn't for the red card in the first game.

England/Belgium would be big favorites against Japan and probably closer to 50/50 with Colombia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Early rumours that England make 8 changes,only Pickford, Stones Lingard remain

Really looking to let in goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Laois_Man wrote: »

It was a **** group!

Columbia are better than Japan actually...funnily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A Quarter Final finish would be a good result for England and they haven't won a knockout game in years.

I think Southgate will fully want to win this game. Possibly giving his country a quarter final against Brazil at the very least would be seen as a superb tournament and I feel he'll have the one game at a time mentality.

However I agree with the posters pointing out the bottom half of the group is easier, and in particular the quadrant including Sweden, Switzerland and Colombia being a nice run to the semis.

Belgium would fear Columbia less, and would see a 2nd place finish as a possible great chance to make a final, with a dodgy looking Spain side the only traditional big hitter or pre-tournament favourite standing between them and the final.

I don't think Belgium will be going out to purposefully lose tonight at all, but I think they will have a little less hunger to win and Martinez will present it as a "result doesn't matter" game.

Just my feeling on this.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of each set of fans, I think if I were English I would really want to top this group, and if I were Belgian I wouldn't really care / would probably want to finish second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's going to be awkward if Belgium and England players start trying to be booked as neither look to win the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Everyone ready to get behind the three lions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I want to see England get hammered but then they get a handy draw right to the semi's, possibly even the final. It's bizarre that the losers get a better draw. Very lobsided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Colombia are definitely better than Japan. Japan would be out if it wasn't for the red card in the first game.

England/Belgium would be big favorites against Japan and probably closer to 50/50 with Colombia.

You don't know that. If it wasn't for the red card, it's still a 1-0 lead for Japan!

There's been barely anything impressive about Columbia in this World Cup. And now it looks like their best player, James Rodriguez, is injured again with probably the same injury that put him out of that game against Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

sligeach wrote: »
    I want to see England get hammered but then they get a handy draw right to the semi's, possibly even the final. It's bizarre that the losers get a better draw. Very lobsided.

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm glad that it was Japan's honest way that they play that helped get them out of the group.

• Advertisement

0-0 full time. 10-9 on the yellow card count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

That Just Fontaine will never be broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looking like 18 changes from the 22 players who played their previous respective games.

:-/

Dunphy full of crap again. Saying that he's good and praising him. I remember Eamon absolutely slating him when he signed from Everton to Manchester United and for a long time after. Flip flopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dunphy full of crap again. Saying that he's good and praising him. I remember Eamon absolutely slating him when he signed from Everton to Manchester United and for a long time after. Flip flopper.

It's classic Dunphy just trolling everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Belgium selecting Januzaj, in particular, suggests they're settling for second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Vardy looks like he's out there to play at least anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'd much rather play Japan then Colombia, really surprised Belgium haven't decided at least go for it a bit, settling for 2nd it seems.

It'd look more suspicious had they selected Mignolet

• Advertisement

In fairness Dunphy was open about this "flip flopping"

Entitled to change his mind.

Belguim, what are you thinking? You don't want to win. ;)

It would be funny if they took the lead and then scored a deliberate own goal with the last kick of the game. Disguise it though somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Odds on a 0-0 with England picking up a ridiculous amount of yellows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Much better than.i was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

How many group winners will be able to stay at their base camp an extra week?

Yes, a yellow card for Belguim.

• Advertisement

Rose really should be starting over Young

Rose really should be starting over Young

he is.............

he is.............

Yes in this B team game. When they get to the knockout game he should keep his position............ Better? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Dendoncker taking one for the team.

The English Glenn Whelan is something I never thought I'd hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

ERG89 wrote: »
    The English Glenn Whelan is something I never thought I'd hear.

The most apt description of Eric Dier I've ever heard.
    Stealing a living imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Great goal from Januzaj! 0-0 my a**e

Ah Belguim, we know you're the better team but you don't have to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Cracking goal not been a bad game given it's mostly their B teams.

Ronnie Whelan enjoying the sad English fans a bit too much.

Don't worry England, hopefully Belguim will let you score near the end. They're just teasing. :p

Don't worry England, hopefully Belguim will let you score near the end. They're just teasing. :p

Don't think they are reading this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eric Dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

The intermittent chorus of 'god save the queen' always dampens my good wishes for the 3 lions.

She's probably watching Eastenders..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does it yeah?

• Advertisement
Advertisement