Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm watching the Beeb, and Danny Murphy does similar.

They were raving about Argies at half time, now in hindsight they are calling them rubbish again.

English love seeing the Argies lose, they can't hide their delight.

To be fair, I am pretty sure it is mutual!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

You’d put your house on Messi finishing that in the Blaugrana.

Thank f*ck this game was not on 3pm on a Monday afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

C'mon Argentina. 1 more.

That should be a f*cking red

• Advertisement

This suits France. Waste the last bit of injury time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Otamendi, horrible player. A faux hard man.

scummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Was it Otamendi who did that in the Croatia game as well?

Ah, what could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Was it Otamendi who did that in the Croatia game as well?

Believe it was indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was that going in before the deflection?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

sligeach wrote: »
    Ah, what could have been.

Thank God it wasn't.

Stop talking $h1t about Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Corholio wrote: »

But he has sleeve tattoos on each arm so he must be hard.

For all the stick Ramos gets for being a ****house,at least he is solid defensively. Otamendi is out and out nasty, and cannot defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How France approach games could be the difference between winning it or not. If they leave it too long before turning it up a bit they could be caught out. They'll be hard to beat if they are on it from the start though. Still gave away some bad goals though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

But he has sleeve tattoos on each arm so he must be hard.

For all the stick Ramos gets for being a ****house,at least he is solid defensively. Otamendi is out and out nasty, and cannot defend.

Untrue he was immense defensively for the vast majority of the season for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thank God it wasn't.

Argentina are pretty woeful. France in 2nd gear most of the fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

How France approach games could be the difference between winning it or not. If they leave it too long before turning it up a bit they could be caught out. They'll be hard to beat if they are on it from the start though. Still gave away some bad goals though.

They looked poor defensively. I believe it’s either Uruguay or Portugal next for them, so either Ronaldo or Cavani and Suarez will get some joy from them for sure. The question is if France can outscore them or not.

• Advertisement

??

At 19 years of age to have that talent and effect on a game, they are hardly over stating what a prospect Mbappe is

ianob7 wrote: »
    Huh ?? France just scored
    My mistake. Wrong keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ah but he's great.
    He can go back to City now with his PFA team of the year award joining fellow football legends like Wes Morgan & David Luiz as past winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

France scored more in that game than in the three group ones against 'weaker' opposition. I think it's a matter of them not hitting full flow just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Ah the irony.

That was a brilliant touch by Giroud to set up the 4th goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Dunphy's so bad, the voice the opinions the dress sense can anyone stop him?

Di Maria hopeless twice there. Another guy that just vanishes when the going is a bit tough.

Agree. Pogba also only plays when things are good. Rojo was awful. Argentina do not have squad good enough to match France. They have maybe five top players. And the coach only picks 2.

Dunphy showing just why he has lost any credibility as a pundit at this stage.

"We first saw him when we were watching him against Manchester City (last season)"................ie a game I was a pundit on.

Proof, not that is needed that probably the only football he watches is when he is in the studio. Imagine being wheeled out to be a pundit when you have done no research into the teams you are about to critique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agree. Pogba also only plays when things are good. Rojo was awful. Argentina do not have squad good enough to match France. They have maybe five top players. And the coach only picks 2.

I thought the players were picking the team?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

think the scoreline flattered Argentina tbh.

It definitely did, if they had gone on to snatch an equaliser it would have been daylight robbery.

Second best for all but 10mins of that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Messi offered nothing when it was required the most. Make no mistake: this hurts his legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There were 18 goals in all 8 of 2014 games at the same stage. The next 3 games could be 0-0 and there would still be same amount of goals as 4 of the games in 2014!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Messi offered nothing when it was required the most. Make no mistake: this hurts his legacy.

What could he do. He kept showing for the ball and tried to make things happen. The team he was playing for wasn't a patch on the team he was playing against.

• Advertisement

Messi retirement to be announced later or tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Messi retirement to be announced later or tomorrow?

He'l probably wait until Portugal gets knocked out.
    There's no way he'll quit while Ronaldo is still in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

To me it looks like he just doesn't have the driving force that say Ronaldo has.

I'm not sure if it was because he was played a little out of position or he didn't have the support he'd generally get at Barca, it looked like he couldn't grab a hold of the game.

You could see Ronaldo at Utd dragging an average side over the line and winning trophies, I'm not sure Messi would've brought success to Manchester in that way.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    To me it looks like he just doesn't have the driving force that say Ronaldo has.

I'm not sure if it was because he was played a little out of position or he didn't have the support he'd generally get at Barca, it looked like he couldn't grab a hold of the game.

You could see Ronaldo at Utd dragging an average side over the line and winning trophies, I'm not sure Messi would've brought success to Manchester in that way.

That Utd team was hardly average ffs.

Van der Saar, Vidic, Evra, Rio, Scholes, Tevez, Rooney, Hargreaves, Giggs, Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It doesn't, nothing negative sticks to the man.

There is always excuses at the ready, Teflon.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Two assists for Messi in the game,not bad for someone who went missing, I'd have him in my team above any other player.

Dunphy showing just why he has lost any credibility as a pundit at this stage.

"We first saw him when we were watching him against Manchester City (last season)"................ie a game I was a pundit on.

Proof, not that is needed that probably the only football he watches is when he is in the studio. Imagine being wheeled out to be a pundit when you have done no research into the teams you are about to critique
    Dunphy is a parody of himself now. Does anybody really take him seriously any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

blueser wrote: »
    Dunphy is a parody of himself now. Does anybody really take him seriously any more?

nope...he's more suited to apres match now than the real coverage..just a farce really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Just think on this ....would he take YOU seriously? :p

The best is when he is wheeled in to give his radio punditry views on Game On or in the morning shows and RTE produce a Headline article on every word he says as if it is sacred and meaningful. And they are usually just cliche views

Hitchens wrote: »
    Just think on this ....would he take YOU seriously? :p
    I'm not on national TV (presumably) getting paid to give articulate, thought out punditry. And to do a bit of research on what you're talking about. Is that too much to expect?

That Utd team was hardly average ffs.

Van der Saar, Vidic, Evra, Rio, Scholes, Tevez, Rooney, Hargreaves, Giggs, Carrick.

I see what you mean but Scholes, Giggs,VDS and Vidic were near retirement home. Hargreaves? Rooney did have a good season but I think Ronaldo made him look better.

Tevez was a decent player, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Charlie19 wrote:
    I see what you mean but Scholes, Giggs,VDS and Vidic were near retirement home. Hargreaves? Rooney did have a good season but I think Ronaldo made him look better.

Ronaldo made Rooney look good? You are a spoofer. I am thinking you didn't even watch them that season.
    Rooney was consistently immense that season, working back every game and getting forward to assist the attack, provide assists and score goals. Imo he was very close to Ronaldo in the player of the year rankings.

I did say Rooney had a good season.

Messi maybe one more world cup?

Looks like he'll forever be in Maradonas shadow when it comes to the national side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement