Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Sweden would fancy their chances against England I reckon more so than Colombia.

It's always close between England and Sweden. Pretty sure in last 10 meetings.

Sweden: 3
    England: 2
    Draw: 5

But they haven't played each other now in nearly 6 years. However for Sweden, Switzerland will not be push overs. They are a good team and will be hard bet.

Sweden and Switzerland will both be able to defend set pieces something panama and Tunisia couldn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

elefant wrote: »
    Courtois would have controlled it on his chest.

Hes probably a good 4 or 5 inches taller than Pickford, so its possible. :o

I think ITV mentioned Rashfords miss too but I'm not even sure Tbo got a touch to it, on the other hand, had it been Kane one on one with him, he'd have given Tbo no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sweden and Switzerland will both be able to defend set pieces something panama and Tunisia couldn't do.

Their last 16 tie could be an absolute stinker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It seems England fans think the team wanted to lose last nigh. Seriously deluded. Have been saying once they face half decent team they will be chasing shadows. Columbia will dispatch of them with ease no matter how rested the players are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It seems England fans think the team wanted to lose last nigh. Seriously deluded. Have been saying once they face half decent team they will be chasing shadows. Columbia will dispatch of them with ease no matter how rested the players are
    No they won't Columbia are pretty crap . I'd be surprised not to see England make the semi final now, Best chance they have had since 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rashford clearly missed that chance on purpose. All he had to do was slot it across to Loftus-Cheek for the tap-in. Sensible given what was at stake in terms of getting into the other side of the bracket.

Good line from Deadspin:

It always seemed like the one thing potentially holding a Belgium squad that practically overflows with talent would be the ineptitude of their manager. By failing to set his guys up to lose today, Martínez might have have officially borne out those concerns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not sure how people are so certain about England. The only thing I know about them is that I know very little. Bar maybe a hint in their first group game that the confident mask may slip when things go wrong the next two games told us nothing. Southgate, as has been said before, is a likeable guy who has said most of the right things and seems to have the squad in a good place mentally (although the first group game may hint that its not as solid as they are trying to make it appear) but he hasn't really been tested yet when it comes to tactics.

People have lauded him for dropping Rooney. Tough enough to drop the big name players. Was it really that difficult to drop him? I'm waiting for Southgate and his first 11 to face serious opposition and how they deal with proper decisions like what to do when you are 1-0 down with 20 minutes to go. If they handle a toughie like that well then fair play and good luck to them but we really can't know much about them at all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm not really all that convinced about either team trying to throw last night's game. Sure it's a possibility, but it was two rested squads who's main concern was keeping players fit. I don't think they actively tried to lose the game but were not overly concerned with the result.

That being said, for all the talk of how much easier the draw is for Colombia/England I was thinking back.

Yes if Belgium manage to beat Japan they face Brazil or Mexico. And the winner of Colombia/England get Sweden or Switzerland.

The same Sweden who beat Mexico 3-0 a couple of days ago, and the same Switzerland who held Brazil to a draw. Yes by looking at the team names it's easier but based on how the teams have been performing this competition it is no walk in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Belgium & England routes.

Last 16. Japan is inarguably a better option than Colombia. 1-0 Belgium.
    1/4F. Brazil/Mexico is clearly a worse option than Sweden/Switzerland. 1-1.
    Semi. For England a tie against Spain/Croatia (or less likely Denmark or Russia) whilst for Belgium a tie against whoever comes through from Argentina/France/Uruguay/Portugal. Is there a huge lot of difference there? The latter is more loaded but only one can get through after all. Maybe England with Spain or Croatia is slightly better so I'll grudgingly accept a cautious 2-1 England.
    Final. Being is the first semi-final (Belgium) is marginally better as you get a day extra. 2-2.

So I don't think there's that much between the two routes. Or at least not so much that Martinez can be said to have made some sort of huge error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'm not really all that convinced about either team trying to throw last night's game. Sure it's a possibility, but it was two rested squads who's main concern was keeping players fit. I don't think they actively tried to lose the game but were not overly concerned with the result.

That being said, for all the talk of how much easier the draw is for Colombia/England I was thinking back.

Yes if Belgium manage to beat Japan they face Brazil or Mexico. And the winner of Colombia/England get Sweden or Switzerland.

The same Sweden who beat Mexico 3-0 a couple of days ago, and the same Switzerland who held Brazil to a draw. Yes by looking at the team names it's easier but based on how the teams have been performing this competition it is no walk in the park.

The same Sweden who were beaten by an injury time goal by Germany and who beat Italy to get here. Real dark horses the Swedes, who look solid as a rock at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What the **** do I do today ??? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Belgium & England routes.

Last 16. Japan is inarguably a better option than Colombia. 1-0 Belgium.
    1/4F. Brazil/Mexico is clearly a worse option than Sweden/Switzerland. 1-1.
    Semi. For England a tie against Spain/Croatia (or less likely Denmark or Russia) whilst for Belgium a tie against whoever comes through from Argentina/France/Uruguay/Portugal. Is there a huge lot of difference there? The latter is more loaded but only one can get through after all. Maybe England with Spain or Croatia is slightly better so I'll grudgingly accept a cautious 2-1 England.
    Final. Being is the first semi-final (Belgium) is marginally better as you get a day extra. 2-2.

So I don't think there's that much between the two routes. Or at least not so much that Martinez can be said to have made some sort of huge error.

When you put it like that maybe team UK were just dressing it up so a beat by Belgium wouldn't be seen as a bad thing and they could continue the ride on the wave of optimism
    I'm a lot more relaxed having read your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The same Sweden who were beaten by an injury time goal by Germany and who beat Italy to get here. Real dark horses the Swedes, who look solid as a rock at the back.

Sweden's real weakness for me is their attack. I know they haven't been too badly stung by it so far but I think it just lacks quality in that part of the pitch.

A well organised Switzerland could well keep them quiet - it took a Granqvist penalty to break down the Koreans and between another penalty and the own goal against Mexico, it wasn't exactly free-flowing either.

That said, winning the group was very impressive and the reward is a manageable route to the semi-finals really.

All sides on that side of the draw have distinct weaknesses so it really just depends who handles those better, i.e., can Sweden break down a resilient Swiss side and keep the weakish Swiss attack quiet or vice-versa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

rob316 wrote: »

Melt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

xtal191 wrote: »
    Melt
    Say it in a Danny Dyer accent...much more fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

Go to a League of Ireland game? Also Dundalk v. Cork on RTE later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sugarman wrote: »
    Watch Dundalk v Cork on RTE tonight ;)

I just heard, happy days. Should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

tenor.gif?itemid=5155755

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That the highlights of Phil Jones from yesterday astradave? :D

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    That the highlights of Phil Jones from yesterday astradave? :D

As much as we'd never hear the end of it, I'd nearly put up with England winning to world cup just to have that image of big Phil Jones holding it.

Imagine. Messi? No. Ronaldo? No. Phil Jones? Too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The DM's take on yesterday's result is that it may not be a bad thing as they now won't have to face Brazil until the final.

As much as we'd never hear the end of it, I'd nearly put up with England winning to world cup just to have that image of big Phil Jones holding it.

Imagine. Messi? No. Ronaldo? No. Phil Jones? Too easy.

Nick Pope holding it would be surreal enough for me. Imagine saying a year ago that Burnley’s second choice keeper would even make the England squad. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Some Koreans threw eggs and pillows at team after bad performance at the World Cup

Nick Pope holding it would be surreal enough for me. Imagine saying a year ago that Burnley’s second choice keeper would even make the England squad. :pac:

It would kind of be gas.

Picture it now. A dejected Neymar, head dropped walks passed the English dressing room after defeat. A hum of music and laughter from inside. The door flies open as a member of the coaching team powers in with a crate or Amstel. He's not only greeted with a blast of "Come on Eileen", but a glance of the celebrations.

Vardy with a bottle of WKD pumping his arms to an entirely different rhythm, Harry Maguire and Harry Kane just in the corner chuckling with a deep "huh-huh" over and over again, like two insane asylum patients, then out of the corner of his eye, he spots it. The World Cup. It's in the hands of Phil Jones who's displaying one of the most awkward smiles he's ever seen. An image forever burned into his memory.

Just as the door swings to close he spots Jones handing the trophy to someone.
    "Quem diabos é isso?" he blurts out as the grinning Nick Pope gets his hands on the trophy, his first bit of action during the World Cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Next time around we can be watching a 48 team World Cup group game now between Honduras and New Zealand in 45oC in Qatar

And be much happier for it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

It would kind of be gas.
    Just as the door swings to close he spots Jones handing the trophy to someone.
    "Quem diabos é isso?" he blurts out as the grinning Nick Pope gets his hands on the trophy, his first bit of action during the World Cup.
    I'm sorry. This won't happen.
    If it did I could just about imagine Jones lying horizontal on the ground heading the trophy over to Pope, a la "that header".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Oh i know, I was just surprised at it.

I think that people are quick to jump on the "British Media" narrative whereas ours if we had any chance would do the same thing. Wait for the Rugby World Cup as an example, a team that have never won a knock out game will be feted as actual winners :D:D:D:D

In reality the tabloids will go over the top as this is what they exist to do, so far most of the analysis by people that know what they are talking about has been balanced and reasoned.

The Pickford point is a good one, its a clear weakness in his game. Likely from having tiny arms ;)

Hold on there a second. The Irish rugby are ranked number 2 in the world. They have beaten the All Blacks recently. They are 6nations champions and Grand Slam holders and have just won a test series in Australia. Ireland are genuine World Cup contenders in Rugby. This England soccer team have done nothing yet, absolutely nothing to suggest that they are contenders for this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Oh i know, I was just surprised at it.

I think that people are quick to jump on the "British Media" narrative whereas ours if we had any chance would do the same thing. Wait for the Rugby World Cup as an example, a team that have never won a knock out game will be feted as actual winners :D:D:D:D

In reality the tabloids will go over the top as this is what they exist to do, so far most of the analysis by people that know what they are talking about has been balanced and reasoned.

The Pickford point is a good one, its a clear weakness in his game. Likely from having tiny arms ;)

Hold on there a second. The Irish rugby are ranked number 2 in the world. They have beaten the All Blacks recently. They are 6nations champions and Grand Slam holders and have just won a test series in Australia. Ireland are genuine World Cup contenders in Rugby. This England soccer team have done nothing yet, absolutely nothing to suggest that they are contenders for this competition.

And have never won a knock out game in the world cup........

Alot of what you said applies to the year before the last rugby world cup as well. The Irish Rugby team have done nothing in the only competition in which they compete vs the best teams but watch the media blow them up....

All while we sneer at the English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One thing I noticed yesterday was the English media gave Japan a really hard time for just joggin out the Poland game and not bother to play football , Then a few hours later they are talking up England playing a second string because its ok to lose the game,
     Is it just me or is that very just wrong condemning Japan for nothing acting in the spirit of the game but its ok if England aren't to pushed in beating Belgium ?

One thing I noticed yesterday was the English media gave Japan a really hard time for just joggin out the Poland game and not bother to play football , Then a few hours later they are talking up England playing a second string because its ok to lose the game,
    Is it just me or is that very just wrong condemning Japan for nothing acting in the spirit of the game but its ok if England aren't to pushed in beating Belgium ?

The reason they criticised them, was the same reason media from other countries did too. Including here in France, but the media would be supporting Senegal more so here due to obvious connections.

Japan were level with Senegal on points and goals but ahead because they had less yellow cards. The coach then decided, and openly admitted afterwards, to instruct them to not attempt to get back into the game, just to pass it around in their own half, waste the last 15 minutes or so and not to pick up any cards. He said he decided to take the risk that Senegal would fail to score rather than attempt to play, get a booking or worse concede.

So both Belgium and England rested players. Yes. That group was wrapped up and both teams didn't seem overly concerned about which spot they would finish in.

Japans group was not decided. Senegal lost out because of the approach and were hard done by, but that's football. It was gutting for Senegal to lose out in that fashion and of course the media were disappointed not only because Senegal had become popular during the WC but the manner of which they missed out.

Personally the manger took a risk he's entitled to take. No problem with that. It was unlucky for Senegal but that's the way football goes. But I would not compare the two scenarios as being similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ireland 1-1 Holland 1990. Both teams just needed to draw and practically stopped playing in the game to have a BBQ !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Did they mention the Burma Railway or The Bridge On The River Kwai ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The reason they criticised them, was the same reason media from other countries did too. Including here in France, but the media would be supporting Senegal more so here due to obvious connections.

Japan were level with Senegal on points and goals but ahead because they had less yellow cards. The coach then decided, and openly admitted afterwards, to instruct them to not attempt to get back into the game, just to pass it around in their own half, waste the last 15 minutes or so and not to pick up any cards. He said he decided to take the risk that Senegal would fail to score rather than attempt to play, get a booking or worse concede.

So both Belgium and England rested players. Yes. That group was wrapped up and both teams didn't seem overly concerned about which spot they would finish in.

Japans group was not decided. Senegal lost out because of the approach and were hard done by, but that's football. It was gutting for Senegal to lose out in that fashion and of course the media were disappointed not only because Senegal had become popular during the WC but the manner of which they missed out.

Personally the manger took a risk he's entitled to take. No problem with that. It was unlucky for Senegal but that's the way football goes. But I would not compare the two scenarios as being similar.
    If you want to see two teams not trying a leg at this world cup.....try watching the Denmark VS France match....

Literally no one bar Fekir and Mbappe when they were brought on was trying at all.

gmisk wrote: »
    If you want to see two teams not trying a leg at this world cup.....try watching the Denmark VS France match....

Literally no one bar Fekir and Mbappe when they were brought on was trying at all.

I did watch that game. It was dreadful to watch but my post was addressing the comparison being made between England and Belgium resting most of their squads, to Japan playing it safe.

It was easily worst game of this World Cup. (France v Denmark that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The Japanese coach knew England and Belgium would rest players. He rested six starters and that led to that situation against Poland. The Japanese coach reduced Japan's chance of progressing to have a better chance against England or Belgium in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No they won't Columbia are pretty crap . I'd be surprised not to see England make the semi final now, Best chance they have had since 1990

They're crap without James, they can be excellent with him. And it looks like he'll play.

I can't help but think regardless of what result happened last night for England, that the manner in which they've done it, will pile pressure on themselves. They've actively set a much higher expectation against Colombia and, if they get through, especially against Switzerland or Sweden.

Those are not easy games, and we're still yet to see what this England team can actually do against anyone half decent. Honestly, I think they would have had a better chance against a good quality attacking team, rather than the stoic resilience they'll face against the Swiss or Swedes.

I think there's a better chance England won't make the semi's, than will. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Colombians catch that that pretty suspect looking defence out on the break through James, Cuadrado, Falcao, and Quintero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

dfx- wrote: »
    Next time around we can be watching a 48 team World Cup group game now between Honduras and New Zealand in 45oC in Qatar

And be much happier for it..

Bad news:

Sadly that match would be on in November/December as its going to be a winter world cup.

Good news:

Qatar is thankfully only a 32 team world cup. 48 team starts with USA/Mexico/Canada in 2026.

Not sure Qatar could fit 48 teams :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The England team has a couple of standout players at the minute. Obviously Kane is doing a great job both as a finisher and as a leader. Kieran Trippier has impressed and Maguire has been excellent too. More important to me than all of them is the workhorse that is Jesse Lingard. I've been so impressed by him, outside of his finishing(worldy aside). If he can keep that level of performance up then England have a real chance.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The England team has a couple of standout players at the minute. Obviously Kane is doing a great job both as a finisher and as a leader. Kieran Trippier has impressed and Maguire has been excellent too. More important to me than all of them is the workhorse that is Jesse Lingard. I've been so impressed by him, outside of his finishing(worldy aside). If he can keep that level of performance up then England have a real chance.

Henderson has been second only to Kane for me, with Trippier a very close third. The three of those are having a great tournament and will give England a chance against anyone if they keep up their level of performance.

I don’t see the fuss about Maguire at all, he’s far too shaky and prone to errors, as well as being a constant danger of giving away a penalty with his “hands on” approach to defending. The other centre backs aren’t much better though to be fair. Walker isn’t really working there, it’s a shame for England that they have three great right backs with them but only one spot to fill, so they’ve tried to shoehorn Walker into the back three.

Agree about Lingard, he’s been surprisingly good. Just needs to finish the chances, he’s doing everything else at a high level.

And have never won a knock out game in the world cup........

Alot of what you said applies to the year before the last rugby world cup as well. The Irish Rugby team have done nothing in the only competition in which they compete vs the best teams but watch the media blow them up....

All while we sneer at the English
    The Irish media are right to blow them up they are highly ranked genuine contenders. Your comparison doesn’t stand up

• Advertisement

Henderson has been second only to Kane for me, with Trippier a very close third. The three of those are having a great tournament and will give England a chance against anyone if they keep up their level of performance.

I don’t see the fuss about Maguire at all, he’s far too shaky and prone to errors, as well as being a constant danger of giving away a penalty with his “hands on” approach to defending. The other centre backs aren’t much better though to be fair. Walker isn’t really working there, it’s a shame for England that they have three great right backs with them but only one spot to fill, so they’ve tried to shoehorn Walker into the back three.

Agree about Lingard, he’s been surprisingly good. Just needs to finish the chances, he’s doing everything else at a high level.

The players you mentioned haven’t beaten anyone of substance yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TheCitizen wrote:
    The players you mentioned haven’t beaten anyone of substance yet

What teams have beaten anyone of substance?
    Like Argentina got demolished in a friendly by Spain a couple of months ago so Croatia haven't beaten anyone of substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Imagine if Ireland qualified,and the heatwave we are having !

The country would be dead from heatstroke, alcohol poisoning after two weeks of sunshine,no work done.. and if we made 2nd round.. my god

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I'd agree, England have not yet played anyone (aside from Belgium B in a dead rubber) of any substance. Tunisia proved difficult to breakdown, but posed little threat in attack. Panama were never going to prove an issue. England's toughest opponent so far has been VAR.

They can only play whoever is put in front of them. Had they played and beaten a team along the lines of, let's say, Nigeria or Serbia, who may have posed a threat to them, then they'd have been tested.

Not sure what the story is yet on James Rodriguez, Colombia are obviously a better team with him in it. I'm looking forward to that match. To me, it feels like England's first proper match of the tournament.

The perception in the media (not only English media) of an easy side to the knockout rounds may prove to be England's downfall. Playing with the pressure of being favourites could stifle them. Should they fail, it'll be interesting to see who the papers use as this year's scapegoat. My money's on Sterling, the press have been gunning ;) for him before the tournament kicked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Love when the knockouts begin. Even if the matches are dull the stakes are so high it keeps me entertained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think there is an element of English fans and media who think they are already past Colombia and Switzerland/Sweden and in the semi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Will Maradona be fit for the match today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think there is an element of English fans and media who think they are already past Colombia and Switzerland/Sweden and in the semi's.

There also an element of a lot of Irish fans sucking lemons while England remain in the cup and waiting in the shadows with their “ha f**k you” giant fingers for when England do get knocked out....

Best fans in the world !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Drumpot wrote: »
    There also an element of a lot of Irish fans sucking lemons while England remain in the cup and waiting in the shadows with their “ha f**k you” giant fingers for when England do get knocked out....

Best fans in the world !

I actually think England will make the semi's, getting past those teams I listed.

Its then hopefully Spain or Croatia will stop them! Please Lord, don't let them get to the final:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Drumpot wrote: »

Best fans in the world !

You seen the English media after Germany went out!? Stuff like that is why I'll laugh when they get beaten. That and the bitter tears the BBC and ITV will shed.

Advertisement